Summer Planning For Regalia/roleplay

Discussion in 'General' started by MonMarty, Jun 17, 2020.

1. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

It's been a few weeks now since the Clicker Crisis Progression came to a conclusion. We're overall very satisfied with this first foray back into "world progressions" that have been sadly absent from the server for many years prior to its start. There will be a new major progression at some point in the future, but we need a big of a cool down from this one, and in the meantime the event staff members will continue to host smaller story progressions for smaller groups. In the wake of the Clicker Crisis, we discussed reworking Imperial Isle, and then redoing each district one by one to adapt to the new needs of the playerbase. As the conversation ball got rolling however, we quickly came to the conclusion that it would in fact be better to just build Regalia V6 straight off the bat. And that's what's being planned for summer.

Before we started, we concluded the following:
    • The disconnect between Crookback and Regalia is unpleasant right now. Either the majority of the players is in one place or the other, and due to the geography of it all, it is actually hard to find roleplay, causing people to jump around aimlessly.
    • Businesses in the city have a hard time centralizing, and customers have a hard time actually finding these businesses that are open.
    • Many buildings in the city are currently unused. Many of the houses are too large, they are so large in square block mileage that the whole city becomes larger and less walk-friendly as a result.
    • Because of the size of the streets and the houses, there is no spontaneous street or business roleplay besides the players who intentionally seek out these businesses on demand.
    • Long story short, Regalia V5 succeeded in catering to the needs of the playerbase 2 years ago, but it is starting to get rusty, and is not evolving along with the needs of the players. While the Allar for example were hugely important a year back, their population has crashed, resulting in a really underused district taking up a lot of time.
    Here are the immediate plans for Regalia V6 (which are not 100% set in stone yet, but largely)
    • Crookback is being moved to Regalia as a proper outer district This means that the Regalian Roleplay Sphere is being merged back together into a single large city with outlying hotspots, but not 2 major separated entities anymore.
    • Regalia will be built in a multi-level design (using verticality, staircases, etc.), starting with nobles and wealthy housing at a higher level, looking out over the common and business districts at the middle level, which in itself looks out over the outer districts commonly referred to as the non-human/poor/slum/crookback/harbor districts for the more seedy population of Regalia.
    • This will all be built on an entirely new island map, with an increased number of biomes for variety on hotspot design. Bo2 usage for map generation will also be improved for better surroundings.
    • A small section of sewers will be built under the outer districts, but not strictly speaking "to live in", but rather just to move around in.
    • Clandestine bases and Noble Estates will be pulled closer to the city, but still retain a "moderate distance", especially when those Clandestine bases can only thrive due to their difficult reachability.
    • A lot of public buildings are being terminated from existence for lack of use to save space, us wishing to encourage players to make these kind of business buildings instead. Think for example of the bath house. A player can rent a business region and build a public bath house service in there, instead of using a building once every month that will stay empty for the rest of the year.
    • Housing will be made slightly smaller. Think 11x11 instead of 13x13. We will also enforce house ownership laws more thoroughly, ejecting survival house owners who don't use their houses, or houses that have been unused for X amount of months.
    • All businesses will be forced into the business district. There will be no more businesses or shops outside of that district, and staff will manage shop ownership to ensure activity. There will be an exception for the "Crookback" outer district where less savory buisnesses can be established outside of the Business District.
    • All food related businesses will be moved to the heart of the business district to the so called "Golden Willow Plaza". The implication is there: There will be no Golden Willow Tavern in V6, a first in Massive's 10 year history. We want to create a common terrace of seating/park, and have that surrounded by pubs and food businesses so that eatery RP can always be found at one centralized area.
    • Spawn of the city will be in the harbor district "fresh off the boat", requiring one to walk through the city gates and all the way up the central boulevard to ascend to the common/noble districts.
    • The Imperial Palace will make its return. There are currently still discussions on whether the noble estates should actually be apartments inside the palace, instead of standalone buildings. That isn't quite certain yet.
    • Large buildings that serve no purpose (like the Cathedral) will receive user friendly micro versions. They will be large enough to rp in with ~30 people, but not contain so much empty unused space, surviving more off verticality than horizontal space usage.
    Regarding Crime Versus Guards
