Pending Review Trade Caravans

Discussion in 'Factions' started by Morbytogan, Mar 9, 2019.

?

Do you like the Idea?

1. Yes

92.9%
  2. No

7.1%
  1. Morbytogan

Morbytogan King of Desolation, Emperor of the Isolated Empire Supremium

Introducing...

upload_2019-3-9_18-40-24.png

upload_2019-3-9_18-40-37.png

upload_2019-3-9_18-40-20.png

MassiveCraft Trade Caravans is a new plugin suggestion by @Morbytogan

The Idea
    Trade Caravans would be an exceptionally rare custom event-like spawn on MassiveCraft, spawning perhaps only once every 14-21 days. They would be visible from Dynmap to allow for heavy competition, and there would be a chat announcement when a Trade Caravan has spawned. They would spawn randomly in the world, and would only spawn above ground, preventing players being able to find these trapped in darkrooms.

The Caravan would then move slowly across the map, in no particular direction. The Caravans would carry an extreme amount of high-tier loot, making them targets for all across the map. This loot would include about 1,500 regals, pink lore, a large amount of diamonds, mixed with some less rare loot, such as a stack of netherwart. This adds a great incentive for players to attack these caravans.

The Caravans would have more than the 4 parts pictured above, ideally, with each carrying part carrying a portion of the loot. However, these parts would each have extremely high health, taking ~500 hits from a god sword w/ crits. This high level of health adds a risk factor to players wishing to attack it, as it would be likely that other players would arrive before it is killed.

This would add more organic PvP to MassiveCraft - PvP fuelled by players wanting to gain. These Caravans would be highly contested for, due to the great loot that they carry. Further, it would hopefully engage more new players into PvP as they attempt to profit from attacking these caravans. Additionally, they would encourage PvPers to PvP even more - and to stockpile resources in preparation for a huge fight over these Caravans.

Finally, these Caravans would add a new dynamic to MassiveCraft - yet another unique experience to a unique server.

PS: This is not a complete idea yet and I am open to suggestions, feel free to discuss below!

EDITS:

- Changed the suggested regal reward from 5,000 to 1,500.​

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #1 Morbytogan, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  2. Winterless

Winterless The MVP of Romance RP

ay ay ay woah nelly

that's a bit much

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Educated Educated x 1
  3. JepTheLegend

JepTheLegend Redstone Miner

4. Sir_Daragon

Sir_Daragon Your Local Staff Member Game2

I like the General idea, the hard health, the randomization. and the fact that it wouldnt be an actual event (like /tp event) and you'd have to find it in essalonia

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Morbytogan

I wanted it to be something really worth fighting over, but the large amount of loot is also why I suggested it taking a few hundred hits to kill each part of the Caravan. What do you suggest I change it to?

6. Ndfeb

Ndfeb CEO of Lyrah

just another american timezone only event...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Morbytogan

There's a reason I said for it to be completely random when it spawns (but between 14-21 days)

8. Wooperr

Wooperr

I like the idea. I think the timing and the rewards would need to be discussed more.

9. Sephite

Sephite Lillith ✤ TheFairy

All that would do is make already set up factions richer. New joiners wouldn't stand a chance to gain any of that loot, if they lack god gear, potions, pearls and a good understanding of Massivecraft's fighting system. I agree however that it could add a new challenge for veteran players and maybe (if you are lucky to have enough people on) epic fights.

Edit: it's basically like a faction timing out where you know there's loot.

• Immersive Immersive x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. hardname12

hardname12 1v7 no potz

Good idea but I agree with others rewards need a fix

11. Winterless

Agreed

I think any system like this is ultimately doomed to fail because of the overwhelming power imbalance that currently exists on Massive

12. 65jes89

65jes89 Leader of SunKiss

Rewards are way overbalanced, but whatever.

I think something similar could be done already with MassiveMobs though; wouldn’t really need a new plugin.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Winterless

donkeh massive mob?

14. 65jes89

I mean like that’s not really the point though. The intent is to give new content to old players who’ve reached endgame and just pvp/build/etc with no real goal in mind. Adding more things to do is always a plus, in my opinion.

• Educated Educated x 1
  15. Winterless

I would generally agree but in this case you can just go onto the auction house and view the weapon or armour categories to see that there is a severe monopoly over endgame items and thus endgame content, which would be even worsened by this addition

it's literally Gethelp koth all over again tbh

16. Sephite

Kinda what I said. But Morby pointed out how it could help new factions and I doubt it would.

17. Morbytogan

I mentioned that as sort of a bonus - I feel that a few more players could get involved if there's such a high reward. It's primarily meant to be extra content for endgame players as jes said, though.

18. Sephite

And I agreed that it would add something for veteran players if anyone cared to read all I said.

19. 65jes89

But I mean, who cares? Maybe some factions are richer, and this will make those factions richer, but I don’t see why that matters as long as it’s giving us something to do. It’s not as if havigg more sets of god armor is an issue, and although god weapons are too rare atm imo, it’s not like giving out one or two more will hurt, especially if it’s creating activity on the server.

