Vampirism Revamped (again)

Discussion in 'Roleplay Discussion' started by MonMarty, Jan 28, 2018.

1. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

[​IMG]

So this is getting a bit old with how many times Vampirism has been reworked, but since Vampirism is seriously losing popularity (and because the abilities were becoming increasingly more difficult to understand) Vampirism has been remade and simplified yet hopefully made more fun to play around with. Some serious changes:
    • Ombratore, Zehler, Tresmisae, Umredd have all been merged back into one single "Vampirism". That means there is no longer such a thing as Bloodlines.
    • All aspects that made Vampire-identity hide-able have been scrubbed from lore. This is largely because we acknowledge that every other form of blood curse (Dragon, Silven, Phantasma) cannot be hidden either. On the flipside, some Vampire abilities were buffed to compensate.
    • The Mental aspects have been nuanced. No more does Vampirism force a cookie cutter antisocial personality. It allows nice and evil vampires, with full freedom of the player's choices on how to nuance their attitude to others.
    • The Infection system and Infection Process and Curing Process remain exactly the same.
    • Vampirism feeding has been explained more, while we also included a taste palette table. This sets out a number of different races and conditions which contribute to special effects from drinking from their kind. It also makes targeting specific races easier or more fun, as it creates actual differences in flavor between races.
    • Traits have been modified.
      • Vampires are now capable of casting Magic (though Silven cannot become Vampires).
      • Vampires now have increased healing including super charged healing when consuming blood.
      • Vampires cannot be healed by Celestial Spells anymore.
      • Vampire eye colors have been made strictly crimson red and slightly glowing to ensure hiding one's Vampire identity becomes extremely difficult without the use of Shimmering Mask or tinted glasses.
      • Sun weakness is increased to be more aggressive.
      • Vampires can now be up to Athletic or Ripped but never Strongman or Muscular.
    • Abilities have been modified.
      • Dread Wielding remains the same, but is forced to stay with swords still, which has been more strongly clarified.
      • Blood Dancing has been reworked to be an escape-only ability that can be used to bounce out of a combat-rp Scenario instantly and effectively once a day (so it can no longer be used in combat to constantly dodge).
      • Dark Walking has been scrapped from Lore.
      • Sensation Touch has been turned more into a passive and enduring hypnosis instead of a difficult to grasp Hex Magic Spell. This should allow for easier drinking and socialization for Vampires.
      • Shimmering Mask which was unique to Ombratore has been given to Vampirism as a whole to allow Vampires to (temporarily), once a day, hide their identity and mingle with non Vampires to scout out potential victims. It is however not as perfect as Hex Magic, not changing their voice, not working on mirrors, and being easy to break in combat.
    • The Trivia has remained roughly the same.
    Player Effects
    • Character Apps containing Ombratore Characters likely need to change their Eye color.
    • Other Vampires can consider changing their personality, but it is not mandatory.
    • A lot of old lore exists on the wiki still. Lore staff will begin scrubbing and converting old lore in the coming days.

Hopefully, this should make Vampires more fun to play. Not only is their escape mechanic more reliable and easier to use (even if it can only be used once a day), Vampires should remain the top of one on one combat because of Dread Wielding. Furthermore, we hope that the inclusion of the blood flavor table allows for more fun feeding target choosing, and that the elimination of the confusion and complexity around mental characteristics should make Vampires feel less powergamey and more up to personal creative freedom of the player instead of fitting a cookie cutter evil Vampire.

• Winner Winner x 14
    • Like Like x 3
    #1 MonMarty, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  2. SignoreScafuto

SignoreScafuto MassiveCraft's token ethnic

This update killed pretty much all Ombratore roleplayers, seeing as the main reason they chose to be Ombratore rather than say Tresimae was due to the hidden vampire factor. The point of Ombratore were not to be super overpowered stealth vampires but to be more well integrated with Regalian society in the sense that no one could tell they were a vampire unless the Ombratore player chose to out themselves. I’m not suggesting bringing them back but at least allow something to fill such a niche.

