Under Review New Trait Concepts

Discussion in 'Feature & Idea Discussion - Archive' started by MorgothTheDark, May 18, 2016.

1. MorgothTheDark

MorgothTheDark Melkor

Hello, just a random list of trait ideas. This is a very basic description of what each trait would do, this does not list the point costs, ability cooldowns, etc where applicable. That may be added in after, if initial response to this goes well, as well as more new traits.

For example, Stonewall is listed as causing a player blocking with a shield to gain resistance. It does not however say for what duration he should have the effect.

Green traits = Positive/Costing Points

Red traits = Negative/ Giving Points

Guardian Truce - Guardians will not attack the player. (Seen this on another thread, but it is a good idea)

Mob Rancher - Mobs can be tamed easier.

Farmer - Animals are easier to tame, or can be tamed automatically.

Berserk - When you kill a player, gain HP.

Stonewall - When blocking with a shield, gain resistance.

Mycologist - Planted mushrooms instantly sprout up, and when mushrooms are harvested, gain hunger.

Vampire Hunter - Additional damage to vampires.

Hardened - When hit, small chance to gain resistance.

Insane/Delusional - Nasuea II.

Bodyguard - When near your assigned person, gain a damage boost.

Leader - Must wear a gold helmet, radiates an aura for use with the underling trait.

Exoskeleton - When on webbing, incoming damage reduced.

Flammable - Takes more flame damage.

Frail - Has reduced base health.

Stupid - Cannot earn experience. Could be McMMO or in game XP.

Mind Drainer - Drain another player's XP when you kill them.

Lockpick - Player can lockpick faction doors and hatches. This would be done similar to the trading screen in my mind, you would sit at the object and have to wait for a red glass bar, or inventory, to turn green.

Loner - Gain a damage resistance boost when no allies are nearby.

Deaf -
    You are taken out of all chats except local.

Crippled -
    When you jump, or run, you receive slowness III and weakness II

Revelry -
    When near a firework explosion, gain HP.

Fire Heal-
    Fire damage heals instead.

Poison Heal -
    Poison damage heals instead.

Moon Boon -
    When the moon is full, gain Speed I and a damage boost.

Moon Bane - When the moon is full, gain Slowness I and reduced damage.

Web Spray -
    You are capable of spraying web where you are currently standing, if you are in an air block.

Mark Strike - Your strikes mark targets and cause them to glow.

Phantom -
    When standing still and crouching, you are invisible.

Undead - You do not heal, and can not take any healing traits.

Tapeworm -
    You randomly gain hunger.

Ink Spray - When under water, you can blind those around you.

Primal -
    You cannot join a faction. This effect lasts a specific duration from when you pick it, to discourage abuse. This is mainly a point booster, like Unholy is now.

Void Infused -
    Can only be taken if Unholy has been used. Chorus fruit may be used as a food that grants absorption, or saturation.

Underling -
    Gain a boost to damage resistance when near someone emitting the Leader aura.

Witch Blood -
    The player is unaffected by potions/modifiers. Even positive ones.

Cavalry -
    Extra damage when on a horse.

Cursed -
    When struck with a golden tool, take additional damage and receive wither.

Sick -
    Random Nausea, Weakness, and Slowness.

Ice Eater -
    Restore hunger when breaking ice.

Ice Blooded - Heal when near snow or ice.

Banner Boon -
    Gain a boost to damage resistance when near a banner.

Daemonic -
    May only be used in conjunction with Unholy and Void Infused. Causes the player to gain a damage boost when on Soul Sand.

Exist Infused -
    Can only be taken if Holy is taken. Holy water will heal the player, and grant a boon of resistance I.

Soul Sucker - Gain hunger when near Soul Sand.

Manic -
    Every so often, your primary selected item will switch places with something else in your hotbar.

Essiphualë - You take damage when vegetation blocks are around.

Drunk - When consuming a potion, gain nausea.

Frozen Shard - Either activates when throwing snowballs, or must be activated to be given a certain amount of snowballs that slow the target they strike. They deal a small amount of damage.