The issue with gethelp’s koth was gethelp was an idiot who only listened to people who agreed with him, and so he refused to lower the number of koths, and item drops were disabled instead. There was nothing inherently wrong with koth except that it was overdone for massives population; the koths toku put on were some of the best fights I ever had.

• Constructive Constructive x 1
    • Educated Educated x 1
  20. Morbytogan

Gethelp's koths would constantly take place - multiple times a day. As I said, this would be only 2-3 weeks, so would not have a great impact on the economy in the grandscheme of things. Also, it would be in Essalonia so you would lose your gear if you died - adding a risk factor that wasn't present in Gethelp's koths. Also, you have to actively chase it down across the map - a race. Not like gethelp's koths where you literally got tp'd right ontop of the capture point.

It gives us something to do and aim for.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Sir_Daragon

what if its set up on a random timer, so anytime during that 14th-21st day it would spawn. that way players cant really predict.

22. Morbytogan

That's what I said on the post xd

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. FireFan96

FireFan96 Ever present, Ever seeing Staff Member Lore2

I don't see an issue with the rich getting richer just because they already beat vanilla minecraft on the server. The server reset, and people were on the same level. Then everyone went back to their own routine, and you have survivalists with most of the money and rpers as plebs. It was going to happen anyways, and that's just how the game works. roleplay doesn't take many resources, if any, so naturally there will be those wealth imbalances.

I personally love the concept of a world event that players have to hunt for in order to get the rewards. Do I think the rewards are extreme? Absolutely, 5,000 regals is too much money that will probably go nowhere. Perhaps open up Prot V armor piece with a low drop rate, say 5%? This would be a semi more op item, but it isn't game breaking (given prot V does exist on the server through the New Ceardia items) and would be a worthwhile reward for those that want to get something good. Or maybe a mending book.

tl;dr, love the idea, just the rewards need to be tweaked to offer a good incentive without breaking the economy.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Morbytogan

A few people have told me this.

Changed regal amount from 5k to 1.5k

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Winterless

I think further widening the gap between upcoming and established factions is a criminally understated problem, because established factions are not going to be around forever. We've seen this problem repeatedly for years on Massive and no one seems to care, and then wonder why PvP completely dies for 6 months when a side of the war collapses

When you have people with double chests of god weapons, and then conversely people who are trying to get into PvP who are struggling to even get a single axe, you have a clear problem where there isn't enough opportunities for new players to get involved. I am fundamentally bored of fighting people that I have fought for the past 5 years, and furthermore I am not a fan of the behaviour this kind of event would create, where people instantly turn up to the event, instagib the caravan, and then leave with all of the loot and repeat that every month until we have the exact same situation as before where people have literal double chests of pink items. If people were interested in PvP they would PvP of their own volition. In my experience both on old massive and new massive I have rarely seen an event that actually stimulated PvP and then kept the PvP interest for an extended period of time.

You can see this scenario playing out literally everywhere. Sure, Toku's KOTHs were fun. For the first 2 weeks. After that, it devolved from 19v3 and 10v10 to 4v4 and 3v3. Same story with Blazes. Hell, I'll bet you could even make a decay model that shows the decrease in PvP interest over time.

Cause fundamentally there is a massive group of established PvPers, on both sides of the aisle, that seem to not care at all about PvPing unless they stand to gain a profit off it, and if profit's off the table they will just refuse to PvP. It's just asking for more inflation tbh and scummy behaviour during events that makes people not want to play

• Immersive Immersive x 1
  26. MokeDuck

MokeDuck Hail the duckfather!

I feel like this is neat, but it would be easier if it were just a neat mob like a giant or big slime and it didn't move. It would have the same effect, I think.

27. 65jes89

So your solution is what exactly? Short of frequent resets that problem (which I don’t entirely agree is a problem at all) has no real solution I can see, other than giving out god weapons for free. Which is what kit is for.

I just don’t understand your issue with it. Yea, it’s boring to fight the same people over and over. But it’s not negatively affecting new players by giving old players something to do. It’s not as if we’re suggesting prot 10 armor for people who participate. It doesn’t make it any harder, or easier, for new players to get gear. It just creates conflict. The idea that we just sit around and raid each other at the same bases over and over is worse than fighting the same people over and over, in my opinion. At the very least, random events, such as this, change the location.

I just really don’t understand how you could possibly see this as a negative, respectfully.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  28. Sir_Daragon

also remember how most pvpers shame any other way of fighting/defending. PVPers boycott elytra defenders, you hate it when a factio ndefends itself with debuff. Disable unarmed(although it was too op but still) If it isnt mindless sword swining, the community is against it then later complains the PVP is plain and boring. Stop digging your own grave

29. Winterless

The part where I disagree with this lies in the "creating conflict" part. Given other events like this that have been implemented in the past (i.e. tp blazes, etc.) I just genuinely don't think it will encourage people to PvP, and I think it'll just be used to farm loot instead of actually fighting.

