Archived 'superfactions' - More Than Just Allies

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.

Alex33212

Refugee
Reaction score
Faction
Aincrad
Kingdom
Tyberia(?)
I've had this idea bouncing around in my head for a while, and I've finally gotten around to sharing it. I feel that it would be a nice addition to the server, as well as help with the logistics of spontaneous large, multi-faction PvP events.

The best way to describe it would be factions for factions. Faction leaders would be able to create these Alliances, and other faction leaders can choose to join them. Like factions, Alliances would have a leader and various permission levels. Unlike factions, however, the roles would be filled by factions, not individuals. Individual permissions would be a combination of their faction's perms in the alliance and their individual perms in their faction. For example, the Leader faction's leader would have the highest permissions, while their officers would probably have permission settings around those of the "officer" factions' leaders. Graphic:
sAtjjvt.png

That is all I have so far. I would greatly appreciate it if the community helps improve this idea, so feel free to leave feedback!

Last edited:
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
From what I read, it seems like this can already be done with the current permission groups. All I saw was basically make a faction, but instead of members, there's composed of even more factions.

I don't see the need to do anything with the current system, as it's basically the same thing as an alliance. Would said "mega faction" have it's own claims? And if so, does this mean factions have to pay double tax? One for their faction and one for the mega one?

I kinda see how this works. In the towny plugin, you'd have a nation other towns could join. But it still was basically just a glorified Alliance with the added bonus of some extra claims. But for factions, this doesn't seem any different from the current system.

All I can say is add some more details on how the actual breakup of said "mega faction" is done. Because all I see is the same thing as an alliance.

From what I read, it seems like this can already be done with the current permission groups. All I saw was basically make a faction, but instead of members, there's composed of even more factions.

I don't see the need to do anything with the current system, as it's basically the same thing as an alliance. Would said "mega faction" have it's own claims? And if so, does this mean factions have to pay double tax? One for their faction and one for the mega one?

I kinda see how this works. In the towny plugin, you'd have a nation other towns could join. But it still was basically just a glorified Alliance with the added bonus of some extra claims. But for factions, this doesn't seem any different from the current system.

All I can say is add some more details on how the actual breakup of said "mega faction" is done. Because all I see is the same thing as an alliance.

Added a graphic; hope it helps my idea get across better!

It's been discussed before. We called it "empires". I think lots of people liked it, some arguments against it were the fact that it would discourage pvp in a sense because alliances would be so large that contained battles would no longer be possible. So while the pvp factions would love the 20v20 fights, a regular faction vs faction conflict would no longer be possible.

Alright, now I see the idea. And I like it.

Only problem is how the recruit tier works, as Recruit Faction Officers having the same perms as the Founding Faction's members is a bit odd.

Alright, now I see the idea. And I like it.

Only problem is how the recruit tier works, as Recruit Faction Officers having the same perms as the Founding Faction's members is a bit odd.
It would be the FF's recruits, not members. Keep in mind the usual perms given to recruits in large factions - or rather, the lack thereof.

Such a system, while it's core idea is fascinating, I agree, can get over complicated really quickly. To help you develop this idea, I would suggest working on the general aspects and keeping it as simple as possible while as feature rich as necessary.

Some questions that might help you:
  • What is the main goal of those Empires/Superfactions? Is it land distribution, war, safety or permission distribution? Are those aspects covered in your suggestion?
    • Also, are there other means to achieve those main goals of super-factions? Is there an easier solution/suggestion?
  • What should Superfactions be? Do they just exist on "paper" or do they have a physical representation (land)? Are there any benefits in being in such a superfaction? Are there rights and duties perhaps?
  • How do you want to affect gameplay on the server with this suggestion? Would it make it the game more enjoyable, more complex for those who want that complexity, beneficial to those digging deep into the superfaction system?

The technical side (the implementation) is a tremendous amount of work and is no priority, but with the intention to give us food for thought when we are getting there, this suggestion has potential. It hits the "factions are getting bigger and bigger" spot right there and tries another angle at it. So keep on discussing and refining this suggestion. If you need any input, give me a heads up and I'll drop in.