Warper - After using an ender pearl, heal a small amount.

Docile/Pacifist - You may not damage another player. You may be damaged.

Vagabond - Striking with an axe has a chance to deal an additional amount of HP damage. This is not a flat % booster.

Duelist - Striking with a sword has a chance to deal an additional amount of HP damage. This is not a flat % booster.

Musician - When activating a music note or jukebox, gain saturation.

Seer -
    You may view another player's inventory. You may not disturb it.

Reaper -
    When wearing a skull on your head, you can emit an aura of weakness. This is not a constant aura like the Leader trait.

Miner's Fortune -
    When you mine an ore, you have a small chance to receive a small amount of regals.

Lumberjack -
    When you break a log block, you have a small chance to receive a small amount of regals.

Evergrowth -
    Plants nearby have a random chance to act as if they have been treated with bonemeal.

Depth Diver -
    When below a certain depth on the Y axis, and in water, gain a damage resistance boost.

Explorer -
    Gain the ability to have a second home. Second home can ONLY be accessed with the Explorer trait on, and if possible, it is lost when the trait is switched.

Lightning Shock -
    When striking, gain a chance for lightning to strike your opponent and deal damage. Possibly more of a chance when using unarmed.

Magnetic Repulse -
    Emits a wave of entity damage around the user (does no damage), that mimics the effects of KBII or KBIII if possible.

Stone Body
    -
    Uses up stone per second, or stone in one amount to grant a temporary damage resistance bonus.

Hurling Rock -
    Could be done with snowballs, unless something better comes up, hurl a rock to deal moderate damage to your opponent.

Gusting Wind -
    The player is given the levitation effect for a small amount of time.

Storm Bringer -
    Cause it to begin raining.

Cleansing Light -
    Remove all negative status effects from yourself or someone close.

Healing Light -
    Heal yourself or someone close for a small amount.

Toxic Alteration -
    You may transform water bottles into non splash Poison II instantly.

Magic Sight -
    Allows the user to see another user's traits.

Weak -
    You are constantly afflicted with weakness.

Wasting - You are constantly afflicted with hunger.

Toxic Webbing -
    When in a web, you are poisoned. (This is positive because it is meant to be ran with Poison Heal)

Assassin/Mercenary - Gain the ability to access a list of "hits". These are designated players that can be killed for a cash reward. Hits are set by other Assassins or Mercenaries. Players put their money into an "escrow" like system, then the Assassin receives the money once he has slain his target. If no one completes the contract within a certain period of time, the money is refunded to the person that set the hit.

Schizophrenic - You will randomly hear sounds such as players drinking potions, players taking damage, doors opening/closing, zombies, spiders, etc. Sounds that lead you to believe something of importance (some of these are important sounds in a PvP scenario) is happening when it really isn't. So unless you visibly see them do it, you cannot distinguish if it was your trait or your enemy.

Martial Strike - Martial strike adds knock back to unarmed strikes.

Cauldron Cooker - Activate a filled cauldron to receive a regeneration effect.

Bloodletter -
    When striking, gain a chance to give a weakened "bleed" effect like we currently have with swords.

Poison Weakness
    -
    You take additional damage from poison.

Appleseed - When eating an apple, you gain saturation. This includes golden and enchanted variants.

Enchanted Miner
    -
    When you mine Lapis, you are granted a small amount of additional XP.

Energized - When near Redstone items that are activated, gain speed.

Guard - Take slightly reduced damage in your faction's claimed land.

Raider - Deal slightly increased damage in enemy land.

Reinforced -Mitigates some of the armor shred axes have. Reinforces your armor, if possible.

Resilient -
    When hit with a critical strike from an axe, heal for a small amount.

Silver Bane - Take additional damage from iron tools. Receive slowness when struck with one.

Hydroform
    -
    Take damage when not in water.

Cold Blooded - Starve when not in direct sunlight.

Banner Bearer - Allows the user to do /hat only with banners in particular. While using this trait, and wearing a banner, project a field for use with Banner Boon. Premiums only using /hat will NOT produce this effect.

Back Stab - Deal increased damage when attacking from behind.

