Archived The Blending Of Worlds ( Yet Another Thread )

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.

Conflee

Me an the bois at 3 am lookin for BEANS!
Reaction score
Website
conflee.tumblr.com
Hello! For anyone confused, read this post first: https://forums.massivecraft.com/threads/server-management-factions-and-regalia.59999/

Anyway, getting into it, after posting and reading in the original thread, I thought it might be a good idea to grab some ideas and pull them out and develop them a big more outside of the reply section of that thread, to make them less difficult to find.

Worlds and Resets:

My idea of the 'ideal' Massivecraft, feasibility put aside for a moment, would be having everything in one world. Similarly to how World of Warcraft did, with a large map, and ships to connect it all. This is mostly absurde and the server would have an aneurysm, the poor thing, if we tried I think. I am in favor of the idea of both a reset and a reduction of the number of maps we are using.

I think the 'middle ground' between having one condensed world, and having a dozen vaguely connected worlds, is having a few huge, deeply interwoven worlds. My idea being: We have three or four worlds, or 'Regions' or what have you. Each is a continent or landmass or cluster of land that can be distinguished firmly. Each Continent would also have to be HUGE to replace the lost space the reduction of worlds would cause. They are CONTINENTS after all.

Corontium (Regalia and Etosia and Kelmoria etc) would be the first, and the most Roleplay driven due to hosting Regalia, Silverwind, and Pack Isle. On top of this though, each 'island' of the Continent would be surrounded solidly by a Barrier Wall, to prevent people manually swimming around and us having to make excessive amounts of regions. The distance of ocean between each would also be reduced significantly to save on world space, but to avoid breaking that illusion, the barrier walls. Travel between the islands would be done mainly with boats with teleport locations in them, and tps to major locations. Travel to smaller towns that may or may not be built later on would have to be done with 'carts' similarly to how we tp around Regalia currently, confined to their own areas. IE you cant take a cart from Regalia to Etosil. However ON Etosil itself you could cart between towns for a cost. Say 15 regals. Or you can walk like you do now.

Daen (Daenroc, Ithania, Teled Methen, etc) would be the second, due to its focus in story at the moment, and housing several major powers in the geopolitical landscape of Aloria. Similarly to Corontium, it would be distinguished by regions, though carting would be subdivided as well into chunks of accessibility. Each 'chunk' would have a tp to at least whatever passes as its 'capital' though.

Farah'deen should be the last of the major three. Mainly to cover all the bases as best as possible: Corontium and Daen cover islands, forests, mountains, and snowy regions. Farah will cover the deserts, mesas, etc. To keep variety. They are also a major player in the lore scene, so having them is good.

The idea with this, as you might guess with me mentioning towns and such, is to include at the least a Capital for every major Continent or Region of a Continent. IE Ithania and Hyarocc would each have a capital. Along with potentially over time, various towns and cities dotted around that can host Roleplay and Quests, and Markets. The idea being that if we mix the Roleplay environments in with the Survival ones, a bit of intermingling will occur. There would also be incentives for Factions to get involved: some system like the current CoK that ranks Factions Regionally, Continentally, and Globally, so they can vie for power and influence over their respective domains, even laying claim to large regions like shops and warehouses and keeps in and around the Roleplay towns.

My idea is to also integrate the Market out of its own flatworld and into the environment more. Adding a toggle to disable/enable Lock Particles is the first step, to reduce lag dramatically for players with lower end PCs. Then setting up stalls, and shops, that can be rented out and specifically have the ability to place chests in them enabled. These would mainly be in Capitals, which have TPs to them, and we could even add a 'Trade Hub' esk area where people can take teleports directly to each Market area to simplify the process of finding wares. They would be limited in size and spread out enough across the worlds that the lag issue wouldn't be as major either. Lore Compliance would be loosely enforced in these markets as well. Not heavily, but no making them look rubbish. Placing blocks of valuable materials, or just ugly bright spams of color wouldn't be allowed, etc. Which might encourage players to even man their stalls for events, if they feel inclined to hosting Market Fairs and such, to increase their sales and bring in Roleplay.

My next major must would be having rough roads built between cities before the map is logged for MassiveRestore, so when it runs a chunk restore it brings back the road if it is damaged or mined away. That way travel feels more natural- especially given how huge continents would be. It might get Factions to settle along roads as well, like how towns form in real life. Which will make the world feel even more lively and realistic.

Economy Wipe:

There were several good arguments for and against the wipe in the original thread, and I just want to bring out that the economy was, as I have heard it, broken even before Gift4All, and after it it was like beating a dead horse. If this is the case, its not just God Armor thats the issue- and even if it was just God Armor causing the issue, only removing the God Armor would only make players scrap it, turn it to diamonds, and try to salvage as much value from them as they can. Which doesnt fix the issue of the economy being buggered at all really.

