The Silver Serpent

Discussion in 'Player Stories' started by FatDumplingGrace, Sep 23, 2022.

1. FatDumplingGrace

FatDumplingGrace Refugee

I am the Jester, my job's to entertain,
    And it seems that soon enough it too will be my job to reign.
    Over all that you see, over all that you know
    As the king is slowly dying, any moment he could go.
    Yes the king is slowly dying, any moment he will go

Yala stood in the center of an enormous palace, a number of huge branches of columns reaching up high into the ceiling. In front of her mirrors spun, rotating slowly and steadily, each reflecting off their own light, which spilt into a chrism of rainbow colors. Reds, blues, greens, violets, yellow, purple, and black all spun around her, like a ballet dancer. Yala could only admire and stare, as the lights themselves didn't shine too brightly nor too darkly.

Oh! Sweet memories, come rushing back to me,
    As I trace my fingers on these haggard walls within your keep
    Though my exile still stands, I heard my duty call to me.
    Because I am the Court Jester, I've grown tired of my sleep,
    After all, I am the jester, and I've tired of my sleep

The mirrors suddenly began to spin faster and faster, spinning almost like a panicked man running from his own doom. She lifted her good arm to see what she dreaded the most, the familiar swish of a purple cape, the heavy footsteps, and a bastard sword lifted over his shoulder. Varis. She felt the familiar dread creep in her throat, she almost turned to run, her breath running haggard in her chest, but knew it would be useless. If he was here - there would be no running. She didn't know how big this building was, he could simply run her into a corner, or worse, if the building was too big, he could simply tire her down.

What good is a crown if the brow it sits on is that of a dead man?
    I'll wear my cap and painted smile with pride, my trusty baton in my hand
    And you will see me, sire, I'll make my way back to you,
    You cannot stop me sire, your time is up, I see right through you

She ran to meet him, the bastard sword swung toward his shoulder, Yala had summoned a rapier in her hand, she swung her rapier left and upwards to meet his blow, which he deflected, sparks flew as the steel grated off steel, and the connection made her gasp and almost drop her weapon. Not a chance. This wouldn't be like last time. As his sword was still up in the air, he swung downwards, which again she deflected. She went into a guard position, while he had his sword to his left side. He swung again, upwards this time, to which she raised and deflected. While he had his sword raised, she made a risky maneuver, she scrapped the sword down the side of his and caught his left arm. He let out a cry of rage.

With a newfound memory after rest,
    I felt something bubbling in my chest.
    Soon I felt myself losing control,
    Peals of laughter rang into the distance from my soul

She moved to his old position, pointing the sword at him as he staggered backwards. She began to circle him, still with her rapier pointed straight. He swung again, and again, each time she met his swings. Again he swung, but made a fatal mistake. She drove her rapier down to slice at his chest, rainbow blood splashed at her clothes. He let out another howl of rage, and pain.

Oh this world that I left you in,
    Has been tainted by your sin.
    And as such I have now taken it upon myself,
    To reinstate the reign of laughter and in health I will return

Finally their crossgaurds met, while pivoted, she kicked at his chest, sending him sprawling to the ground. She stood, almost breathless, but triumphant, sword pointing at his neck.

Soon you will see! the world will turn upon its head!
    Just you hope that you can see it 'fore you're dead!
    Foolish king, you sit in empty meaning on your throne,
    But in my time away you've ended up alone
    !

The mirrors had stopped spinning as rapidly, as Varis's visage faded away into nothing. Breath calming, she looked around at the silent mirrors, like they could offer her an answer. All she got in reply was the stare of the Silver Dragon, with scales as white as snow. Without a word, the massive beast that towered above shimmered like a star, fading away into nothingness.

Oh, all the power in the world could never save you now.
    As the time at which your curtain's called draws nearer, get ready to take your bow
    The age of reason is now drawing to a close!
    And now I, the mere Court Jester, will his majesty depose,
    I will tip the gilded throne, in me the people will repose.
    Because I am the Court Jester, not all thorns come with a rose
    After all, I am the jester, and this future I propose:
    Let the fool, let me, the jester, bring the olden tales to close,
    Let the fool, let me, the jester, a new saga now compose

• Winner Winner x 2