The Ledger Of A Practical Physician

!!!!!The Curious Case Of The Vilitatei's Humors
!!!!!!!!Taken From The Ledger Of A Practical Physician

Pages 1-3

!!!!Some documents put together to help make clear the events of the past week, and clarify them as best as I could manage. The average daily ordeal was taking up my time, if I do recall so correctly, before I was met with a barrage of interesting scenario. Singularly, they were nothing farther from normal. It was when one took the individual happenings as a singular set of interconnected events that they would begin to see them as I had begun. They were all odd events, even separate. I would say.
!!!!A bit of a preface before the proper beginnings take place. For some time I've operated a small shop out of a home in one of the less visited streets of our grand Holy City, partaking in proper medicine without the use of Light Magic or some heretical form of magically charged Alchemy as others may have taken a liking to. Traditional medicine was where one would find the most simple and obvious victories for medicine. The location of my own shop made business interesting, as the back-streets are often home to the most unkindly and disreputable folk that so often wish to avoid the eyes of one of the larger charters. Of course then, they seek out a Humorist like myself, in hopes that I'll mend their physical wounds. Other situations are simpler, such as exposing someone experiencing Melancholic symptoms to the proper vapors as to correct their affliction. My own set of herbs and remedies are grown and tended to closely by my half-sister, a Yanar with a rather floral disposition and a habit for some sort of quiet and heretical works between the law. That is where my own usual happenstance ends.
!!!!I'd just returned from my sister's home with a few baskets of herbs in hand, to find my shop door left slightly ajar. The windows all still had the blinds drawn shut as to avoid any of the materials in my shop from catching the eye of some sneakthief, or being tainted by such prolonged and direct moonlight and sunlight. I entered, drawing my self defense in the form of a noblesse rapier I'd invested in some weeks before. My better judgement suggested I set down my shipments, but I pushed against said thought and entered anyhow. All seemed normal, save for the candles I'd snuffed the night before being relit and adjusted in some unsightly way that drove me a tad mad. My first few steps to enter were uneventful, and I found the counter easy enough. I took note that some of the vials of blood I'd left out overnight had properly separated to display the various humors found in the body. I took notice of the Black Bile of a man that'd come to me claiming depression, before promptly being startled with footsteps.
!!!!The man that approached made hushed sounds of worry, before making his name known. Harvey had taken a few steps of his own to enter the building before sunrise, before I had even found my own way to the building. I hadn't slept there in several days, due to some ill family coming in and getting treatment. The building needed proper time to do away with the vile vapors that surely followed the small family unit as they explored the shop.
!!!!He was dressed in a rather obscure manner, with a long scarf and a cloak over his shoulders to effectively hide a lot of his body. Underneath a mask, there were thick and bloodied bandages. Most of his left hand had been lost to some foreign infection and the leprosy. I calmed upon seeing his state of being was far too critical in terms of condition for him to serve as any proper threat. Questioning was quick, we exchanged names and titles, and he projected his ailment with a rather gruesome verbal description, starting with when his family had fallen ill, then he. His claim was that he alone had survived some monstrous rampage by a stranger. My condolences were brief, as I'd not known any of them, before I brought the point of regals to light. He said he knew not of where he had any or where he could find any, but that he was more than willing to aid me in ascertaining the location of some brigand that he had watched enter my shop, enter the back, then fade off into the night. My initial reaction was that of reason: To call heresy on this leper stranger and demand what had been stolen. His insistence that he was innocent left me with the gentle weight at guilt, given that I'd yelled with the utmost anger at the stranger.
!!!!From there I grabbed a candle from my counter and entered the back of the shop, where I kept the valuables and my bed. Opium produced a vapor I'd become quite familiar with, and my last strong batch was set out and ready for me to begin smoking.
!!!!That, however, is where my surprise truly took wing. The thieves had not stolen my opium, which had become rare and difficult to find since the false empress had taken control. I was the luckiest man on the street, if one measured luck in opium, as I did.
!!!!In reality, the object that was stolen was more important. On my wall I had a hook, with a key ring on it. The key ring itself was nearly useless without the proper knowledge, but if one were to realize that I had several books spelling out the first word in a two word phrase. With the first word, one must only have a simple understanding of where things are. I remember clearly moving swiftly while the Leper held his breath, expecting me to do something miraculous as if I was some sort of mage. I checked the books, three books with green leather covers. Two books with two word names, and one with a one word name. The first letters of each word spelled U-N-D-E-R. Under. I knew the location that the thing was under of course, but I hoped simply that the thief did not. I slipped under a rather expensive chair, that I'd invested heavily in, to find my head striking the metal of a safe door. My obscenities went on over the course of several minutes, upon the realization that the container had been tampered with. I remember very, very clearly the words of the leper, as they thoroughly shewed the man's place of origin.
!!!!"I seem to have lost my way, good sir," Were his words. What a simple man. It was nearly pitiful when I went on to explain the situation and the threat that our robber must pose, considering the actual details of the room, and he simply nodded his head and asked me to say it once more. Regretfully, I remember waving him off. I regret not taking all my opportunities to befriend him, as he may have stood a better chance when the next day came.

