The Trip

Discussion in 'Player Stories' started by bwmwags3, Mar 15, 2021.

1. bwmwags3

bwmwags3 Refugee

Tizu’s cane tapped along the sand covered sandstone streets as his eyes took in the vibrant city. The streets were alive with people of all color, race, and style as merchants hawking their wares filled the air with their calls. It had been a long voyage but Tizu couldn’t help but notice a hollowness in his demeanor. He was home for a long while for the time in years since leaving the college.

“Doesn’t feel like home anymore,” he concluded to himself with a sigh, “Yet it will always be the place we gained our mastery of the strange.”

The Izu’s salamander features widened into a smile as his years of discovery rushed back to him. Only to be distracted by a sudden grip upon his shoulder. In one smooth motion, he twisted the lantern shaped handle of his cane and drew out his dagger. Whirling around the Izu pressed cold serrated silver against scaled neck.

“Good to see you too Tizu,” laughed the tall Songaskian man smiling down at him.

“Who are you?” he demanded, stepping back as his knife and eyes remained fixed upon the man.

“What?” He frowned, soft green eyes flashing to serpentine purple, “forgotten your sister already?”

A slight smile formed from Tizu’s cold severity as he returned the dagger to his cane.

“Stop your game and perhaps you’ll get a hug,” He offered, locking the handle with a twist.

“Thought you’d like a man more,” she teased, reverting to her usual female shaped Izu form.

“I’ve a preference for anything but men were always more alluring,” He teases, pulling the slizzar into a tight hug, “Now who is the target of your game this time?”

Her lips curled into a small smirk, “Why would there be a game? Can’t I just shift to confuse my brother?”

“You never change form without a game Sizu. Who's your victim this time?”

“A Qadir: needy, cute, decent lover, and quite rich from clockwork inventions ,” she rattled off with proud satisfaction.

The Izu grimaced swapping to Zasta as he continued, “You’re planning to rob him aren’t you?”

“If I was...I could always smash his soul essence qartiles before I left,” she adds, switching to Zasta but keeping her tone sweet and innocent.

He considers and sighs, “Fine, have your game but leave him enough to live on. May the Lantern forgive this decision to protect the rivers,” he prays releasing the hug.

She patted his head, “Speaking of lovers? You found someone yet Tizzy?”

The allar’s salamander-like eyes became rather fixed upon the sand at her question.

“I have met many interesting people in House Vyzal...”

“Ohhh there is someone! tell me, tell me, tell me!!”, she squeals bouncing up and down.

“Too soon to tell,” Tizu answered, waving a dismissive hand, “We can’t all know people’s desires like you, Sizu.”

She pouted, “Sounds like someone hasn’t been having fun. Are you being all business again Tizzy?.”

He laughs, “Perhaps but don’t you go suggesting to come back to regalia to fix that. Having to watch out for Zelda is hard enough but hiding you would be nearly impossible.”

The slizzar scoffs, “I wasn’t gonna suggest that.”

“Mhm, never in our thirty years of knowing each other has your attempts to liven my social life not included yourself.”

She smirked taking out two bottles of her signature Scholar’s Relaxation.

“When did you get so wise to my games,” she laughs, handing him a bottle as she took a swig of hers.

He drinks, “I became wise after falling for them so much but I best be heading to Saran’s. Least you rope me into another game.”

The two hugged before departing as the sun began to set.

The Izu approached a sizable house adorned with shining plaster walls and a beaming gold leaf for a roof. As he entered he was greeted by the sound of running feet.

“Uncle Tizu,” the ten year old Safalar squealed, wrapping tight around his waist.

He smiled hugging back, “Hello Yana where are your Mothers?”

“Getting the couscous ready Tizu. Heard you’re a Lord now well done,” called a tanned Celiothar woman from her post tending the Tagine.

He nods ruffling his niece’s hair as he smiles to the Cielothar.

“No longer am I a mere student. It is great to see you Sofia looking as beautiful as ever,” he says smiling.

“Oh you’ll always be my student Tizu and remember High Priestess of Shambala outranks even regalian nobility here,” called a muscled Songaskian woman as she scooped up Yana.

The young girl’s sandy blond hair flowed as her arms hugged tight to her mother’s neck.

