The Diamond Standard: An Economic Revival

Discussion in 'Feature & Idea Discussion - Archive' started by Gumee, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Gumee

Gumee Flywater Fanatic

I'm bored of MassiveCraft; So are a lot of players. I've been bored of it for nearly two years. I've tried everything the server has to offer, from events, to quests, to building, to roleplaying, to PvP, to raiding--yes I'm listing PvP and raiding as different things, because they are--and to just plain sitting online and socializing in ally chat. The reason I'm bored of it all, is because there's no point. There's no progression any more. I'm blaming it on the economy that's progressively gone down the drain since mcmmo fishing. Since after the EULA hit, and it cost more money to fix god armor than buy a new set. Since I tried to make some regals buy opening a shop, but ended up not breaking even with the price it cost me to rent the shop for a month. Since god4all became a thing and over saturated the market. There's a problem.

I'm going to just flat out state how to fix the economy. We implement an adminshop. Massivecraft has always taken pride in being a "completely player run economy", but look where that's got us. Additionally, to be fair, it's technically never been completely player run either. I challenge you, to find an example of a successful open market economy. There isn't one. Just a side note in case you haven't taken high school economics yet; The United States is classified as a mixed economy, because as independent as we pride ourselves, we still need daddy's help every now and then (The Great Depression, The Housing Bubble, etc).

So, what exactly would this adminshop do? Well, if you wanna keep staff intervention minimal, just set up a single chest at /tp Market that only buys diamonds. For what price? That'd take some trial and error, but for now I'm going to suggest 30r. What affect will this have? Well, for starters it establishes a universally recognized baseline. I'm not going to be able to sell diamonds for anything cheaper than 30r, or I'm not making a profit. Therefore, the price of diamonds will rise. What is heavily influenced by the price of diamonds? God gear. Therefore the price of god gear will also increase. Now, there's some motivation to invest some time into "working". If I find diamonds when I'm mining, boom instant 30r. If I save them and turn them into god gear (24 diamonds for a diamond set, so thats 720r base price for a full set of god gear, factor in some extra regals for time spent manufacturing, like getting the levels to enchant in a darkroom and god gear is worth around 800r a set) I can make even more money.

So in summary, if we implement a shop that only purchases materials, not only will it raise prices and combat the current inflation, but it will also will "create jobs". Not to mention it will help take materials out of an already over saturated market. It's also an additional source of revenue for RPers who's only current source is from voting and packisle (which isn't a lot to rent those big fancy houses in the regalia, which is having its own housing market crisis).

But Gumee! I don't want staff getting involved in MY market! To that I say, "Sucks". Admin side has always had an influence over the market. With features like /fix, and voting rewards, and faction tax. There's just a current imbalance in the cycle of regals and material goods. We simply need another tool to re-balance the system. That new tool is an adminshop that buys diamonds and burns the regals and diamonds it earns.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Educated Educated x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    #1 Gumee, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  2. Zacatero

Zacatero Regalian High Lord

We are at pretty close to rock bottom at this point with the economy. There is demand because EVERYBODY has supply or its extremely easy to get. So i support the diamond buying thing. At this point any change is positive

If you are at the south pole.. any direction you step is north.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  3. 65jes89

65jes89 Leader of SunKiss

30r would be a bit heavy without a major increase in taxes or something, but the idea itself is pretty cool

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Viscar

Viscar Nekoii's Actual BFF

I don't see any harm in at least testing it or something similar

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Skul_man2k

Skul_man2k

I think this would be a great idea. Although instead of doing the your Adminshop idea, instead change the way the MassiveShop part of MassiveLock works to make it so that you can't sell resources for above or below a set point for example (and I'm going to steal your example), a diamond block can only be sold for say, upwards of 12r a piece but cannot cost more than 16r

6. MrFluffyBun

MrFluffyBun Fluffy, Princess of Fluffy Potatoes!

I'm good with that. Now I'll just buy a ton of diamonds and stash them till they implement it :D

7. Parz1vol

Parz1vol Chicken

That might be too much market control. Perhaps make Massive Restore not restore certain, "Precious," materials. That way there's a limited amount in circulation. Perhaps set the limit to 1,250,00,00 Diamonds in circulation and have the server place a vein whenever the total number of Diamonds (Factoring armor, raw diamonds, and diamond blocks) is below that number?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Zacatero

Zacatero Regalian High Lord

I do think that we will see a drop in Diamond Supply now that the massive restore was increased to 6 months. The fact that it was refreshing every month might have been a bad thing

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Gumee

Gumee Flywater Fanatic

Yes, decreasing the frequency of which MassiveRestore regenerates the world is a step in the right direction. Decreasing the frequency of which valuable ores spawn when a world chunk is regened is another step in the right direction. But its not enough. The market is so incredibly over saturated that simply slowing the rate at which valuables enter the market isn't good enough. We need to have a more consistent drain that siphons out whats already there.

10. Parz1vol

Parz1vol Chicken

Maybe delete valuable ores and stop massive restore from regenerating them for a year or two?

