The Lord Chancellor's Report On The Zemlith Affair 7/9/308

Discussion in 'Regalian Roleplay' started by FireFan96, Jul 10, 2020.

1. FireFan96

FireFan96 Ever present, Ever seeing Staff Member Lore2

[​IMG]
    FROM THE DESK OF HIS HIGH EMINENCE
    THE LORD CHANCELLOR OF THE REGALIAN EMPIRE
    A SUMMARY REPORT OF THE ACTIONS IN ZEMLITH AND THE CLIFFTON FORTS
    AND
    A JUDGEMENT ON SAID FINDINGS
    On the First of this Month, I sent a letter to his Lordship the Baron of Lanthal. Taking note of my diplomatic mission's findings on the Cliffton Forts, I instructed his Lordship to inform Mr. Isidoro Playero that his service to the State was being called upon. My orders for Mr. Playero were as follows:
    • Repair the damage done to the Cliffton Forts
    • Provide the necessary supplies for repairs, as well as staving off the famine of the Zemlith locals.
    I further suggested that as guardians of Mr. Playero, House Kreiburg should provide the logistics for this mission, though not before I also noted that a stipend from the Finance Minister would be an viable alternative.

That evening, Mr. Playero made a public post in presenting his mission to the public, in an attempt to gather support from the city. Furthermore, one Mr. Osira Lae'rinsyr made an additional post on the Third of the Month, seeking donations from the Nobility to fund the reconstruction efforts. Later that day, Mr. Playero succeeded in negotiating a loan from His Excellency the Finance Reichsrat Minister for 20,000 Regals.

I had departed the city a day or so before the Zemlith Mission also departed to the abandoned fort, whereupon my arrival, the Imperial Court contacted my office in regards to the declaration of sovereignty of the Zemlith area. As presented above, my office never ordered the annexation of foreign lands of an Imperial client state, which prompted the Court to call for the arrest of all parties involved.

[​IMG]
    Over the last three days, I have investigated what I shall refer to as the Zemlith Affair going forwards in this report. Each individual bar one wanted for treason were questioned by me personally, and from their testimonies, the following sequence of events is believed to have transpired leading up to and including the failed mission.

During a political discussion in regards to the Genevaud Cantons, his Lordship Langthal presented my Letter of Instruction to Mr Playero. After an exchange of dialogue between members of the House Kreiburg and Mr. Playero, who allegedly expressed minor discontent either over the letter or the aforementioned dialogue, he accepted his mission, and made preparations to gather manpower and resources for the mission.

After obtaining the necessary logistics, and before departure, Mr. Playero organized a second meeting to present the goals of the mission. During this mission, he confirmed my request for him to go to Zemlith, and that there was an additional aid mission. Following this mission, the party embarked on their mission.

[​IMG]
    What follows next is a modified report of the events of Zemlith, with testimonies added in to provide the actions of several of the suspects.

Upon landing in Zemlith, Mr. Playero declared sovereignty under House Playero, which culminated in the Kingdoms of Zemlith and Yervonth pushing back the 2,000 man retinue under the oversight of Dame Anika Kreirburg to the Cliffton Forts. Of the rations provided, 14 fish were gathered by three individuals, their numbers including one Mrs. Ingrid Lagerkvist and one Mr. Gerralt Gem. Sir William Arnyn protests the current actions, and is promptly rejected from the forts back to Regalia proper. Following the aftermath of this affair, the Imperial Court after conferring with the Chancellery ordered the arrest of all parties involved, to be imprisoned in the Krakenburg Prison for investigation.

[​IMG]
    During my investigation, it became clear that many of the individuals involved with the Zemlith Affair were found innocent of blame, unaware of the annexation declaration during the preliminary meetings. As such, these individuals were released following the first day of report gathering. After questioning Mr. Playero and his Lordship Langthal, I came to the conclusion that Mr. Playero took this annexation initiative of his own accord, without conferring with his guardian or the Chancellery. After confessing that he had overstepped his orders, Mr. Playero was returned to his cell, and the remaining suspects were questioned and released as deemed necessary.
    [​IMG]
    What follows is the verdict of all parties involved in the Zemlith Affair:

Of the members of House Kreiburg:

