Pending Review Various Suggestions To Improve The Served Discord

Discussion in 'Server' started by 4tv, Jul 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. 4tv

4tv She's back

This will end up just being a big bullet point list anyways so I don't see any reason to attempt to format it otherwise. I'll explain most of these choices as I write them.
    1. Remove #image-spam and allow images in general chat for anyone who is New role or above. If having #image-spam is a spam prevention method, it's not a very good one as spamming is still allowed in that channel and doesn't actually do much to stop people from joining the server and dumping some images in there. It splits up the continuity of general chat and makes it very hard to post images that people will actually see.
    2. External emojis should be set back to Active and above. Again, if this is to prevent use of bad emojis then this is totally overkill. it is already a non-trivial task to get the active role, any troll that is actually dedicated enough to go ahead and do so can be easily dealt with on a case-by-case basis by staff.
    3. Nickname/online roles should be combined, as online functions as the general 'user' role, while 'nickname' is given globally anyways. If removing nickname perms on problem users is a concern, you could create a counter-nickname role to revoke nickname perms on a case-by-case basis rather than giving everyone a role that just clutters the list
    4. Add back a very basic #general-rp and #general-factions. I am aware they have their own discords but this server should be the central server for the community and discussion of all the different sides of the server should have a home here, even if it's in greater availability elsewhere. I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT FACTIONS/RP ANNOUNCEMENTS SHOULD BE IN THE MAIN DISCORD those have their own discord and it's better to have them elsewhere.
    5. Add back #art so that people can post their non-massive related art again. I understand there is an #art in the rp discord but I would imagine that it is generally massive focused and even if it isn't, people should be able to get commentary and support from people in the main server. This has been a rolling suggestion since the deletion of the channel as far as I can tell, I have even personally received messages from people asking why it was removed after I was banned from the server.
    6. Move staff to the top again. As much as it's nice to not feel overwhelmed by bluenames all the time in the sidebar, it makes it very inconvenient to tag people due to the preceding staff symbol in their nicknames and scrolling to find them is a nightmare. This was fine when there was 100 people in it but now that there's nearly 1000 it seems outdated.
    7. Move bots below staff but above users. Same reason as #6. They have their command key in their nicknames but you have to scroll to the bottom to even see it.

If I have more I'll edit this post and mark it as edited. Please feel free to get angry at me in the comments below. If you're discord tech and reading this, I'm happy to discuss these ideas at length in pm or VC if you want more information.

Edit 1:
    1. Allow @staff to be tagged
    2. Add some sort of ticketing system. Fairly sure Dyno can do this but if not, there are other options.
    Edit 2:
    1. Remove the everyone tag from the forums rss feed. Nobody cares. If it requires urgency use the everyone tag, otherwise, everyone mutes the server and ignores it when you actually need to make an urgent announcement (Trust me, I learned my lesson with this from the Adrenn discord)
    2. Re-hoist colorful roles. Who cares about chat colors. By hoisting the roles it actually provides an incentive to continue chatting.
    3. Introduce bots for games and/or other services. While I personally do not fully stand behind this, I understand a greater community need to have any reason to visit a discord. There are definitely bots available that provide a non-intrusive set of games that can provide a reason for people to stick around (and perhaps get hooked into a chat!)

#1 4tv, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  2. ZiHAMMER

ZiHAMMER Violettee is a transgender

No one uses discord.

• Powerful Powerful x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. MyCatBubbles

MyCatBubbles Massivecrafts Schizo

4. SirePyro

SirePyro The Definition of Insanity

can confirm

5. 4tv

4tv She's back

That's exactly the issue I'm trying to fix. MassiveSquad was popular and active, but now two years later under new management massivediscord is totally underutilized.

6. 4tv

4tv She's back

7. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

I think you're making a couple of discord management assumptions that are based on anecdotal evidence that aren't entirely true. For example, the lack of external emojis does not make the RP Com not an active place, every user has the same chat color and this does not diminish engagement, staff are at the top of the list and it does not result in a considerably different experience, the lack of ability to post images in the general chat does not negatively impact engagement, and the rss feed is practically listened to by everyone, because there is a huge engagement with each @everyone that gets posted in there, sometimes even before the announcement goes live. The only real difference there is the ticket bot, but that doesn't directly lead to engagement.

The reason why the main discord is bad is not because of a lack of minigames and engagement options, it's because some people make it an un-fun place to be. There's a particular small group of people who just make it a very nasty community discord to be in, and more often than not, players simply seek a more pleasant environment elsewhere. Could we ban them and make the discord pleasant? Probably, but Massive has had a fairly strong stint with observing sensible rules, and part of sensible rules is not banning people for having an ugly personality. Making a discord feel like a hostile and abrasive place is not inherently a ban-able offence, since the measure pole is just raised lower when the rule bar is raised higher, some people just thrive off making a community feel unpleasant to others while not breaking the rules in the literal sense.

Long story short. Massive Discord is, to my knowledge from the people I have spoken with, an unpleasant place because of people with ugly personalities. The RP Com Discord is a super positive place and a cool place to hang out, and there's voice chats every day and tons of community engagement in all the channels. At the end of the day Massive main Disc acts more like a door stopper to have meetings and do community wide emergency announcements, but aside from that I don't see it as a viable place to bring community engagement. As long as the Factions and RP Com discords exist, and as long as there are nasty people in the regular Discord, that discord will remain as dead as the grave save for the occasional jab, passive aggression, and vexxing behavior in #general-chat. This is why I don't like hanging out there.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. 65jes89

65jes89 Leader of SunKiss

Would be nice to get a general chat back in the factions discord though. It’s free of most of the people I believe you’re referring to, and while could get toxic at times, was nice to have. Think the original intention by removing it was to make the main discord more popular, and seeing as it has failed, it would be nice to see a return of general chat in the factions discord. Off-topic conversations already occur until some staff member or another comes along to stop it, and it would be nice to have a place to do this without breaking rules and clogging the idea discussion channels.

9. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

Ye could do. I'm not sure who runs that discord, but I'm sure someone could screencap my message and ask someone in game to get the right person.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Winterless

Winterless The MVP of Romance RP

Pretty much this tbh,

I enjoy interacting in the RP discord because I am 100x less likely, it seems, to be passive aggressively argued with and more likely to have an actual conversation with people. I think the Roleplay Discord succeeds because the Roleplay community are a (generally) positive group of people, which in turn makes the roleplay discord much more fun to be in. Ultimately it's a community issue, and not much to do with the discord itself.

Agreed. I don't think the whole "let's make the factions discord purely for generating ideas" has worked out too well. I think the bad mojo in the general massive discord is just too much for people to switch to it over factions.

yea why not

I think image spam is fine, don't see why it needs to be in general chat

yea