Under Review Technology Lore Overhaul And Expansion

Discussion in 'Roleplay' started by Conflee, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Conflee

Conflee Me an the bois at 3 am lookin for BEANS!

divider3.gif
    Introduction

Hello! To begin, I'll sum this up simply: Technology Lore hasn't been touched in a significant way since Metallurgy which in itself was one page being added. I personally feel that information on technology would be more applicable in day-to-day Roleplay for most people than the masses of Flora/Fauna pages are, as much fun as they are. Hence, this suggestion: To overhaul the formatting of the Technology Pages to fit more with the new Proficiency System, and expand things and flesh details out finally. This includes my suggested formatting, and a list of 'proposals' for new Technology that will fit with Aloria.

pW5YoAb.png
    Formatting

Currently, the sidebar on the Technology Pages just uses the Alchemy Infobox. My proposed change:​
    Code:
    {{Info technology
    |image          = img.png (Delete this line if there's no image)
    |appearance     = Basic appearance.
    |invention        = Who invented it or where was it invented
    |obtainability  = Rate 0/5.
    |creation     = Requirements for making one, IE 20+ Smithing.
    |components =
    *Amount of Material 1
    *Amount of Material 2
    *IE 15 ft of copper wire.
    |uses        =
    #Common uses
    #What can it do?
    }}
    pW5YoAb.png
    Suggested Additions

Ill be brief here because there will be a lot of things that I think can be elaborated on.
    • Plough - The thing you hook up to livestock to dig trenches in fields for planting.
    • Horseshoes - Simple, clearly already exist, just a small page to formalize stuff.
    • Wine Press - How to make Wine. We all love wine.
    • Brewing - Use of mash tuns, fermentation, kegs, etc to make Ale and mead.
    • Paper Mill - Water powered mill used to make paper from plant fibers.
    • Windmills - Used to grind grain etc into flower.
    • Trip Hammer - Used to automate hammer work in forges, with a wheel etc.
    • Printing Press - Rules have been around for its uses OOC for ages but it still has no page.
    • Spinning Wheel - For making cloth.
    • Grindstones - Used for sharpening metal.
    • Mirrors - I can see cleaaarllyyy now-
    • Soap - Probably of the simi-liquid variety for commoners and bar sort for upper class.
    • Arched Saddle - Birth of lance wielding cavalry.
    • Stirrups - Improved horse riding.
    • Rib Vault - A Ceiling technique so vaults can be built on weird shapes that might be uneven etc.
    • Slewing Cranes - A crane that can turn and raise and lower, used on docks commonly.
    • Wheelbarrow - For cripples since Regalia hasnt invented Wheel Chairs.
    • Hourglass - Tell the time, roughly.
    • Time Candle - Invented by the Qadir or Songanskie probably, a candle with markings for hours and firebite in the wax, so it sparks when an hour passes.
    • Duso Baree - Leutz-Vixe invented device, basically a large rod with a series of crystals that amplify sounds when spoken into the top. Medieval-fantasy Microphone, VERY rare only like 15 in the Archipelago. Background stuff to add another object of wealth for nobles to seek after. Having one in an event hall would be a big deal.
    • Evocarorum Tech - More details on how void/exist energies can be used to power machines, with defined limits and themes, to make everything more structured so when they come up in plot it doesnt feel hand wavey. Limitations breed creativity, not knowing them from a 'reader' POV makes stuff feel cheap.
    • Clockwork - Qadir clocks and other clockwork devices. Some trivial daily life stuff like something that slices apples and pears when inserted etc.
    • Dwarven Tech - Running to the bottom of the list, im just going to say general Dwarven stuff. They are really cool but i would like to know what they have and how they use it, etc. More fleshing out, have it tie into their culture in some ways. Maybe adaptations they came up with to deal with Dakkar. ETC.
    • Some weird shit from the Far East. We know nothing about them so Ill leave it in the air.
    pW5YoAb.png
    Final Note

As an aside, a few things I alluded to would be stuff like Components listings, with basic parts that can be used to make machines. Proficiency Point tie-ins for everything so it is not only able to be obtained IC, but made, without the need for a Lore Q&A every time someone wants to do it for every single technology.

I have to go to work, so Ill leave this post here. If I come up with more ideas, Ill add them to the post under this. Let me know your thoughts!​

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Conflee

pW5YoAb.png
    More Suggestions
    • Dry Dock - Basin that can be drained or filled with water so ships can come in and be worked on.
    • Pewter - Metal Alloy used for basic things like plates and cups etc.
    • Sewers - As basic as it seems, Sewers were a big deal for sanitation, and Regalia has, or well, HAD, many.
    • Wood Veneer - Very thin wood paneling, glued on to produce flat panels on doors etc.
    • Glue - Melt a horse, its fun.
    • Teeth Implants - Fake teeth, wood and iron, and gold capped.
    • Prosthetic Clamp Hand - A hand replacement with a basic Clamp that has to be tightened and loosened around an object to hold it. Should be hard to get and make, but possible for skilled smiths and/or clockwork engineering. Emphasis on the page about how if this is your sword hand you take a -10 with your proficiency with it to avoid abuse. Require that to be added to the app, etc.
    • Locks - A couple different locks, tumbler locks etc. Mainly just to facilitate their ability to be made IC and bought IC.
    • Automatic Door - Background lore, a Dwarven invention using steam and pressure. One was invented in Hellenistic Greece so its very much a possibility. Not able to be made in RP.
    • Gears - Basic must due to Clockwork. Would need a smith to make, but not too difficult since its a commonly needed component.
    • Palla Laluz - Elven in origin, a rod of glass filled with powders that burn white and bright for hours when activated, usually by turning the bottom where a flint sparks off a piece of steel. Aka End Rods explained in a way other than "fancy candles" since we have candle textured Redstone Torches for that.

• Winner Winner x 1
    #2 Conflee, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  3. FireFan96

FireFan96 Ever present, Ever seeing Staff Member Lore2

I like the concept, but I'd keep to the essentials. There are some technologies that don't have a wiki page, and articles that could be updated with a standardized format, but that's for another day.

I think the regal should be added as a page just to get an idea of the money used every day. It's a staple of rp, and would be nice to read about. I wouldn't read about farming equipment, because farming RP doesn't exist.

Overall, I like the concept though. Just needs to wait a bit for this flora/fauna project to be over with.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. leafnosedbat

leafnosedbat juice thought. Supremium

Before anything else in the vein of Alchemy, Alchemy's proficiency progression has to be updated. We still don't know how concoction difficulty relates to the new proficiency system, there's still just a big "UPDATING" on the School of Alchemy page.

#4 leafnosedbat, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  5. Conflee

The idea for this is mostly to lay out the groundwork and get about a dozen pages made, so that after that point staff can open up other technology to Prompts similar to how Animals and Plants are done now, so that it can be expanded upon over time. Essentials first I agree, but eventually having background lore on a ton of stuff would just be great Imo.

6. Conflee

Added more tech suggestions to the second post.

7. CnocBride

CnocBride Former leader of Enigma.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Erzly

Erzly artsonist

yesssssss please unblur my technology line....

9. LumosJared

LumosJared Around

Late update. We are undergoing such a project and will use your suggestions moving forward. Thank you!

• Immersive Immersive x 1
    • Powerful Powerful x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Conflee

• Chariots.