Regalia Goes To War!

Discussion in 'Progression Events' started by MonMarty, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

Following the Lo/Anahera celebration at the Kade Chancellery, no doubt the many guests spoke for hours about the wild words spoken by the Crown Prince about his decision to lead Regalia to war with the Elven Kingdoms of Daendroc. Hours following the announcements, dignitaries (or rather tribe shamans) of the Blood Orc Clans arrived in the harbor on their way to to the Orc Embassy, a hastily converted Orc camp in the previously burnt out husk of the Maiar embassy.

The following morning after the party, the first messengers relayed the news to Regalia. While none of the Elven Kingdoms possessed a strong fleet, only the Kingdom of Haelstram surrendered at the first sight of Regalian warships. Urged onward by the Kingdom of Thellassia, the Kingdom of Medlem Talar levied it's sovereignty to the Kingdom of Thellassia, thus creating the Elven Sovereignty under the Kingdom of Thellassia's rule. The Regalian warships quickly arrived on the Elven coasts, opening a destructive storm of cannon fire on the nearest coastal cities of Thellassia and Medlem Talar. Thellassia's cities of Derella, Medlem Henarina and Dalloria were shot with explosive cannon rounds, a recent invention by Regalia's Dwarven work force. The fleet then continued to strafe it's way along the coast, disabling any Elven coastal settlements, forts or naval forces. The Elven Kingdoms in the north suffered a terrible cost of their defiance, nearly 1200 Elves dies in the initial hours of the shelling, many more homeless after fleeing into the interior of the land to get away from the loud rumbling of cannons. With the coastal defenses disabled, The Elves passed on the message to the fleets that they refused to surrender, and that the Elven Sovereign as the now referred to themselves, would resist the Orc and Human armies in their lands.

The Crown Prince meanwhile summoned the land's lords to raise their banner for war. All nobles were called to arms, an optional call to arms, but a call to arms nonetheless. Many nobles immediately committed to the war, promising their support. Others stayed back, observing the situation from a far and determine their stake in it all. The summons was declared to Portimao, the capital of the Lusits Kingdom. Daenshore was also mobilized, the Junistas rangers sent into the Orc lands to aid the Orcs in defending their borders.

The Kingdom of Haelstram that immediately surrendered saw a fleet pull into it's coastal capital, Haël. The Regalian banner soon flew over the fortress of the warrior king Tindarin Quicksilver, a fortress that once prided itself over never having fallen to Orc armies. The Kingdom was declares a subject to Regalia, unfortunately the local assimilation was not effective. The border towns declared their allegiance to the Elven Sovereign, resulting in the Kingdom almost halving, the southern half joining the Regalian Empire, the northern half joining the Elven Sovereign.

The Regalian High Command marked the following locations as targets for invasion:

• Taure Tinchor, the Forest shield of the Elven Sovereign. The forces are estimated around 20 baronies in size, having favorable terrain to the Elves. 5 barony sized Orc detachments are expected to reinforce whatever army decides to attack Taure Tinchor.
    • Madar Tallarna, The river city of Thelassia. The forces are estimated around 50 baronies in size, having terrain favoring nobody. No reinforcements are expected.
    • Hellar Tallarna, The river outpost before Madar Tallarna. The forces are estimated around 5 baronies in size, having terrain favoring the Elves. No reinforcements are expected.
    • Perfwenn, a small village crucial to the Elven iron supply. The forces are estimated around 10 baronies in size, having terrain favoring the Elves. No reinforcements are expected.
    • Marin Dalar, a coastal city with a crucial supply depot. The forces are estimated around 15 baronies in size, having terrain favoring the Humans. Regalian ships are expected to use indirect fire to shell the city during an assault. This may cause collateral damage to Regalian troops, but also aids in the battle chances
    • Outrock, a large Elven citadel. The forces are estimated around 60 baronies, having terrain extremely favorable to the Elves. 10 barony sized Orc detachments are expected to reinforce whatever army decided to attack. Outrock has the chance of turning into a protracted siege, a direct assault may cost the lives of many soldiers.
    • H'rellen, a small elven town on a river island. The forces are estimated around 25 baronies. The terrain is favorable to the Elves. It is unclear why the Elves put so many soldiers in such an insignificant town, the battle itself or the outcome may result in surprises. No reinforcements are expected.
    • Mullenda, a small southern town on the Haelstram border. The forces are estimated around 15 baronies. The terrain is favorable to nobody. 5 reluctant and resistant Elven barony sized detachments will join whoever attacks.

