Archived Trait Plugin Suggestion

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

indyfan98

I'm not narcissistic. I'm just better than you.
Reaction score
a crappy hole in the ground, Pennsylvania.
Faction
ProudhammerClan
The trait plugin is coming soon. From what little info we have, here is what I can gather:

• Races will be rp only.
  • MCMMO will still be a thing.
  • You can take debuffs so you can get more points for buffs.
  • You get points from other things, but I don't know what. (I assume by leveling)
The trait plugin is a cool idea, and shows potential. However. I have a suggestion. I am sure that they won't be adding this, and if they would, they probably already have, but I am just posting this in case it hasn't been thought of.

My suggestion is:
What if there were races as buffs? These races would be free buffs that start players off with a path to choose. It would include a basic buff, like 15% more damage dealt with x weapon, or whatever. Then, this would open up a race exclusive list of traits. Here, I am using the example of the dwarf. Other races would be similar. Also, vampirism would be a human trait.

Dwarf:
Starter Trait: +15% damage dealt with axes.
1. Master Smith: (2 points) Less experience needed to forge from anvils.
2. Dwarven Feast: (2 points) Slightly more hunger regained from eating meat.
3. Protein Need: (+1 point) Less hunger regained from eating non-meat.
4. Berserker: (5 points) +25% more damage dealt with axes.
5. Alcoholic: (+2 points) Nausea effect added for 5 seconds for drinking any potion.
6: Master Miner: (4 points) Constant Eff. 1 effect when mining or digging.

These are just some suggestion to give an idea on what the race would do. There would be special ones for each race. These are not the specific ones the dwarf would have, but merely a basic idea. I don't want to see any comments that say, "Those traits would make dwarves over powered!" These are merely suggestions to give the idea for my point.

This would help new players know what races there are to play as without needing to read the lore right away. Most new players don't, so knowing what races there are is tough. This will also give general buffs to start with.

Just a suggestion.

Last edited:
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
that would be a decent idea but imagine the codeing, and if that's not hard it probably would interfere with the mcmmo.
it might be a good idea but I just don't see much from it. :|

Massivecraft already has a trait system that only Admins (Or that of rank) may use- as currently it's under development.

• You get points from other things, but I don't know what. (I assume by leveling)
The current plan is for a constant number of points, with bonus points for premium. Traits can be changed when pacifist true and standing still for 30 sec.
My suggestion is:
What if there were races as buffs? These races would be free buffs that start players off with a path to choose. It would include a basic buff, like 15% more damage dealt with x weapon, or whatever. Then, this would open up a race exclusive list of traits. Here, I am using the example of the dwarf. Other races would be similar. Also, vampirism would be a human trait.
We envision that there will only be suggestions for races. People already roleplay as one race and select another. There has been talk about a separate "story" plugin to give in game access to roleplay information, it's not far enough along to even have a set name yet.

Last edited:
Coding this would be like attempting to slap the queen of England with a fish and then running away naked. If you don't get the comparison it's a very hard thing to do. But it does seem like a good idea.

Coding this would be like attempting to slap the queen of England with a fish and then running away naked. If you don't get the comparison it's a very hard thing to do. But it does seem like a good idea.
They are already adding a trait plugin, so this would merely be new traits.

that would be a decent idea but imagine the codeing, and if that's not hard it probably would interfere with the mcmmo.
it might be a good idea but I just don't see much from it. :|
Though, the trait plugin works with mcmmo too. I don't see how this would be an issue.

A lot of people are saying it would be hard to code; it's not. His idea is basically a tech tree, which is not hard to code.

not traits. the races.
The races would merely be a buff. Simply saying that "If dwarf race is chosen, then make dwarf abilities available," does not seem that hard to code. I know very little about coding, but since they are adding traits, then this should be easy. Simply do something like /trait select dwarf. Then, do /trait view dwarf. The races are noting other then a buff themselves, and only open a new branch of buffs. Nothing more.

So hang on, the plugin is seems like a good idea or slapping the queen of England with a fish and running away naked seems like a good idea?

The whole idea for the trait plugin is to remove any sort if determined race buffs and debuffs.

The whole idea for the trait plugin is to remove any sort if determined race buffs and debuffs.
Yes, but this is not only for special buffs, but to also keep new players from making up fake races and saying "I don't see any races in game!" Yes, people make up races still, but alas, most new players don't read the lore. They have no idea of the available races. Plus, this is to make each character more fleshed out, and have defining traits based on their character's race. I wonder what will happen to one race only factions when the trait plugin comes out?

Yes, but this is not only for special buffs, but to also keep new players from making up fake races and saying "I don't see any races in game!" Yes, people make up races still, but alas, most new players don't read the lore. They have no idea of the available races. Plus, this is to make each character more fleshed out, and have defining traits based on their character's race. I wonder what will happen to one race only factions when the trait plugin comes out?

After speaking and having an explanation from cay himself. The idea is that you can mix and match with different traits regardless your race. Your roleplay itself still has to be lorecompliant however if you want to be a dwarf with night vision and double jump then be a dwarf with nightvision and double jump.

Massivecraft already has a trait system that only Admins (Or that of rank) may use- as currently it's under development.

