Til: Uni

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Narrju, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Narrju

Narrju Nari

This thread is for neat (or weird) things I learned in Uni. I'll keep it updated.

2. Narrju

Narrju Nari

TIL that Moses was a shitty talker and had his brother Aaron do a lot of the talking. My childhood movie, The Prince Of Egypt, was a LIE.

• Powerful Powerful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Immersive Immersive x 1
  3. Annju

Annju The True Queen of Nerds Staff Member World2
    1. º • Ann's Secret Base • º

Say hi to Nubs for me please.

• Powerful Powerful x 1
  4. Narrju

Narrju Nari

TIL Polynesians have pretty bad health statistics because of colonialism

• Educated Educated x 7
    #4 Narrju, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  5. Ailethi

Ailethi ☾The Uneventful Dreamer☽

:thinking:

6. MonMarty

MonMarty the thot thiccens… Staff Member Server Owner

I'd argue this one isn't entirely accurate. Cases like American Samoa barely had any interaction with colonial powers all the way up to WW2. It was the Japanese occupation mixed with the violent American re-conquest, the utter collapse of local wildlife stability, that made the import of American canned food and particularly over-salted spam a necessity to keep the local population alive in a time when famine struck every south east Asian country. The people simply became habitually dependent on processed foods because of this stop gap in local food stability, but is has nearly nothing to do with colonialism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Narrju

Narrju Nari

Thanks for sharing, this is interesting to learn. I'm going to try follow up on this with my professor

8. MonMarty

I watched a Deutsche Welt docu on it a while back. I think Babayonce also facebook shared a video on samoan food and how some people are trying to make them go back to the old ways - ultimately it may be a bit of a moot point because global warming is destroying the eco systems of polynesian communities. Even if WW2 hadn't happened, and even if America didn't use bombs on the islands, and even if post war collapse didn't result in famine, the sea level is rising and for such small islands so close to the sea level, their groves and vegetable plantations get salinated and eventually all they have left is just processed food from America.

• Constructive Constructive x 1
  9. Narrju

Narrju Nari

Do you recommend any other documentaries I should watch?

10. The_Western_Fox

The_Western_Fox *Insert Clever Custom Title Here*
    1. Nommy's Cookie Convention

If you ever get to a lesson on Yugoslavia, and specifically the wars in it from 1990-95, I got some information that you can use if you have a paper for it.

11. Narrju

Narrju Nari

The Polynesians' crappy health statistics came from Ethnic Studies class (I didn't pick it, it was mandatory). I don't think we'll be focusing on Yugoslavia at all since the professors here seem to focus more on America and Hawaii. But I'm down to learn more, so send that good stuff over yo

12. MonMarty

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW39zufHfsuGgpLviKh297Q

anything this channel makes is good, but you have to remember:
    • This channel markets an anti-globalization opinion
    • This channel markets an anti free-market opinion
    • This channel markets political correctness
    • This channel markets a social ideology
    The documentaries are great to learn how things are "on the other side" but as with anything put out, has a political agenda. Take everything they say and show with a grain of salt, a lot of it is overly negative and gets a very "oh these poor developing country people" while ignoring some of the good parts, it focuses too much on the bad parts. It's relevant to understand all the facts, but don't take what they produce as the only facts, because it's all politically biased.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  13. Narrju

Narrju Nari

TIL from Mythology class, that the story of Abraham almost killing his second-born son, Isaac, had the end story moral of "STOP SACRIFICING YOUR KIDS". Like offering the first fruit to the gods/god, people sacrificed their first children so they can have more children in the future.