Archived Renewable Sand, Gravel, & Clay

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yendor46

Nicholai the Elder
Reaction score
Faction
TheElders
In working to clean up worlds and keep worlds clean, and also to work on some major building projects, it has come to my attention that one problem is obtaining Sand and Clay (including gravel because it falls into a similar category). These materials are non-renewable, and are easiest to obtain through strip mining, which leaves the affected part of the world looking horrible.

Massivecraft addresses this problem with dirt with a special crafting recipe (dirt+seeds=3 grass), which makes dirt/grass renewable. I would propose that one of several similar solutions be implemented to allow sand, gravel and clay to be renewable. This will allow all sandstone, brick and arrows to be renewable given the other, existing crafting recipes.

1. Have an admin chest that always sells an unlimited supply of sand, gravel and clay. This may be the easiest to implement and could be justified in rp by locating them at an appropriate quarry, but doesn't follow what I've seen of massivecraft's policies to date.

2. Add special crafting recipes such as:
dirt+sugar cane=4 clay balls (dirt, which always contains some clay, + organic fiber was fired to make brick in many cultures)
cobble+stone=4 gravel (stone is used to break the cobble down to gravel)
gravel+stone=4 sand (stone is used to break the gravel down to sand)
I have tried to come up with crafting recipes that offer enough challenge that it gives an alternate way to obtain these materials, not necessarily a new primary way. These imply that 6 stone can be used to make 4 sandstone.

3. In the single player game these resources are effectively not limited, as the world continually expands. The corresponding solution for a multi-player game would be to have worlds where the mining of these materials is expected and where there was no expectation that the world would continue to look good. (This is the default, as the choice is to mine these materials or severely limit building with brick, clay or sandstone.) Making a mining only world that was reset/replaced periodically would be one way to implement this solution (or part of a world if the new ability for mods to reset the new worlds by chunk is as easy as we hope).

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
There are sand and gravel generators...And taking clay would reduce its price and crash that side of the economy.

Sand and Gravel generators exploit a duplication glitch, which is against the rules in Massivecraft.

Good point. Instead of the clay recipe, couldn't you make a custom smelting recipe for dirt? :P

Status
Not open for further replies.