Vine Whisper - You are able to grow vines at will on the side of surfaces.

Flesh Eater - You may only consume rotten flesh.

Lapis Bane -
    When near or stuck with a Lapis block, take damage and starve.

Disarm Expert -
    When you successfully disarm an opponent, they will do a 360 spin.

Beast Master - When you have a wolf out, gain a damage resistance increase.

Warp Banished - You cannot use ender pearls at all.

Hatter -
    When wearing an object with /hat, gain a damage increase.

Fidget -
    Your character will randomly jerk or move, this can happen during combat.

Beacon Curse -
    When under the influence of a beacon, you lose hunger and take damage.

Marked
    -
    You cannot do /dynmap hide, and are ALWAYS visible on dynmap.

Tracker - Hold a compass, then track a specific player, this will cause the compass to point toward that individual. Or for you to be given a position that is close to the individual.

• Like Like x 4
    • Creative Creative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    #1 MorgothTheDark, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
  2. Zacatero

Zacatero Regalian High Lord

I like these

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Lizmun

Lizmun yeah Staff Member Lore2

A lot of these sound actually quite fun, but a few (Such as lockpicking) Not so much.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Neckerei

Neckerei Broken Sword, Broken Spirit.

i like most these some of these others are kinda useless but from a pvp aspect it would be nice to have more negative and positive trait options since absorption and armorpen/harm strikes were gone. And almost all pvpers run the same 4 negative traits. It would be nice to have alternatives.

5. Parz1vol

Parz1vol Chicken

These are all really cool.

6. mayino

mayino

I Like most of the traits but i find these to stand out really wel. (I also gave a reason why i liked em so much & sorry if i typo'd alot)

Bodyguard
    -
    When near your assigned person, gain a damage boost.
    Reason: I kinda like this as how it would encourage team Pvp over Solo raiding

Cavalry - Extra damage when on a horse.
    Reason: Finaly a use for Horses in minecraft.

Essiphualë - You take damage when vegetation blocks are around.
    Reason: -

Frozen Shard - Either activates when throwing snowballs, or must be activated to be given a certain amount of snowballs that slow the target they strike. They deal a small amount of damage.
    Reason: A alternative to the Fireball trait. Whit diferent advantages and uses

Docile/Pacifist - You may not damage another player. You may be damaged.
    Reason: Maybe a good Roleplay negative trait to use.

Lightning Shock - When striking, gain a chance for lightning to strike your opponent and deal damage. Possibly more of a chance when using unarmed.
    Reason: Another alternative to the Fireball trait.

Schizophrenic - You will randomly hear sounds such as players drinking potions, players taking damage, doors opening/closing, zombies, spiders, etc. Sounds that lead you to believe something of importance (some of these are important sounds in a PvP scenario) is happening when it really isn't. So unless you visibly see them do it, you cannot distinguish if it was your trait or your enemy.
    Reason: -

Martial Strike - Martial strike adds knock back to unarmed strikes.
    Reason: People who prefer knockback in pvp could use this to have knockback when using Unarmed

Beast Master - When you have a wolf out, gain a damage resistance increase.
    Reason: Maybe to encourage more people to use the Taming MCMMO skill

• Like Like x 1
  7. Night_Raider_

Night_Raider_ Night_Raider_ of ReDivision

I also would like to see a vision trait for lava (no pun intended lol). Doesn't really go along anything else besides flylava, but it's something that would greatly benefit a lot of players (those who go to the nether to mine glowstone for instance)
    Personally, I've been trying to dig out a darkroom lately, but there are no less than half a dozen massive lava chambers directly above that I've been trying to fill in. It's not exactly easy to do well when you can only see 1-2 blocks in front of you :P

• Like Like x 1
  8. leichendame

leichendame Regalian Pioneer

I like all those mental insanity traits.Simulate what I will be like in a few more years of no positive news on the news just fucking terrorist fucks.​

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. MorgothTheDark

MorgothTheDark Melkor

I am interested in the human mind, which is why several "mental insanity" traits are shown.

