Archived World Regeneration

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.

Madus

Robot
Reaction score
All maps get griefed too much, and have to be replaced. Aloria (the first world) Binral (The second) Ceardia (The third) have all been replaced. Severeal nether maps have been replaced too. The worlds is awesome and we don't like to loose our buildings. Therefore we don't like when worlds get replaced. Daendroc is the oldest map ATM, so it might soon be deleted. Looking at the dynmap it is not as beauty as it was 2 years ago (It was around that time, it came here). Either Daendroc could get reuploaded, so we still have a jungle world (It was extremely awesome when it came out). Or we could try to regenerate unused areas.(talking)
If it should get regenerated, then i have some questions.
Can TerrainControl regenerate the same area, that will look the same?
Do we have an untouched copy of Daendroc that a regenration plugin can use, to regenerate some areas?
Enough of that, what should the conditions be, befoere something gets regenerated.
  • Chunks that doesn't get visited for X amount of days. Gets regenerated (All credit to the team member, (likely MonMarty) that said that on teamspeak ages ago) unless the area is claimed.
  • Staff regenerate small and big areas, that doesn't get used. Using something similar to //regen
  • All single blocks gets regenerated over time (Using a triple for loop) unless it is claimed.
  • Some blocks will automatic regenerate (trees or such)
Please post your ideas. We should keep our old worlds.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
4675064e74be608035200a63349b1fa6f78b7553b2846c980ce05f55eb4762eb.jpg

I honestly think that they should stay the way it is. Besides you can't change to much on the server or people will be confused.

Staff members already regenerate portions of the maps. I'm not certain that they can do this with Daendroc, but every world since can be regenerated.

Staff members already regenerate portions of the maps. I'm not certain that they can do this with Daendroc, but every world since can be regenerated.
Every world after Ellador can be regenerated. Daendroc and Ellador can not be regenerated.

I believe we can all agree that we want two things. We want each world to be beautiful. On the other hand we wish to keep the creations we made. In the older worlds these two can indeed conflict with each other. I myself cannot choose what I want more myself. A new Daendroc untouched. Or the old one with the beauty I have created in its deep jungles.

Whatever will happen, there is one thing I want above all. The return of each world, unless it cannot be brought back due to lore reasons. Even if it doesn't hold our creations of the past. They can be restored now. So there is no more need for removing. (unless the universe collapsed.)
So if Daendroc gets deleted one day, I do want to see it come back again.
Same for Ellador.

And for now... back to cleaning up that mess those newbies made ;3

I believe we can all agree that we want two things. We want each world to be beautiful. On the other hand we wish to keep the creations we made. In the older worlds these two can indeed conflict with each other. I myself cannot choose what I want more myself. A new Daendroc untouched. Or the old one with the beauty I have created in its deep jungles.

Whatever will happen, there is one thing I want above all. The return of each world, unless it cannot be brought back due to lore reasons. Even if it doesn't hold our creations of the past. They can be restored now. So there is no more need for removing. (unless the universe collapsed.)
So if Daendroc gets deleted one day, I do want to see it come back again.
Same for Ellador.

And for now... back to cleaning up that mess those newbies made ;3
I agree with you. But Daendroc and Ellador can not be restored. And therefore there is problary no back up. Yes Beauty of the worlds and great cities can conflict. But most cities does not get used, therefore those areas could be reset.

I agree with you. But Daendroc and Ellador can not be restored. And therefore there is problary no back up. Yes Beauty of the worlds and great cities can conflict. But most cities does not get used, therefore those areas could be reset.
With my last few sentances I ment that the tech exists for if they remake Daendroc, it can always be restored from that point forward.:P

Does the rift reset every so often? A tad off-topic, but I've been curious about it for a while.

Does the rift reset every so often? A tad off-topic, but I've been curious about it for a while.
MAybe being one of the most griefed worlds it could be. But my guess is no
Becuase the rift should have been replaced with a better world. I don't know actual reasons, maybe TerrainControl maybe lore.

I think that two things should happen:
  1. Dirt blocks should spread slowly until they are back to the same areas they were in when the world was released - except in claimed territory.
    • This would mimic the natural spread of debris and scrum that becomes dirt over time.
  2. Trees should drop saplings on their own and those saplings should plant themselves every hour, on the hour. Tall Grass and Flowers should spawn randomly in grassy patches every hour as well, unless they already exist within that chunk.
    • This would mimic the natural spread of vegetation over time. This would happen in faction territory, since keeping plants at bay is much harder than keeping dirt at bay.
I think something of this nature would allow for worlds to regenerate rather well on their own, and if it can be implemented even in Daendroc and Ellador it could very well restore the natural parts of each world. This said, non-dirt blocks shouldn't regenerate because a) that would drop loads of resources into the economy via renewing resources, and b) since when did coal regenerate? lol

Just a thought from Mechatron.

I think that two things should happen:
  1. Dirt blocks should spread slowly until they are back to the same areas they were in when the world was released - except in claimed territory.
    • This would mimic the natural spread of debris and scrum that becomes dirt over time.
  2. Trees should drop saplings on their own and those saplings should plant themselves every hour, on the hour. Tall Grass and Flowers should spawn randomly in grassy patches every hour as well, unless they already exist within that chunk.
    • This would mimic the natural spread of vegetation over time. This would happen in faction territory, since keeping plants at bay is much harder than keeping dirt at bay.
I think something of this nature would allow for worlds to regenerate rather well on their own, and if it can be implemented even in Daendroc and Ellador it could very well restore the natural parts of each world. This said, non-dirt blocks shouldn't regenerate because a) that would drop loads of resources into the economy via renewing resources, and b) since when did coal regenerate? lol

Just a thought from Mechatron.
It might not be possible for it to happen in daendroc and ellador. Becayse we have to know where, the dirt is supposed to be. But the other things can be there in DaenDroc and Ellador.
But in which occasions should it happen. If i removed a lot of dirt, and i build a house. (not claimed) Would the dirt then begin to fill my house?