The only fix for it that I can see is adding a Higher Tier for everything, or wiping it. If its wiped, I would say get a temporary Player Vault plugin, like /pv, give all players access to 4 PVs, and let them store what they hold the most dear. Sentimental items, old lore, materials to rebuild, what have you. Leave the PVs in the server for two months, give plenty of warning that its temporary and when its going, a 2 week warning, then a 1 week, then 1 day, etc. Then get rid of the plugin. If they failed to notice and lost stuff, its their issue for being blind.

As for the other idea, the 'Higher Tier', this suggestion has been argued to death, but: Adding a tier of gear above the vanilla limit. AND NOT EVER EVER EVER adding that tier to donatable rewards. At least as a guaranteed recieved item. Have to be like, 1/1000 to be even considered fair odds. This retroactively makes all the old gear worth less than it was before. This would/could also be done with Lore items: releasing a few, say a dozen, Pink Tier items over the course of 6 months, 2 a month. Having more of the higher tier places them at a slightly lower value, but having them be more obtainable makes the rest of the lore gubbins slightly less valued in the eyes of players. Potentially.

The Topic of 1.8:

My own personal opinion, despite other servers sticking to their guns to appease the general PVP player bases, is that we should not even be supporting such an outdated version of the game. There is surely only so old that the server can handle before our plugins start freaking out and the game doesnt know what to do. I think a year and a half is long enough to bother with an old, outdated, clunky version of the game. Install a 1.8 combat plugin and enable offhand, disable shield-on-right-click, and then remove the ability to log in from 1.8 entirely. It will piss people off, surely, but its at the point that its stupid in my opinion. If people cant accept that multiplayer lego changed how you hit things then they need to move on with their live. To Roblox maybe.

Jokes aside, thats my stance on it. It might draw in more people who are 'purists' but they wont be able to enjoy the game as fully because all the blocks added in the last 3-4 versions of the game, which are dozens and dozens at this point, will look like bricks to them. Assuming they dont just crash because of how outdated their clients are. If we want to unite the player base, Survival and Roleplay, by melding everything together, which I think is the best way to do it really, then limiting everyone to an old version of the game isnt going to do it. It will have the opposite effect. Anyone who isnt a hardcore purist will ignore the survival worlds in favor of playing the version of the game that is fresh and works properly.

Conclusion:

I should have gone to bed an hour ago so Ill finish with this: Im open to talks on it. As long as people can bring some facts, or heck even if its just an opinion so long as they dont state it as fact. I want to know what people think, especially about removing the distinctions between "Roleplay" and "Survival" and "Quest" worlds and just having some of everything on all the Continents. And, from @World @Lore any limitation the 'Three Worlds" approach might have, be it hardware, staff power, the file size limit on uploading worlds and how large a map can be before the host kills itself, whatever issues.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hello! For anyone confused, read this post first: https://forums.massivecraft.com/threads/server-management-factions-and-regalia.59999/

Anyway, getting into it, after posting and reading in the original thread, I thought it might be a good idea to grab some ideas and pull them out and develop them a big more outside of the reply section of that thread, to make them less difficult to find.

Worlds and Resets:

My idea of the 'ideal' Massivecraft, feasibility put aside for a moment, would be having everything in one world. Similarly to how World of Warcraft did, with a large map, and ships to connect it all. This is mostly absurde and the server would have an aneurysm, the poor thing, if we tried I think. I am in favor of the idea of both a reset and a reduction of the number of maps we are using.

I think the 'middle ground' between having one condensed world, and having a dozen vaguely connected worlds, is having a few huge, deeply interwoven worlds. My idea being: We have three or four worlds, or 'Regions' or what have you. Each is a continent or landmass or cluster of land that can be distinguished firmly. Each Continent would also have to be HUGE to replace the lost space the reduction of worlds would cause. They are CONTINENTS after all.

Corontium (Regalia and Etosia and Kelmoria etc) would be the first, and the most Roleplay driven due to hosting Regalia, Silverwind, and Pack Isle. On top of this though, each 'island' of the Continent would be surrounded solidly by a Barrier Wall, to prevent people manually swimming around and us having to make excessive amounts of regions. The distance of ocean between each would also be reduced significantly to save on world space, but to avoid breaking that illusion, the barrier walls. Travel between the islands would be done mainly with boats with teleport locations in them, and tps to major locations. Travel to smaller towns that may or may not be built later on would have to be done with 'carts' similarly to how we tp around Regalia currently, confined to their own areas. IE you cant take a cart from Regalia to Etosil. However ON Etosil itself you could cart between towns for a cost. Say 15 regals. Or you can walk like you do now.

