Vent Thread For Everyone

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SpoopMelon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YouDontKnowJack

YouDontKnowJack Havin’ a Good Time

This^ yet says he’s Christian? The sheer hypocrisy of claiming just about any religion and doing that alone pisses me off so much ill get in line right behind Chalapas to beat his sorry ass.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #41 YouDontKnowJack, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
  2. Daekon

Daekon I'm chasing starlight to find its died away.

JUST WHat I was thinking. Genuinely don't care what religion he is I am pushing to the front of this line to thwack this punk to pluto and back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chalapas

Chalapas I think you look rather, scrumptious.

AGREEEEED

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gabauchi

Gabauchi Goblin Babe (Local Hotsexy)
    1. Anime Alliance!

tumblr_of6bwuAsLa1sv43lmo7_250.jpg oh honey,,

5. HoshiWomp

HoshiWomp The Wind-Reader

Bless, for hanging on, friendo~

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Genecide65

Genecide65 Scrooge McDuck

1. someone stole the bookshelves with all 568 translations of the bible from my garage
    2. i brushed past a girl today and it made me feel happy!1
    3. aespair sucks at cs:go

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Yigit

Yigit Smoke and trouble

Living has become a chore ever since my medicines and antidepressants took control of me
    It proved a task too impossible to quit my smoking addiction
    I filled my body with too much poison
    I've been betrayed, cheated on, played one too many times to embrace loneliness
    But it's painful being alone
    Yet I don't trust nobody
    Still feels bad I couldn't tell my dad goodbye
    I haven't held a hand or been embraced in over ten years
    All I'm doing is make a bad situation worse

No amount of painkiller can numb this

• Powerful Powerful x 4
    #47 Yigit, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
  8. Walnoodle

Walnoodle Angry Vesuvia Magician

As my second semester in my first year of college comes to close, I’m floundering in a pool of assignments, keeping my family proud of me, attempting to get to sleep at decent times and working two jobs. However, I know the home stretch is just in sight, but still just a bit far away. These past two weeks have been from literal Hell. And it all bubbles and flared up a few days ago when I broke down sobbing at nearly 1AM. I was upset, frustrated and felt like I wasn’t doing anything right. And to a point, I nearly believed myself. But I didn’t. I pushed through and kept going. Now here I am, end of my last full week and I’m exhausted and suffering from a cold. But, I’m alright.
    Things get better is what I’m trying to say here, lovelies. Maybe not right away, but it does. (Also don’t procrastinate, you’ll only hurt yourself and possibly your grade/quality of your work.)
    You’re all wonderful beings, keep it up. I’m cheering you on, even if we’ve never spoken, I’m cheering you on.
    With much love,
    Noodle<3

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  9. SpoopMelon

SpoopMelon Persephone

Hey pm me if you need to talk!

10. lizman1000

lizman1000 Darkest Dungeon Fanatic

Hi hello I am stressed

It’s the end of the year and one of my classes is bordering at a 70 and if I don’t pass I don’t graduate hhhNNGH

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Chalapas

my life legit in a few words

12. Heaven_of_ash

Heaven_of_ash Mouldy Mint

Separating this so it's easier to explain
    I'm in this predicament where my ex and I are very close and my friends are insisting upon me asking him out again, but I'm not sure if I want to. He is lovely and I adore him as a friend, but I found when we dated there was a wall there and I was stuck on the other side.
    I've always had a problem with opening up in person, rather than online and I felt awful when we were dating and he'd ask how I was and I'd say good. He's mentioned he always knew I wasn't entirely "good" but he didn't want to pry, which makes me feel worse.
    Him and I flirt back and forth in person but it's less of a 'I wan't to date you' and more of a 'I like to tease you in this manner because I find it entertaining' (That sounds awful) and it's not that I don't find him attractive or kind because I really do, but I just don't think it'd be best for us to date. I feel like a whore in this instance and I really don't know what to do, the only solution I can find is just cutting him off which I've tried to do before and I only ended up hurting him and the rest of my group.
    Don't shit in your own nest is what they tell me.
    Doesn't help.

