Vrovona Palace Facelift

Discussion in 'Minecraft Builder Showcase' started by Enderdonut, May 7, 2017.

1. Enderdonut

Enderdonut SoulSunder

A couple months ago, I purchased a very nice looking castle/estate/fort looking building in north eastern Fendarfell. I liked it, but felt like there was a lot more work still needed to be done with it. After contacting the original builder @Landarbeiter, he gave me some advice and let me loose on this project. Well I've finally come around to getting the facelift done and its coming along great. Here I'll post updates and am looking for feedback on the building itself.

For this first post, I'll talk about the exterior of the building, how I changed it, the difference it made and what I learned from it.

BEFORE
    [​IMG]
    Here is the castle in its current form on Massive right now. It looks fine, but has a serious case of too much stone brick, little variety in colours and is quite boring. Also the chimney is really ugly and lacks any kind of character. Here is a close up of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately, all 4 sides suffer from these side effects. Now to show you what I did to help it.

AFTER
    [​IMG]
    The front got a huge facelift. Now every supporting block is replaced by polished diorite, which I think gives it more color and personality. There is less glowstone blocks as well, the glowstone seems a bit redundant and also seems to have covered up older windows for some reason. Some remained due to lack of previous blocks being there, but I think they are fine as is. The flags have also been updated to represent faction colors. Also the chimney is gone! The chimney was beyond ugly, so restoring that area back to its original shape was must. Here is a picture of the restored area.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, the polished diorite looks quite good on the castle, I'm pleased to see it fit in well. Of course there is more work to be done, but its a great start.
    [​IMG]
    The West Balcony also got a bit larger with different flowers. Looks nice to me.

• Winner Winner x 1
    #1 Enderdonut, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 11:55 AM
  2. Landarbeiter

Landarbeiter Count of Ebreichberg

Keep up the good work. Although the original design of the castle is not of my own imagination I am confident that I can say that it's looking much finer as opposed to the original.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Enderdonut

Enderdonut SoulSunder

This week I've been doing some concepts for the city that will be built around the castle. These are still being worked on and definately not final. These homes will be hopefully occupied this summer when I start mass recruiting. I've taken a bunch of ideas from Regalia and implementing them into my designs.
    2017-05-19_04.55.03.png This is a good picture to summarize what I've done as a concept. Basically I did stone on bottom, with smooth stone blocks as the pillars for the bottom, which transistions to spruce logs supporting the top with stained clay filling in the empty spaces. This style of building is actually quite common in Regalia and the city of Novigrad from the game, The Wither 3: Wild Hunt. Turns out this style looks great in the Massivecraft resourcepack.
    2017-05-19_04.55.05.png 2017-05-19_04.55.09.png
    While its just a start, I plan on putting these styled buildings next to each other, similar to how Regalia is setup, with streets connecting and plenty of decor to be found through out. I'm open to ideas and feedback on these, I want to get this right when I finally putting it into implementation phase.

Want to see the castle's facelift for yourself? Ally me ingame and you can come see it in all its gloriness!

• Like Like x 1
    #3 Enderdonut, May 19, 2017 at 12:05 PM
    Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 7:17 PM