Pending Review The Welcome Feature

Discussion in 'Server' started by Emkaloua, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Emkaloua

Emkaloua Regalian Senator

As sweet as it was the first few times, it's tedious to get server spammed with "Welcome!" People could be trying to quest or something similar and want to leave general chat open while they do. ZiHAMMER mentioned that a new channel might be worth considering to contain the spam and be /ch leave-able, and I agree. If that's not reason enough to make that new channel, perhaps we could move some of the more general "what do" questions by new players out of help and into there as well. Feedback is greatly appreciated! (though I'll probably defend my views pls remember tho I'm not trying to flame-ingo ya)

• Educated Educated x 1
    • Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1
    #1 Emkaloua, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. ZiHAMMER

ZiHAMMER Violettee is a transgender

I also mention that ridgefox is buying sandstone.

• Constructive Constructive x 2
    • Powerful Powerful x 1
  3. MyCatBubbles

MyCatBubbles Massivecrafts Schizo

you'd really be ruining the community aspect of the whole welcome spamming thing if you made a channel dedicated solely to just saying 'welcome'. I don't see no issue to just leaving general chat while you do your quest either..

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ZiHAMMER

Nope.

• Immersive Immersive x 1
    • Powerful Powerful x 1
  5. Emkaloua

Not just questing, but people being active in the community in general and just not wanting their whole conversation being pushed off the screen and not knowing what's goin' on. I also think the whole idea behind a reward for just saying "welcome" instead of bein' like "Yo, welcome to Massive, here's a link to roleplay stuff, here's one to faction stuff, and boom! Lemme know if you have questions, kay?" is kinda (though a nice idea) disappointing. Sure, it shows that new player specifically that the server is fairly large and active, but all newly logged-on players have every chat enabled anyway. If ya don't care about the 5r and don't want the spam, it'd be nice to leave just that chat and not have to deal with new player questions while still being in help and general chat.

6. Emkaloua

7. MyCatBubbles

MyCatBubbles Massivecrafts Schizo

@Emkaloua

That applies to having a seperate chat, you're basically excluding the noobs into a 'noob pool' lol

8. Emkaloua

personally I think a noob pool woulda been very helpful when I first joined especially with lore and the like

9. Mojavens

Mojavens The world cannot live without love.

so much spam! so many free regals....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. mynameisghostboy

mynameisghostboy Arch Druid of Bloomcrest

I think the fact that it rewards regals at all is sort of problematic. Me and others I've talked to about this feature agree that there doesn't need to be monetary incentive attached to this and the guaranteed spam for money is way more discouraging than it is welcoming. Not to mention the fact that every single time it happens people chime in general about how they just did it for money anyway.

The spam is much more disruptive than anything. I've lost countless messages I didn't have the opportunity to even read because it was immediately bumped out of existence by the welcomes.

I think if people want to welcome new players to the server, they absolutely should have the opportunity. I am among the people who would say welcome w/o monetary incentive and I believe that's how it should've been the entire time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Emkaloua

bumpa bump

12. aprader1

aprader1 Insert amazing title here

Finally someone understands! I made a post about this when it was initially released. Waddya know exactly what I predicted has happened...

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Emkaloua

bump PLUS an added point is that this whole thing discourages a good amount of players from talking in general chat like they would normally for fear that they'll miss the welcome reward with their cooldown

14. SirePyro

SirePyro The Definition of Insanity

Well, congratulations on that, and you're right. Starting out, there should have been no reward, even if that was only to test whether one should be implemented. Sadly, the staff either didn't think to or chose not to do that, and now we're here. At this point, it just wouldn't make much sense to backpedal. If staff removed the regal reward, the player response would likely be overwhelmingly negative. Consider that people's minds just don't work like a computer. Sure, most players probably would welcome newbies anyways, but they would be angry if they now had to do it for free, even if they would have been willing to do so originally. You belong to a minority, and while I agree with you on some points, the staff won't make game changes because 20% of the server wants it... that's how this whole "being staff" gig works. If they operated like that, prioritizing what the minorities want, the server as it is today would be quite different, and not for the better.

15. SirePyro

That's fair, and something should be done about that. Obviously the possibility of a Welcome channel has been discussed, but really, I would just say... get over it. It's 5r, new players join pretty often, you won't end up bankrupt because you missed one chance for a pretty tiny amount of money. I'll admit I've abstained from talking in General a couple times, but it's definitely worth noting that A)90% of the time when I got over myself I didn't lose an opportunity to welcome someone, and that B)It was never a very important remark any of the times, a joke or something most times. If you have something worth saying... say it! You win some, you lose some, but the one who really loses is the one who never opens their mouth

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ZiHAMMER

And must be ignored.

• Immersive Immersive x 1
  17. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

The monetary incentive is a kickstart to longer running goals to allow players to help us keep new players around. It's not the only feature that serves to latch onto new players that is planned, and it won't be a permanent feature either. As with anything, habits need to be created, and this is the best (only) solution we have right now besides just purely relying on the ultra-kind, of which there are few.

The monetary reward has been tapering, as you've noticed. It will continue to taper, but I see no reason to speed it up anytime soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SirePyro

Really? I get the feeling that if staff based their decisions on whatever they felt was "cool" and did not care about player response, the server and its community would not be nearly as positive as it is. Granted, I am not and have never been staff, but it seems to me that the positive responses to things like the Traits plugin are a large part of why we have them. If the staff were constantly being told by the entire community, or even most of it, that they could be doing a better job wherever, I feel confident that they would figure out a way to satisfy those concerns. Every server's staff rely upon their respective community's goodwill... I don't mean to say that they only do what the community demands, but I believe the feedback they're given has a larger role than you give them credit for. Correct me if I'm wrong, though...
    @MonMarty

19. ZiHAMMER

Don't generalize, I only said that exact thing must be ignored.

20. Emkaloua

This thread has definitely influenced my personal view, as many of you brought up excellent thoughts. At this point, my standing can be summed up as the belief that a regal reward does influence people to welcome new players more than usual - or at least showcase the number of people on the server at the time. I also remain in favor of an extra channel to benefit those who'd prefer to ignore the spam while staying in general chat.

Regardless if you agree or not, all that's left to do now is to vote! We've got a poll! (Check the discord announcements!)

#20 Emkaloua, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  21. SirePyro

I swear I've filled this form out already... isn't it the same as was on the discord?

#21 SirePyro, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  22. Emkaloua

Yes, it's glitched... I should probably take it down since I can't exactly rely on the honor system with infinite submission opportunities. Doin' that now.

23. SirePyro

Honor system? What's that?