Archived The Bookshelf Plugin!

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Helldome

Beggar
Reaction score
This suggestion is one that benefits roleplay but also just allows people an interesting way to design functional libraries.
The BookShelf plugin has been around for a long while and it does a multitude of different things

Functions of Plugin
1. Allows you to store books (written), maps, paper, and music dics inside of bookshelves
2. Gives bookshelves a chest-like inventory
3. Shelves can be named individually on the bookshelf - Good for making library sections!
4. Multiple players can all access the same shelf at the same time
5. Possible to create bookshelves that give out an unlimited copy of one type of book.
6. Bookshelves can be turned into shops - Combined with the unlimited bookshelf this can be used to sell things like newspapers

I honestly think this plugin would be a very neat edition to the server and it works with lwc which was just implemented! With this plugin finally there's a good reason to write books and sell them as well as another reason besides enchanting to have bookcases. Plus if you allowed players the ability to set up book shops with unlimited copies of a book that would allow certain popular RP-info books to become a staple in libraries. Another big addition would be the ability to create a Regalian newspaper that could be easily circulated throughout the city via newspaper stands!

Check out the full list of plug-in features here http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/bookshelf/ and please help me get this onto the server!

If you vote Maybe I'd love for you to post in the thread has put you on the fence about the topic, thanks!
If you vote No I'd also love for you to post into thread as to why you don't want the plugin, again thanks!
All posts really help to see the faults and benefits this plugin may bring.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I heard they were working on a plugin like this... About a year ago...

Well this plugin doesn't have to be worked on simply implemented so I'm unsure of what you mean... As in they tried once already to add it? I mean maybe it doesn't work with another plugin on the server but I can't think of any server plugins we have that it would conflict with...

The only reason I would like this, is if staff started hiding Lore Books and items for RP inside bookshelves to increase people's interest in exploring.

The only reason I would like this, is if staff started hiding Lore Books and items for RP inside bookshelves to increase people's interest in exploring.

Oh that would be great since right now the only exploratory incentive is hoping to find unprotected or expired chests... You can disable certain side of bookcases so that only a few or a single side can be used to remove books, staff could totally put bookshelves in the floor somewhere and have the top accessible! That's a really neat concept!

Actually implementing a pluggin is NOT that easy, for most servers yes, but this server has something they made called sharding, they not only have to put in the pluggin, but they have to make each pluggin they use to fit into sharding. Essentially remake it and tweak this and that's until it finally works.

Actually implementing a pluggin is NOT that easy, for most servers yes, but this server has something they made called sharding, they not only have to put in the pluggin, but they have to make each pluggin they use to fit into sharding. Essentially remake it and tweak this and that's until it finally works.

Interesting... I apologize that I did not know that thanks for the info!

Suuuuuuppooorrrttteeeeeedddddd. I've got a shitload of books in my chest and some empty bookshelves, so this would be an amazing addition!
Haha, I've got an enormous library project that when finished is going to contain several hundred bookcases! Unfortunately because I haven't played vanilla Minecraft in so long I was unaware that placing books in bookshelves was not a default function because the server I've always played on had the ability to do so and I didn't know it was a plugin! So you can imagine my surprise when I attempted to place the inaugural book in the library and realized I couldn't put books on my bookshelves!

No need to apologize, honestly I want this xD

The last comment for this plugin says that it took 7 hours for this plugin to update the database, when it updated. I, for one, am not willing for server updates to keep the server down for such a long period of time. MassiveCraft also has MassiveBooks that implements some of these features, though in very different ways. What features, specifically, do you like about this plugin? Think of this as a wish list for an upgrade to MassiveBooks. Use /book to see the current commands in game or look at the website: http://www.massivecraft.com/massivebooks

The last comment for this plugin says that it took 7 hours for this plugin to update the database, when it updated. I, for one, am not willing for server updates to keep the server down for such a long period of time. MassiveCraft also has MassiveBooks that implements some of these features, though in very different ways. What features, specifically, do you like about this plugin? Think of this as a wish list for an upgrade to MassiveBooks. Use /book to see the current commands in game or look at the website: http://www.massivecraft.com/massivebooks

Actually the last comment for the plugin is a response from the actual plugin's developer stating that he's aware of the issue and that the next update will allow databases to update exponentially faster thanks to a new technique that he has discovered so that won't be an issue for very much longer... I'm quite aware of Massivebooks and I don't see how it in anyway contains those features besides being able to make a copy of a book that you are holding which even then is only similar in that books can be copied. Massivebooks adds absolutely nothing to the actual bookshelf block which is the whole point of the BookShelf plugin...

Suuuuuuppooorrrttteeeeeedddddd. I've got a shitload of books in my chest and some empty bookshelves, so this would be an amazing addition!

๖ۣۜActually, there is a way to put all those chests WITH the bookshelves.
The screenshots basically state how:
Place a chest in between bookshelves,
cover the bookshelves with a material,
and have the block ABOVE the chest be a stair piece.
You can use it as a staircase above a hidden location, or a brilliant chair/rooftop.

So I don't stray too far off topic, the screenshots below basically state a way to avoid the need of the plugin. However, I do find it quite interesting, and it would be kinda cool to see it around. I am neutral on this.

Attachments

• 2014-02-06_16.08.04.png
    2014-02-06_16.08.04.png
    303.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 2014-02-06_16.08.12.png
    2014-02-06_16.08.12.png
    424.5 KB · Views: 18
Actually the last comment for the plugin is a response from the actual plugin's developer stating that he's aware of the issue and that the next update will allow databases to update exponentially faster thanks to a new technique that he has discovered so that won't be an issue for very much longer... I'm quite aware of Massivebooks and I don't see how it in anyway contains those features besides being able to make a copy of a book that you are holding which even then is only similar in that books can be copied. Massivebooks adds absolutely nothing to the actual bookshelf block which is the whole point of the BookShelf plugin...
This plugin will not be added to MassiveCraft. It has too many features that might conflict with our current features. It also has bugs that would not be acceptable. I attempted to direct the conversation to find out what features you actually wanted, with the idea of replicating these features in MassiveCraft. Your response, above, indicates that you aren't willing to have such a conversation.

Locking this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.