My grandmother has been on the ropes for a while now and as we approach her and my grandfathers 60th wedding anniversary she's been deteriorating quickly from what I can tell (I only hear about this from brief and vague conversations with my mother). It's gotten so bad that my mother is flying up this coming weekend to spend time with her because we're not sure she'll make it through May. I'll have to spend that weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday) home alone and I live in a rather sketchy part on my city and last time this happened I couldn't sleep or eat because I was so stressed. If my grandmother dies then I'm positive my grandfather will go soon after her because he's only really staying alive to look after her and I really don't wan't to loose them. I'm really scared to loose them because I don't know how it will affect my mum who is already so stressed being a single mother sending me to a private school with a full time job and all.

I've lived without a family for a while, only having my mother who's never really home when I am. My father lives in Singapore and is only in Sydney (Where I live) once every two months to check his company is running well. My sister and her partner are here in Sydney too but she's never really felt like a sister to me because there is such a big age gap between us and I really want that relationship with her but she's never around either. I feel really lonely and despite taking antidepressants and anti anxiety medication I'm terrified I'm going to live like this for the rest of my life, I catch myself telling myself I'm going to die alone and I'll never really have a family because I'm just too incapable to be apart of one. I've got no proof that I wont end up like this so I've just given up really, I'm never at home anymore and I never message my parents unless I have to because my home environment is just toxic and feeds my depression and anxiety.

I'm not really feeling apart of my friendship group anymore. There's a bit of aggression between me and another girl in my group and me and my best friend don't get along as well as we used to, because of how small my friendship group is (There is 6 of us) this negativity is spreading to everyone really quickly and I can feel myself slipping out of the group. I'm not really friends with anyone else so I'm frightened that if I leave I'm going to be stuck floating around the campus for another three years before I can leave Australia. This makes me feel empty and full to the brim at the same time and I hate the feeling. This is one of my smaller problems because I'm used to this as I've never really had a friendship group before but I don't want to be used to it. I want to have a friendship group that I can do dumb shit with and make memories that I'll remember when I'm 87 with such an awful back that my nose grazes my damn feet but I don't know if I'll have that and it sucks.

Ok I'm done lol sorry

• Powerful Powerful x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. FunctionKey

FunctionKey The Senate

Honestly, I can't decide between the plastic £30 vent cover or the more expensive metal version - which is way more durable.

Get it???? Vent xd

14. Enkiduu

Enkiduu Looming

I wish I could've said "No" a lot of times.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Kibaa

Kibaa Bartolomeo da Cana|| Muhaŝŝiŝ

Some time ago I attempted suixide
    I haven’t told many people about this but now it’s out there

16. Heaven_of_ash

Heaven_of_ash Mouldy Mint

Hey so, I know I'm a complete stranger but I've been there before and as someone who really cares, please message me if you'd like to vent or rant about anything.
    We're all here to help and listen.
    <3

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Kibaa

Kibaa Bartolomeo da Cana|| Muhaŝŝiŝ

That’s alright. I never actually suffered from depression and I went to therapy for some time, regarding thoughts of suicide, after my hospitalization that is. I appreciate the kind thought, but I’m fine.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Chalapas

If you ever need someone, please don't hesitate to ask! <3

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SnashuuPomaymay

SnashuuPomaymay The Compelling Kathar | The Little Witch

reserved because I have a lot that I need to get off my chest some days.

20. Chalapas

S H O O T IM HERE FOR YOU <3

21. Monteverdi

Monteverdi no

To you who hurt me,

I want to start off by saying that what happened is now all in the past. I know you do not care about the pain you have caused me. I never plan to forgive you for it. I refuse to allow you to continue to hurt me, and belittle my emotions. They are valid. Every sleepless night, and tear shed over you was wasted. I hope from the very bottom of my heart, that you can take something from this, and maybe try to improve who you are as a person. You have completely ruined something I put a lot of time and care into making. I thank god I have amazing friends who actually notice when something is hurting me, and choose to take action over it. While I promise this won’t be my last sleepless night, it will be like last sleepless night knowing that you can no longer talk to me, and hurt me. I will in the meantime, try to grow the strength to move on from this situation, and forward to a happier life.

