The March For Bread

Discussion in 'Player Events' started by Luxus07, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Luxus07

Luxus07 Draconic Mercenary

Ambience:

TL/DR beneath the wall of text, along with event details.

[​IMG]

It was upcoming new years celebration in Regalia, with many fireworks prepared and the various high street establishments packing themselves ready for a night of reveling. Much different to the Crown Isle hinterlands, where common folk went about with their lives as usual. All except one, a middle-aged, graying man with the name Otto who was struggling to haggle for his daily bread at the market of Leverkusen.

"Two regals and a quarter-coin?" He asked, taken aback when his (former) friend refused the trade. "Wintertide is here Otto." The merchant replied. "Spring is still months away and all this talk about war! The north ... the south. It makes me fear I'll run out of business."

"You can't just raise your prices forever!" Otto retorted, now anger seeping to his eyes. "It was a regal durin' the pumpkin festival, two regals when the first snow fell and now you are trying to make it three!"

In the end, Otto left the village marketplace breadless and with fuming anger. Now because he could not have flicked an additional coin or quarter of it to the merchant, no. He was fuming, because he was aged, experienced and knowledgeable enough to count in his head. He knew a regal a day is something his family could only afford if they ran their lumber all night long. Though even there, he was told the other week to seek another merchant for his wood; the closing of the shipyards has hindered his age-old family business.

"Since my great-great-great-grandfather's time we've been here on this Island, Margarethe." He spoke to his wife in lament, who was preparing the family an evening meal of beet and potato soup, now to be eaten without bread. "We saw that bloody city rise and grow. They don't care about us anymore! Not about the simple man. Them, huddled up in their coal-warmed, silk-cushioned estates."

The thought remained with Otto overnight. He woke up to the last day of the year with anger still burning in his eyes. And so he spoke to his lumberjacks. So he spoke to the beet-lady. The florist girl. The thatcher woman who was still busy fixing the roof over his family's head. And they spoke to their farmer friends, to their villagefolk.

By the end of the day, the whole village was buzzing like a beehive. That was when the merchant arrived again, and plucked out his sign of "three regal for a pound of bread". And that was also when pent-up anger reached its zenith, and when the villagers grabbed pitchforks, hammers, torches and scythes to chase away the merchant, who forced his horses into a gallop as he left to retreat into Regalia, leaving behind his cart of goods.

Tasting the victory, Otto took to the merchant's boxes and addressed the villagefolk, calling them to hold onto their improvised, makeshift weapons and to begin a march to Regalia. To demand an end to austerity, to demand a stop on greedy merchants raising their bread prices, and to demand a living for all the simple folk of the Island so that they may see the next summer.

I saw in roleplay discord a lot of people saying commoners should riot or protest about the government's fall, the financial crisis and the possible worthlessness of the regal as the state is in enormous debt. If you want to contribute, you are cordially invited to a peasant protest in Regalia. Equip a peasant skin, maybe get a massivebound pitchfork or scythe, a pair of torches, and meet up on Friday. Will it get bloody? Maybe. Will we be slaughtered? Maybe. But it'll still be fun I hope!

Time: 3rd of January, 11pm GMT / 6pm EST
    Invited: everyone who wants to participate in a peasant protest! or anyone who wants to put down one.

Click here if you need a peasant skin and just choose one. Even better if some of us are using the same (we're all brothers and sisters in trouble after all). Of course, skin contributions are welcome on this thread if any skinner dude or dudette is willing to make some peasants.

I ask those attending as peasants to not troll the event. If the Regalian state is willing to compromise, then we'll be happy peasants and we'll throw a street festival! Same location.

• Powerful Powerful x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #1 Luxus07, Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  2. Aurelian30k

Aurelian30k The Fashion Knight

3. Luxus07

Luxus07 Draconic Mercenary

4. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

Looks kinda tone-deaf to me.