The Crescent - Von Dietrich House Guard

Discussion in 'Inactive Families & Guilds' started by HeyitsNano, Jan 5, 2019.

1. HeyitsNano

HeyitsNano The Messiah

The Crescent Guard

Protectors of House von Dietrich

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Purpose

With the production of military goods the house is known for, the eventual rise for an armed guard was apparent. The purpose of the Iron Hand Watch is to protect all assets of the family. From their sites of production to the family house and to wherever the family members find themselves. All house guards are usually denied request to prevent criminal activity outside their sites or which does not directly harm the members of the family in order to eliminate any threat of overextending themselves in the face of city law enforcement.

[​IMG]

Operation

Under the supervision of the family patriarch, the guard operates on a strict hierarchy. The patriarch seating himself as supreme commander of all forces, while another member of the family directs the forces based on the will of the patriarch. Regiments are usually directed by captains who will usually lead the forces themselves in areas of operation.

Discipline is highly regarded within the house guard above all else. Failure to uphold the will of the patriarch is met with severe punishment and dishonorable discharge from the guard. As well, due to the meritocracy of promotion within the ranks - discipline can make or break a man in the house guard.

[​IMG]

Roster

Patriarch Supreme Commander

Assigned: Wilhelm von Dietrich ​

Position assigned to the current family patriarch. They are given supreme and utter command over all forces directed by the Iron Hand and their duties extended even beyond the direction of the house guard. @Nano_Kay

Commander of the Guard
    Assigned: Kristups von Dietrich​

Commander of the house guard. Usually assigned to a family member under the advisement of the house's patriarch. Oversees all operations assigned to the house guard, and enforces the will of the patriarch. @onearmsquid

Guard Captain

Assigned: Zandel Solaris​

Assigned captain to a regiment of three squadrons. Issues commands based on the will of the guard commander to his subordinates and directs their combat in the field to accomplish the goal. Responsible for the upkeep of the squadrons and disciplinary actions. @Antartican

Lieutenant

Assigned:​

Assigned leader of a squadron of guardsman. Usually consisting of regular guardsmen or a mixture of guards and conscripts based on the discretion of the guard captain. Responsible for the upkeep of their men and administering disciplinary actions.​

Overseer

In the cases of conscription guard divisions, the Overseer will take charge. These divisions are fully fielded by conscripts, and no regular guardsmen are attached. If it became a mixed division, then the Lieutenant would take immediate command. Most Overseers are staffed for their discipline skills, not their leadership.​

Elite Guardsman

An honorable position within the lesser rankings. Given to a soldier of unmatched discipline within his squadron. The responsibility of this position in formation is high. As they will always carry a large golden staff with the flag of the regiment or military depending on the situation.​

High Guardsman

The veterans of the lesser rankings. The usual stock high-ranking positions pick from and serve as the model of the Iron Hand. Other than their experience they operate similarly to the regular guardsmen.​

Guardsman

The first officially recognized rank within the house guard. These men are the backbone of the watch. Usually less experienced than their high counterpart, but hold the same responsibility of patrolling and keeping the peace.​

Conscript

The conscripted forces of the house guard, usually utilized as cannon fodder or workforce. Comprised primarily of non-ailor men who show passion in war, and an ability to follow basic commands.​

[​IMG]

House Guard Applications

Fill out the below format and post it on the thread tagging @Nano_Kay

IGN:

Character Name:

Character Application:

IC Letter to the House Patriarch:

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #1 HeyitsNano, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  2. Reaganism

Reaganism 40th President of the United States

Alright, I will be /that one guy/.

Königliche implies there is a König, a king. You may want to change that.

Hauswache is the literal translation of "House Guard", except to me it more refers to a patrol around an estate instead of a family's elite guard. The German word for a household guard is "Leibgarde".

Oberbefehlshaber is a very high militarty rank and is a bit awkward to use.

Kopfschutz is the literal translation if "head guard". But it means "head protector", referring to sports equipment. Consider Hauptmann.

Träger des Adlers is the literal carrier of a literal eagle. A standard bearer is a Fahnenjunker or an Aquilifer.

