Vampirism Lore Experiments

Discussion in 'Roleplay Discussion' started by MonMarty, Jul 7, 2020.

1. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

Vampirism has always been a major flagship of our fantasy aspects of the server, though over the last year or so, Vampire numbers have dipped, and a lot of the Vampire bloodlines don't really feel niche-wise strong anymore. Their abilities are still neat and uniform for their theme, but there isn't much thematic background to many of the Bloodlines. Further problems were established:
    • Group mutations were rarely if ever used since the low Vampire population.
    • Vampire pop is considerably lower than it normally is (lower than we want it to be).
    • Some Vampire bloodline niches were still missing.
    • Vampirism as a whole, the Page, became too large. Too many tables.
    As such, we have decided on a formative expansion to do the following to all Bloodlines:
    • Move the Group Mutations into 2 Free Common Mutations.
    • Up the Mutation choice eventually. The 4 to 5 only works for the Cratos Bloodline.
    • Created a new Tech-priest inspired Cratos Vampiric Bloodline as both a support and combat role.
    • Created a new mechanic called "Vampire Form", allowing people to create a Vampiric OC inside their OC. Basically this acts as a transformed version of the Vampire that can (or can't, it depends on player choice) hide their identity to entice more pro-Vampire activities beyond the safety of Crookback, while also padlocking Mutations behind this Form.
    • Tossed around the Base Functions of Vampirism a bit to create a more cohesive picture and establish more clear rules around Vampire Feeding.
    However, a full rollout is not intended immediately. We released the Cratos Bloodline as an Experimental testing ground (all older Bloodlines remain where they are, for now), and we will be monitoring how the Cratos Bloodline is used and how players respond to the new mechanical rules of Vampirism in that Bloodline alone. If the Cratos Bloodline is a success mechanically and content wise, then the new format for Vampirism including the basic functions as well as the Vampiric Form will be rolled out to all other Vampire Bloodlines down the line.

As such, we encourage players who are inspired by the niche of the Cratos Vampires to try them out, but to also be reminded of the fact that this is content subject to change based on feedback, and modifications where necessary to tone down/tone up some mechanics for better experiences on the server. A lot of this is all just hypothetical theory to try and boost the Vampire population and put the fun back into playing a Vampire.

In summary. New Experimental Bloodline: https://wiki.massivecraft.com/Cratos_Bloodline, others will follow if this one is a success. Play at your own peril, but help us test new mechanics for Vampires for more fun Vampire Rp.

https://wiki.massivecraft.com/Vampirism#Cratos_Bloodline This page also contains a reference link to their Bloodline. If this Bloodline succeeds, all other Bloodlines will also be split to separate pages, and given more lore background to fulfill their niche in Vampire society.

• Powerful Powerful x 18
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Constructive Constructive x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Mad_Gadfly

Mad_Gadfly ◢◤

Quick question for anyone that can answer. Could it be that the vampire population is lower because there’s more Aberrancy types (werebeast, archblood, Kathar population explosion) than there used to be?

• Constructive Constructive x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Magivore

Magivore No Rest For The Wicked

I've got somewhat of an answer for this! The answer I can give from my position is no. Archblood and Werebeast populations have remained rather steady and don't generally pluck from people who already were biters, and of all things, the Kathar population explosion technically added to the count of Vampires in form of Crimson Witches and Zikiel. However, other communities have stayed relatively steady with ups and downs as to be expected. In the case of Vampires, I've seen probably 7 separate covens be created- 4 of which having Upyr- ever since the loss of Merith Wyrmwood, but they didn't last nearly as long as the Hierarchy did. In fact, the life-span of the last two covens that were created averaged a life-span of about 4 to 5 weeks before collapse, which is an absolute travesty when you compare it to, say, guard charters. I've also experienced a moderate decline and had my coven literally halved (from ~24 to ~12) when the first bounty on me was posted, but I've been just recently recovering at barely a positive increase with less members. Other covens haven't been so lucky. This update alone has sparked up enough interest to flood my PM's with people asking questions and trying to find where to begin to create their own Modron-like society and everyone else is excited.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Powerful Powerful x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Mad_Gadfly