Mass media is very biased. Honestly seems like my home country, America, has had its culture designed to make you mentally sick and to twist your thinking patterns into more negative versions of what should be. That is to say the culture here gives people a lot of bad behavioral characteristics.

Random comment, but yeah haha.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. leichendame

leichendame Regalian Pioneer

Just realized your name xD Praise be to the dark lord Melkor!

11. spoonly

spoonly people need to hear it sometimes

I like a lot of these. I'd be surprised if none of these get implemented.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Savantly

Savantly CEO

@MorgothTheDark for Game Staff 2016?

The Phantom Trait would be so fun with a bow trait setup hehehe ;3

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #12 Savantly, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
  13. Winterlapis

Winterlapis Probably not a furry

A lot of these seem like really good ideas! However, a couple (magic sight and lock picking) aren't really good ideas, as it would make locking plugins virtually useless and magic sight… well… you aren't allowed to see the trait builds of others for a reason.

Those are really the only two, however. Here are my personal favorites (and why):
    This is a real pain when building near water, this needs to be implemented.
    I'm not much of a PVPer at all (I have literally only PVPed once or twice on Massive), but I can see this being very useful due to my poor memory of who I have/haven't hit.
    This gives a nice use to horses besides just breeding, aesthetics, and slightly faster transportation.
    Take a glance at my username and you'll see why I like these ice/snow themed ones. :)
    You have literally no idea how useful this would be to some people, myself included. I constantly wish I could have a second home in roleplay situations so I could just simply teleport back to that location without getting myself completely lost.
    These are nice because they're actually lore compliment. Therefore, they are dual use: for magic users in roleplay and for actual attack/support roles.
    According to… eh… nearly all of my IRL friends now (and one or two on here), you shouldn't come near me if you have this trait on. (I'm looking at you, @Ivygreenstem )
    I like this one just for the sake that it messes with people's heads. I'd probably only be able to stand it for a few minutes, however.

There are probably a few more that I really like, but these are the main ones. I really hope some of these get implemented!

14. BeetrootSalad

BeetrootSalad the gremlin Supremium

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

15. spoonly

spoonly people need to hear it sometimes

What do @Staff think about this? It would be cool to see a handful of these actually implemented.

16. Addrion

Addrion Botanist

I like a lot of these here, some good ideas. Some can't be done, and some are planned for the future even. Nice work.

17. Gumee

Gumee Flywater Fanatic

Traits being removed caused my friends to quit massive. No—before you guys leap at me—it wasn’t because we lost debuff flywater archery; although y’all just hate us cause you ain’t us.

Regardless, when traits got removed, Massive became like every other pot pvp server, and lost a lot of it’s uniqueness (especially because factions was getting little to no attention at the time from staff). So Vanos moved on to other servers, bored of fantasy kitpvp.

Conclusion: I’d love to see traits revisited, but you gotta make sure you balance them so you don’t have people like us finding the most broken and annoying combos.

18. grizenator

grizenator Refugee

I'm a fan for more racial specific traits. Like massive has such a rich selection of lore and yet it's barely touched. Will formulate some ideas later when I got time

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Zacatero

Well what ended up happening was

The main PVP players stopped being able to win every fight they came across so since gethelp would do practically anything they wanted.. They convince them to remove every mechanic that either they were using or they couldn't win against citing them as unfair

Instead of embracing the non vanilla mechanics that make massive unique, they decided to try and make massive as vanilla as possible and remove everything else

I think it's stuff like that that needs to come back

• Agree Agree x 3
    #19 Zacatero, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  20. Viscar

Viscar Nekoii's Actual BFF

Yeah cause what part about redundant buffs/debuffs that would often glitch resulting in certain players doing an absurd amount of damage doesn't sound like a fun time? Or how it was near impossible to ever balance damage to a reasonable level because of them? Don't pretend that the problem was "PvPers who couldn't win anymore", it was a broken system that was given multiple attempts at being fixed but simply wasn't.

I'm not completely against bringing traits back, but if it's the same "15% damage buff here and 15% damage resistance here" then I will most certainly be against it. Sure it's somewhat "unique", but it doesn't necessarily mean it's more fun. Most of the ones listed here sound neat though.