    • We believe that the amount of guards should be limited, as it is currently stifling rp. We came up with this theory that there exists a correlation between amount of guards reducing the amount of crimes, reducing the amount of crime dealt with per guard, reducing the fun factor for everyone involved. As such. We will impose a ~50 total limit of Guards in the city. This means that of the current 4 Chapters, each will be permitted to have a total of 13 members (medical staff and non combat staff not included, but it does include commanders and leaders). Each subsequent new Charter will cannibalize member limits from the others. By capping the total number of guards to a reasonable level and limiting each charter to a reasonable goonsquad size, we hope criminals will find more encouragement to do crime, but also that each guard will proportionally get more crime to deal with since they don't have to fight over 1/2 arrests each week.
    • Crime doesn't pay, in the literal sense. We're going to make crime pay. Sure you can burgle and you can pickpocket, but all of it is just funny money in comparison to the world system which has regal sheets. To facilitate this, there will be a once weekly Emporium where an Arken Herald fences items stolen. This can be for example paintings as they were sold recently to nobility, or artifacts, or even just normal stuff. There will be bounties such as "rob x amount of houses" and "mob xyz noble person" or "mob xyz crime lord in the street". Essentially, the (dark) Emporium will reward success in criminal activies through system Regals which can also be redeemed in progressions by bartering with nobles or other organizations that have need for money, or to buy IC information from the Arken, or to even buy much coveted Artifacts. Long story short, we need to attach a positive experience to committing crime beyond the crime itself. We will also re-sell all the contraband back to the players at bargain prices to prevent for example a rare painting from just being lost. All items should remain in circulation. The Dark Emporium should also be accessible for guards should they want to go undercover and bargain for a lead to a criminal who stole something that they are stumped on.
    • Speaking of guards, guards will eventually be let back into the sewers/Crookback on missions from their commanders, but out of their official armor and in a more mercenary style capacity. This will follow some weeks after the hard limit on guards is enabled, so as to prevent a sudden culture shock. That being said, with Regalia V6 becoming a thing, the Guards may not want to venture too deep or too far.
    • We're going to even the playing field between the Guards and the "Oppressed". Much of Crookback/Old Town is not really "Criminal" roleplay per se. It's just people who don't want to live in a racist magic fearing Regalia, and as such opts to live less glamorously for more personal liberties. This concept is being carried to the outer districts of Regalia V6 which are "Part of the Empire, but maintain their own Law". There will be a District Militia Law page reflecting the Regalian Law page (which applies to Common/Upper Districts). The outer Districts can have their own Militia enforcing their own law with their own prison, and should such a situation arrive that guards are brutalizing people in the outer district in violation of their laws, these guards may find themselves under arrest and subject to a prisoner exchange between the outer district and the Violet Order City Guard of the upper district. Essentially, equalize the playing field by giving "Crookback" its own guard force with its own laws that are appropriate for the population of Regalia wishing to live in Regalia but not in the Empire's chokehold, including but not limited to executing a guard by Lore Staff approval in the same way Guards are allowed to execute criminals with Lore Staff approval. Equalize the playing field. We reason this in that the city of Regalia canonically has 4 million inhabitants, far too many for the Government to enforce. As such the Emperor lets the lower (poorer) districts police themselves with their own law and their own prisons.
    • There is too much crime vs guard activity, and too little crime vs crime activity. While many crime groups gravitate to like each other, we're going to be handing out rewards for competing through the Dark Emporium. We can reduce the guard aggro by making Crime rp be less about anarchy RP and more about prestige/power balance rp in the outer districts.
    • There is a perception flaw in players that criminal characters have an absolute expiry date. We're going to codify a page on the Wiki where the whole process of playing a criminal/underground character without them ever getting executed is explained. It will for example feature a flow chart that clearly states "If you don't do this, you have no fear of being executed".
    • Lots more. Lots more. We're planning more Events, kicking up the World System for major progressions in the Wider World, new Artifacts in rotation, new Race lore (3 new races coming down the line), reworks for all existing races to add more content and make them better, rebalances for existing kits, etc etc etc and more.
    All in all, Regaliav5 is neat, but it has served its purpose, and with Regaliav6 come new opportunities and new ways to funnel roleplay to make it better on MassiveCraft. Massive always believes in the idea of rebuilding and re-inventing its own content to keep things new and fresh, and we're still committed to improving the guard and criminal rp back and forth so both are functional stand alone experiences instead of a constant tug of war over who is more powerful than the other due to rule changes. Moving forward, it's going to be more about "giving" them stuff, instead of "taking it away or rule restricting it". Exciting stuff on the planning for the summer, we're expecting progress reports on Regalia V6 (which will be built on a separate server to reduce lag issues) in the coming weeks.

• Winner x 71
    • Powerful x 14
    • Thank You! x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Immersive x 1
    • Cuddles! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  2. CRASHIR

CRASHIR The Antagonist Premium

Wow, these changes are simply all A+. I’m excited for the future of these!