Daen (Daenroc, Ithania, Teled Methen, etc) would be the second, due to its focus in story at the moment, and housing several major powers in the geopolitical landscape of Aloria. Similarly to Corontium, it would be distinguished by regions, though carting would be subdivided as well into chunks of accessibility. Each 'chunk' would have a tp to at least whatever passes as its 'capital' though.

Farah'deen should be the last of the major three. Mainly to cover all the bases as best as possible: Corontium and Daen cover islands, forests, mountains, and snowy regions. Farah will cover the deserts, mesas, etc. To keep variety. They are also a major player in the lore scene, so having them is good.

The idea with this, as you might guess with me mentioning towns and such, is to include at the least a Capital for every major Continent or Region of a Continent. IE Ithania and Hyarocc would each have a capital. Along with potentially over time, various towns and cities dotted around that can host Roleplay and Quests, and Markets. The idea being that if we mix the Roleplay environments in with the Survival ones, a bit of intermingling will occur. There would also be incentives for Factions to get involved: some system like the current CoK that ranks Factions Regionally, Continentally, and Globally, so they can vie for power and influence over their respective domains, even laying claim to large regions like shops and warehouses and keeps in and around the Roleplay towns.

My idea is to also integrate the Market out of its own flatworld and into the environment more. Adding a toggle to disable/enable Lock Particles is the first step, to reduce lag dramatically for players with lower end PCs. Then setting up stalls, and shops, that can be rented out and specifically have the ability to place chests in them enabled. These would mainly be in Capitals, which have TPs to them, and we could even add a 'Trade Hub' esk area where people can take teleports directly to each Market area to simplify the process of finding wares. They would be limited in size and spread out enough across the worlds that the lag issue wouldn't be as major either. Lore Compliance would be loosely enforced in these markets as well. Not heavily, but no making them look rubbish. Placing blocks of valuable materials, or just ugly bright spams of color wouldn't be allowed, etc. Which might encourage players to even man their stalls for events, if they feel inclined to hosting Market Fairs and such, to increase their sales and bring in Roleplay.

My next major must would be having rough roads built between cities before the map is logged for MassiveRestore, so when it runs a chunk restore it brings back the road if it is damaged or mined away. That way travel feels more natural- especially given how huge continents would be. It might get Factions to settle along roads as well, like how towns form in real life. Which will make the world feel even more lively and realistic.

Economy Wipe:

There were several good arguments for and against the wipe in the original thread, and I just want to bring out that the economy was, as I have heard it, broken even before Gift4All, and after it it was like beating a dead horse. If this is the case, its not just God Armor thats the issue- and even if it was just God Armor causing the issue, only removing the God Armor would only make players scrap it, turn it to diamonds, and try to salvage as much value from them as they can. Which doesnt fix the issue of the economy being buggered at all really.

The only fix for it that I can see is adding a Higher Tier for everything, or wiping it. If its wiped, I would say get a temporary Player Vault plugin, like /pv, give all players access to 4 PVs, and let them store what they hold the most dear. Sentimental items, old lore, materials to rebuild, what have you. Leave the PVs in the server for two months, give plenty of warning that its temporary and when its going, a 2 week warning, then a 1 week, then 1 day, etc. Then get rid of the plugin. If they failed to notice and lost stuff, its their issue for being blind.

As for the other idea, the 'Higher Tier', this suggestion has been argued to death, but: Adding a tier of gear above the vanilla limit. AND NOT EVER EVER EVER adding that tier to donatable rewards. At least as a guaranteed recieved item. Have to be like, 1/1000 to be even considered fair odds. This retroactively makes all the old gear worth less than it was before. This would/could also be done with Lore items: releasing a few, say a dozen, Pink Tier items over the course of 6 months, 2 a month. Having more of the higher tier places them at a slightly lower value, but having them be more obtainable makes the rest of the lore gubbins slightly less valued in the eyes of players. Potentially.

The Topic of 1.8:

My own personal opinion, despite other servers sticking to their guns to appease the general PVP player bases, is that we should not even be supporting such an outdated version of the game. There is surely only so old that the server can handle before our plugins start freaking out and the game doesnt know what to do. I think a year and a half is long enough to bother with an old, outdated, clunky version of the game. Install a 1.8 combat plugin and enable offhand, disable shield-on-right-click, and then remove the ability to log in from 1.8 entirely. It will piss people off, surely, but its at the point that its stupid in my opinion. If people cant accept that multiplayer lego changed how you hit things then they need to move on with their live. To Roblox maybe.

