Somewhere Only We Know

Milo was beaten. He was worn and frayed,just an empty shell of the man he once was. The only comfort he had now was his voice and even that sometimes couldn't help his shattered soul. In a barley audible tone,he began to sing, eyes unfocused as he stared up at the ceiling above his bed.
"I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by they river, and it made me complete."
He missed running through the fields,feeling the wind rush against his body and the grass tickle at his unprotected shins. Splashing in the streams, coming home drenched with a smile on his face and mud sticking to his shorts and bare chest. Rolling down hills until he couldn't walk straight from the dizziness, dandelion seeds swirling around him.
"Oh, simple thing, where have you gone?
I'm getting old, and I need something to rely on
So tell me when you're gonna let me in
I'm getting tired, and I need somewhere to begin."
His eyes drifted shut,a single tear rolling down the young boys cheek as he rolled over slightly, a pillow cradling his head as a blanket hugged his body.
"I cams across a fallen tree
I felt the branches of it looking at me
Is this the place we used to love?
Is this the place I've been dreaming of?"
A shakey hand reached up to wipe the tear away, scrubbing his eyes a little to stop any others escaping. He didn't want to be seen crying,for crying was for weak people, and he was not weak. Weakness was a sign of failure and giving up,but Milo hadn't failed it given up, he was just tired. The sleepless nights and the days full of trying to stay awake were getting to him and the nightmares,the nightmares were the root of all this. He couldn't close his eyes for the fear of it all returning, those things he didn't want to see again,the things he tried to forget.
I'm getting tired, and I need somewhere to begin
And if you have a minute, why don't we go
Talk about it somewhere only we know
This could be the end of everything
So why don't we go
Somewhere only we know?"
It wasn't his fault he was hurting inside. It wasn't his fault at all, though Milo still blamed himself for everything that went wrong in his life. The sparkles that had once lit up his eyes were no more,gone, as if they were blown out like the flame of a candle.
I'm getting tired, and I need somewhere to begin"
He curled up into himself and pulled the blanket further up his body,it being the more worn down type he was used to,rather than the soft fuzzy ones he was given to start with. Milo preffered the second hand or the hand me down items,as he knew it wasn't as likely to be stolen from him or have it taken away because 'a street rat like him didn't deserve such things' so the young boy just stuck with what he was used to. His voice sounded an octave higher as it cracked and he gave a small cough as he sung,the words coming out slightly strangled as he did.
"And if you have a minute, why don't we go
Talk about it somewhere only we know
So why don't we go?
So why don't we go?
So why don't we go
Somewhere only we know
Somewhere only we know
Somewhere only we know."
With a yawn that raked his entire body Milo forced his eyes open once more and continued to stare at the ceiling,the skin beneath his eyes slowly tinting purple as the night wore on.

This song always reminded me of the Christmas advert John Lewis would play a few christmas' back,probably in 2015/16? I don't really know but I remember my Moma has played the song every year since and is a sort of resemblance of my childhood,in a way,and I wanted to use that part of my childhood in Milo's. This song holds a little piece of my heart in it as we were always happy when it was played,there were always freshly baked cornish pasties and mince pies with clotted creams and it's just as part of me really,and influenced the way I grew up as a person. Anyways I've rambled on a little I suppose so, peace out.
-Kaiden

Last edited: