ancient gay
Reaction score
Roleplay Guilds
House Croy
monky-business.regular (1).webp

maxresdefault.webp

shadow_fw_.png

Summary
An institution of recent origins, the Troubadors are a congregation of enthusiastic poets, but sometimes also playwrites and actors, who seek to share their works of primarily poetry. It encourages intellectual discussion of the meaning of established works, and development of new ones. The Society also uses its backing of wealthy individuals to fund publications of said poetry, should the Society approve of it. It functions as a group rather than a top-down organization, not exactly having a system of rank, but instead simply a Chamberlain who calls the meetings and generally hosts them. The Troubadours often provide services to would-be poet commoners, giving them lodging and food, in exchange for eventually publishing works under the Society's name. All in all, the Troubadours are dedicated to the craft of poetry, wishing to see it proliferated and enjoyed by the peoples of the world.

More a collection of enthusiasts than a guild, the Troubadours allow virtually anyone in who shares their passion, yet are picky about what poems they wish to publish and endorse. Practically speaking, it's a merit based group, who reward and endorse those who they believe have earned, but would never deny a lover of poetry from being involved in their activites.
shadow_fw_.png

Services, Activites, and Tasks
The Troubadour Society offers a number of things to do, but doesn't exactly dish out expectations of members. In their mostly unofficial ranking system, they may often ask published or potentially publishing poets to produce a work. The various amounts of group activies that take place are the following:

Flockings
Flockings are held randomly and informally, depending on the schedules of the people involved. They are, in essence, a general idea of the society members meeting at a specified place, to do any number of the usual society pasttimes. These can range from simply social calls, to debates, to votes on a publication. A Troubadour can expect to attend Flockings rather frequently, as they are merely social gathers above all things, and great ways to build relationships with their fellow enthusiasts. Flockings will be held at a preestablished, repeating location, with the exception at certain times depending on activity. The location will be provided shortly once we have reached a decent number and the building is furnished.

Readings and Debates
Often times, the Society will gather to read aloud established poetry, either by outside poets or inner society produced ones. The readings can be theatrical, satirical, or serious, depending on the work, and is usually followed by intense discussion or debate about the piece. Usually these discussions will cover the tempo, rhyming, tone, setting, theme, arguments, author, or really just about anything one could gather from a written work. Readings are done quite commonly, especially so when there is much content to work off of.

Publication Votings
Publication Votings are merely when the society gathers to discuss sponsoring a produced piece of poetry, and funding it to be featured in libraries, courts, and printed on parchment to be sold. While the Society holds absolutely no kind of ground in the Literary World at large, they hope to one day be seen that their mark of approval means something for a piece of poetry. But for now, it's merely a way of creating camraderie between poets, as well as potentially weeding out poor poets who would sully their repute.

Slams
Slams are generally fun-filled, wine-fueled nights of the poets partying and slinging verse at one another, trying to come up with humourous, silly, appraising, boastful, or insulting poetic lines to say to one another, in a night of banter and revelry.

Performances
This can be a long-lasting or sporadic activity that takes place, usually in regards to the few plays the group indulges in. However, this can also be applied to epic poems or more lengthy prose ones. The society may publically or privately produce a performance of this, either for the fun of it or for the repute.

Workshops
The Society often will come together to work on their poetry and pieces together, bouncing ideas off each other, sharing their works, and helping one another improve them. Utilizing the minds around to enchance their work, the Society hopes it will endorse better poetry from doing so. Occassionaly, the Troubadours may host public workshops, to teach concepts to would-be writers and help them on their external pieces.

Poetry Nights
These would be events the society hosts from time to time, presenting various works of poetry to likely the nobility and aristocracy. It is a great chance to expose potential poets to high society, and find them fame and endorsements should they perform well. Typically, the Chamberlain finds some sort of prize to donate to the best poet of the night, either in gold payments or endorsements with noble houses.

Many More!
These are just a snippet of what the Society would plan to do at any given time. This should give you a taste of what to expect from it, but isn't a limit to the fun!

shadow_fw_.png

Commendations of the Society
Chamberlain - Benedict Yates-Varley
The Chamberlain only exists to organize Society Flockings, perfomances, events, so on and so forth. Nobody in the Society holds authority over the others, except in the manner of the group being able to approve or deny publications.

