Archived Pve World - Quest/pve/pvp/rp

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Reaction score
The goal of this thread is not to propose immediate work on this idea. It is to spark ideas and interest among the players and staff, and to be an organic thread, with the main post (idea) constantly evolving and being rewritten to accommodate new and exciting additional ideas/features.

Specifics:
  • Terrain in the world is not editable. Except for in faction embassies – see below for additional info.
  • Mobs only spawn in specific set areas, rather than anywhere it is dark enough.
  • Mobs can spawn during the day.
  • World is non-PVP. PVP is only activated in certain event areas – see below for additional info.
This idea is rooted in the concept of the quest worlds that already exist on the server, and my experiences playing two MMORPGS, World of Warcraft and a mobile MMORPG called Order and Chaos.

While Warrenord is cool and everything, I feel like it promotes a solo questing experience rather than a group question experience. Now, I may be wrong, but when I was quest staff, and I was writing quest and coding them in game, I never really felt like I was creating a quest that multiple people would work to accomplish at a time, simply because the quest weren't that hard, and there was no interface for multiple people, say a party, to work together to complete a quest.

Essentially, create a PVE world that offers quest that are meant to be soloed, quest that are meant to be completed by groups of 3-5 players, and events where upwards of 10-15+ players gather that aren't necessarily working together. Let me elaborate.

For quest that can be soloed, I'm using World of Warcraft as my reference. Throughout the continents in the WOW world, there are thousands of solo quest, which is where I did a majority of my leveling the little bit I played. Most of the quest you could do on your own, but some went a little easier with two or three people working together. Throughout the new PVE world, create tons of camps, villages, towns, cities, and have quest within them for the surrounding area. Say 5 quest for a small camp, 10 for a village, 20 for a town, and 30 for a main city. Encourage people to work together, but don't make the quest so hard that they can't be completed on your own.

For quest that require a group, I'm using World of Warcraft as my reference. Existing within the many continents of the WOW world are multiple mini dungeons that while you /can/ do them by yourself, they become easier and more rewarding with multiple players. The only current dungeon that we offer on the server is Arachn, and I consider that a fully sized dungeon. Have a world that's a little bigger than Warrenord, and fill it with multiple mini dungeons, like 10-15, and make the mobs hard enough to require people to work together to complete it. Have mini bosses throughout, and a strong boss at the end that drops a custom item. Encourage players to work together, whether they are in the same faction, or just happened to show up at the dungeon at the same time.

Straying from the general quest idea, I use the mobile MMORPG Order and Chaos as the reference for this idea. In Order and Chaos, in certain parts of the world, there super strong boss mobs, that weren't at the end of the dungeon, but on the surface of the world. They may be secluded, say at a mountain top, or in a cave behind a waterfall, but they were easy to reach. In these areas, PVP was enabled. The mob spawned on a schedule, so say every three hours, it respawned. For the three hours leading up to the spawn, people would camp the surrounding area, every now and again straying into the PVP enabled area and fighting. When the mob spawned, "guilds" as they were called in this game, essentially factions, would fight to kill the mob, and fight to kill each other so they could get the loot and not the other people. Frequently upwards of 20+ people would camp out these spots, and for hours PVP would happen back and forth, or flame, you know the usual. Maybe we could work a quest in here, like a daily repeatable, but the main point is to bring tons of people to a specific area to camp the area, and then both fight the mob and each other. These areas could be spread all over the map.

Now that the basic premise of the world has been established, I can discuss additional features.

· Faction embassies: In the main city, create a district where factions can rent a small house, sort of a "guild house" that will serve as the embassy in this world. Make creating MassiveLocks and MassiveShops in this world free. Create a /tp point to this embassy specific for this world, with the normal 10 second teleport duration and cancel if move. Factions can decorate these guild halls however they like, and can use them however they like. An inn with beds, a guild home to meet at and set out from, a storage warehouse, etc.

· Separate inventory: Make the inventory in this world separate. Everyone starts with no armor, no weapons, no food. Create very easy spawn quest that give out food, armor, and weapons that are intended to be the very first quest players in this world do. Create NPC shops in every settlement, and have what they sell specific to what settlement they are in. Ex: Small caravans/camps only sell leather/iron armor and weapons. Small villages and towns sell Iron/Gold armor and weapons. The largest city has armories that sell diamond/diamond enchanted armor and weapons. This will also encourage travel around the world to the specific settlements to get armor and weapons.

· Storyline: Note – this does not have to be lore compliant. Create a storyline that every quest is structured around, as to create an overall end goal. Players can work to achieve this end goal, and once they have, can do the daily repeatable quest, and be at the daily events around the world either camping the mob or PVP'ing other people.

· Achievements: Find some way to give achievements to players. Example: Complete 10 quest. Complete all the quest in a specific settlement. Defeat a world boss. Complete 100 daily repeatable quest. The possibilities for achievements are endless. Make them accessible through an achievement list.