-Zoe
    3am June 20th 2k18

• Powerful Powerful x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  22. SpoopMelon

SpoopMelon Persephone

Ily mom

23. SpoopMelon

SpoopMelon Persephone

Also guys big issue,,,, @Vivamente is stinky

But in all seriousness, I'm much happier than I was two years ago, I still have some issues to work out to do with my ex, but I have a new lovely boyfriend who I talk to constantly and love lots and lots and lots even though he's mean by calling me short and smelly. You know who you are

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 3
    #63 SpoopMelon, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  24. Monteverdi

Monteverdi no

the only way i can relate to you anymore, is letting my own life fall apart all over again. but someone, even when it's hurting me inside, i'd rather do this with you than deal with the face that you've already f*cked me over more than once.

25. syenik

syenik Hannibal ante portas

“You’re very capable, but...”

That phrase tended to haunt me in a number of different ways, most prominently throughout my time at school. I wanted to add a post here, not necessarily because I am sentimental or ranting - if anything I find the outpouring of emotion to internet strangers a wasteful exercise - but because I felt like it for once. I have experienced something that a lot of people also go through and I thought I’d lend a hand on how you might want to approach it. So here is my account on the concept of capability.

First, context. I have never been wanting in my life. I was born to and raised by self-made, relaxed, cosmopolitan parents that offered me, in many cases, an unpralleded upbringing. I have only ever gone to private (independent) schools for example and had a great deal of things handed to me on a plate. Now, I have never been the best at anything, whether it be sport, academics, socially or in anything really, but I am far from the worst and this trend has been a constant throughout my life. My secondary school (high school) is considered one of the best in the country and made my impressively consistent average-ness appear poor in comparison to my peers. A situation I cared little about. I am incredibly lazy, infinitely lucky and have a knack for pulling the bare minimum out of the bag when and where it is needed. I knew that about myself, and still do, but I never really acted upon it. And thus came the phrase...

“You’re very capable, but...”

As much as the first part of that sentence can be deemed a compliment, the second half swings back around and ruins it. Cue Curb Your Enthusiasm theme. Whether it was my sporting capability, my ability in a certain classes, my grasp of just about anything was questioned by pretty much anyone who considered themselves a viable source of authority in my life. Teachers, parents, coaches, you name it. I wasn’t bothered the first few times. I laughed it off. However, seven years later, people were still saying it. How was it possible that I was still capable in these people’s eyes and yet after seven years I hadn’t improved? Was it just a case that I wasn’t capable? Were they just wrong?

“But”

So this was the confusing bit. My supposed capability was a common consesus. Congratulations me, I had prospect to improve. However, the “but...” was always different. “You’re capable but you don’t care enough”, “You’re capable but you need to work harder”, “You’re capable but you’re not doing this or that”. Insert very confused, yet equally as nonchalent image of 18 year old me.

The turning point

When you are 16, at British schools you take exams called GCSE’s and they basically serve as a qualifier that send you on your way into the next level of education. I missed the memo on that one. I tanked. Well... you see, I was made to believe I did. I got very good results in those exams, but in comparison to the rest of my yeargroup at my specific school, I did poorly. Third bottom worst in the year to be precise (thanks to a leaked Head of Year email for that statistic). Just to put that into perspective, of the two people below me in my year, one had died, the other had some serious issues. Yet, ladies and gentleman, as I scraped my way into the next level of school by a mere technicality, I was still “capable”.

Oh, yes, the teachers never let up. Fast forward two years I got some very decent results in my finals that got me into University. But again, in comparison they were average. Granted this so called turning point lasted three years, but stick with me.

