The Man, The Boy, And The Dragon

a9c9f4cc1112e52dde937486fd519b64.jpg

The Holzkirche Estate during a nighttime snowfall

4ZW4pso.png

The hooves of the three man retinue echoed through the western woods that night, galloping through the winding trails of the Crown Isle's wilderness. Over hill and bridge, and through small villages the trio rode, until they reached their destination.

Their leader dismounted as the squire ran up to take the reigns of the steed, the other two still mounted. The man proceded into the left door of the estate, and looked up to the see the familiar armor sets lining the walls. Though they were not the ones he was was seeking.

Up the steps he went, passing through the library where the children were reading and enjoying their evening. And still up again he went, to the highest level of the estate. Moving along the narrow corridor, he opened the door to his chambers and went it.

There he took one final look at the room he had slept in for many months. Directly ahead was his chair facing the window where he wrote every order, with some drafts laying over the surface. To his left was a table where he confided may secrets to his most trusted friends and advisers, with a half drunken beer from the night before still atop. To his right, his bed, with a new viridian cape lying atop it to replace his tattered one from yesterday. Despite never have been a knight himself, he found the symbolism of the color to be reflective of his current convictions. And so he went in further, signaling the guard at the door to enter.

4ZW4pso.png

And then he left, across the narrow hall, down the steps to the library, where his daughter was reading. As he walked over, he made inquiry:

"My dearest, where is my son this evening?"
"He is in the courtyard with Wolfram sparring. Is something the matter?"
"No my sweet child, nothing to worry about. Which book are you reading there?"

"Oh, just the letters you sent mother during the war. I've been meaning to ask, how often do you write to her nowadays? What with your commission and work in the city?"

The man moved his gloved hand over to his daughters shoulder, giving it a pat before he moved on.

"Every day."

4ZW4pso.png

And so he made his way to the courtyard, where the clashing of steel was echoing off of the lake. As he approached, one of the opponents yielded, offering a knee to the man approaching. The other turned around, removing his helmet revealing his face, almost identical to the elder in front of him.

"Something you wanted to talk about?"
"Yes, could you set your helmet down and come with me out front?"
"Sure, I'll be there shortly."

And so back to the front of the estate they went, with the three horses still standing there, with the two retainers on either side. moving in front of the gather, the father and son faced each other as the senior spoke:

"Tonight I ride to what may be my last fight. I know not if I shall prevail, or to never return to these halls. I know that if I asked you would come with me, and even if I did not you would insist. But tonight, I ask you to remain here, to be with your siblings and cousins, while I ride out. If I do not return, I want you to enter my chambers and read the second letter in my unfinished pile. Do you understand what I ask of you?"
"That I do, by my honor I will remain here, as you wish."
"You have grown to be one whom I can consider my equal. For that I am a proud father. Now if you would do one last thing for me..."
"Anything."

With that the father took his son's hands, and cupping them together he placed something inside of it. And after doing such he closed them tightly as he gave one pat on his child's shoulders, before he turned and went to his horse, speaking one command as he did so:

"Use it proudly when the time is right."

Mounting up, his longest serving guard came up with a familiar banner. And after taking it in his left hand, he reared his horse, signaling his two man retinue to depart with him. And down the road they galloped, the two men singing an ancient tune in their native tongue. And just as sudden a the trio came, so too they disappeared into the woods and snow once more.

4ZW4pso.png

And there the son stood with his sparring partner once more, watching the three men ride off. The elder of them spoke to say he would be out back once more, before laving the young man alone in front of the estate.

Now alone, the son looked to the moon hiding between the clouds as the snow rained down, speaking a quiet prayer before looking to his closed hands. Finally looking down at them he opened them up, revealing something of unfathomable worth.

A silver ring. Bearing the head of a dragon, with a pair of emerald eyes.​

a9c9f4cc1112e52dde937486fd519b64.jpg

The Holzkirche Estate during a nighttime snowfall

4ZW4pso.png

The hooves of the three man retinue echoed through the western woods that night, galloping through the winding trails of the Crown Isle's wilderness. Over hill and bridge, and through small villages the trio rode, until they reached their destination.

Their leader dismounted as the squire ran up to take the reigns of the steed, the other two still mounted. The man proceded into the left door of the estate, and looked up to the see the familiar armor sets lining the walls. Though they were not the ones he was was seeking.

Up the steps he went, passing through the library where the children were reading and enjoying their evening. And still up again he went, to the highest level of the estate. Moving along the narrow corridor, he opened the door to his chambers and went it.

There he took one final look at the room he had slept in for many months. Directly ahead was his chair facing the window where he wrote every order, with some drafts laying over the surface. To his left was a table where he confided may secrets to his most trusted friends and advisers, with a half drunken beer from the night before still atop. To his right, his bed, with a new viridian cape lying atop it to replace his tattered one from yesterday. Despite never have been a knight himself, he found the symbolism of the color to be reflective of his current convictions. And so he went in further, signaling the guard at the door to enter.

4ZW4pso.png

And then he left, across the narrow hall, down the steps to the library, where his daughter was reading. As he walked over, he made inquiry:

"My dearest, where is my son this evening?"
"He is in the courtyard with Wolfram sparring. Is something the matter?"
"No my sweet child, nothing to worry about. Which book are you reading there?"

"Oh, just the letters you sent mother during the war. I've been meaning to ask, how often do you write to her nowadays? What with your commission and work in the city?"

The man moved his gloved hand over to his daughters shoulder, giving it a pat before he moved on.

"Every day."

4ZW4pso.png

And so he made his way to the courtyard, where the clashing of steel was echoing off of the lake. As he approached, one of the opponents yielded, offering a knee to the man approaching. The other turned around, removing his helmet revealing his face, almost identical to the elder in front of him.

"Something you wanted to talk about?"
"Yes, could you set your helmet down and come with me out front?"
"Sure, I'll be there shortly."

And so back to the front of the estate they went, with the three horses still standing there, with the two retainers on either side. moving in front of the gather, the father and son faced each other as the senior spoke:

"Tonight I ride to what may be my last fight. I know not if I shall prevail, or to never return to these halls. I know that if I asked you would come with me, and even if I did not you would insist. But tonight, I ask you to remain here, to be with your siblings and cousins, while I ride out. If I do not return, I want you to enter my chambers and read the second letter in my unfinished pile. Do you understand what I ask of you?"
"That I do, by my honor I will remain here, as you wish."
"You have grown to be one whom I can consider my equal. For that I am a proud father. Now if you would do one last thing for me..."
"Anything."

With that the father took his son's hands, and cupping them together he placed something inside of it. And after doing such he closed them tightly as he gave one pat on his child's shoulders, before he turned and went to his horse, speaking one command as he did so:

"Use it proudly when the time is right."

Mounting up, his longest serving guard came up with a familiar banner. And after taking it in his left hand, he reared his horse, signaling his two man retinue to depart with him. And down the road they galloped, the two men singing an ancient tune in their native tongue. And just as sudden a the trio came, so too they disappeared into the woods and snow once more.

4ZW4pso.png

And there the son stood with his sparring partner once more, watching the three men ride off. The elder of them spoke to say he would be out back once more, before laving the young man alone in front of the estate.

Now alone, the son looked to the moon hiding between the clouds as the snow rained down, speaking a quiet prayer before looking to his closed hands. Finally looking down at them he opened them up, revealing something of unfathomable worth.

A silver ring. Bearing the head of a dragon, with a pair of emerald eyes.​