Archived Rework And Improvements For Questing And Massivemagic

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.

aprader1

Insert amazing title here
Reaction score
Faction
Algaron?
In Minecraft 1.12 there is a new addon called advancements which is basically custom achievements. If and when Massive updates to 1.12 this will allow for the entire rework of questing. It works like this:

A new tab on the advancement section named "Quests" will show up along the other advancements. This page will be blank until a quest has been started via npc etc. It will now show on this tab that you have gotten the advancement for starting the "name" quest. A second action can be taken that requires the first advancement to be acquired so that when the second step of a quest is completed a new advancement with a line connecting it shows when this has been completed. Basically it allows for very convenient "quest book" and organization as well as dealing with rewards better. Rewards can be given when talking to an npc asking a simple if question. Does the player have "advancement name". If so then put in their inventory "item". If not then do not reward them anything.

The quest book is already a great feature to have, but it is not enough to suggest a rework. Minecraft allows only certain items to be crafted if you have a certain advancement. For example, the player is unable to craft say a Rune of Water without the Rune of Water advancement. In order to get this you need to do a quest or a quest line that gives this advancement (like talking to a water mage and doing tasks). This allows for extremely easy control of the MassiveMagic items and anything else that needs prerequisites for crafting.

These advancements are also really simple to add. A short video online can easily show the process of creating such advancements and implementing them in.

I know this was fairly complicated and I probably have not even gone to the extent the advancements are capable of. Any questions please ask, I would be happy to provide information.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is basically already in the MassiveMagic crafting system. Granted, there isnt really a quest book.

However, there are items called blueprints that you can consume that will allow you to unlock crafting recipes in the MassiveMagic crafting system.

Theoretically I could make it tiered so you can turn an iron sword into a gold sword and a gold sword into a diamond sword. But you would need to unlock the recipe with a blueprint before being able to progress.

Granted it would be more involved but I am sure you can already imagine the possibilities of this system.

This is basically already in the MassiveMagic crafting system. Granted, there isnt really a quest book.

However, there are items called blueprints that you can consume that will allow you to unlock crafting recipes in the MassiveMagic crafting system.

Theoretically I could make it tiered so you can turn an iron sword into a gold sword and a gold sword into a diamond sword. But you would need to unlock the recipe with a blueprint before being able to progress.

Granted it would be more involved but I am sure you can already imagine the possibilities of this system.
I know the massivemagic system has this and this is not as good of an improvement as it is to questing. However, using this system another tab can be created called "MassiveMagic Items" that will tell you exactly what you are able to craft, possibly what you might be able to craft if you do certain things, as well as the recipes to make said items. The improvement is not as good as questing however the visual aspect and capabilities of this system are worth integrating. A whole system rework may not be necessary for this but may be useful for an expansion. Each expansion to massivemagic can have its one tab. (For reference think thaumcraft book but in a GUI in the advancements section)

I know the massivemagic system has this and this is not as good of an improvement as it is to questing. However, using this system another tab can be created called "MassiveMagic Items" that will tell you exactly what you are able to craft, possibly what you might be able to craft if you do certain things, as well as the recipes to make said items. The improvement is not as good as questing however the visual aspect and capabilities of this system are worth integrating. A whole system rework may not be necessary for this but may be useful for an expansion. Each expansion to massivemagic can have its one tab. (For reference think thaumcraft book but in a GUI in the advancements section)
A few commands then.

/magic recipe knowledge will display the list of all recipes you know.

/magic recipe show
will list the items you need.

/magic recipe display (name)
then it shows you exactly how to place the items in.

All of these emulate this in a rather simple fashion. It isn't as pretty as a book GUI what functions quite nicely. I am not sure if we could take time to code another custom GUI.

A few commands then.

/magic recipe knowledge will display the list of all recipes you know.

/magic recipe show
will list the items you need.

/magic recipe display (name)
then it shows you exactly how to place the items in.

All of these emulate this in a rather simple fashion. It isn't as pretty as a book GUI what functions quite nicely. I am not sure if we could take time to code another custom GUI.
Reworking how everything works now may be a bit to much as each advancement would have to be made separately however for the future it may be worth considering. My idea was mainly for questing with slight improvements to massive magic if needed. This would have to be a later update since massive is not even 1.12 yet