The largest pro of this world as I see it, is that it would integrate and facilitate questing (solo and group), PVP (in controlled amounts as to not overwhelm), RP (but not enough to detract from Regalia), and a new gameplay style that blends most of the elements on the server. The average player that enjoys exploring a world, playing a storyline, and having a small challenge in the form of PVE and PVP will enjoy this world greatly.

The largest cons are the amount of work it would take to create. The creation of this world and its content would span multiple departments. Also, to the best of my knowledge, many of the systems that would facilitate the features I proposed do not currently have a tech solution.

Last edited:
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
· Faction embassies: In the main city, create a district where factions can rent a small house, sort of a "guild house" that will serve as the embassy in this world. Make creating MassiveLocks and MassiveShops in this world free. Create a /tp point to this embassy specific for this world, with the normal 10 second teleport duration and cancel if move. Factions can decorate these guild halls however they like, and can use them however they like. An inn with beds, a guild home to meet at and set out from, a storage warehouse, etc.
Perhaps this could also be used for recruitment? The character limit of the Recruitment chat is rather wanting and forum threads are really only seen by people already IN factions most of the time. Just a thought on this. You could use these for a practical way to show not only your faction's style but what you offer too.

Perhaps this could also be used for recruitment? The character limit of the Recruitment chat is rather wanting and forum threads are really only seen by people already IN factions most of the time. Just a thought on this. You could use these for a practical way to show not only your faction's style but what you offer too.
It's definitely a possibility. You could put a sign or two in your embassy. My main goal though is to make this a separate world from the faction world completely, hence the separate inventory. You use the friends you've either made in the other worlds through survival or RP, and come to this world to do the quest and progress in the storyline, or you team up with people you met in this world. Not essentially use it as an arm to recruit for your faction back into the survival world.

Not to say it couldn't be made to be a feature of this world. That's just not how I envisioned it when I was working on the idea.

I'm going to tag @jes_ because he talked about wanting a world with a separate inventory, and this idea offers it.

I'm going to tag @BenRekt because he's always got an interesting perspective and argument on things like this.

This would be a ton of work but it would undoubtedly lead to some pretty cool experiences. This would actually make me somewhat interested in learning the basics of lore instead of completely disregarding it. I like the idea of a new world with a new inventory and new rules because it will give end-game players like myself something to work towards. I believe if this idea were implemented, it could easily revitalize the server in a much needed way by giving actual objectives to players instead of just having them roam the survival world in search of some action. Also, I like faction embassies, which already used to be a thing back in the original Silverwind map. I like the idea of having a purchasable area in a town also because it would make me feel like I'm actually a part of something instead of feeling like I'm just in my own part of the map away from everyone else.

I think this is a very interesting compromise and much less extreme solution to wiping the current survival worlds completely clean, which is what I proposed several months ago. It gives many of the survival / PvPers what they want, while giving Roleplayer the opportunity to experience a new world with the ability to play exactly how they want to play.

The amount of work that would go into this this is incredibly steep. The idea itself is amazing but between the coding and world building, would be rather difficult. This is just me, but I think it might be better to experiement with "group quests" in Warrenord before dedicating an entire world to it.

The amount of work that would go into this this is incredibly steep. The idea itself is amazing but between the coding and world building, would be rather difficult. This is just me, but I think it might be better to experiement with "group quests" in Warrenord before dedicating an entire world to it.
What on here would require coding other than group quests? I'm relatively sure the rest can be done with world guard and regions.

Ah, I was thinking you meant coding in the tech department sense.
No worries. But that's why a test would help determine a good direction to go. It is really well written and thought out. The idea is pretty amazing as well. So I'm far from against this.

Noting this as Under Review as there are some interesting ideas here. Perhaps we should look at implementing some team-based quests in the future. The creation of another entire new questing world dedicated to team quests may be difficult, and in some ways Arach'n is meant to be done with teammates though not necessarily in the way you are suggesting.

Something like this may not be a priority interest at the moment, but team-based quests are certainly something which can be brought up to Quest staff.

I destroyed and or sold everything I own (fresh start) and it still wasn't enough to rekindle my interest... quests are always a good waste of time though and having more of them is never a bad thing.

Noting this as Under Review as there are some interesting ideas here. Perhaps we should look at implementing some team-based quests in the future. The creation of another entire new questing world dedicated to team quests may be difficult, and in some ways Arach'n is meant to be done with teammates though not necessarily in the way you are suggesting.

Something like this may not be a priority interest at the moment, but team-based quests are certainly something which can be brought up to Quest staff.

Cool. Thanks for the reply. I'd be willing to assist in any way possible if staff/quest are interested in furthering any part(s) of this idea.
I destroyed and or sold everything I own (fresh start) and it still wasn't enough to rekindle my interest... quests are always a good waste of time though and having more of them is never a bad thing.
I wanted this idea to be more than "just more quest. " I really want it to be a whole new aspect of the server. Right now people a lot (not all) consider themselves as mainly PVPers or RPers or a mix of a lot of things. I want people to be able to say that they spend a lot of time in this world. That's why I want it to be separate money and separate inventory. It lets people that feel they've hit endgame in the survival worlds or the rp environment start over somewhere, and all be on the same level playing field when they start.

