Archived Set Character Description /desc Use

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Feyona

Lord
Reaction score
Similar to the /nick us command, I believe a /desc use would definitely be beneficial to roleplay. We could set a short description for whatever character we're using for updates, such as my current character is wearing bloodstained clothes. In 50 words or less I could say something like
'Rose is looking rather tired today, and one of her pants legs is ripped, bandages on her knee under it, the area around the ripped fabric is covered in dried blood.'

That way before a roleplay a person can do a quick /seen Feyona or /seen [Character Name Here], read the description, and be able to start off with something quickly like 'god what happened to you?'

Descriptions would be a great way to see primary changes on a character before the roleplay begins, to notice any new features or updates about them without having to assume there's no change, or be told out of character (metagame) that something happened?

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I swear I've heard this idea somewhere, though this is a good idea x3

I support this but where would you see it? I mean, it couldn't be like a nick name where it floats above their head and it'd be rather a nuisance to /check desc Zero_00 or whoever whenever i want to Role-Play with them just to see if there's anything changed.

I support this but where would you see it? I mean, it couldn't be like a nick name where it floats above their head and it'd be rather a nuisance to /check desc Zero_00 or whoever whenever i want to Role-Play with them just to see if there's anything changed.
That's a sacrifice you'd have to make to have the luxury of knowing their current appearance, you lazy bones :P

As long as one has to do a /show/seen/etc, as described, I think this would be a very useful addition. It's likely going to be used by some for things like trade or simply to be offensive, but I suspect the good would outweigh the annoying.

levers

Sounds like a good idea. And since most of the code for it is already in a MassiveCraft plugin in another form, I think it wouldn't (keyword 'I think') be that hard to code... (Probably just copy and change the inputs for the ./nick command then create a field for it in the ./seen command)

To follow up on this, I think it would be sort of cool that in 1.8 how with the new redstone floating tags, insted of signs, players could ask a mod to make a tag like in the park sayin [Hedges are neatly trimmed] instead of a sign
Click "Like" if you think this is a good idea

Sounds like a good idea. And since most of the code for it is already in a MassiveCraft plugin in another form, I think it wouldn't (keyword 'I think') be that hard to code... (Probably just copy and change the inputs for the ./nick command then create a field for it in the ./seen command)
You are correct. I could make this plugin (would require its own command) in 15 minutes or less (but I am lazy so it would take 20). Though if Cay make it it can be integrated with the /seen command.

I like it though it's not really necessary.

Due to the emotive chat this can simply be interpreted by: rose drags her exhausted body into the tavern her right pant let torn and her knee smothered with bandages seemingly housing dried blood

I support this fully.

Sometimes when I come into rp, I never know what that person is doing at the time, there could be bloodstains on the person and I'd have no idea, since they never told me, etc..

I like it though it's not really necessary.

Due to the emotive chat this can simply be interpreted by: rose drags her exhausted body into the tavern her right pant let torn and her knee smothered with bandages seemingly housing dried blood
I disagree with you on that second point, because writing your description in the emote chat requires an active action from you, you kinda force the other to see your description. With this method on the contrary, the others would need to look at you, which has different RP implication.

Example : you commit a murder and try to go unnoticed. You could say on emote channel that you have blood on your clothes, but that's actually like saying "hey look at me I've killed someone!"
Oooor you could update your description saying you have blood on your clothes, and thus people would have to look at you to notice something is odd with you. You could go unnoticed, or you could get caught, depending on if others look at you or not. Now there's more thrill :D There could even be vigilante groups setting up, looking at people to see if they look suspicious (or depressed and offer them flowers :3)

I disagree with you on that second point, because writing your description in the emote chat requires an active action from you, you kinda force the other to see your description. With this method on the contrary, the others would need to look at you, which has different RP implication.

Example : you commit a murder and try to go unnoticed. You could say on emote channel that you have blood on your clothes, but that's actually like saying "hey look at me I've killed someone!"
Oooor you could update your description saying you have blood on your clothes, and thus people would have to look at you to notice something is odd with you. You could go unnoticed, or you could get caught, depending on if others look at you or not. Now there's more thrill :D There could even be vigilante groups setting up, looking at people to see if they look suspicious (or depressed and offer them flowers :3)

You don't make any sense to me really just because you give off an emote chat doesnt mean they have to look at you and just because you have blood on your clothes doesnt mean you've just murdered someone. It doesn't have to be like: Rowan wandered into the tavern having murdered someone and being covered in their blood.

Also this information can't be used to meta game that he killed someone unless he/she confesses to it or he has the body with him.

Also your point completely contradicts itself. You say if someone says in emote that they have blood on their clothes everyone thinks its a killer whats the difference if its in a "desc"

Furthermore it requires no active action other than a few wordstapped into your keyboard. Sure meta gamers might turn from their conversation to ask why you're all bloody but then people might not bother entering the command every 5 minutes to see what someones condition is like hence rendering the plugin pointless.

I support this fully.

Sometimes when I come into rp, I never know what that person is doing at the time, there could be bloodstains on the person and I'd have no idea, since they never told me, etc..

If its a large roleplay you have to type /seen or /desc for every player hence rendering it bothersome when encountering a crowd. Along with this I don't fancy updating my desc every 5 minute when his mood or expression changes etc just for the convenience for people who want yo jump in if you ask one of the members IC "what seems to be the matter" it should clear it up pretty well. Or if someone seems to be talking slowly walking oddly this mightprovoke the question itself

You don't make any sense to me really just because you give off an emote chat doesnt mean they have to look at you and just because you have blood on your clothes doesnt mean you've just murdered someone. It doesn't have to be like: Rowan wandered into the tavern having murdered someone and being covered in their blood.

Also this information can't be used to meta game that he killed someone unless he/she confesses to it or he has the body with him.

Also your point completely contradicts itself. You say if someone says in emote that they have blood on their clothes everyone thinks its a killer whats the difference if its in a "desc"

Furthermore it requires no active action other than a few wordstapped into your keyboard. Sure meta gamers might turn from their conversation to ask why you're all bloody but then people might not bother entering the command every 5 minutes to see what someones condition is like hence rendering the plugin pointless.
Though, it is extremely annoying when someone is rping with you but you then have to type "e: has no right arm." or if someone doesn't see your current skin, "e: is a naga not a tigran."

Though, it is extremely annoying when someone is rping with you but you then have to type "e: has no right arm." or if someone doesn't see your current skin, "e: is a naga not a tigran."
I firmly agree with you here though so would be updating your desc. Also flicking over some earlier comments the amount if misuse this plugin might receive. But anyway i like the idea i just don't see the point integrating it

OH MY GOD YES! I NEED THESE THAT WOULD BE SO USEFUL! GIVE IT TO GIVE IT NOW NOW
I like it

If its a large roleplay you have to type /seen or /desc for every player hence rendering it bothersome when encountering a crowd. Along with this I don't fancy updating my desc every 5 minute when his mood or expression changes etc just for the convenience for people who want yo jump in if you ask one of the members IC "what seems to be the matter" it should clear it up pretty well. Or if someone seems to be talking slowly walking oddly this mightprovoke the question itself
It is more used when you're joining an existing roleplay, you can't tell if that person is extremely exhausted or if they're covered in blood, or their drunk (sometimes anyways) I feel like their should be a cooldown for it anyways, so you can change it every 10 minutes. Maybe like 30 mins to and hour

I really like this idea, it's a bit daunting at times when someone had to keep adjusting their skin to look the way they are if they're injured or sick- and those who don't sometimes don't tell you they look a certain way and your character should notice them.

Perhaps the way we can solve if people have blood and bandages etc is some custom items to wear etc an arm sling

You are scarecrowing my argument. Of course you wouldn't write "looks like he killed someone", but at least having blood on oneself raises questions. And of course they do not have to look at you but it's still an invitation to do so. That's the difference between the emote and the desc.

It looks like you misunderstand what I mean with "action" or "active". I'm not talking about what you have to do as a player, because in both cases it's words on a keyboard, no difference here, it's about how it come into play IG. Appearance is a passive trait, you are how you are, period, people who look at you will see it, people who don't don't. It's in my sense illogical that you should be the one to provide the information when you walk into the tavern or whatnot, where it should really be for the others to gather it. If you really want people to look at you, you'd rather post an action in the emote chat, like "sighs", or "walks trying to avoid big groups" or something that is actually an action from your character.

You are however in this post and later raising rather constructive points:
  • we should limit the time for changing the description, for the reasons pointed out;
  • Typing /desc for everyone is tedious, but it'd be interesting to have it displayed in a HUD style, thus only necessitating pointing to people. It would require more development though, as it would need a client-side plugin to do so.

This is already in development for the background plugin.

Status
Not open for further replies.