Archived "the Clay Man" Alt Character Application Section

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.

soapboxstage

a muppet of a man
Reaction score
Faction
Chalsie's fac
Roleplay Guilds
Silver Lining Fleet
So, writing a lot of apps recently and I noticed, the personality traits aren't terribly accurate. So, I started some notes and such and researching off of some concepts and I created this idea:

So, recently I added this into my character app after some research:
upload_2017-1-23_22-19-25-png.109479

So I came up with this idea(this is based off of the "big 5 traits"-explained here:
(applies to most lore compliant cultures
so this is what I am suggesting:

As an alternate opportunity instead of writing out six character traits, we make a chart kinda like this:
Openness to new experiences(0 being not open 10 being incredibly open):
Very disciplined to little disciplined(0 having no self control 10 being incredibly strict about everything):
Introverted to extroverted: (0 being completely introver to 10 being completely extroverted):
Disagreeable to agreeable(0 being completely self centered to 10 being a person donating their entire lives to charity:
Calm to nervous(0 being incredibly laid back to 10 being incredibly nervous):

Why would this work better possibly, you ask?
I think this would work better due to people being a lot more complex than 6 main personality traits. This could be developed in the future possibly into a chart of battling motives and morals to create even more complex ideas or just better alternatives to what we have now.

ALSO! remember there is a lot of room for detail here as there is an infinite amount of numbers between 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 and 8... well just say there is an infinite amount of numbers between 0 and ten so you can add a lot of detail

Last edited:
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I've also written a ton of apps lately, and I've had a somewhat similar idea while writing them. Everyone can relate to all traits, but grading them from 1 - 10 would be a more accurate way of rating the quality of their traits, in my opinion. So I'm all for your idea!

I've also written a ton of apps lately, and I've had a somewhat similar idea while writing them. Everyone can relate to all traits, but grading them from 1 - 10 would be a more accurate way of rating the quality of their traits, in my opinion. So I'm all for your idea!
thank you, I was hoping to do similar things for strengths and weaknesses but I haven't figured out a system yet.

What I've been finding difficult is making a weakness section without horrifically disfiguring your character or making them mentally insane.

Also, notice there is a lot of room for more detail here. There is an infinite amount of numbers in between 1 and 2 so the possibilities for combinations are limitless.

Imma like tag someone, cuz I wud love to see this actually happen
@someone @MonMarty <- I think he duz stuf lik dis

This would be a fun alternative. As an avid character designer, I feel like this isn't specific enough. Traits narrow down things, quite a bit. Not everyone who is introverted is completely so. They just might be introverted around crowds but completely extroverted around a small group of friends. I think you should further expand the idea a bit.

It's fun, but might not be the level of detail it could be.

This would be a fun alternative. As an avid character designer, I feel like this isn't specific enough. Traits narrow down things, quite a bit. Not everyone who is introverted is completely so. They just might be introverted around crowds but completely extroverted around a small group of friends. I think you should further expand the idea a bit.

It isn't as detailed as what you describe but I feel as if it is an improvement from the "jimmeh is lovely, joyous, combative, and hypocritical" I feel as this will apply to more situations as well. this is a simplistic design created to ease the load of work for writing apps but I feel as if it better because it better describes a character than 6 simplistic traits.

It isn't as detailed as what you describe but I feel as if it is an improvement from the "jimmeh is lovely, joyous, combative, and hypocritical" I feel as this will apply to more situations as well. this is a simplistic design created to ease the load of work for writing apps but I feel as if it better because it better describes a character than 6 simplistic traits.
Characters shouldn't be simple. I can understand streamlining applications, not simplifying.

The way I want "The Clay Man Project" to lay out is to make this as a simplistic version, the regular an average, and the complex a chart of battling motives and morals. After this, I plan to find some alternative for the strengths and weaknesses section because I find really difficult to write a character with actuall strengths without them being mentally insane or horribly disfigured.

I don't know, I just think this method describes characters better than just 6 traits.
I definetely wouldn't say describes better, I'd say reads easier. But ultimately I'm interested to hear what a lore staff has to say about this.

So then what is the point of this thread? If it's optional, then people have a choice to do it, and the Staff have no obligation to encourage/enforce it.
Because it would be an acceptable way to write a personality on a character app. But, If staff start excepting it, people aren't forced to use it. They can use the old way if they wish

Because it would be an acceptable way to write a personality on a character app. But, If staff start excepting it, people aren't forced to use it. They can use the old way if they wish
You phrased it as if you're creating a lazy way out of writing 6 paragraphs if someone doesn't want to write them.

You phrased it as if you're creating a lazy way out of writing 6 paragraphs if someone doesn't want to write them.
but this also gives different details and information that could possibly prove to have more useful information, I am going to leave this to lore staff at this point.

but this also gives different details and information that could possibly prove to have more useful information, I am going to leave this to lore staff at this point.
That still doesn't remove from the fact that it in fact does not give more information in any manner at all. It's a good form of summary if one is being lazy, but it doesn't at all provide the same detail that the 6 paragraphs can give if people actually think through the stuff.

It is a lazy way out of writing.

That still doesn't remove from the fact that it in fact does not give more information in any manner at all. It's a good form of summary if one is being lazy, but it doesn't at all provide the same detail that the 6 paragraphs can give if people actually think through the stuff.

Namely, it doesn't explain why, whi, what, when, where, and how one is the way they are.

It gives more information if you know how to read it right. 6 traits is not a person. This describes literally every aspect of the personality.