• Agree Agree x 9
  3. FeralGayWalnut

FeralGayWalnut Lesbian Worst Enemy

Three knew races?? I’m very excited to see them. :eyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. CharmedHexes

CharmedHexes Refugee Supremium

These sound amazing. I do have to pull the b***h card though and ask what is the expected release date? Also, will this change occur IC as part of the restoration after the Clicker Crisis itself? Regardless, I'm eager to see this and am happy as a player with two business running characters.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. DrFong

DrFong The Knave of Rats Supremium

I see a lot of positive changes here that should help the community. Well done!

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. AtticCat

AtticCat haeksen van regalia

PLEASE... imperial palace apartments...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Spookmas

Spookmas Aggressively Friendly
    1. Nommy's Cookie Convention

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. hawkeye1621

hawkeye1621 Sam Airev

Ooooo. These changes sound amazing! I'm even more encouraged to play my characters now (One works at a cafe, the other a thief and both will be positively impacted by the change.)

I am also curious about the new races. I'm thoroughly excited about this!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Yoggery

Yoggery Nelfin Nationalist

omg....
    I'M EXCITED

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Mettappiness

Mettappiness Professional Egg

HYPEEEE!!

The whole "arriving by boat" thing reminds me of one of the past versions (I can't remember which) and I feel it suits it much better than just starting at the Golden Willow.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. FlossyBerryRene

FlossyBerryRene Seven Of Swords Lie's, Betrayal & Deception. Staff Member PR2

I'm so exicted!

• Educated Educated x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. CharmedHexes

That was V4, I'm pretty sure also V3 after the initial world spawn was done away with. And before it was v5 before the Golden Willow was moved to the tp area.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  13. Anseran

Anseran Draga Ifrit Devout

Oh damn. Looking forward to when this is released B)

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1
  14. PapidaCarrot

PapidaCarrot You betcha Supremium

yes.gif

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Powerful Powerful x 1
  15. HeyitsNano

HeyitsNano The Antagonist

Cool changes. Eager to see the results.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. rimacutem

rimacutem Local dwarf

Smaller progressions? Race rewrites?

Excited dwarven yelling

17. Speedl0rd

Speedl0rd getting closer Supremium
    1. The Insani Inquisition

gonna miss the bath house......

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ryria

Ryria i amne jusst a litle creechr
    1. -=[❂]=- The Mithril Clique -=[❂]=-

While I love all of the personalised noble estates, I really enjoy the idea of apartments in the Imperial Palace. I think that it would be a really nice way for more “oh, I’m bumping into you!” roleplay that isn’t strictly just maintained to an @tag for someone being in the noble lounge. Big supporter for all of this, it sounds very exciting (:

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Shibani

Shibani A totally serious person.

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes giphy.gif

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Gwyndo

Gwyndo Scottish Egg

oh no Im gonna lose my house...

oh yes I'm probably gonna have a real Crookback/slum house in the new city :D

21. uhgly

uhgly dabs

oh god, V5 really did come out two years ago. Anyways, looking forward to this, once it comes!

• Like Like x 1
  22. ZiggyStarDusted

ZiggyStarDusted Beware: Will explain deep Bionicle lore to you.

[​IMG]

Everything I wanted from a quality of life update and more,,,

23. diCardinale

diCardinale MassiveCraft's token ethnic Supremium

poordistrictpoordistrictpoordistrictpoordistrictpoordistrictpoordistrictpoordistrict

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. LeafMC

LeafMC For-Profit Prophet

These all sound like really positive changes. Looking forward to seeing them in the coming months.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Legoclub22

Legoclub22 The Antagonist's Right-Hand

I've said it before, I'll say it again-

Encourage Landlording!
    Large, expensive regions would probably work very well to encourage much more close domestic RP. Instead of everyone owning one or more houses, why not have more than one person per house? Not only would it allow the city to have less unused houses, but it would increase the likelihood of 'Neighbor RP'!
    Who doesn't want to have scummy landlord RP?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  26. DrFong

DrFong The Knave of Rats Supremium

Poor District pride forever!

• Powerful Powerful x 3
  27. CharmedHexes

I'm simply imagining how much of a shitshow upper class apartments will be, especially if the nelfin races get lumped together. Fun times ahead!

28. Kyriosus

Kyriosus School’s being rough, sorry for inactivity :(

Looking forward to some awesome changes!

• Creative Creative x 1
  29. JResurrected

JResurrected Broken On the Stone

Thank you for your planning and hardwork @Staff Roleplay This does sound exciting!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1