I'm a noble what does this mean to me?
    It means you can take your troops from your baronies and go to war! You will need to raise your banner, gather allies, and retinue soldiers. for more information on the struggle rolls, read here. It is recommended for nobility with lands who don't plan to join in the war, to use their armies as a bargaining chip to get in favors with other families. If you have any further questions, contact MonMarty. Joining in these battles has benefits.
    • You can use a victory or a loss in a political scheme.
    • Battles can be used to further one's standing among nobility or plans
    • Looting may result in interesting loot being found on the battlefield.
    • Battlefield experience is the best experience you can get as a fighter. If you want to hone your skills, this is the way to do it.
    • Many more benefits.
    I want to join! How?! Contact MonMarty with a PM. State:
    • What target you want to attack.
    • Who you are taking with you as your retinue (mention their character name and IG name)
    • What nobles are joining you with their levies, and who is leading your battle. (omit if you are going alone)
    • What additional orders you have, if you have any.
    The results will then be typed out as an event and posted here after the rolling done as described on the wiki page.

I'm a commoner, what does this mean to me?
    You could try joining one of the nobles as a soldier in their war, or go for the higher honor and ask them if you would be given the honor of being one of their retinue, personal bodyguards. After the battle, you may use the battle event as a part of your character backstory, and it will count towards your character's fighting abilities, as battles are the #1 method of getting combat experience. Commoners distinguishing themselves in battles may also get the chance of being recognized as a talented leader, which may results in a shortcut to becoming a noble, city guard, or a person of fame. If you want to join a battle, contact your nearest noble.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. kswef

kswef Refugee

Wuuuuut

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. kswef

kswef Refugee

How will this work? Fully RolePlay or will it involve PvP?

4. Greenie

Greenie As Useless As SupremeCripple's Legs

...WHUT.

5. LordSylveon

LordSylveon The Desciple of Cecidit

Hmmm......
    I think I'll need to find a noble group willing to take Drust as an asset.

6. Lithiel

Lithiel Tragic Flower Forager

While this is a seige on the Talar- what sort of response and or effect will this have on the other two divisions? @MonMarty

#6 Lithiel, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  7. HydraLana

HydraLana The Very Gay Walking Talking Lore Encyclopedia Staff Member Lore3

"Hegel Alexander! Lassen Sie uns in jeder möglichen Weise für die Herrlichkeit des Reiches zu helfen!"
    -Leugel Eulilla to his servants, children, relatives, friends and wife-

#7 HydraLana, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  8. MonMarty

If any of you nobles are hesitant, I suggest you wait for the first person to step forward and be the first one to go in, that should give you a good example of how things go, and whether you want to commit.

9. HydraLana

Leugel would be glad to. If you want...​

10. Terence29

Terence29 "Kittyhulk"

He couldn't have chosen a better time, while the vampire "apocalypse" is going on.

Damn. Now I wish I still was a baron. And with Ludwig's injures, he is probably not going to be very helpful. Would a time jump in this case be possible, so he could be cured quicker and join one of his noble friends?

11. MonMarty

I warped the time around the effective bombardment a bit, technically this would have taken a week, but I crunched it into a day since I've been getting a lot of positive feedback about people being excited of putting their characters in battle. As for your injury, you are free to timejump. You may offend those who injured you, but that's up to you.

100% roleplay. Only roleplay characters, and the results will be posted as a roleplay event, written, and probably recorded on the Wiki.

12. kswef

kswef Refugee

This might lead to the end and deletion of Daendroc

• Educated Educated x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. budholly1936

budholly1936 One does not simply, give up hope.

Will this have an effect on social standing of Elves within Regalia?

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. MonMarty

Elves in Regalia will probably be more closely watched by the guard for any sign of treason, but Elves who have a house in Regalia, or consider themselves Regalian citizens, are for all intents and purposes, citizens. There will be no scrutiny by law against Regalian citizens. Any Elves showing anti war sentiments however, will be executed as traitors.

15. Cruallassar

Cruallassar The shadow of power

So what does this mean for the other Elves? Can we Elves (or those of us who have/soon will have a roleplay character) Participate in any way?

16. kswef

kswef Refugee

@Terence29
    Well, there has to be space for Guldae :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Woodwork

Woodwork Suzzies mother

I'll get Grey in the battle, who doesn't love a good fight?

18. MonMarty

Absolutely not.
    I have already heard of Jared Silverhand joining Thomas Kade under the Banner of the Anglian army. Anyone (even non Humans) can join a noble "host" as a retinue or a normal soldier, if the noble agrees, and they can participate in the battle.

The only thing that is currently not possible, is for players to decide to aid the Elves.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Cruallassar

Blast...So this means that the Elves will have no chance of winning in the end?

20. LordSylveon

That'd be fine with me.

21. SacredTrout

SacredTrout Patriot

Sounds fun... FOR THE OLD GODS!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  22. DankeeYankee

DankeeYankee Beggar

They have no chance anyway. Their armies would quickly fall under the power of the Imperial Fleet...if they are on the water.

23. Mecharic

Mecharic I'm tempermental, deal with it.

