Archived Proposal For Lock Removal

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.

Muireann_Alessa

Builder/Designer/Merchant/Investor
Reaction score
Faction
Imryth
I have noticed an issue recently pertaining to locked chests in the wilderness. As I understand chests only unlock if the player is inactive for 20 days, regardless of how long it has been since they accessed a chest. Now, the problem here is chunks with locked chests cannot be claimed. With the already known issue of crowding due to many small barely active factions it is difficult enough to find a good spot for a new faction. But when you factor in all the locations of old factions where players loot and leave locked chests...it shrinks the maps that much more. I propose that a new rule be implemented where mods can unlock wilderness chests if they havent been accessed in 20 days. I think this would encourage people to transport the loot they find back to their base rather than just lock it up thus holding that chunk "hostage" indefinitely. It would also enable players to create new factions on top of ruins and restore/rebuild them.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
You can always politely mail/message the player with that chest asking if they could move it. They were there first, so they technically have say on whether or not they want to stay there or not.

You can always politely mail/message the player with that chest asking if they could move it. They were there first, so they technically have say on whether or not they want to stay there or not.

Oh sure. But a lot of times people don't message back. And really, between portals, enderchests, backpacks, and the ability to set home there's no reason for our wilderness to be cluttered with locked loot chests. When I find things I load up and take them home.

Yes, I agree that there's enough coverage now between portals, enderchests, backpacks, and the ability to set home. In defense of new folks getting started on the server, only recently did portals and backpacks become available to the average Joe getting started without premium.

At what point was it made that you could not claim land over an active player's locked chest? Did that come with the switch to LWC or was it always there? If so, I was misinformed, because when I first got started last fall, I remember reading about people having to message faction owners that accidentally claimed over other people's locked wilderness chests. And then there was the flip side of this equation where you couldn't get access to stuff you previously had access to without messaging the faction owners and negotiating. It was for that reason I built for myself a handful of separate locked chest enclaves spread out through wilderness as I figured the chances of all my belongings getting claimed over in one swoop would be slim. That was before I had raised money to make a faction. I didn't want to deal with the possibility of getting in with a faction that would boot me and I wouldn't be able to get to my items without admin intervention - I didn't want to bother with that hassle. Spreading my chests out seemed like my best bet at the time.

That said, I see the frustration from the other side of someone wanting to claim land. I can think of four areas in wilderness that I have small pockets of locked chests that really have no purpose for me anymore so I will make sure to take them down soon. Even though I spent regals to lock those chests, their usage to me is now redundant so I will take them down.

I think that with the increased flexibility that comes with the backpacks enabled to all we'll see less of this in the future - because really, who wants to pay extra LWC costs if they don't have to?

@bbrickman99 I think it is possible to claim over locked chests, but it is a server rule that you are not allowed to do so. I may be wrong about not being able to but I know it's a server rule that is expected to be followed.

At what point was it made that you could not claim land over an active player's locked chest? Did that come with the switch to LWC or was it always there?
It is a violation for someone to claim land over actively locked chests. Please see here. I agree that random chests make the world smaller and think that new ideas could remedy that issue. The claim rule was also reduced to 10 chunk distance instead of the original 16. I hope this helps for now.

It is a violation for someone to claim land over actively locked chests. Please see here. I agree that random chests make the world smaller and think that new ideas could remedy that issue. The claim rule was also reduced to 10 chunk distance instead of the original 16. I hope this helps for now.
the 10 chunk thing was a smart idea... hopefully the chest thing can be figured out soon