Mad_Gadfly ◢◤

So, I think that part of the reason that vampire/aberrant/criminal groups may last so little is that they may either shrink due to conflict with rival clandestine groups (ic conflict and OOC competition for members) or conflict with law enforcement charters. A few examples come to mind, such as criminal organizations acting as (or teaming up with) mercenaries/bounty hunters to capture criminals in Crookback so that they are turned in to the city guards. I’m not sure how much this has affected vampire roleplay, but I know that with groups such as the Rose Movement, things like this caused the jacobin population to quickly dissolve. When the Inquisition got into a conflict with other charters like criminal organizations typically do, it was shut down relatively quickly as well. Not to mention that vampirism (and crime more broadly) is generally restricted to Crookback and the sewers, and that “criminality” in the city mostly takes the form of noble intrigue. It will be interesting to see how the next version of Regalia handles this, as it would be nice to see crime in city centers rather than just the outskirts. I’m very optimistic, and I think it will help just as much as the lore changes to vampirism announced in this thread.

The consensus that I’ve noticed from people that would like to participate in vampire/sewer crime roleplay, but decide not to, is that they feel like it’s too difficult to establish their own group since they can’t compete with the more well-established groups. I suppose there’s also the option for them to join one of said larger or more powerful groups (vampire covens in this case), but I imagine that there’s a certain appeal to starting your own group too. In the case of the people I’ve spoken to, instead of joining something like a vampire coven when they couldn’t make their own, they just avoided vampire roleplay altogether. Something I’ve also heard is that crime organizations behave/are treated more like noble houses “for people that didn’t get into nobility” than criminal organizations. Personally, I am a huge fan of the new World System, but for example, clandestine organizations own land, collect taxes, and run governments in the same way nobility does. This isn’t to say they should be eliminated from the system, but I have heard recommendations based on finding ways to treat clandestine organizations differently than noble houses in the system. Please take this with a grain of salt though, as I realize that when I say criminal/clandestine organizations, I expect them to have some level of vampire membership or leadership because there are few non-aberrant criminal organizations, which might not be the case anymore.

I haven’t really actively engaged in clandestine roleplay in a long time, so I’d like to see what you think about the points I brought up above. I would have thought that there being so many new types of Aberrancy to choose from may have contributed to the decline in vampire roleplayers, so I certainly find your experience interesting. Would you say, then, that the decline is attributed to a lack of interest in vampirism? If so, what would you say is the cause of that lack of interest?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Magivore

Magivore No Rest For The Wicked

These two movements didn't try hard enough for allies and tried too hard for enemies. Burning down the base of an established criminal organization with a nigh-unkillable leader who swears to unite the sewers against mercenaries and guardsmen who go too deep was not a good move, and in fact, was pretty much what made the sewers inhospitable for mercenaries for quite some time. Similarly, prompting for benevolent equity among everyone tends not to stick when you preach it to thieves, smirkers, and people who oppose the government because they want to be superior, not equal. Other groups simply didn't last because the leader lost personal motivation or the members did. Mass speed-run-to-the-chopping-block groups are otherwise a rare sight, so it comes down to personal conviction and the ability to accept a few speed humps before you hit the straightaway. Or just motivation. Maybe it's not as fun as you thought. Or maybe it is! You never know until you try.
    Just as above, you'll function fine if you look for friends before you look for enemies. This is how any organization falls, as pissing everyone off at the same time is good way to make every step be into an ambush with good cause. If they want to try making a coven, they certainly should, but they should know their limits and when they shouldn't be biting hands when being fed by them. Contrary to popular belief, this town is big enough for the two of us, so long as you don't try muscling everyone else out. You wouldn't slap a noble and call him a peasant in the hopes of creating a stronger family than them, right?
    But that's the best part about this new system. There's been no way to access Metalitra or progression artifacts as a Lich, nor be able to 'punish' a noble family who happens to be a troublesome target without prompting the entire city guard to tie me to a stake. Being able to act as a noble is arguably one of my most favourite parts that I can use to supply for others who show themselves promising to me, even if I am unable to meet and talk diplomacy like most of my counterparts. This part also isn't related to this thread.
    A breath of fresh air prevents the loss of interest, which is being provided for in this update, the update of V6, and happens each time a new coven leader drops by asking for people to fulfill a niche. As by the nature of this bloodline, it's an experiment, yes, but it's a welcome one that has already shown promise by exploding my coven chat with reference art. Just find a niche and hop into it, but don't pretend only one person can have it.

• Winner Winner x 5
    #5 Magivore, Jul 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  6. Mad_Gadfly

Mad_Gadfly ◢◤

I am convinced by everything @Magivore said. Thank you for taking the time to offer your input and address my observations!

• Like Like x 1