We have all been called “capable” in our lives. We are led to believe that our capacity to reach the expectations other people lay out for us relies on us achieveing their prescribed solution in the “but...” section of the phrase. It was at the tender, albeit thouroughly good looking age of 18, I realised I had got it all wrong.

“I am capable.”

If you’re holding on for some motivational clichés, buckle up. It was when I went to University, when I moved away from my parents for three years and away from the constant critique of teachers that I learnt what I was capable of. Infact I learnt how to understand capability more generally. I have always settled for the bare minimum and don’t get me wrong, I didn’t change that at University, but I realised that what you are capable of is up to you. My teachers and parents wanted me to be “capable” at school, it turns out, however, I did not. I was as capable as I needed to be to get myself to where I wanted to be.

“If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein

Fast forward three years to the end of my time at University. I finished 0.8% off the highest grade possible in my degree. I set up and co-own a thriving business that brings in enough money to pay off my student debt. I got one of only two places at one of the biggest Aerospace companies in the UK. And I got all of that because I wanted it and because I was capable of achieving it.

Capability is a state of mind. Just because someone says you aren’t capable at something, doesn’t mean you have to be. Invest your time in your own goals and things will come together. For too long I puzzled over why I wasn’t succeeding, even when I tried applying people’s advice. The simple answer was that I conceptualised success based on other people’s understanding of it. Academic success for me was to get to the next stage, I didn’t need to go above and beyond to achieve that. When I went to University I wanted to set up a business, so I invested time and effort into it and succeeded. Pursue the goals you desire with the effort they require but don’t waste your time pursuing what other people deem best for you.

Whether you are 12 years old or 40, do what makes you happy. You literally live once, don’t think that the 2010 YOLO phase was some sort of pre-meme era joke, you really do only get one crack at this. So spend your time living the life you want to live. Dreams wouldn’t exist if we weren’t capable of achieving them. If you’d told 16 year old me I’d be where I am today, he’d crack a joke he found on Twitter and go back to playing Flappy Bird. You are capable of anything, but it is a state of mind. You have to believe it to achieve it.

So, if you can take anything from this, it is:
    1. Don’t let people dictate what you are or are not capable of. Only you know.
    2. “You are capable, but..” But you don’t need to be if you don’t want to be.
    3. Take advice with a pinch of salt. Listen but reflect on it, if it isn’t right for you, that’s not a bad thing.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    #65 syenik, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  26. Astraaeus

Astraaeus The Magician

Hi,

For a little background, I attend a public school and have a far from perfect life and homelife although I am privileged for having a roof under my head and clothes on my back. One of my fundamental personal values is the belief that all of us, no matter who we are and what we've achieved, are all morally equal in some way and good people in some form regardless of the way society perceives us. I don't like how society/people commonly place so much value on academic grades and weigh your entire intellectual value on such when it comes to academics. I also strongly don't believe that intellectual capability can ever be quantified. With the current iteration of the system in most Schools I've noticed that it perverts the idea of learning into a competition between yourself and others. School should be about learning and collaboration, and awards and achievements for high grades destroy these values.

Collective learning is great because you destroy the idea of competitiveness. However under a system of what we'd like to call 'meritocracy' I've noted large and widespread numerous examples of subjective grading I've witnessed through my life most prominently in English class. I don't believe that this is much of a meritocratic system. This often results in a lot of hidden potential going unnoticed, and my friends have become depressed and insecure about themselves when they are highly intelligent and capable.

We also shouldn't be forcing students in high school to learn arbitrary facts if they do not seek to. Honestly it baffles me why anyone would need to balance a chemical equation if they were interested in economics. Schools should become more specialized and offer course programs that tailor to one's field of interest once it piques them, while providing essential skills to the student. Students that do not want to invest in academia should not have these random ideas thrown down their throats. To inspire and create new generations of ambitious young scientists or historians or whatever academic fields and titles they hope to call themselves in the future is what we should really be focusing on, rather than forcing subjects down their throats and hoping they'll adopt them. Schools cater too much to making the parent impressed, giving the facade that their school is 'elite and the perfect education' for their child as they showcase a plethora of highly well regarded academic subjects.