Last edited:
!!!!!The Curious Case Of The Vilitatei's Humors
!!!!!!!!Taken From The Ledger Of A Practical Physician

Pages 1-3

!!!!Some documents put together to help make clear the events of the past week, and clarify them as best as I could manage. The average daily ordeal was taking up my time, if I do recall so correctly, before I was met with a barrage of interesting scenario. Singularly, they were nothing farther from normal. It was when one took the individual happenings as a singular set of interconnected events that they would begin to see them as I had begun. They were all odd events, even separate. I would say.
!!!!A bit of a preface before the proper beginnings take place. For some time I've operated a small shop out of a home in one of the less visited streets of our grand Holy City, partaking in proper medicine without the use of Light Magic or some heretical form of magically charged Alchemy as others may have taken a liking to. Traditional medicine was where one would find the most simple and obvious victories for medicine. The location of my own shop made business interesting, as the back-streets are often home to the most unkindly and disreputable folk that so often wish to avoid the eyes of one of the larger charters. Of course then, they seek out a Humorist like myself, in hopes that I'll mend their physical wounds. Other situations are simpler, such as exposing someone experiencing Melancholic symptoms to the proper vapors as to correct their affliction. My own set of herbs and remedies are grown and tended to closely by my half-sister, a Yanar with a rather floral disposition and a habit for some sort of quiet and heretical works between the law. That is where my own usual happenstance ends.
!!!!I'd just returned from my sister's home with a few baskets of herbs in hand, to find my shop door left slightly ajar. The windows all still had the blinds drawn shut as to avoid any of the materials in my shop from catching the eye of some sneakthief, or being tainted by such prolonged and direct moonlight and sunlight. I entered, drawing my self defense in the form of a noblesse rapier I'd invested in some weeks before. My better judgement suggested I set down my shipments, but I pushed against said thought and entered anyhow. All seemed normal, save for the candles I'd snuffed the night before being relit and adjusted in some unsightly way that drove me a tad mad. My first few steps to enter were uneventful, and I found the counter easy enough. I took note that some of the vials of blood I'd left out overnight had properly separated to display the various humors found in the body. I took notice of the Black Bile of a man that'd come to me claiming depression, before promptly being startled with footsteps.
!!!!The man that approached made hushed sounds of worry, before making his name known. Harvey had taken a few steps of his own to enter the building before sunrise, before I had even found my own way to the building. I hadn't slept there in several days, due to some ill family coming in and getting treatment. The building needed proper time to do away with the vile vapors that surely followed the small family unit as they explored the shop.
!!!!He was dressed in a rather obscure manner, with a long scarf and a cloak over his shoulders to effectively hide a lot of his body. Underneath a mask, there were thick and bloodied bandages. Most of his left hand had been lost to some foreign infection and the leprosy. I calmed upon seeing his state of being was far too critical in terms of condition for him to serve as any proper threat. Questioning was quick, we exchanged names and titles, and he projected his ailment with a rather gruesome verbal description, starting with when his family had fallen ill, then he. His claim was that he alone had survived some monstrous rampage by a stranger. My condolences were brief, as I'd not known any of them, before I brought the point of regals to light. He said he knew not of where he had any or where he could find any, but that he was more than willing to aid me in ascertaining the location of some brigand that he had watched enter my shop, enter the back, then fade off into the night. My initial reaction was that of reason: To call heresy on this leper stranger and demand what had been stolen. His insistence that he was innocent left me with the gentle weight at guilt, given that I'd yelled with the utmost anger at the stranger.
!!!!From there I grabbed a candle from my counter and entered the back of the shop, where I kept the valuables and my bed. Opium produced a vapor I'd become quite familiar with, and my last strong batch was set out and ready for me to begin smoking.
!!!!That, however, is where my surprise truly took wing. The thieves had not stolen my opium, which had become rare and difficult to find since the false empress had taken control. I was the luckiest man on the street, if one measured luck in opium, as I did.
!!!!In reality, the object that was stolen was more important. On my wall I had a hook, with a key ring on it. The key ring itself was nearly useless without the proper knowledge, but if one were to realize that I had several books spelling out the first word in a two word phrase. With the first word, one must only have a simple understanding of where things are. I remember clearly moving swiftly while the Leper held his breath, expecting me to do something miraculous as if I was some sort of mage. I checked the books, three books with green leather covers. Two books with two word names, and one with a one word name. The first letters of each word spelled U-N-D-E-R. Under. I knew the location that the thing was under of course, but I hoped simply that the thief did not. I slipped under a rather expensive chair, that I'd invested heavily in, to find my head striking the metal of a safe door. My obscenities went on over the course of several minutes, upon the realization that the container had been tampered with. I remember very, very clearly the words of the leper, as they thoroughly shewed the man's place of origin.
!!!!"I seem to have lost my way, good sir," Were his words. What a simple man. It was nearly pitiful when I went on to explain the situation and the threat that our robber must pose, considering the actual details of the room, and he simply nodded his head and asked me to say it once more. Regretfully, I remember waving him off. I regret not taking all my opportunities to befriend him, as he may have stood a better chance when the next day came.

Last edited: