Roleplay Custom Kit Applications

Discussion in 'Build/Permission/Assistance Applications' started by MonMarty, Apr 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This thread details anything you might need to know before applying for a Custom Kit, as well as explaining the system and the process of the application itself. First, the thread will explain what can be applied for, then it will show you how to apply, and then it will give you some hints and tips on what to avoid, explain the procedure, and then highlight some aftercare. This thread is locked. If you have any questions about the process, send in a ticket into the RP Com Discord where Lore staff will help you understand the process.

What is the Custom Kit System?
    While Massivecraft strives to create a fair and balanced Dungeons & Dragons-like system of Abilities and Proficiencies that allow Players a great deal of creative freedom and inspiring choices and options, sometimes the system is too rigid to really enable certain creation fantasies. Custom Kits exist to fill this gap, where Staff Members can create unique sets of Abilities for Players to fill a niche that might be missing. There are several ways this can be achieved through different categories of Custom Kits.

So what can be applied for?

1. Argumentation Kit

An Argumentation Kit is seen as some type of community service, where a Player goes above and beyond just being a customer or user of MassiveCraft, and actively contributes in some testable and verifiable way that is not expected of the common playerbase, to benefit said playerbase. Argumentation Kits add Abilities on top of your existing Proficiency spread, meaning it makes Characters more powerful in exchange for community service. In return, that Argumentation must be clearly defined and agreed upon to be satisfactory by Staff Members. More on what defines an Argumentation below. Argumentation Kits provide 5 Abilities + 1 “Ultimate” ability that is only situationally used, + Mechanics. Modification Kit

2. A Modification Kit
    Unlike an Argumentation Kit, only modifies existing Point Buy slots, rather than adding Abilities on top. The goal here is always to make a system balanced, so if one Ability is made stronger or gets to do something different, it means another Ability has to become weaker, and do something less. Modification Kits do not require an Argumentation, because they don’t make the Character stronger, but it still requires some explanation why the Player thinks it is not possible to achieve the same effect with the current Ability System. Modification Kits can change up to 7 Abilities which you lose in Point Buys to do other things, but where they add functions, they also have to remove functions to keep things balanced.

3.Arrangement Kit
    An Arrangement Kit has nothing to do with Combat Roleplay or Abilities, and is purely about non-standard functions in the world (or Mechanics). Think for example having a custom castle, or a private house in the forest, or some kind of special arrangement with the government or something kind of unique region in the Sewers in which the Player can build. This can also, specifically, include non-instanced Noble Estates. Arrangements still require some kind of logical agreement in which the Staff can assess that the effort put into the request, will be returned with quality roleplay for other players as a result of the arrangement. Arrangement Kits can only ever include Mechanics.

What other kinds of Kits exist?
    1.Fluid Kit

A Fluid Kit has little to do with Combat Roleplay, though in some rare cases can contain Abilities. It is primarily Mechanics which can sometimes affect how a Character engages in Combat Roleplay, but is primarily aimed at creative freedom outside of Roleplay, with increased abilities for a Character during dialogue RP or day to day Roleplay that does not involve Combat. Fluid Kits cannot be applied for, they are only gained by reaching certain milestones in-game through interacting with Profile Event Characters or Dm Characters. Fluid Kits never contain more than 2 Abilities, and mostly contain Mechanics.

TL:DR What kind of Kit should I apply for?

1. I only want Mechanics: Arrangement Kit
    2. I only want a custom region, or estate: Arrangement Kit
    3. I want Abilities and Mechanics, but I want them to modify or change current Abilities, without adding anything above my current 14: Modification Kit
    3. I want Abilities, but I want additional, unique Abilities past my current 14: Argumentation Kit.

How do I apply?
    So let's first open this Form, which you will be filling out for the actual application, and then we'll go through each step:

https://forums.massivecraft.com/forms/custom-kit-application.55/respond

You should carefully read this entire thread, as well as the form before pressing submit, so try keeping this open. If you accidently submitted the form too soon or aren't sure that the form made it through correctly, dm @Birdsfoot_Violet or send in a Discord ticket on the RP Com Discord, and she can help you verify. Now, onto the steps of the application:

1. First, enter your username and discord name. This should obviously be your current username, but you may also put additional alts between brackets behind your main username. If you have recently changed your username (say in the last month or so), it would be good courtesy to write (previously: so and so) in there as well. Your discord username is so we may contact you with the ticket bot. If you cannot be contacted, we cannot give you a response.
    2. Character Sheet is only necessary if you have one, but it does help the staff make a better decision. Generally it is recommended you apply for a perm for a pre-existing character, not to apply for a perm for a character that does not even exist yet, but it is possible if you have a really good pitch.
    3. “What type of Kit are you applying for?" This is a simple drop-down choice box. We do not allow singular applications to include different kinds of kits, and especially ask that players do not apply for one type and then also say "if I don't get approved for that, this other type instead."
    4. “What are your Ability, Mechanic, and/or Arrangement requests?” This is the section where you write what kind of functions you are looking for out of a custom kit, which can be vague, or specific ideas. Keep in mind that we cannot promise that we will grant or fulfill all requests in this section, even for accepted kits. There are some concepts that just don't work, due to no fault of the player.
    5. “What is your Argumentation?” This is the section where you write your Argumentation, in clear words for Lore Staff to judge and review. Please do not use buzzwords, or over-explain your concept.
    As a final note, Please DO NOT write full abilities on your applications. We do not permit players to submit pre-written Abilities. If you very deeply want a specific ability or a more enhanced ability that already exists, simply refer to the Ability List name like "As a note, I would like a better version of Magic Bolt" or something like this. Never put fully written out Abilities on your application.