It might not be possible for it to happen in daendroc and ellador. Becayse we have to know where, the dirt is supposed to be. But the other things can be there in DaenDroc and Ellador.
But in which occasions should it happen. If i removed a lot of dirt, and i build a house. (not claimed) Would the dirt then begin to fill my house?

You'd be living there so you'd be able to clear out any dirt that spawns there I think. Though we could do it where the dirt can't enter an area for a certain time after it's been cleared, which means that once it respawns there you just clear it again and it won't come back for a few months. Shouldn't be too hard to work with, think of it as housecleaning... :P

You'd be living there so you'd be able to clear out any dirt that spawns there I think. Though we could do it where the dirt can't enter an area for a certain time after it's been cleared, which means that once it respawns there you just clear it again and it won't come back for a few months. Shouldn't be too hard to work with, think of it as housecleaning... :P
Looking at this from a developer perspective. That would required hooking into events, storing data. That would maybe require a lot of CPU.

I also had an idea for areas that have buildings that have not been used for a long time they could decay and eventually turn into a ruin that players could explore as in vines would grow on the walls and blocks would change into cracked versions of the block if that block already had a cracked version. Another change could be torches and wooden doors would be worn out and wouldn't work so you would have to relight them with a flint and steal or use an axe to destroy the door.

The present plan is to automate the restore process, restoring all chunks that aren't claimed by a faction, don't have LWC locks in them, and aren't occupied by a player. The timing of the restore has not been set. I have thought of restoring chunks randomly, so people don't know what will be restored, while Cay's idea was that it might work better to take the world offline, restore it, and then bring it back online. Cay's idea produces fewer restore artifacts (1/2 trees that have only been restored in 1 chunk for instance). I will probably code both and we will see which one we implement. Comments? Other ideas?

The present plan is to automate the restore process, restoring all chunks that aren't claimed by a faction, don't have LWC locks in them, and aren't occupied by a player. The timing of the restore has not been set. I have thought of restoring chunks randomly, so people don't know what will be restored, while Cay's idea was that it might work better to take the world offline, restore it, and then bring it back online. Cay's idea produces fewer restore artifacts (1/2 trees that have only been restored in 1 chunk for instance). I will probably code both and we will see which one we implement. Comments? Other ideas?
If a faction has vastly griefed lands in their claim space, they should maybe get a small fine? Maybe? It is just a suggestion, don't hate.

Is it possible to not restore ores, or will it be a blanket restoration? I feel that some scarcity of resources in mines should happen, otherwise people can just memorize the layout of ores and get them again and again.

Is it possible to not restore ores, or will it be a blanket restoration? I feel that some scarcity of resources in mines should happen, otherwise people can just memorize the layout of ores and get them again and again.
I doubt that they would set the regeneration rate high enough for people to make any meaningful profit from the mined ores if they do use that method.

Most people won't remember that. But getting resources is still easy. Ores shouldn't be reset. (That will problary make no difference)
That sounds awesome.

I sort of like this idea. I mean heck, I got Regals for cleaning up some grief around the spawns.

@yendor46
This is slightly off-topic, but if/when the next world is deleted, can small structures be copied over to the next world (like back when Aloria got deleted)?

@yendor46
This is slightly off-topic, but if/when the next world is deleted, can small structures be copied over to the next world (like back when Aloria got deleted)?
No, I read something about that earlier. Staff won't problary because then they had to use much time on that. But didn't they also do that when Binral got removed?

I also had an idea for areas that have buildings that have not been used for a long time they could decay and eventually turn into a ruin that players could explore as in vines would grow on the walls and blocks would change into cracked versions of the block if that block already had a cracked version. Another change could be torches and wooden doors would be worn out and wouldn't work so you would have to relight them with a flint and steal or use an axe to destroy the door.

I'm 99% sure that's impossible to do without mods to the game. Mojang actually thought about having torches burn out a year or so ago, but they eventually threw the idea aside as it would've gotten annoying.

Anyone remember the Daendroc restoration effort?
Well I have an update for you all :)
2014-06-23_22.32.37.png 2014-06-23_22.32.45.png 2014-06-23_22.33.12.png 2014-06-23_22.33.49.png 2014-06-23_22.34.24.png 2014-06-23_22.34.53.png 2014-06-23_22.35.37.png 2014-06-23_22.36.56.png

I and several other players have been putting much effort resantly into patching up the broken scorched landscape just south of Daenshore. And see how our work has payed off. :)

It is simple things like this that keeps worlds alive. (be sure to leave those dam flowers or il hunt ya down personally :@)
But anyways... :P Feel free to come visit some time. Also make sure you come during the day.. the recent war has caused a large increase of undead spawn at night.

Okay, you guys confused the hell out of me with this "Binral" talk. Binral wasn't a world, MonMarty actually clarified it to be what we call the universe. Meaning Binral = Universe. Proof is here.

Binral was one of the original maps, along with Aloria. Once deleted, they made then names the universe and the world.

Okay, you guys confused the hell out of me with this "Binral" talk. Binral wasn't a world, MonMarty actually clarified it to be what we call the universe. Meaning Binral = Universe. Proof is here.
TerrariaUK already answered it. You can look at the websites old articles for more information.