Not every student wants to sit a classroom with microcosmic ivory tower mentalities and compete amongst eachother when they finally feel forced to do a certain subject or gain the slight glint of inspiration from a unique teacher while beginning to see the way the education system is flawed. In my case, I hated math when it was shoved down my throat until a teacher inspired me, and now I really love it and even do extracurricular enrichment on my own time. When I decided that medicine was the best fit for me in the future as I could help lots of people, I begun to realize flaws in the current pathway to that field after doing research and networking with lots of people. On the account of higher education though, many universities appear to be taking strides in the right direction.

With more and more medical schools particularly (schools which give out one of the highest degrees possible) switching to a pass/fail system such as the University of Toronto, I believe they've eliminated this elitist competitiveness and made it a thing of the past. I've networked with numerous medical students as my end path is to become a doctor and all have informed me that once you break past the point of getting accepted into medical school, the competitive and toxic element is for the most part dead and everyone helps each other. This kind of learning is honestly fantastic, and I believe admittance to University should be assessed on someone's learning skills rather than numerical values on tests where 9/9 or 8/9 is the biggest difference between an "A" and a "B" considering that would've been only one mistake. Even doctors work as teams, and learn new things every day by convening with each other and discussing their ideas. In my opinion, this is the framework school should also follow.

As humans we are bound to make mistakes and we're not calculators, and those dedicated can avoid mistakes on standardized tests pretty well yet, this is not the purpose of learning and should never be the purpose of academia in general because statistics show that standardized tests are often meaningless and students forget facts recited on tests only weeks after completion. Academia, in my opinion should be about collaboration, collective learning and working as a team. This type of mentality I think would not only produce better researchers but better people as a whole that lack an elitist mentality.

I want to see my classmates succeed more than anything, and remain happy at the same time. I really, really, really want to see everyone get enthusiastic about the subjects they want to enter or whatever they wish to do later on in life while helping them any way I can, I'm just that kind of person in my classes. Yet, when I help others, they become competitive with each other, instantly sharing their scores on tests and scorning others when they don't score as high. It's an overall mentality that haunts the walls of many schools around the world that needs to go.

There is a long way ahead to this point of change with the way that school systems stagnate and work in traditional schemes generally, but I believe it's a change that will benefit many and create a better future for academia. That said, I am one of the people who get straight A's in my classes yet I do not place any value whatsoever on these statistical achievements that reward being able to regurgitate facts learned through rote learning rather than experiential learning. Doctors often make the claim that you learn the most during your years as a resident in your specialty. I choose to be one of the students in the class that tries my best to help my classmates with whatever they need help with, and work as a team in cohort rather than competitively and independently despite being a highly independent person, I just find it more rewarding to help others than help myself. It would, in my opinion make sense why this is case, as meaningful learning trumps traditional rote learning in so many ways.

#66 Astraaeus, Jul 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  27. Chalapas

In short, my response:

High school isn't college.
    You want high school to be college. High school is a chance to the basics of everything to test the waters and see what fields you may or may not be interested in. For the longest time I wanted to be a vet- until my sophomore year this last year where I became heavily interested in biochemistry. However, even though both of my interests are heavily focused in science- does not mean that I am unwilling to take classes unrelated. I hope to become something in the field of science HOWEVER, I thoroughly enjoy english. Just because I aspire to become a chemist or biologist does not mean that I cannot and will not take something unrelated to my interests. I finished up my last year of foreign language and it was hell, however Spanish is a language that is widely spoken. I understand that while it may not be related to my fields of interest- it is an essential part of a learning experience that while I may not enjoy- it could seriously help me in the long run. High school is high school for a reason. College is college for a reason. High school is the appetizer to the array of entrees and courses college has to offer.

Don't go making high school college because you don't feel like taking math. There's things you have to do in life that you don't want to. Life sucks. Even for a fellow straight A student- it can really suck.