EDIT: Sorry if this sounds whiny or poorly written, wrote this at midnight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MonMarty

Ombratore were a shitfest of people who refused to accept consequences for powers. Powers never come free in our lore. Please read the lore to understand that it did not kill the Ombratore playstyle. Vampires have been given a bridging capacity to be a bit of all what the previous bloodlines used to be.

"Uwu I'm a vampire but you're never gonna find out unless I let you!!!1!!!" is not a constructive or good roleplay narrative.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. HodlinG

HodlinG owie Supremium

If I may, I think there's a bit of a contradiction. In the mental effects section it first says that vampirism does not alter the personality of the vampire but then it goes on to say that extended exposure to vampirism either makes the person a little dummy who wants nothing but blood or just cold, depending on if they have a strong mind or not. And that seems like a huge personality change to me, especially for the latter.

@MonMarty

5. MonMarty

Small term issue. I corrected it, "long time" was supposed to say decades.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. NoRezForYou

NoRezForYou Professional Hand Holder

Other races would like some love as well when it comes to vampirism and such.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Markisbeest

Markisbeest Stealing hearts like they're wallets. At gunpoint.

What is the effect upon the lawgiving with these changes. It used to be only Umredd vampires were legal within the Vampire district and other areas with a legal pass, with the other bloodlines still being illegal, does this right now extend to the entirety of vampires?

8. _Grimmy_

_Grimmy_ Magic? More Like Mag-ick, am I right, purists.

No bird races so url tendies will do.

• Educated Educated x 2
  9. Lizmun

Lizmun yeah Staff Member Lore2

Rest In Peace ferals :(

10. _Grimmy_

_Grimmy_ Magic? More Like Mag-ick, am I right, purists.

I mean.. Now they're thicc feral bois.

PS shimmering mask should be at least two hours so it's usable in rp since an hour of talking accomplishes nothing

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Generous Generous x 1
  11. Korgex12

Korgex12 Coming Soon

I'd like to point out the taste for Other Vampires, Phantasma(Witchblood), Anything Dragon related. It notes "If somehow it is magically held down." I get it's a joke, but since magic does exist in Aloria, it doesn't really fit to be on a lore page.

12. MonMarty

They are still sort of a thing. The mental thing makes note of how someone can be reduced to a foaming barely audible vampire. We're still working on Vampire pregnancy which should also produce something similar.

In hindsight, I agree. I will edit it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. enderdragon

enderdragon Consistently Inconsistent

This sounds great! While it is a little tiresome to keep up with the Vampire constant updates, and adapting characters in accordance to them, this particular update makes things easier to understand. I also like how hiding Vampirism is much more difficult! :)

14. enderdragon

I think feral vampires are still quite possible!

"Those with a weak mental will eventually succumb to blood lust and become devolved blood crazed beasts, losing their speech and social skills and craving nothing more than the next feeding. Those with a strong mental will become cold, arrogant and self aggrandizing with little regard for others, even family."

There is still hope for crazy vampires :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MonMarty

It should be understood, the title of the thread is a meme and a jab at people who have no concept of the passage of time:

[​IMG]

This was the last time Vampires was "revamped" or redone or whatever you want to call it, that's legit 393 days of the lore not being altered at all. I think most people have no problem adapting to a minor change of this scale when that amount of time has passed over.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. enderdragon

I did not mean to imply that these revisions were not necessary, but only that they, like magic, have gone under multiple revisions making it somewhat more difficult to play these characters long term since players would have to continually update and remove large sections of their character. I 100% agree with these recent changes, and only said what I said because vampires have gone under many revisions when compared to other prevalent lore.

17. BulbousDevourer

BulbousDevourer Refugee

I notice there was mention of blood allowing vampires to "super-heal" in the OP, but I see no mention of this on the Wiki page. I'm assuming it was just accidentally left out?

18. CainsTedTalk

CainsTedTalk Desert Creatures go brrr

One suggestion I would like to make is the return of vampires being able to smell blood from an open wound and hear heartbeats. I've always enjoyed that little tidbit for cool hunter/tracker roleplay and it makes vampires an even bigger threat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Caduceus_Clayy

Caduceus_Clayy "Something will be here"

What about the Valraven? Have they experienced any changes due to them basically also being a vampire, only in perfect form?