Jokes aside, thats my stance on it. It might draw in more people who are 'purists' but they wont be able to enjoy the game as fully because all the blocks added in the last 3-4 versions of the game, which are dozens and dozens at this point, will look like bricks to them. Assuming they dont just crash because of how outdated their clients are. If we want to unite the player base, Survival and Roleplay, by melding everything together, which I think is the best way to do it really, then limiting everyone to an old version of the game isnt going to do it. It will have the opposite effect. Anyone who isnt a hardcore purist will ignore the survival worlds in favor of playing the version of the game that is fresh and works properly.

Conclusion:

I should have gone to bed an hour ago so Ill finish with this: Im open to talks on it. As long as people can bring some facts, or heck even if its just an opinion so long as they dont state it as fact. I want to know what people think, especially about removing the distinctions between "Roleplay" and "Survival" and "Quest" worlds and just having some of everything on all the Continents. And, from @World @Lore any limitation the 'Three Worlds" approach might have, be it hardware, staff power, the file size limit on uploading worlds and how large a map can be before the host kills itself, whatever issues.
Hey @Conflee,

I'd like to thank you for trying to spark a discussion on these topics but their are some major points I must bring up.

• Regarding everything you said about 1.8 . . .

You're just wrong. It seems that you believe servers which "appeal to a PvP base" run off of 1.8.9 for the game mechanics alone, which they do not, servers use 1.8.9 because it's reliable! Each game version that's published by Mojang is a clean unchanging client, stating that "older versions become too glitchy and crash your game" is simply not true. With versions beyond 1.8.9, Mojang severely altered the code that is involved in combat. Though MassiveCraft can fundamentally change the way PvP works on the outside, for example, removing the second hand slot and swing delay, the game is still changed on the inside to work with newer versions. Hit registration, cursor delays, and faulty Knockback are some examples of issues many players face when PvP'ing outside of 1.8.9.

Last edited:
With versions beyond 1.8.9, Mojang severely altered the code that is involved in combat. Though MassiveCraft can fundamentally change the way PvP works on the outside, for example, removing the second hand slot and swing delay, the game is still changed on the inside to work with newer versions. Hit registration, cursor delays, and faulty Knockback are some examples of issues many players face when PvP'ing outside of 1.8.9.

(I'm still typing this but I'd like to leave a comment for now)

Game mechanics and how the code handles combat are the same thing. But beyond that, while I will agree that combat with 1.9+, even with plugins, isn't as quick as 1.8- some slight changes to how quickly your hits can land creating a ceiling thats a bit lower than pvpers could go etc) arguing that playing the old version gives an advantage with hits landing more reliably is just another point against it. Everyone should play the same version to be on even ground. Granted anyone could technically go back and get the version, but anyone could go and download a Hacked Client too. Not to compare it to hacking but the point is the same.

If the difference is so great that there is enough of an advantage to be willing to play an old af version of the game, then it shouldn't be allowed- not only for the reasons with melding Survival and RP, etc, but also just because it gives the players who know an advantage over everyone else.

I just woke up so sorry if my wording is a bit derpy here but eh.

Either way, even if joining with 1.8 is still allowed, which honestly im not as vehemently against as I sound even though it causes a mass headache for World Staff trying to make the new maps and cities assuming that happens. I dont think making the Survival worlds hosted on 1.8 would be a good move. Everything has to be hosted on the same version for unity sake if nothing else, because Roleplayers and a lot of others arent going to want to give up the new blocks and such.

oh honey no we're not resetting the economy i have 38k to sell

The point of merging into one world is that players will be forced to lived closer to each other, at most, if we combine everyone into one world, the map should be at most 2 times the size of say Fenderfell. I want to see lots of active factions in close proximity. Also a ton of people play 1.8. Newer is not always better, and I last I checked there are still a huge amount of players, all across Minecraft and not just MassiveCraft, who vehemently will not play any version newer than 1.8 and hate what Mojang has done to combat.

To give you perspective, Mineplex, one of Minecraft's largest servers said they the ratio of 1.8 to 1.9 users was 11 to 1. (As of last year)

it sounds like a good plan but will people have to start over or can they get their builds transferred to the new map? Some people have spent months on their factions and would probably get upset and leave if they had to restart.

it sounds like a good plan but will people have to start over or can they get their builds transferred to the new map? Some people have spent months on their factions and would probably get upset and leave if they had to restart.
There has already been some talk by staff of a wipe, with at least one survival world staying, etc. Stuff to fix the economy and all kinds of things. I would recommend checking some of the Stickied threads by MonMarty in Server Announcements.

My personal want would be a system for players to submit builds to be carried over. If they are deemed to be large enough that the effort to remake them would be too much for a player, or that they are just awesome enough that they deserve it, based on various levels of quality, then they can be saved as schematics, have all the chests turned to air, and pasted into the new map(s) and blended in by World Staff.

With Voxel Sniper, I could put in around 3-4 HUGE bases in a day on my own. So thats a rough estimate time-wise, though granted the server would lag during the process as well.