21. Goldifish

Goldifish texan (derogatory)

so, roleplayers?

22. 65jes89

65jes89 Leader of SunKiss

I don't remember not being able to beat anyone with traits that I couldn't then beat without traits or vice versa.

Not really, actually. Sure, gethelp catered to pvpers, especially since, ya know, he was pvp staff when that was a thing, and was also a pvper, but he definitely did not do anything we wanted. Otherwise we wouldn't have dealt with vamps for as long as we did, traits for as long as we did, massivemobs, we would've seen more tournies, magic would've been scrapped for something actually viable in pvp, need I go on?

Traits didn't do jack to make massive unique, if anything it turned into a shitty rip-off of the servers with enchant plugins, just using commands instead. Just changes damage values around, does nothing to make it unique other than giving you a random debuff everyone once in a while.

No, we wanted/want to get rid of unneeded plugins that add no real value to the game and replace them with things like HCF traits or some form of MassiveMagic that actually works.

I actually am not entirely against some of the things in the OP, as long as they were done properly with pvper feedback, just have a problem with the rest of what you said.

• Educated Educated x 1
  23. Zacatero

But things like elytra magic and traits could make pvp interesting. Massive survival is too different to try to make pvp conform to vanilla hcf standards. You cant fit a round peg in a square hole.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. grizenator

grizenator Refugee

Elven race traits: (pretty general race referencing)
    Arcane Prowess
    1.9 style of enchanting,

Void worship enderpearl cooldown decreased

Magic Expert gain accumulator passively (eg you don’t need to shift)

Proud not effected by other peoples positive effect splash potions (speed, strength, fire res)

Yanar

Spore Burst Upon death, items are spread across a large 10 block radius

Flammable fire resistance potions light you on fire instead of preventing it

Fruitful when eating golden carrots 1/10 chance that unenchanted golden apple buff is applied

Fruitful 2 when eating unenchanted golden apples 1/10 chance that enchanted golden apple buff is applied

Dwarf

Runesmith repairs on anvils cost less to fix / combine

Well Forged armour is 10% more durable

Short can walk through 1.5 high spaces, but cannot ride horses.

Maiar

Ink when struck, your attacker receives blindness for 5 sec and you receive speed 2, this has a cooldown of one minute

Depth Dweller blindness when in water

Echo-location all those in a 10 chunk radius of you and in water will glow

Url

Tracking points to nearest enemy/neutral player

Impressive Horns (basically free thorns 3 on helmet)

Outcast unable to set a home with your bed and unable to be in/join a faction

These are some rough ideas, not specific for certain races but based on their abilities/ characteristics

25. Winterless

Winterless The MVP of Romance RP

I think that most PvPers in hindsight will agree that traits did make massive pvp more fun, at least more fun than it is now. Regardless of if it was a shitty ripoff, servers with custom enchants tend to be really popular (i.e. CosmicPvP).

I don't think HCF traits are a good idea tbh. Massive PvP is totally different to HCF and catering to a HCF crowd brings its own problems to the server- primarily hackers and toxic af players like Afrovia's PvPers. Besides that, I've never actually seen HCF traits that made PvP any better because things like Archers and Bards are just straight-up annoying and don't really add anything to PvP

26. Winterless

Winterless The MVP of Romance RP

Damage was balanced for a long time, actually. What you're referring to as "damage glitches" were for the most part people who were using dedicated damage builds. Sure, there were points were traits were completely broken, but there were also periods where it was fine.

And I think a lot of people would disagree with you when you say that traits pvp was less fun than what we have now. What we have now is a lag-fest where all you need to do to win raids is have numbers and gapples. That's pure cancerous PvP and it doesn't encourage longevity like traits did

27. MorgothTheDark

MorgothTheDark Melkor

Traits also encouraged individual strategies, or at least some variation between individuals. As many used many of the same traits, but many people also had 1-3 traits that they personally tailored to themselves, which made each individual at least slightly different. Or at least I did.