Answered Staff Question - Faction Rule: Treat Other Players Fairly In Factions

Discussion in 'PVP Q&A' started by fable50, Dec 22, 2020.

1. fable50

fable50

Question Type:
    Staff Question
    Subject:
    Faction Rule: Treat Other Players Fairly In Factions
    Question:
    Earlier today there was a commotion because Player A invited B and others, to an unofficial fishing party hosted at Player A's faction territory.

Player B was fishing when amongst the others were Enemies of Player B. They killed Player B and looted.

I heard that staff won't touch it but why? This is almost exactly like the first thing mentioned under the rule. If Player A had invited B and Others with the intent of ganking wouldn't this definitely break the rule?

The rule mentions no scamming does this not extend to peace gatherings for all?

Edit: added party to the section above and when making a spontaneous party/event about a peaceful activity does it without saying so in the invite have a no pvp rule? I don't want to be tricked into thinking so just to get dog piled like the above example.

#1 fable50, Dec 22, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  2. TakeDown__

TakeDown__ Faction hopper since '15

Heya @fable50,

We as staff try to intervene as little as possible when it comes to player’s gameplay. This is why in the past we have not fixed player mistakes. We believe these cases to be up to the player and part of the faction experience. We want the players to have a certain autonomy. When players want to have a peaceful gathering, that is totally possible through asking staff to take the proper precautions and turn PvP off in a world that is full of dangers. There is a section for that on the forums to give staff the proper time to set up all those things. You can find that here.

In this case, a request to turn the area of the fishing party into a no-PVP zone was not received. If the event is not staff protected, anything within the rules of Survival can occur because it’s factions, where PvP is allowed. We as staff view the situation as a legal player run event in which we do not intervene unless server rules are broken.

In your question you also talked about scamming. We use the term scamming in regards to monetary or material transactions. For example when you and another player make a trade deal and one of you does not hold up to their end of the predetermined deal. This case isn’t classified as scamming because it isn’t a transaction, but rather an event that gone poorly not under staff protection. A lot of people lose their items in places they believe are safe because of something they didn’t know. For example a 1/4th empty block through a stair that players can pearl through.

I hope to have given you enough information. Let me know if you have any future questions.

3. fable50

fable50

So if I created an event with an explicit no PvP rule but not staff protected. Is it alright for me to invite players whether directly or indirectly for the purpose of killing and looting?

Edit:
    Getting the impression that event rules are about if you can do it, it is allowed.
    Still unsure about faction rules.

4. fable50

fable50

The original scenario feels like a violation of the core rule of treating others with respect and do not run around ruining the atmosphere. I'm now getting a sense that is medieval rp atmosphere. While the looters disrespecting the host's attempt for a peaceful get together. And by killing player B damaged the pretense of peace that I originally thought does not require a staff presence to enforce the social expection by controlling game mechanics. Sorry for the double post going to leave it be.

5. The_Fluorspar

The_Fluorspar

Breaking social conventions can get you ostracized from the community but it's not against server rules. If you wanted to set up an event that is secretly an ambush you can do so. Deceit and betrayal are part of medieval roleplay. Often these events have player guards as well, trying to keep the peace. The server has a long history of player events going sideways and leading to new wars and alliances, producing some of our fondest memories. Within factions, being killed is an ever looming danger and does not violate rule 1.

6. TakeDown__

TakeDown__ Faction hopper since '15

hey @fable50,

There is a difference between something being morally wrong, causing an outburst by players, and something being against the rules. This situation was the former. No server rules were broken. As staff it’s our duty to enforce the rules, a lot of players lose their items everyday due to PvP. This isn’t anything different. When you create an event, you want it to be fun and enjoyable. There are 2 ways of doing that, either making sure it’s staff protected so no one dies, or making sure you’re not inviting PvPers and making sure the location is secure, so no one can get in.

There is a reason why we as staff have given players the option to get their player hosted events turned peaceful. We as staff know that anything can happen in factions and that people on that occasion, don’t want to worry about losing their items or some PvPer coming in. The tools are ready to be used, you just have to grasp them.

While I don’t see anything wrong with creating an event with a no PvP rule and then inviting people to come PvP, if you want a reputable status on the server and you want people to join your events in the future, I’d advise against it.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

7. fable50

fable50

Ok so the only social conventions that can't be broken are the literal text of the rules. The only rule that I may have confusion about.
    • Treat other players fairly in factions. Do not invite them just to kick and steal from them. Do not engage in scamming, and do not use the Factions plugin to ridicule or make them feel miserable.
    1. Is this a rule against joining factions to spy on for your true loyalty? (doubt it)
    2. Does this rule protect players from having their construction/building work rewarded with a kick upon completion? It isn't a stealing an item but time and effort were expended.
    Does the general rp rule listed below apply to the second question?
    • Do not steal, copy, modify or re-use skins (or other content) belonging to other players without their consent. Also, do not use skins or builds that are clearly meant to evoke an erotic or racist sentiment.

8. Jalapeno690

Jalapeno690 Doge of Helvetica

9. qgmk

qgmk Leader of Magnanimus Staff Member Game3
    1. Magnanimus

You can join any faction to spy on them as long as you do it on your main account. If it is done on an alt account it is illegal.
    If a clear deal is made involving payment for construction, and instead they are kicked without payment, it is illegal.
    The RP rule of stealing is in regards to copying an existing build. If a player builds something in a faction, the owner of the faction has the right to do as he/she pleases with it.

10. fable50

fable50

What is required to have this thread question labeled as answered? Do I need to do anything else?

11. qgmk

qgmk Leader of Magnanimus Staff Member Game3
    1. Magnanimus

Nope! That's all. Let us know if you have any more questions.