I think its (fairly) common knowledge that there is a trait plugin in development. This is just a suggestion regarding this plugin. (If i read this right)

My only comment would be instead of a long list of race specific traits and a starter trait. Have two or three race specific traits, no starter trait, and 95% of traits would be usable for every race.
(Trying to prevent the Double jumping night-vision dwarf monster from being possible)

After speaking and having an explanation from cay himself. The idea is that you can mix and match with different traits regardless your race. Your roleplay itself still has to be lorecompliant however if you want to be a dwarf with night vision and double jump then be a dwarf with nightvision and double jump.
There will still be general buffs. This will just be for certain races to give new players an idea on what races there are. Everyone says to "Just read the lore," but nobody joins a server after reading the lore. Plus, this will help dwarf only, elf only, human only factions. And since vampirism is a trait with the plugin, then this will keep away the dwarf vampires, orc vampires, etc. I and many players enjoy the idea of race only buffs. Obviously, there will be certain buffs and debuffs that will be considered the best and most op. Everyone will chose these. People will chose the debuffs that have a negligible effect that will effect barely anything. Most people will be the same and have the same abilities. This is to make everyone a little bit different. Most RPGs with races have it so they have some kind of special buff or trait tree. I do understand that the trait plugin is to add variety to characters. However, the variety may just be the same as it is now. What weapon they specialize in.

Players should be required to RP as their race. Then this would be great!

I personally disagree. Many people RP as more than one character and its perfectly possible that their characters aren't all the same race. Waiting 3 days to change which character your RPing as doesn't make much sense to me...

One thing that would be required is that the talent tree would have to be reset when changing races. Not sure how the trait system is going to work and how you gain points in it, but this could pose a problem.

It's hard to say anything for sure since we have little information on the traits system, but as far as we can guess or know, there are buffs and debuffs, and I guess you cannot be balanced in favour of buffs (if you want to take more debuffs than buffs, well good for you, the principal being not being OP).

We could see the suggested race system as a base sheet : instead of starting from a blank sheet (no buffs or debuffs at all), start with a balanced pre made sheet. Any other traits you would add or remove would be added (or substracted if you remove) from the base layer, and again, this layer would need to have to be neutrally or negatively balanced, thus the total would not be balanced in your favour.
Any other trait you gain later would be a third layer, on top of all that, and you would just have to add all. Thus, changing race would just be changing the first layer, and would not affect the balance of the first two layers at all.

This layer model could or could not be theoritecal, you just have to add the new race and substract the old one and it'd be as balanced.

Anyway, contrary to what has been said, it shouldn't be too hard to code, I can hardly imagine a way to make it hard, and it sounds like a good idea :D

Edit: blank base sheet should be available too though ^^
Edit2: actually that could be for humans, as they are versatile
Edit3: Even if the amount of positive points we can have is greater than 0, as long as the race stats are balanced, it does notchange anything, it's just for the second layer ^^

Everyone says to "Just read the lore," but nobody joins a server after reading the lore.
Oh well, looks like I did something wrong then :x

Last edited:
This much I know, traits will be a big damned deal. I mean, just look at the tech notes in mc news:

Tech
  • Cayorion x4: MassiveTraits – Iteration #2 (Monday) – Now with 23 traits. Added: ArrowProof, Blind, EatCarnivore, EatHerbivore, EatLava, EatLight, EatOther, EatStone, EatWater, FireBall, FireProof, Harvester, Jump, Jump2, Meow, NightVision, PoisonProof, Shriek, Slow, Speed, Speed2, Vampire, WaterBreathing
  • Cayorion x4: MassiveTraits – Iteration #3 (Tuesday) – Now with 41 traits. Added: FlyWater, FlyLava, FlyWeb, BreakFast, BreakFast2, BreakSlow, DamageDealMore, DamageDealLess, DamageTakeMore, DamageTakeLess, TruceSpider, TruceBlaze, TruceCreeper, TruceGhast, TruceSilverfish, TruceUndead, TruceSlime, TruceWitch
  • Cayorion: (Wednesday) Fixed a bug causing voting rewards not getting delivered outside Server1 (Regalia).
  • Cayorion: (Wednesday) Fixed a bug causing quest money rewards not getting properly delivered.
  • Cayorion: (Wednesday) Compiled, Packaged and Uploaded new release versions of all our open source plugins to BukkitDev.
  • Cayorion x3: (Thursday) Added ProofBlind, ProofHunger, ProofNausea, ProofPoison, ProofSlow, ProofWither, TraitHealthBoost, TraitHealthBoost2. The FireBall trait can now be used by left clicking with the fireball item in hand. Started working on the holy/unholy traits.
  • Cayorion: (Friday) MassiveQuest – Expanded the functionality of the OnCraft rule. It now additionally covers furnaces and brewing stands.
  • Cayorion: (Friday) Improved the experience of Death and Respawn through the use of sound and visual effects.
  • Cayorion: (Friday) MassiveTraits – Continuous work on the two traits Holy and Unholy. This time with focus on holy water splash potions. Holy water now deals 50% damage to unholy health and food level. Unholy will emmit dark clouds if hit. Holy will emmit bright clouds if hit. There is also a big particle effect all over the target area.
  • Cayorion: (Friday) MassiveTraits – Added magic particle effect to the FireBall spell trait.
  • Cayorion: (Friday) MassiveTraits – Added traits: EmoteLove, EmoteMagic.
  • Cayorion: (Saturday) Made the area particle effect for dead players visible to the dead player only as it was intended it would be. Made the MassiveTrait list commands display three traits per row instead of one. Reduces the amount of pages to a third and improves usability.

levers

Status
Not open for further replies.