The Fence

Discussion in 'Player Stories' started by FatDumplingGrace, Dec 23, 2022.

1. FatDumplingGrace

FatDumplingGrace Refugee

What kind of person did she want to be?

The question slowly re-filled her mind as she stared at the mirror, thinking things over. Being a Unionist was an absolute no, and as the Crown Witch had said, it was nearly impossible to be an Archon unless you were devoted to the dragons to an almost insane degree. Was she trying to appease Haqet? The other Dragon members? No, she couldn’t do that anymore, they launched raid after raid on the denizens of the Sewers, murdering both her friends and others. Could she be a warrior like Gyr? No, she reflected, she still had plenty of friends who were Vampires, going down the route of ‘woman who beats up vampires’ while being hated by the Archon’s didn’t prove useful.

She reflected on what the Cahal had said, that they too, had played the fence for a long time, and had friends everywhere. But the Cahal had realized that friendship to all ment loyal to none, and had quickly left those friendships up top. It was hard, sure, but worth it in the end. For too long she had felt like this, not having many actual friends who could back her up in a fight. The loss of Carwine, the loss of Tare, hell, even herself. She had thought that getting rid of her Gift, Cahalism, ment being ‘back to normal’, that could play all sides and win the rewards of all. But seeing them hurt everybody she even remotely cared for, to see her friends getting dragged to Curing Chambers over and over…

Harlow’s words echo’ed in her mind, that he thought that rehabilitated Cahal’s could lead a successful and productive lifestyle, once Cured. He remarked that most Cahals were on the front lines fighting Kathar’s, and that should be where they should go, if not straight back to the Curing Chamber once done. But what kind of life is that? To be a part of the army under a leader, to fight to the very last breath? What of the Cahals who simply wished peace, only feeding off of those who were enemies of the faith?

She took a long glance at her hands, feeling them weaker than usual - the Curse, of course, had taken effect again. This time she showed a little more resistance, she hadn’t turned right away like the last time. She could cure herself again, make it known that she is going back to the way things were, play the fence, hop the line. Could she bear the Curse without guilt again? Would she be able to stand tall amidst their shattered and dwindling numbers? Then - she had an idea, she would have a letter or two to send to someone, but hoped it would work out. Her trembling and shaking withered hand sought the pen and paper, writing slowly and shakily.

As you are aware, the Maiden’s Rispostle has passed and gone, leaving what remains of the Cahals and Exist Warriors in shambles. The faithful, ones who were already on rocky relationships with Druliamon, have scattered to the winds, unknowing of the true meaning of the Maiden’s Rispostle until after the ceremony had concluded. An uproar happened, several faithful leaving Druliamon’s side to strike their own path.

I know this is a big risk you will be taking, but I know when the cards are low. I must admit, the numbers of the Estel faith dwindle every passing day. Branched off to their own devices, or in a state of slumber, or on the battlefields. With that in mind, I wish to tentatively extend a hand toward the Serpent’s Hollow once again, so that I may join as a warrior and medic on your side. Do not worry, I have my own place in Crookback where I keep all religious icons private and hidden away, and will not tell or preach about religion or anything of that sort to your members. I will also help and grant that I will fight alongside the Guild against the Lothar’s, Archon’s, and such, as you said, “I hate those motherfuckers more”.

I will of course, respect your decision if the answer is no - and hope I can still be allowed in the territories you offer. If the answer is yes, I look forward to seeing you soon.

-Yala @KitchenRefugee

Setting down the pen and sending off the letter by owl, Yala once again rested herself back against the bed frame. Only time will tell if her offer will ring true.

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1