11. Gumee

Gumee Flywater Fanatic

I think thats a good idea, and personally I wouldn't mind. Unfortanetly there are players who enjoy mining for ores, and that's their "in game profession". If we remove ores, it'll be limiting their playstlye and we'll lose a certain number of players because we'd be essentially removing the mine from minecraft.

• Educated Educated x 1
  12. ZiHAMMER

ZiHAMMER Violettee is a transgender

We need anarchy not economy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Aeyris

Aeyris ex-ceo of Lyrah

Good points, I don't see it working.

The reason people aren't using shops and for the most part, we have everything we need. Faction such as Lyrah, Deld, Solarian, Ciryntalon and Insani are rich enough to not work. We have no need to buy resources - and we have enough to last us for years. For instance, I personally have roughly 1.5 dubs of diamonds, another 2 of gold, 2.5 dubs of emeralds, 4 of gold and 1.5 of iron. Please note those are all in blocks. This combined with my armor and weapons storage, I could outfit all of the factions community in full god gear. Neither am I accounting for the massive player vaults that exist.

Moreover, people would rather use their time mining then buying it at a shop because it gives them something to do. I think its better that we keep ourselves mildly entertained doing menial work because it's better than "wandering around out f home's"

And yes, new players need things, but most leave when they get confused or bored within a week. so they arent really viable.

The only real solutions that exist aren't able to be done. Tbh massive should become a moneyless society.

#13 Aeyris, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  14. Aeyris

Aeyris ex-ceo of Lyrah

*also: this is why I think massive needs more games that we can do just for fun. start our transition to a utopia.

#14 Aeyris, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  15. Jalapeno690

Jalapeno690 Doge of Helvetica

I completely agree as the saying goes "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war", massive needs a full out war, some will argue COK already brings that, but I disagree, someone toyed with the idea of an anti Solarian alliance, who in effect through land claims would surround solarian and fight it on their own terms, this has still to be realised but is interesting all the same. As far as economy, I mentioned to someone earlier they should go to the economic ideas of pre EULA, which is impossible but all the same, some of the biggest servers on the website today, hand out rewards etc on a far greater scale than massive ever did and these in effect are anti EULA

16. Aeyris

Aeyris ex-ceo of Lyrah

The only active pvp faction is Solarian, all the factions who could fight them got bored fighting them. Wyvern, Lyrah, drangelic and sunkiss - all inactive. I doubt they would come back for an idea like this because it already sorta existed.

17. Jalapeno690

Jalapeno690 Doge of Helvetica

I mean in the context of cok and for smaller factions who have something to gain from it, it was an idea someone raised last night over alliance chat

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ninja124r

Ninja124r brainlag

The hero we need but the hero we don't deserve

GumeeForNewStaffDirection2018

19. Gumee

Gumee Flywater Fanatic

You bring up some interesting points of discussion. For starters I want to clarify that the adminshops I'm speaking of in this post will only buy items. If they sold items as well, I agree it would be pointless and crush the player run economy.

Now, you're saying you have a ton of ores. The idea of an adminshop is having a consistent way of liquidating those ores into regals. If you want to keep them, by all means keep them. But if you wanted to sell them, for whoever knows what, you could. Unfortantely sell prices are always lower than buy prices, so if you wanted to get those ores back, you'd have to pay more than you earned selling them to an adminshop. Likewise for their products. If you sold 24 diamonds for 720, to add to your faction bank, you'd theoritically need to make an additional 800-1000ish to buy the god gear you could've made with those.

You're right in your point that we shouldn't be able to just buy materials, but again I've stated many times thay buying materials shouldn't be and won't be an option.

Your third point, you kinda lost me. The idea is to get new players and to give them things to do so that they don't get bored and leave instantly. It gives them progression. If they wanna rp, it makes it easier to afford a house in regalia (which is another economic crisis that needs to be tackled eventually). I dont understand your use of the word viable either.

MassiveCraft should most definietly not be a moneyless society. Currency is how we define how valuable items are. Gauaging a player of factions wealth is impossible without currency. That's why 99% of games have some sort of in game currency. Currency provides background objectives as it can act as a barrier that needs to be overcome. MassiveCraft money is currently useless and its causing a ripple affect across the game. Several players have noticed it, and it sparked this post and a discussion with staff. Reviving the economy is the start to reviving MassiveCraft.

20. Gumee

Gumee Flywater Fanatic

If that's what you want, then join a factions server that has tnt enabled, minimal staff involvement, and completely resers every couple of months. That's anarchy.

21. ZiHAMMER

ZiHAMMER Violettee is a transgender

I don't play minecraft at all.

• Immersive Immersive x 1
    • Educated Educated x 1
  22. Aeyris

Aeyris ex-ceo of Lyrah

This was a joke. Sorry if it didnt come off like that :/

• Like Like x 1
  23. Viscar

Viscar Nekoii's Actual BFF

Idk the stone duck statue at Solarian worked well

• Immersive Immersive x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  24. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

We are considering it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Educated Educated x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  25. MrFluffyBun

MrFluffyBun Fluffy, Princess of Fluffy Potatoes!

Yey

26. ThatGuyOnMyBlock

ThatGuyOnMyBlock Rainbow Caster

This is the best economic stabilizer solution I have ever heard. Cant believe someone didn't think of it sooner!