What happens after I click Submit?
    You will be redirected to the Forums main page, and the thread will be sent to a locked section on the forums that only the Staff can access. From there, the Application will be reviewed on the Sunday staff Meeting. This means all applications will not be finally decided upon until Sunday, and sometimes not until the following Sunday, if certain staff members are not present to weigh in on aspects of lore.

If an application is rejected, a Ticket will be sent to you explaining why. This will usually be because the concept just doesn't work, but it may also be because you recently broke server rules, or don't match up to the conduct necessary for a Custom Kit. The details should be in the message and should give you a clear vision of what to work towards. You can always apply again later.

If an application is Accepted, Staff will contact the player after Sunday, and then inform them of what has been accepted, and give them further details leading to when they can be used in roleplay.

It is very important to have a constructive attitude when you go through this process. A lore staff member may be very critical of you and say to you face to face that your roleplay is not up to scratch, or that you have too bad of a reputation, or that the idea just won't work. All Lore Staff will try their hardest to be constructive and precise about why an application cannot be accepted, but you should also remain optimistic and solution oriented in that response. When you apply for a Custom Kit, there is an unwritten disclaimer that you will remain respectful in the process, and take the response in stride, making changes where necessary to improve your position. The whole process is private, and how a Lore Staff member proceeds to deal with your application is between them and you. No other players will be informed, and your privacy will be protected. That being said, if you feel mistreated, you can navigate to the Staff Complaints section at the bottom of the forums and request a review of the procedure.

What happens if my application is Accepted?
    If your application is Accepted, you will be contacted for any final information gathering before the next step occurs.

Lore Staff will, most likely at the Sunday Meeting, determine based on your concept and application the final "shape" your Kit will take. Once this concept has been distilled, you will be contacted again with it. It is at this point you can say, "No, I don't want to play that," or, "I like that." It is important to both be honest and flexible in this step, as while we may be willing to re-negotiate at this point, the option will not be available later on.

Once the concept has been solidified, the kit will be written by Lore Staff. Once completed, you will be tagged with it in #Custom Kit Announce. Again, it is important to give honest feedback on the kit at this time, as there will be a small window for allowed changes, but once that window is closed, we do not allow for drastic changes without strong reasoning as to why.

What should I avoid in my application?
    First of all, do not think Lore Staff enjoy rejecting players. Nobody enjoys just rejecting players from something they want and think they deserve/need/could use to help others. Staff do not enjoy being confrontational, and many of them are just as anxious about your response to their critique, as you are anxious to their critique. Try to remain respectful and empathetic.

Sometimes, past community service itself is good enough for a Custom Kit. Running a group and handing out tasks/roleplay to that group, giving them something to be engaged with is a "community service" in and of itself. Making skins, art, and other commercial activities are not community service, nor is running a shop. The only exception to this is making Free to Use Skins for the "Massivelooks" tag on Planet Minecraft, or creating things that are available for all the community to use. If you are unsure if something is community service or not, send in a ticket and ask.

Try not to bend the lore too much. While many apps can have creative liberty, lore is written the way it is written, and while some leeway is given, you should respect the lore if you want it to reward you back with good roleplay.

How are Custom Kits tracked and Moderated?
    Because we hold Custom Kits holders to a higher standard of activity and conduct (Both OOCly and ICly) there are a few extra rules and routes to consider for both Custom Kits holders and the players who interact with them.

A Custom Kits holder can, at any time, contact Lore Staff through a ticket on the RP com discord or a Forum DM to ask for an "activity and argumentation check." What this means is that Lore Staff will state whether or not the Custom Kits Holder is considered active by our standards, and if it is believed they are currently upholding their argumentation to a satisfactory degree.

A Custom Kit holder should inform Lore Staff when they will be going on an extended trip or vacation from massive, or when their activity will decline due to IRL circumstances.

Any Player can, at any point, make a Player Report against a Custom Kit Holder to report rule breaking, unpleasant, or other behavior described above that is not appropriate for a Custom Kits holder to engage in. While it is not against the rules for most players to be rude or argumentative, we try to hold Custom Kit holders to a higher standard of behavior. We will treat all reports seriously and investigate them to the best of our ability.

Any Player can, at any point, request elaboration on the status of a Custom Kits , if there is anything about it that is unclear to them. These questions can be in the vein of: how does this ability work? How does this ability interact with y ability? This Custom Kit holder did this to me in RP, is that correct? (We may decline to answer certain questions if we consider them to be too "gamey" and hypothetical, rather than something that is pertinent to RP.)

Where can I see the current list of Custom Kits?

On the repository, which is HERE.

Any questions? Send in an RP Com Discord Ticket.

• Powerful Powerful x 5
    #1 MonMarty, Apr 2, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2024 at 8:55 PM
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.