“Good to see my place as a favored student remains, Saran. Thought only your acolytes got first names,” he replied smiling to the Songaskian.

The woman looked about fifty but the wisdom of her eyes indicated an age far beyond that. She wore the usual form fitting attire of her people as her pure white hair draped down across exposed shoulders.

The Songaskin’s eyes crackled with soft spectral fire as she replied,“Well a Lord title is at least worth a first name and you know my motto regarding names.”

“A name is a privilege earned by achievement not by right,” he recites with a proud smile, “I’ll never forget that.”

She hugged the Izu before gesturing him in. Tizu followed her in taking a seat at the dining room table beside Yana. He rested his cane against the carved wood table as Yana recounted all he had missed. The candle within Tizu’s handle seemed to glow brighter when Saran took her place at the table. Sofia soon joined them and the feast began passing after several blissful hours of talk, laughter, and food. After the last deserts were devoured Tizu turned to Saran.

“Teacher...I need your counsel on something.”

She nodded her smile turning more serious at the request. She led him into the house's courtyard turning to face the Tizu as the door shut behind them.

“I have heard a cult of necromancers resides in Regalia...led by a Soul Bound mage,” he relayed before bracing himself against his cane.

Saran’s happy demeanor shifted, in seconds, her hair turned to roaring blue blaze as ghostly dragon scales appeared all across her body.

“Necromantic blasphemers have been allowed within the Emperor’s supposed holy city,”she growled rage building within her.

No movement was needed but anger to cause the sands around the mage to become a vicious whirlwind. Izu immediately shut his eyes as the grains of slashing sand began stinging his body. Saran’s eyes went from gentle flames to righteous beacons of Verdant Fire. The garbled death script along Tizu’s lantern erupted into life as his candle’s flame became an animalistic blaze. The ghostly fire fought to shatter the Allar made glass containing it as the Mage’s rage grew.

“Saran! The Nobles are ignorant they know nothing of the Bintaar. I must warn them of the danger the necromancers pose but I can’t do that unless you calm,” he pleads.

Suddenly the storm ended as the fires dimmed as Saran suddenly shifted to a total calm. She was silent for a long time until suddenly looking to Tizu’s lantern.

“Thank You,” the mage said towards the lantern flame.

“Did...did they take over Teacher? Did the Peace Giver take control,” Tizu inquires voice feverish with excitement.

“They took control to calm me...if you desire to question them I'd advise against it. The Lantern’s work is never done,” Saran breathes, “Besides you already know your duty Tizu.”

He nods bowing, “I will bring peace to the city by Lantern’s Flame, Solemn Blade, Holy Prayer, or Counseling Words. The dead must have peace in death not in false life,” he says in solemn benediction.

The songaskian nods tapping the allar’s head. The touch of her hand caused gentle anointing flames to dance across the Izu’s body.

“Shambala and the Black Dragon’s descendants are above all things, but I know what the Lantern means to you Tizzy. Know they deem you worthy and beg you to preserve by maintaining that worth with action. May my Soul Bound to the Lantern’s light give you the Lantern’s Peace,” she prays in elegant soffal.

“I am a light within darkness, I am a Child of the Lantern,” he answers in solemn Soffal, “I serve Death in this but the Dragons of Life to allow my acts so the cycle is maintained.”

The Allar arose and embraced his teacher before the two parted for the night with solemn prayers.

The Allar would awaken the next day to a letter from the city.

“You are cordially informed of the Courtship of Duke Slumberwood and Digmaan Vyzal,” the allar read aloud eyes widening.

He remembered that duke from the ball whose looks had been good, as most noble men were, but he hadn’t assumed the two close. Then again he was new perhaps the two were closer than he thought.

“The Duke of Rumvalia hmm, oh his archives will be quite a treasure,” the Izu toasts, “The possibilities such a mysterious and darkened land holds. Perhaps I can assist the good Duke with his unruly sanguine population. Bring them into order like in the Masaya.”

The Allar relaxed back considering perhaps Sizu was right he did need a break.

The Allar would spend the rest of his time with his niece, sister, and relaxing on Hadarian beaches and libraries.

• Powerful Powerful x 1