20. MonMarty

Valraven are not implementably playable, which is why it is not pertinent to roleplay to keep that lore up to date. It's just background.

21. Beetletoes

Beetletoes Regalian Prince

Not sure if you're taking suggestions on this, but personally I think vampire kiddos should be freaky and ghoul-like.[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Caduceus_Clayy

Caduceus_Clayy "Something will be here"

I agree but there should be a chance for other such abominations to be spawned as well. Perhaps a rolling of a dice could decide what kind of abomination they are, or if they are born as some sort of, more powerful vampire.

23. MonMarty

How about... no. You might as well implement a free better vampire breed that literally everyone will jump on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Jack_Castle

Jack_Castle Rage, RAGE Against the Dying of the Light. Supremium

Why has Dark Walking been removed; what is the Staffs reason for removing it, it had always seemed to be the most appealing and versatile ability of the Vampire bloodlines. It gave them a feeling of stealthy almost wraith like. Personally it was my favorate ability for the Umredd Bloodline, on the topic, Dreadblades seem... lame, it can't be used on daggers making it poor for use in subtle useage and can't be used on larger two handed swords unless one pushes the limit on the size of their longsword to just below military grade, which seems a bit complex for what is meant to be a weapon buff. Why are Dreadblades limited to just longswords and arming swords? I imagion it was a necessary alteration due to seeing Dreadblade in action and how powerful it was in the hands of either more clever RPers or poorly used by newer players. Either way I am curious as to the process of its current state.

25. EndersGameboy

EndersGameboy The Last of the Bloodline

Personally, I am kind fo upset about the removal of Ombratores. I really enjoyed the blood dancing ability. Also, on this thread you stated that you made up for the removal of different bloodlines by buffing the abilities of the new general Vampires. However, I think you nerfed them, a lot.

26. CainsTedTalk

CainsTedTalk Desert Creatures go brrr

My favorite abilites of vampires in general were the Umredd Claws and the ability to smell blood or an open wound.

Umredd claws were amazing, hands down I used them more than the Dreadwield simply because it was a different option. I didn't have to stab my victim constantly and risk killing my food source when I could scratch them a few times and finish it. It was a much better option, and non lethal. Smelling blood was also amazing, watching newly infected Vampires go crazy when they're around a bleeding person and tracking an injured combatant through the slash on there arm. Good times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Suzzie

Suzzie elf appreciator

Well look here, you have a blade that can totally paralyze you if it stabs you. A dagger is way too small to give anybody a chance- you can’t see it, and someone can come and poke you where BAM , paralyzed. A short sword and longsword can be seen and recognized by the other party, and therefore, they get a fair shot. Kinda overpowered otherwise.

As for dark walking, it really isn’t essential and considering all three bloodlines converged into one, there had to be things on the cutting floor. There’s also the fact that their eyes now glow, so it can be assumed that stealth isn’t their main niche (though they do have an ability that covers that, shimmering mask). In fact, they have a ton of abilities now and are really powerful- any more and they’d be too powerful, honestly.

28. Jack_Castle

Jack_Castle Rage, RAGE Against the Dying of the Light. Supremium

Well I would say first of all, that Dread-blades only paralyze the part of the body they stab, and that a sword is a poor stabbing weapon against people in armor, facing armored foes being considerably harder as they tend to be more experienced in not only the Lore but also in the Combat RP, enough so that they recognize the effectiveness of being covered in steel. So they are already limited to more unarmored, more then likely less combat effective characters at which point you didn't need it to begin with. And if a feature that exists to make a bloodline more effective against other fighters is ineffective in doing so, then whats the point of it? Even against say mages their Magos Bolt was far more effective because it could be used at a relatively safe distance.

My point on Dark Walking was that it was the only cool thing Vampires got to do, and while they may have become redundant it will still be missed.

• Agree Agree x 1