That being said, I do agree that there isn't much to do in Factions right now, so in that respect we're in agreement that this is a good idea to implement.

30. Winterless

I have actively barracked against this mentality for the best part of 3 months. My problem is not that it's different, my problem is that I doubt it will have significant PvP activity.

31. BlueChaos

BlueChaos Beggar

I don't agree with the pink lore considering you cannot get this apart from the old server. (trunks storage) Either pick another colour / make a new colour lore or downgrade to yellow.

32. Morbytogan

I thought of that, which is why this happens only once every 2-3 weeks.

33. poilet66

poilet66 M4ST3R R3N0V8R

Easy fix to the ‘kitty-esque’ camp solution is just make it so a vanished staff has to spawn it in eZ that way they can dictate a fair position during a peak time in the right conditions such as good tps

34. MDJTHEHERO

MDJTHEHERO Beggar

something like this would just be dominated completely by one side, server simply isnt big enough for stuff like this to work in a proper way, instead of working on stuff like this work on stuff that will grow the factions playerbase, then on stuff like this afterwards

• Agree Agree x 1
  35. Genecide65

Genecide65 Mich

I like the idea, but I think there needs to be some other elements. Ill get straight to my point: I don't know who else has played Mount and Blade: Warband, but, they too have trade caravans from other kingdoms that travel around the map. Approaching these caravans and demanding their loot will cause a battle with them, they are quite easy to fight, and the end reward is pretty wholesome. Normally trade goods you can easily sell for a lot of coin. Caravans are a good way to earn money, HOWEVER, fighting them will cause your reputation to be tarnished and your honor to go down, causing hostilities between other kingdoms + lower chances of making friends with other lords, ladies, etc. If this were to be implemented, I think there would need to be a bonus, or an incentive, to NOT fight with them, but to let them do their own thing, instead of just being free convenient loot spawns that travel the map. I honestly don't know how any honor system or anything could be implemented or whatever but hopefully this can spark an idea/conversation about the idea.

tagging some people who i want to see this lol
    @Winterless @Sevak @Morbytogan @65jes89

• Powerful Powerful x 1
  36. Sevak

Sevak King of Deldrimor

I agree with you. A random spawn every 14-21 days (though this would probably be reworked) is completely different than a KOTH that runs 8 times a day for a year. We also wouldn't be giving out 5000 regals. If this were implemented or anything like this, it would simply be for the purpose of providing much needed content to players who have already reached the end game. It has no negative effect on anyone.
    I agree with you for the most part, but increasing factions playerbase is something that will happen over time, not something staff can snap their fingers and make happen. I see no problem with this as long as it's not harming the economy or going to take up too much time/energy to implement. It simply provides new content for old players who right now don't have much interest.
    This isn't something like blazes where everyone can share. This is win or lose scenario. Sort of like when KOTH was weekly (right before the reset) If the reward is good, players will want to fight for these.
    I disagree completely. Elytra is not the issue, it's using debuffs while flying as elytra that pvpers have a problem with. Unarmed was overpowered as you said. And for the last time, PvP is not mindless sword swinging. Agreed that we should create more variation in potential classes, i.e the HCF classes, but allowing stuff like Elytra is not the solution. This is a tangent though and I don't want to ruin Morby's thread by discussing it here, if you'd like to talk about it more, pm me.
    I like the idea, and would love to see it implemented. Certainly would need work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  37. Sevak

Sevak King of Deldrimor

I love Mount and Blade and I like the idea but it may over complicate it

• Agree Agree x 2
  38. 65jes89

aye. as it stands now, this could be done with massivemobs, the only new thing from tech would be broadcasts of the spawn, I believe. adding a system as mentioned would require an entirely new plugin, though.

• Constructive Constructive x 1
  39. Winterless

I agree, I think choices are fundamental in deciding player enjoyment.

40. Cae_22

Cae_22 Mall Santa | Freelance sperm donor

I actually love this idea, it gives incentive to get involved in essalonia, it gives pvpers an objective to fight for instead of endlessly fighting each other in raids back and forth, and it gives rewards to those more active on a day to day basis. The only issue I have with this (outside of the rewards which everyone seems to have disliked as well) is that it benefits the lucky, the caravan may spawn at any time and any place, meaning it could spawn at 6am or 6pm and only gives advantages to those on that time zone, it may also spawn near a faction for easy loot for whichever faction it spawns near, some corrections for this would be to increase the occurrence of which they spawn (which means you’d have to decrease the loot further) or make it spawn at a set time, but as you said before I’m not interested in having another Koth so let’s not do that please, the only other thing I could think of is to make a measure to ensure it wouldn’t spawn within let’s say 200-300 blocks of a faction and maybe increase the chances of it spawning based on how many players were on at that time instead of just completely luck of the draw, maybe an announcement could go out when the caravan spawned too. Other than that this is a great idea.