• His Lordship the Baron of Langthal was found ignorant of the actions of his ward. However, as the legal guardian of Mr. Playero and as the head of House Kreiburg, his Lordship shall take full responsibility of Mr. Playero's actions.
    • Dame Anika Kreiburg, while the sole House representative on the Zemlith Mission and ensurer of the levy loyalty, is also found ignorant of the annexation attempt. While I express personal concern over a member of the nobility acting in a subservient role to one of common birth, especially one who is the ward of one's own house, the Dame's role was not made with treasonous intent. However, due to her position as the commander of the military presence on the Isle, the Dame was kept in the noble cells of Greygate Prison until the presentation of this report.
    • All other members of House Kreiburg were found to be fully ignorant of the mission details, or even that such a mission was to be conducted in the first place. They were released shortly after the report became more concrete, and have returned to their estate since cleared of all charges.
    Of the members of House Playero:
    • Mr. Isidoro Playero by his confession is found GUILTY of all changes against him. By his virtue of a ward to House Kreiburg, his actions are the responsibility of House Kreiburg, which shall be judged in his stead.
    • All other Members of House Kreiburg were found ignorant when questioned, or were of the same status as other family members of House Kreiburg. As such, they have been found cleared of all charges and released.
    Of the other suspects:
    • Sandro Drakoz is found innocent and cleared of all charges, his only motives being to help the people of Zemlith.
    • Ingrid Lagerkvist is found innocent and cleared of all charges, her only motives were to help and possibly bring a few flowers home for her child.
    • Galelijn de Pierre is found innocent and cleared of all charges, serving only as the captain of the ship.
    • Osira Lae'rinsyr is found innocent and cleared of all charges, his only motive being to 'fight the Void due to a belief in the Exist,' and having the additional duty of attempting to secure logistical support for the mission.
    • Azrhael Gomorrha is found innocent and cleared of all charges, his only motive being to preach the Unionist message and indicate that an Aberrant is able to serve the State.
    • Gerralt Gem is found innocent and cleared of all charges, his only motive being to catch fish.
    • Jack Velcantine is found innocent and cleared of all charges, his own motive being to go for an adventure.
    • Darian Ralokan has failed to present themselves for questioning, and remains wanted by the Regalian State to determine his part in the Zemlith Affair.
    [​IMG]
    Per the wishes of His Imperial Holiness, I as Lord Chancellor was granted the full prerogative to investigate and judge these individuals. Unlike in the Trial Regalian State v. Hengest Harhold (308), the burden of this decision rests solely on me, and it is my own burden to bear in delivering out the punishment for the guilty verdict rendered to Mr. Playero. As has been custom in the Regalian Judiciary, past cases are often cited as a precedent to future considerations, a custom I have chosen to maintain in my own judgement. In recent times, we have bore witness to several actions of, and attempts of, treasonous intentions against the State and Crown. We have further been blessed by an Imperial Communique on one of these cases, which has provided further guidance. With the justification of my decision made, I now deliver the required punishments:

On the charges of:

1. Treason against the Emperor's Sovereign Authority
    2. Treason by annexing land of a Sovereign Federal Subject
    3. Treason by attacking an Imperial Protected Kingdom
    The following punishment is to be rendered on House Kreiburg as Wards of Mr Playero:
    • House Kreiburg is to pay an additional 20% punitive tax, to be paid indefinitely until the Noble Assembly votes to repeal it by a majority of fifty percent of the total votes plus one, or by the Lord Chancellor.
    • House Kreiburg relinquishes any and all claims to the Cliffton Forts and Zemlith lands.
    • All Kreiburg forces are to vacate the Cliffton Forts and Zemlith lands immediately.
    • House Kreiburg shall inherit the 50,000 upkeep debt of the Cliffton Forts, to be repaid be Autumn of 308. Said funds shall be allocated to the Zemlith and Yervonth States as reparations for this Affair.
    • The Lord Chancellor formally requests that the Crown consider revoking House Kreiburg's blue-blooded status as nobility, citing a lack of past contributions to the Empire such as in the case with the Baron of Vlissinghelm, and as appropriate punishment for failing to curb their Ward's treasonous actions.
    Furthermore, the following punishment is to be rendered on Mr. Isidoro Playero:
    • The current loan of 20,000 Regals from the State is to be repaid within two fortnights, rather than at Mr. Playero's own pace.
    • House Playero relinquishes any and all claims to the Cliffton Forts and Zemlith lands.
    • Mr. Isidoro Playero has had his Civil Status lowered to None Civil Status.
    [​IMG]
    In consideration of Mr. Playero's punishment, the use of execution was heavily considered. With three counts of treason levied against him, it would seem rational and logical to simply issue the order and allow swift justice to be had. Yet in my questioning, I concluded that while Mr. Playero did indeed commit these crimes, he did so under an assumption that he would maintain the Forts until the Regalian State appointed a more formal military garrison. Such was not the intentions of the Chancellery, and in his incompetence Mr. Playero committed these treasonous acts.