The Golden Laurels
These are members who have published more than three poems under the Society's name. Like the ranks with them, they hold absolutely no authority, but is merely a commendation for their continued diligence and sponsership of the craft. This title enables a member to vote on a publication.

The Silver Stags
These are members who have published two or three poems within the Society. Like the ranks with them, they hold absolutely no authority, but is merely a commendation for their continued diligence and sponsership of the craft. This title enables a member to vote on a publication.
Members:
|| Augustin Reinard ||

The Authors of Alum
This tier of members are those have come forward and managed to get a single poem published, an accomplishment not to be scoffed at. This is the minimum required "title" to have to be able to vote on a new publication.
Members:
|| Milena du Brierust || Haeddi Harhold || Milojica Serdjanson av Ramsau || Sir Dante Tyrannian ||

Enthusiasts of the Craft
This is the base term for someone who has done the Society the honour of joining. Whether authors, critics, or simply fans, this term applies to actually everyone in the Society, even those with commendations. While they cannot vote with only this title, if an Enthusiast comes forth with a piece they deem worthy of the Authors of Alum commendation, they will be permitted to vote without having a publication. This system is used to determine early voters on publications before the Society has published anything.
Members:
|| Novellia av Fristadvolm || Margaery de la Riviére ||

shadow_fw_.png

OOC: How to Join
A potential member of the society needs to only provide a simply letter to the Chamberlain Benedict Yates-Varley (In response to this thread), including their name, skills, relevant information, and a description of their adoration of poetry. In the future, a Discord may be provided. A person can only be DENIED on THESE GROUNDS:
  • Is NOT an Ailor, Nelfin, Sihai, Dwarf, Qadir, Songaskian, Yanar, Maraya, or Ailor-Leaning Half-Race.
    • Kathar and Manathar are not permitted, should someone be mislead by Nelfin being accepted.
  • Is NOT literate.
  • Is a criminal or involved in criminal activity.
  • Someone who may beget dishonour of the Society.
  • Non-Unionists can be permitted depending on their religion. If you are not Unionist, please convey your religion in your letter. Certain ones will not be allowed to maintain the respect of the Society.
A potential member can apply for the title of Author of Alum should they meet these preresiquites:
  • Has 3 or more Literary Arts Proficiency.
  • Can include a copy of a past piece of work, to be reviewed by the Chamberlain and/or other Alums, Silvers, or Goldens.
A potential member can apply for the title of Silver Stag should they meet these preresiquites:
  • Has 5 or more Literary Arts Proficiency.
  • Can include TWO copies of past pieces of work, to be reviewed by the Chamerlain and/or other Alums, Silvers, or Goldens.
None can apply for the Golden Laurel title.

shadow_fw_.png

OOC: Location of Aftonhead

To begin instructions, do /tp Park Ballroom, then follow map.

Last edited:
To Mister Benedict Yates-Varley

I thank you for the letter notifying me of the Society's creation. As we spoke of previously, I would be more than glad to join. As we already discussed my love of poetry (and its proper use to provoke thought), and that I also dabble in the art as you do, I do not imagine that much introduction is necessary. Nevertheless, I suppose it's prudent to mention that beyond poetry, I also dabble in the writing of more formal academic treatises, and broader literary works.
I've enclosed two poems for reference, and look forward to meeting with you in future.

With sincerest regards,
Augustin Reinard

Last edited:
Good Mister Reinard,

I reviewed your pieces and was quite impressed. I'm in need of a trusted poetic talent as your self as an early example, and you have been admitted as a Silver Stag.

Regards,
Benedict Yates-Varley

[!] A kestrel would arrive with a steel cylinder attached to it. A letter would be rolled in it.

To Mister Yates-Varley,

I heard news of your organization and would like to join. I'm not sure if my poetry skill is sufficient, but I've written songs before and would like to see if I can learn more poetry to combine with my work. I also have experience with theatre arts from my travels. It is with my hope that I will be able to contribute well, despite not being the most skilled in this field.