I think that if the elves win that would make for a MUCH more interesting storyline than "Regalia triumphs again! Like always!" Think about it @MonMarty - the roleplay reactions are pretty much limitless for an elven victory, and would allow other races to start becoming more prominent. It could even lead to a Regalia-Sultanate war... -hint hint, wink wink-

• Like Like x 3
  24. MonMarty

Obviously not, they are severely screwed. The Elven Human alliance was able to bring the Orc holds to a stand still, now the Humans turned on the Elves and allied the Orcs. This is a world story progression thing, that I implemented to give the military oriented families in Regalia something to make a name for themselves. We hate self insertion, which is why we want to use actual events to allow people to measure up etc.

sorry but no, this is a stepping stone towards an end goal. There is no real benefit to making other races more prominent, besides giving those unrealistic in-contemporary liberals more reason to start screaming about racial equality. Racial inequality is a major plot line, we will not change that.

25. HydraLana

((Or a Regalia-Nag...of wait, we already did that and now we're nearly extinct. We Naga are staying COMPLETELY out of the war.))

((Oh, and here is an epic theme song for the war))

26. budholly1936

What about the social position of Orcs?

27. MonMarty

I think the Orcs already had a pretty decent social standing in Regalia. The Kade household has always been a family that very strongly supported Orc rights for ulterior motives, and with the denunciation of the strongly xenophobic families, the suicides of the medavinci's, and Alexander on the throne, things look better for Orcs than any other non Human race in Regalia.

• Useful Useful x 1
  28. TheFinitePeach

TheFinitePeach The World's First Sentient Fruit

A Regalia-Sultinate war is inevitable anyway...

29. Shayin

Shayin Seen any Elves?

Remember, that the Elven Kingdoms in all make of 1/5 of the Elven Population in Daendroc, and that most elves from outside of the kingdom would hate the superpowers, being pompous and arrogant Talar! There is much reason for every Elf to take up arms against the Kingdoms, and here is a newly released Lore Page on Medlem Talar, the middle Elven Kingdom, to get a feel of what's going on!
    http://wiki.massivecraft.com/Medlem_Talar

So, it is encouraged that all Elves, especially the Lothar and Unquale, invest in looking into this war. :)
    Hope to see some activity in this!

• Like Like x 2
  30. Cruallassar

So there will never be any kind of Elven sovereignty?

31. MonMarty

They can be very sovereign, under a Regalian flag.

But in a more serious note, there are still plenty of independent Elven kingdoms, as Shayin stated this is only 1/5 of the Elven population in Daendroc, and then we aren't even discussing the numbers living in Teled Methen or other states like Regalia and Ithania. There will unlikely be a "grand" Elven Empire, unless someone finds the legal heir to the Imperial throne, otherwise Elven society simply impedes their ability to cooperate or tolerate one another.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  32. budholly1936

Hmmm do the Kades generally gravitate more towards strength and stature than intellectual reasoning?

33. kswef

kswef Refugee

@MonMarty
    May I be part of your army, or is there somewhere I could apply?

34. LordSylveon

Would Drowdar get involved in this at all? I know its doubtful that they would help the elven kingdoms since they view other elves as weak and cowards, but I was wondering since they are supposed to be some of the best fighters in Aloria.

35. Cruallassar

Can you /are you willing to elaborate on that secondtolast part?

36. MonMarty

Thomas Kade runs the armies of the Angle Lordship, which is in theory "My army".

It'd be silly of me to publicize Kade antics and politics. Let's just keep it at "That's a very obvious conclusion, but you're very wrong".

Naw. Drowdar think the Elves living south are shits because they don't want to support "the good fight" against the demons on Drowda, where-as Regalia regularly sends military equipment to fund the Drows in their fight up north.

There is a server story plot line lying around somewhere about the discovery of the true Elven heir. There are currently no plans of activating this, and we have no real incentive to. But in theory, we could one day decide to give an Elf role player the papers to become the theoretical legal claimant to the Elven throne as a descendant of Medui's only daughter who survived the Demonic and Orc invasion.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  37. Tahmas

Tahmas English Insomniac

Thomas Kade has three Drowdar in his personal retinue against Daendroc. If I'm correct, the Drowdar are still busy fighting a war with the 'Shendar in Drowda currently, so I doubt any assistence would be lent.

38. HydraLana

The lore states that as Rie fell and Emperor Medui's sons died, the crown princess vanished. Where did she go?
    I assume we will never know.​

39. Mecharic

Mecharic I'm tempermental, deal with it.

The benefit is that you can have more conflict for those combat-oriented families, and you can bring into RP the acts of war and actual PvP that the server claims to support. If Regalia always wins no one will ever oppose it in-game and it will be impossible for actual PvP battles to occur within roleplay or lore. By allowing Regalia to lose to SOMEONE (ok, maybe not the elves, but what about the Qadir?) it would make it possible for actual battles to occur in PvP that represent Roleplay Wars/Battles/Sieges. While I no longer think that the elves can win (1/5th isn't very good for them) the Qadir would be able to do so I think, which could lead to more instability on the edges of the empire and more racial inequality as the people inside the empire start to fear (and thus hate) other races that attempt to oppose Regalia.

That's all I was getting at. Power and Equality are two very different things, especially for a place where the 'strong' are in the minority.

• Agree Agree x 3
  40. budholly1936

Drat, still can't force any secrets out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.