Hoch and Niedrig aren't used for German ranks, despite them meaning high and low. Ober and Unter are used. Like for Oberbefehlshaber.

Wehrpflicht is the legal term for draft, it does not mean conscript. A draftee is called a Rekrut as simple as that, or a Pflichtsoldat or Pflichtsöldner.

Wache does not mean guard. Wache means patrol or a patrol station. The famous German song has "Die Wacht am Rhein" refers to the German duty to safeguard the Rhein, nit the protectors of the Rhein. A guard organisation is a Garde.

But here comes worse. Wachen also means "to wake up", whereas a "Wacht" or "Wache" refers to a vigil. So a "Königliche Hauswache", to me as a Gerrie speaker, means a King who tries to stay awake so that his house isn't looted.

Also, on the name "von Dietrich". The German "von" is an abbreviation of various titles; it does not imply nobility at all, as "Freiherr von" is a civilian title abbreviated similarly. What follows after the "von", however, is the place of birth or place of ancestry. Mind, place! Von Dietrich means someone had the bright idea to name a county or barony Dietrich. This becomes even more awkward if you hold the title, because it makes you "von und zu Dietrich" which may be confused as same sex marriage.

Son is used in German too to mark ancestry. So a proper name would be Wilhelm Dietrichson von Calemberg. Remember, Hohenzollern refers to the citadel of Zollern while Habsburg obviously refers to a burg (castle).

For example, Dietrich Drache von [his current title] is a noble name, or "Ulric Typhonus von Calemberg".

• Educated Educated x 1
    • Powerful Powerful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Aurelian30k

Aurelian30k The Fashion Knight

@Nano_Kay

IGN:Aurelian30k

Character Name: Birc al-Ali

Character Application:
    https://forums.massivecraft.com/threads/birc-al-ali.73482/

IC Letter to the House Patriarch
    Dear, the right honourable Wilhelm von Dietrich.

I would wish to pledge myself to the service of yourself and the esteemed and venerable House Von Dietrich. Whilst the life as a Guardsmen would be new to me, I am a Sellsword by trade with several years of experience following orders and in martial techniques. With this I will protect your House and Estates to the best of my ability. If you would have me.

Regards, Birc al-Ali

4. HeyitsNano

HeyitsNano The Messiah

Accepted. Please message me over discord Nano_Kay#9599

5. Testlo

Testlo Terry Seattle

IGN: Yuest

Character Name: Valtin von Dietrich

Character Application: skrt

IC Letter to the House Patriarch:
    Brother,
    It has come to my attention that we need capable men in our family guard. I will offer my assistance to you, and our family.
    Best Regards, Valtin von Dietrich
    @Nano_Kay

#5 Testlo, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  6. HeyitsNano

HeyitsNano The Messiah

Denied.

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. Goldifish

Goldifish texan (derogatory)

IGN: Goldifish

Character Name: Myriil

Character Application: i'll send you a link in pms uwu

IC Letter to the House Patriarch: Myriil can't write, much less speak fluent common. They'll be recruited ICly.

8. HeyitsNano

HeyitsNano The Messiah

Rejected upon being kathar.

9. Mollymock

Mollymock Regalian Citizen

IGN: M0llymaukTealeaf

Character Name: Jorben Windrunner

Character Application: Here

[The letter would be received on paper in pristine condition, delicately folded to fit the envelope it was delivered in. The hand writing seeming foreign, the calligraphy Dwarven in nature perhaps?]

To the right honourable Wilhelm von Dietrich,
    It is my biggest pleasure to be writing this letter to you. Your reputation is one that is heard on many ears, mine included, and I was simply in awe at the standards and morals that your House stands for. In my thirty or so years of service in my home town, defending it from the trials of the North, I have been able to hone my skills, both on and off horseback, and I hope you find my exploits worthy enough for you to take a chance on this 55 year-old man. I bare the spoils of my victories across my body, and wish to add more to my trophy display under your service.
    Kindest possible regards,
    Jorben Windrunner, son of Ovrer Windrunner.

10. HeyitsNano

HeyitsNano The Messiah

Accepted.