Sincerely,
Novellia Raedotter av Fristadvlom

A small letter would arrive bearing a red seal to close it, 'H.H.' pressed into the wax. The letter itself had a small passage from The Adventurer written above the actual letter.

----
"Many people have boring lives
But this boy, he was not one
He was born to have loves of fun"
To Mister Benedict Yates-Varley,

Following our conversation earlier today, I have decided to send a letter your way to ask for participation. While, as I said, I am not too terrible good at writing poems myself, I would love to be involved and read the works of others that sign up. Thank you for creating such a wonderful organization and I hope to speak to you again soon, whether at a meeting via this group or from a simple run in as we had today at the Palace!
Spirit's Guidance,
Madame Haeddi Jehanne Harhold
Daughter of the Duke of Vlissinghelm, Hengest Harhold
----
@Mooffins

To the Chamberlain of the Troubadour Society of Poets,

I have heard of recently of this society you have made Mr. Yates-Varley. I have spent some of my life focusing on a hobby of learning violin and piano, and as such, it has made me quite interested in songwriting and writing poetry in general. I have no works currently done, though I am thoroughly intrigued in completing some poetic work myself in the near future. Even if I do not fulfill my want to complete a poem, my appreciation of the arts still stands strong. I do hope you consider me an adequate candidate and accept me into your fold. I do hope you have a blessed day no matter your decision.

Yours Truly,
Margaery de la Riviére​

To Mister Benedict Yates-Varley,

Following our conversation earlier today, I have decided to send a letter your way to ask for participation. While, as I said, I am not too terrible good at writing poems myself, I would love to be involved and read the works of others that sign up. Thank you for creating such a wonderful organization and I hope to speak to you again soon, whether at a meeting via this group or from a simple run in as we had today at the Palace!
Spirit's Guidance,
Madame Haeddi Jehanne Harhold
Daughter of the Duke of Vlissinghelm, Hengest Harhold

To the Chamberlain of the Troubadour Society of Poets,

I have heard of recently of this society you have made Mr. Yates-Varley. I have spent some of my life focusing on a hobby of learning violin and piano, and as such, it has made me quite interested in songwriting and writing poetry in general. I have no works currently done, though I am thoroughly intrigued in completing some poetic work myself in the near future. Even if I do not fulfill my want to complete a poem, my appreciation of the arts still stands strong. I do hope you consider me an adequate candidate and accept me into your fold. I do hope you have a blessed day no matter your decision.
Yours Truly,
Margaery de la Riviére

Both of these are accepted, of course! Apologies for the late reply.

Update

As a small update, I'm merely the results of an event to see if we might have a nice spot for our first gathering, but if it's not announced soon-ish, I will simply plan a gathering for us at the Golden Willow or some other establishment. I'd ask anyone willing to, within the group, to begin preparing some kind of work to put forward in the next week or so.

A letter sealed with a crescent moon entangled with roses in blue wax would arrive to the appropriate address, addressed simply to 'The Chamberlain'.

corina-crysler-moon-divider-3.png

To the Chamberlain Benedict Yates-Varley,

I have heard news of your entourage of intellectuals and the like, word does travel oh so quickly in the city, and must admit it has garnered my interest. I would by no means call myself a poet, but I do dabble (+5 points) in the literary arts due to the nature of my school work. I am a law student who, as it happens, finds joy in the finer things. It would be a delight, and needed distraction from my studies, to have a group to discuss literature and other works.

Included with this letter are a few of my works. I do hope you find them satisfactory and would be honored to join this gathering of like minded individuals.
Best Regards,
Milojica Serdjanson av Ramsau
i look out and see
colors:
black, gray, and a splash
of green.

everything is gray
and black.
like a monochrome,
how bleak.

and never ending,
to boot.
a kind of limbo
for you.

punishment for what?
who knows.
one may name a god,
how rude.

or perhaps a mind
faulty.
but how can we know
the truth

in this pitch black void,
my mind.
lost in the chaos
and woe.

the misery and
the mirth.
that is just out of
my reach.

the hint and the hue,
just one,
a particular,
certain,

viridian green.
so bright
in the dreary light
of life.

one momentary
glimpse at
real happiness,
true hope.

all i can see from
behind
steely gray bars that
you hate.

passion burning quick down to the wick
your candle is out this endless night
leaving you alone in the moonlight
like a lunatic ready to howl
amongst the terrors of your own mind.

you turn and twist yearning for that flick
the spark to bring that flame back to you
and maybe then you won't feel so sick;
cold and dead in the fallout you wrought
with naught but barren thoughts for solace.

and left to rot with your own ashes
surrounded by this testimony
of despair and failure - hope long gone
you beg and pray for what else is left
in this deserved ceremony.