#67 Chalapas, Jul 28, 2018
  28. Astraaeus

Astraaeus The Magician

Yet high school demands that you score well on subjects you don't like if you want a chance to pursue what you do like in most Universities? You're right it really does suck, however this only prepares you for a very small component of life in that you have to do things you don't want to. But if you take a look at some of the schools in Finland who do significantly better in global scores you'll notice a much different environment. I'm by no means saying I want high schools to become college, rather much more oriented towards collective learning strategies. Undergraduates are highly competitive programs as well, and especially Pre-Medical Programs are. Higher education above the standard undergraduate degree is what I cite as a success here. I don't think you read my post pretty thoroughly.
    If I find that I really hate math then why should I be forced to continue to take it and then expected to do well in order to open the gates towards something completely irrelevant in higher education such as music? All I'm saying is the policies and schools should become more specialized, consider partitioning grades 9 and 10 to be 'testing' phases and using grades 11 and 12 to be more 'specialized'. It is absolute hell for me to sit through a history class that I do not want to be in and force myself to rote learn from that subject and do assignments that I dislike. I'm sure lots of students could tolerate this for two years, but when compulsory subjects are expected for extended periods of a high school career it can seriously be damaging to their overall motivation.
    I can't tell if this was a rhetorical statement or directed aimed at my own ethos, but mathematics is one of the subjects I have a strong passion for personally and do not entirely feel bored out of my mind or upset when I sit in said classes, the same can't be said for English classes which are inherently flawed at their structure and can be brought to light in a whole new dialectic showcasing my resentment for the English courses at my school particularly.

Also to comment on your language class of "Spanish", I find it absolutely moronic that languages are being taught as if you're expected to speak them in a school environment. Would you say that your class has made you fluent? Though? Studies and experiences have shown to many people that learning and becoming fluent in languages in a classroom is often impossible especially when 80% of students do not even want to be there. To learn a language, people have told me it is best to do it on your own will. And this coincides with why specialization in high schools are a better approach, because you are not often required to rote learn when you have a passion.

Compulsory subjects can be considered the problem, especially in the later grades because there should be nothing barring you from taking English even if your field of focus is science.

What if you were surrounded by people who actually wanted to learn and indulge in the culture and language with a genuine intent to actually learn? Would you have slightly more success? Absolutely. I also find that people take these as average-boosting classes when they know the language fluently already to get better grades. This just stands as proof that this system is about grades and not learning and that is the structural flaw.

I don't really need to do a lot of math problems or study a lot because I genuinely LOVE learning about new mathematics and problems to solve, to me it's one of my passions so I do not need to force it into my brain, the same can be said for learning languages I'd assume. There needs to be more mental health advocacy for these terrible effects that expectations to live up to "A+" standards cause, and unfortunately the whole competitiveness culture in schools is causing depression and insecurity amongst myself, and my friends.

For 80% of students, high school = a rote learning competition.

The TL/DR: when you have a desire to learn and it's genuine, even if you will it in your head, you should be able to take hold of your circumstances and in the current system that is next to impossible for every subject.

#68 Astraaeus, Jul 28, 2018
  29. Astraaeus

Astraaeus The Magician

https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1055665.pdf
    @Chalapas

it-enters-a-new-learning-environment-14-728.jpg
    cool-cartoon-3936485.png
    main-qimg-75e0cc8eb48d8936f3da763010088f3b-c.jpeg
    meaningful-learning-5-638.jpg
    YEZDEEGpjcsOvmL-1600x900-noPad.jpg

To cite my own experience between the divide with rote and meaningful learning, I've applied meaningful learning to the subject I've really loved and in the past fews months didn't bother studying for my final in that subject because of the meaningfulness of the classes I attended to and received top scores.​

#69 Astraaeus, Jul 28, 2018
  30. YouDontKnowJack

YouDontKnowJack Havin’ a Good Time

Oof, here i go. This is gonna be a disorganized mess.