It was with this understanding that I recalled my own service in the Regalian Military in recent years. In particular, I remember a court martial in which we charged former officer with gross negligence in the line of duty, which cost the lives of 12 Regalian Soldiers. He was sentenced to five years in a mining camp, stripped of all military honors, and barred from future service, though the tribunal I presided on stopped short of an execution. This officer was spared the hangman's noose, and instead continued to live as a servant to the State.

In this same light, Mr. Playero's service to the Regalian State has not been repaid. Rather, his inability to fulfill a simple request shows that he has much to contribute before his time is up. Rather than remove him from Aloria to be reborn as a Lesser Race, he shall instead have the rights of the Lessers here and now, guided by his guardians in House Kreiburg until he breathes his final breath.

I therefore make this final statement to Mr. Playero: you have been spared the hangman's noose just as that ex-officer. However, do not for a moment mistake my show of clemency for weakness, for there will be no further mercy granted if ever you betray the State or Crown again.

THIS CONCLUDES THE REPORT OF THE ZEMLITH AFFAIR
    [​IMG]
    With Justice rendered on all responsible parties, I publicly express my intention to speak with the Foreign Reichsrat Minister tomorrow afternoon to arrange a formal State mission to the Zemlith and Yervonth lands, to ensure all hostilities are ceased and all parties return to their pre-Affair arrangements.

SIGNED AND STAMPED
    His High Eminence Dietrich I by the Grace of the Spirit
    Lord Chancellor of the Regalian Empire
    March-Elector of the Drachenwald Lordship
    [​IMG]
    TL;DR:
    -Krieburg pays a 20% punitive tax, leaves Zemlith and relinquishes any claims, owes 50k to the State, and a request of stripping noble titles
    -Playero's 20k loan is to be paid within 4 weeks, relinquishes any and all claims to Zemlith, and is now None Civil Status
    -No further punishments for the above two
    -Darian Ralokan remains wanted by the State for failing to show within the investigation time

• Powerful x 23
    • Winner x 12
    • Immersive x 2
    • Educated x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. StFeuillien

StFeuillien Oh captain, my captain

"The jacobins strike again and once more they've gotten off easily. Spirit save the realm!", the forgettable Pileran said.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HeyitsNano

HeyitsNano The Messiah

"Just one big cabal act for a man who wants to usurp Genevaud," mutters Alaric Keen to a few others.

• Powerful Powerful x 1
  4. minecraftsman03

minecraftsman03 Matt_DayMan

"At least we don't have to go back to Krakenburg for the foreseeable future." the weary guard slowly sighs.

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1
  5. Anseran

Anseran Ifrit Enthusiast

"Woah. Isidoro has the rights of most Slizzar now," he observed, looking to Susan Burch @Sozzer

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. BeetrootSalad

BeetrootSalad the gremlin Supremium

“Fourteen bloody hours, four days straight. I feel... Pretty good, actually.” A not-so-weary workaholic retorted, before heading off to go file papers.

... For fun.

• Powerful Powerful x 4
    • Immersive Immersive x 1
  7. MrNoot1

MrNoot1 Let there be Noot

Maikel Grey, once a Playero, sighed at the report, believing in some type of redemption for his cousin. However, he had begun to speak aloud and to himself. "Cousin.. why did you do this? You held simple orders. Yet, you decided something else along the side. Why? Spirit.. please help me and my old family during these dark times."

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1