Milojica Serdjanson av Ramsau
Mr. av Ramsau,

I've read over your poetry, and while the visuals seem forced in many regards, I believe you have a talent that can be expanded upon with common practice. I'll happily welcome you in with the rank of "Alum".

Regards,
Benedict Yates-Varley

fV-trezFabt9vcFMcqDWYnmDdRZAOellueh8i7gycJIBmKuP5c6wWfNth5YLn53nTa5Am8hsrEsnjFM8vYUAF3ASf3EknzFEb0hZ-6Smevn30l5GyyzbY_4e2q0-kBfww0GTiXTG

tZGp0Ok7Olvq7L6NQ67fQZcoj7p5fPeqxAt6tnIU1P28Sjwdru9HV_qnwBVXY5KvH85Kj_olhvHoSG1cA2B9hl6StRCeuKEHxdLmbsb7EWB-fXoVIYkStooEglQupqT8-jAdfWV8

To the esteemed Mr. Benedict of House Yates-Varley,
I pray that you receive my letter in due haste and in good health. I write to you today to request entry
into your
wonderful poetry society, as the art of the spoken and written word is something that is oft
neglected here in the Holy City of Lights. I would be more than happy to join as an Alum, and have
forthwith provided a poem I drafted for proof of entry. You will find it attached to this very letter.
Many thanks for your consideration.
As we march along the way,
Sir Dante Tyrannian,
Director of the BIRE,
Protector of Aanval Keep.
tZGp0Ok7Olvq7L6NQ67fQZcoj7p5fPeqxAt6tnIU1P28Sjwdru9HV_qnwBVXY5KvH85Kj_olhvHoSG1cA2B9hl6StRCeuKEHxdLmbsb7EWB-fXoVIYkStooEglQupqT8-jAdfWV8

The Crownguards' Lament
With what remaining men, we launched the ship,
knowing that once more we landed ashore,
that we would not be sailing round trip.

We would be known as the ones who failed forevermore,
our lives forfeit and deemed so by the Crown,
and sentenced to death by our very own Empire.

Not a single town,
to where we sail would enjoy our fervent desire,
they'd simply condemn us to our fate.

Yet while we land in Zasty's isles in the morrow,
and while present our Lords with no hate,
we cannot bear this utter sorrow.

Despite out encompassing sadness,
we all know we would do it all again,
undoubtedly defying the sun-bound madness.

We'd set them alight like a foolish pagan,
but now we set out towards our eternal confinement,
knowing we shall never see the city's beauty once more.

Sir Tyrannian,

I have recieved your letter, and appreciate your applying to our humble society. There is good potential in your works, but I think you and I should work on improving your tempos and schemes. Nevertheless, do join us, of course, I welcome you with open arms, and high hopes.

Regards,
Benedict Yates-Varley

Update

Benedict has been awarded the Aftonhead Boathouse, which is where we will likely host most of our private events. I have updated the main page with instructions on how to get there. Always assume our meeting will be held there, unless stated otherwise!​

Update

Apologies for the wait. The Aftonhead Boathouse is now decorated, and we will host our first get-together this weekend. All members are invited, and are requested, if he or she is one of the three higher ranks, to bring at least one piece of poetry with them for review. This is the first meeting, and therefore, bringing such is not required, but recommended. We will host such on Saturday, November 2nd, at Five PM. The event will likely ended around 6:30 or 7:00, but people are welcome to stay later if we go late.

Event Details
Date: Saturday, November 2nd
Time: 5 PM
Where: Aftonhead Boathouse [Follow map on main post]

Apologies. I ended up having to work late on Saturday and never got home until around 7ish. The event will take place today instead, at around 5 PM EST. Same time, same place.