Right now i’m out somewhere that a couple weeks ago i wouldve been thrilled to just think about going. (Dont want to say what the event actually is because it would make it easy to figure out where i live). But no joy comes from it. Nothing truly makes me happy anymore. Ive struggled with this for years as my emotional state slowly declined and it became harder and harder to find things that made me happy until i only had one thing that truly gave me life and energy and made me want to go on in the world. Yeah, having only one thing to look foward to in life, only one reason to live is unhealthy by any standards. But what am i supposd to do? Recently i slowly began to feel that vitality and that light inside cone back before that one thing was gone and with it, all the hope i had. And now im here with this void in my life that i cant fill with anything else, mot friends, not music, not drugs/etc, nothing. No amount of “fun” impacts me because inside ive become hollow. Ive no anchor to the world that keeps me from floating off and now i just feel lost. I dont understand any of it, why it happened, why i have some of the feelings i do, and im left with more questions than i know what to do with, that no one can (or will) answer. I genuinely dont know what to do beyond just keep fighting this internal battle because i cant deal with the guilt id feel if i didnt. Some people will undoubtedly give me shit for coming to a fvckin minecraft forum for this and part of me agrees, but i have nowhere else to go. So if anyone out there knows what to do or has some hope for me id love to hear it. That’s all..
    Jack

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 2
  31. Chalapas

High school is a broad spectrum. As you enter college that spectrum gets narrowed down into the subjects you would like to participate and learn from. There are core classes in both highschool and college that you must take- english, math, science, history, etc etc. However most schools have electives that you can take, such as Biology II, Chem II, Physics II, Food and Nutrition, etc etc, to see if you would like to continue studying in that field. As well as electives comes the system with high level classes- some schools have 'gifted' or 'honors'- I personally have taken all honors classes for both 8th and 9th grade until 10th grade when I dropped a few and didn't take AP either. It was a relief in the easier classes that I wasn't interested in such as Western Civilizations because I don't have an interest in history but I understand that there are essential things every 'disliked' subjects teaches us that we must know.

32. Astraaeus

Astraaeus The Magician

@Chalapas and what if I like my electives but hate my Core Classes or both? The issue is that it forces rote learning. And causes a mentality of competitiveness of who can rote learn the best to follow the environment and shed on others. This creates a few mental health issues, especially for those who do try to excel but cannot simply because they resent the subject. In my opinion, the remedy is to improve mental health by creating more special tailored schools because teenagers are volatile, and the suicide rate is already alarming.

You're also slightly straw-manning me a bit but I'm happy to oblige, since my initial argument was about the toxic and competitive nature of grades and the potential solutions following it. Such as collective learning and group work that is noncompetitive.

33. Chalapas

This sounds like a case of depression. Make sure you talk to someone- I'll say it now- I've seen many therapists since the 8th grade and as stubborn as I am, talking helps. Although I don't have depression, a family member of mine does and it can be a complete mess. Talk to someone you trust before it's too late.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #73 Chalapas, Jul 28, 2018
  34. Chalapas

I often take things out of context and that actually be the case here where I pick out one little sentence and blow it up into a essay as my response. I also tend to go off on tangents/off course because of my attention disorder, AHDH inattentive type; I'll get so wrapped up that I often may miss the whole main point entirely. Apologies! I don't mean to sound rude at all, very sorry if my text comes off that way.

However, these "special tailor schools" are quite legitimately college. When you enter college, you begin to pick out classes that suit your best interest next to your core subjects and it is no longer just these core subjects as high school is. There are high schools already dedicated towards certain subjects, the fine arts, sciences, etc etc however each of these schools still must teach to students the things they may not have an interest for but still must be educated in. Although at a fine arts school they may attend arts, music and dance classes throughout their entire day, they'll still take math because it's a required part of life.