Imagine starting in the world solo or with a few friends. You have no money (regals) and no gear. You do intro quest to get the basic money and Regalia. From there you build up money and gear, and what quest you do when is completely up to you, and if you do them with friends or not. Eventually you get enough regals to buy a house in this world, or a larger house and make it an embassy with your friends. Since regals and gear are separate from the real world, God Armor and weapons aren't considered end game in this world. They're just considered average Armor and weapons. You can buy them from large cities (read my original post where explain Armor you can buy is dependent on what village/town/city you are on), but if you go out and complete super hard dungeons or hard quest and mobs, you can get special rare items that are stronger than normal God items. And since everything is separate in this world, it doesn't break the survival worlds.

You can then use this new armor to fight people in the designated PVP areas that the world bosses spawn in. People that spent time doing the super hard quest will be rewarded and have an advantage with the items they have gotten. People with normal God items are at the entry level.

That's what I'm going for.

Proposing: MassiveDungeons!
Wow, I agree with EVERYTHING said here. However I feel like you guys are trying to do this the hard way. One thing I don't understand about massive is Massiverestore. Massiverestore not only makes Massive's worlds the pristine things they are today, but it also makes the factions worlds that much more immersive. I believe Ben said something here...
I believe if this idea were implemented, it could easily revitalize the server in a much needed way by giving actual objectives to players instead of just having them roam the survival world in search of some action.
I think it is really important both to give new, solo players something fun and productive to do right as they join the server, and to give them reasons to join up with a faction with awesome active people. The thing I don't understand about MassiveRestore is why aren't we able to use it to edit and update the survival worlds? This first started when the new stone types were released and I proposed using MassiveRestore to insert the stones the same way it inserts ores into the world. There is also a many errors in Fender with water in the swamps, and I was surprised to hear that you can't fix these files or whatever you use for MassiveRestore. I don't know whats up with that, but I propose that you use massiverestore to allow random world-themed dungeons to spawn and disappear periodically. I would assume it would be easiest to have only several of them throughout a few of the worlds, but in the same spot each time. This to me seems much easier than creating a completely new world. Using the factions plugin to prevent editing the terrain or claiming these dungeons, the MassiveRestore plugin to insert these in the world, and possibly MassiveQuest to enhance these puzzles and challenges, You guys could achieve pretty much what is being discussed with much less work. This would simply take (I believe) some small changes to MassiveRestore to be able to update what it restores chunks to and a plugin to check the validity of the set area and to claim these areas. Anyways, thats my thoughts, and although this may be tech-heavy I believe it would really give us that fun addition that gives more focus to the survival and factions worlds.

P.S. Structure blocks are also very useful for spawning in structures, Custom mobs, and chests with loot tables =)

Proposing: MassiveDungeons!
Wow, I agree with EVERYTHING said here. However I feel like you guys are trying to do this the hard way. One thing I don't understand about massive is Massiverestore. Massiverestore not only makes Massive's worlds the pristine things they are today, but it also makes the factions worlds that much more immersive. I believe Ben said something here...

I think it is really important both to give new, solo players something fun and productive to do right as they join the server, and to give them reasons to join up with a faction with awesome active people. The thing I don't understand about MassiveRestore is why aren't we able to use it to edit and update the survival worlds? This first started when the new stone types were released and I proposed using MassiveRestore to insert the stones the same way it inserts ores into the world. There is also a many errors in Fender with water in the swamps, and I was surprised to hear that you can't fix these files or whatever you use for MassiveRestore. I don't know whats up with that, but I propose that you use massiverestore to allow random world-themed dungeons to spawn and disappear periodically. I would assume it would be easiest to have only several of them throughout a few of the worlds, but in the same spot each time. This to me seems much easier than creating a completely new world. Using the factions plugin to prevent editing the terrain or claiming these dungeons, the MassiveRestore plugin to insert these in the world, and possibly MassiveQuest to enhance these puzzles and challenges, You guys could achieve pretty much what is being discussed with much less work. This would simply take (I believe) some small changes to MassiveRestore to be able to update what it restores chunks to and a plugin to check the validity of the set area and to claim these areas. Anyways, thats my thoughts, and although this may be tech-heavy I believe it would really give us that fun addition that gives more focus to the survival and factions worlds.

P.S. Structure blocks are also very useful for spawning in structures, Custom mobs, and chests with loot tables =)
To the best of my knowledge, worlds are restored to the original map, therefore the map before any builds by factions had been made.

Sure, the staff /might/ be able to replace the current save file with one that features large underground dungeons, but that's not what I was going for with this suggestion. Your idea has merit, but it's a different idea for its own feature and idea post.

To the best of my knowledge, worlds are restored to the original map, therefore the map before any builds by factions had been made.

Sure, the staff /might/ be able to replace the current save file with one that features large underground dungeons, but that's not what I was going for with this suggestion. Your idea has merit, but it's a different idea for its own feature and idea post.
Yea, I just thought that inserting small dungeons with a boss and a small questline might achieve what you are seggesting without making a whole other world. =)