Archived Nickname Plugin

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EyebrowsJ

Senator
Reaction score
Website
forums.massivecraft.com
Okay, we all know that sharding is going on, and Cay doesn't like out-of-house plugins.

There is a feature of the Essentials plugin that allows you to use nicknames:
Code:
/nick <nickname>
and allows you to see their real name:
Code:
/whois <player>
/realname <player>
I was wondering if someone else could code it (I know we have some plugin developers outside of the staff) or when Cay could do it, if he decides to do so.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I want this feature, but we don't have essentials anymore, and any such feature will have to be hand coded by cayorion compatible with sharding and our administration tools.

Delightful idea. However, its just the extra labor which will be a problem...

I want this feature, but we don't have essentials anymore, and any such feature will have to be hand coded by cayorion compatible with sharding and our administration tools.
Now that I've put full thought into it, is does need be sharding compatible. Maybe after other plugins are recoded and after sharding it could happen.
Delightful idea. However, its just the extra labor which will be a problem...
This already exists in a very large plugin called "Essentials". We removed it for whatever reason, but right now it's not sharding compatible.

Other servers have this command a Premium (VIP or other donater title) benefit. It was used widely for roleplay and works great. Like Marty and I have noted, it's the sharding compatibility that we need.

Now that I've put full thought into it, is does need be sharding compatible. Maybe after other plugins are recoded and after sharding it could happen.

This already exists in a very large plugin called "Essentials". We removed it for whatever reason, but right now it's not sharding compatible.

Other servers have this command a Premium (VIP or other donater title) benefit. It was used widely for roleplay and works great. Like Marty and I have noted, it's the sharding compatibility that we need.
From my past experience as a server owner and general follower of Bukkit news/trends, Essentials is one of the largest plugins and can cause lag and take up lots of the server's resources, so many simple plugins can sometimes get the job done more efficiently. Most likely it is not sharding compatible as well.

From my past experience as a server owner and general follower of Bukkit news/trends, Essentials is one of the largest plugins and can cause lag and take up lots of the server's resources, so many simple plugins can sometimes get the job done more efficiently. Most likely it is not sharding compatible as well.
I do not believe it is. That is why I suggested a plugin that only adds the /nick feature.

You get that plugin with essentials. Which MAssivecraft doesen't have.

This has already been suggested many times and is wanted by many staff members. However sharding takes priority, then several other plugins follow before anything like this is implemented.[DOUBLEPOST=1367913764,1367913639][/DOUBLEPOST]I would also suggest that the /nick command only shows your nickname in Local chat only, and not every chat channel.

This would be great, and I'm glad to hear the staff are hoping on this as well.

Too bad I named my character using my own minecraft handle. >.<

Lets just say something...I don't want People to use mah name...it's creepy a d what if they use mah name to to say something bad in a crowd? Where people miss understood?

You get that plugin with essentials. Which MAssivecraft doesen't have.
I said that
This has already been suggested many times and is wanted by many staff members. However sharding takes priority, then several other plugins follow before anything like this is implemented.[DOUBLEPOST=1367913764,1367913639][/DOUBLEPOST]I would also suggest that the /nick command only shows your nickname in Local chat only, and not every chat channel.
I know. I know. I know. I agree.

The plugin might have a filter, sort of like chat does. That way, you couldn't name yourself (Insert mindf*ck of disturbing descriptive words here).

I have been on servers with nicknames and i find it extremly confusing. I also see that this will be used to "pretend" to be other users to get them in trouble and so on. My first impressions is therefor that this would make administraton of the server harder.

I have been on servers with nicknames and i find it extremly confusing. I also see that this will be used to "pretend" to be other users to get them in trouble and so on. My first impressions is therefor that this would make administraton of the server harder.
Possibly. Although, it could be that the display name and ONLY the display name is changed. No skin changes or anything. As well as the previous idea of only using it in local chat.

It would be easy to quell all the objections of how confusing the plugin would be. Just make it toggleable. Typing /rpnames would make you see rp names, and typing it again would show everyone's real names. That way if you aren't rping it doesn't have to be confusing.

I like illogicals idea, that would be a good feature that would work on both levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.