35. Chalapas

As for 'competitiveness' in schools, if they were to lose that aspect what would keep the hard workers from the slackers? I work hard to maintain my grades but what would someone who works less have to do to be at the same ranking as me? Not much, since there would be no motivation for someone to do better. I accept that I am no valedictorian but what would stop me from being at the same level as them? @Astraaeus

36. Astraaeus

Astraaeus The Magician

Not always will be abstract proofs and algebra, calculus and geometry be required parts of life to someone who studies music. Honestly I have no problem with tailored schools personally because they are not college. These schools would get kids their diploma, not scratch the concept of compulsories for the first two years and allow freedom for the next two in my opinion to provide direction. College is differentiated because college is ran by research professors in MUCH larger classes where it is no where near as personal as high school. I just think the enemy is rote learning and forcing kids to do things past the age of 16 when they have the sufficient capacity to make choices for themselves based off what they'll excel, be good at and generally like.

Which is why compulsories can be the enemy often because they are designed with the idea that kids don't know what they are thinking and need direction, I think direction was essential for me in grade 9 and 10 when I was inspired and grew to love math, but beyond this, it's simply hell to continue with redundant subjects. I'd like to comment on English class however here, one big problem I have with that is the fact Literature and English is not differentiated within my school. English teaches extreeeemly useful skills to anyone in my opinion, ones that you can /actually/ apply as I do right here in structuring my arguments, it teaches students to understand the modes of appeals and whatnot.

However arbitrary literature and reading redundant classical novels should be saved for students who exclusively like Literature and English should be saved for students who have a desire to learn about persuasion, good writing and good appeals in general. In short, Literary Analysis =/= Rhetoric. And it baffles me why they are taught so proximal to each other because the classical books read in high school are, so, dry in my opinion. To the point where I use sparknotes always. While literary analysis is subjective and needs good rhetorical skills, I think that English on it's own apart from the literary analysis components from reading large novellas (perhaps short stories would substitute better for analysis on it's own), should be separate. And this is why Literature would make an excellent elective, because English on it's own to teach rhetorical skills would be a mandated compulsory that I would support, simply because it teaches life skills and persuasion techniques that you can use in almost every environment, even on MassiveCraft!

• Agree Agree x 1
  37. Astraaeus

Astraaeus The Magician

The proactive elimination of rote learning. And the fact that intelligence is never quantifiable. There needs to be no class rankings but rather an assessment of class character and letters of recommendation from teachers/individuals to vouch for one's goals. Relying on non-standard criterions which push the student to become more actively involved and academically passionate and enthusiastic.

#77 Astraaeus, Jul 28, 2018
  38. Chalapas

To keep this from getting anymore heated, I'll say that I most likely just skimmed over your first post and replied with a lackluster argument. I love getting to know the other side of the story and getting to understand it because it helps me grow in my own ways of thinking. I understand where you're coming from and I just can't seem to put my point of view into words at the moment so I'll leave it at this. Not the cliche 'agree to disagree' but leave with the understanding that our opinions may differ but I do agree with some points you made. Well done. 12/10.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Daekon

Daekon I'm chasing starlight to find its died away.

I'm not American, so I can't tell you my thoughts on that, just my overall utter confusion at this. Where I live, we have (depending on the schools) two to three years before we specialise at around age 13/14 for our GCSE examinations. While we're still required to take all core subjects (double science, maths, English language, English literature) the rest of the subjects are fair game (though this is often rather dependant on which school you go to). Mainly, I believe you take one language, and one humanity, and then you have two spare slots. In total, you cut down your subjects by more than half, and you have now specialised in the couple of subjects you want to take, and potentially a few that you don't really want to take, but not too many. At this point your learning becomes specialised to these subjects you have split into. You do your GCSE in year 11 (age 15-16). Then, you attend sixth form (also known as college, though it is not the same as your college, which I believe means university?) where you specialise again into your certain few subjects, and then university where you take the course you need. I'm not going to get into the rote learning because I don't really have enough information upon it.

40. SpoopMelon

SpoopMelon Persephone

Jack ma boi, that is depression right there, like,, really bad depression. Pm on discord if you need someone to talk to who understands and has gotten through a similar situation.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.