Archived New Magic Idea

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PehShunXian

Refugee
Reaction score
I heard the magic plugin will be coming soon and i saw the list but i found the my favourite kind of magic unavailable(Necromancy). The ability to control the dead is something i really find cool and unfortunately it wont be added to massive craft and i hope the admins will consider this idea. Thats all for this post.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I heard the magic plugin will be coming soon and i saw the list but i found the my favourite kind of magic unavailable(Necromancy). The ability to control the dead is something i really find cool and unfortunately it wont be added to massive craft and i hope the admins will consider this idea. Thats all for this post.
You did not state your idea nor put it in the right section. Necromancy will not be added due to noobs being able to say they were resurrected. String magic is as close as you get to necromancy.

Assuming you mean invisibility, invisibility potions are currently disabled because of their overpoweredness, letting people turn invisible with magic would be just as OP
I think that using magic to turn invisble makes much more sense, as you would have to learn and memorise every word of the spell, meaning that not so many people would have access to it. Possibly they could also make it so that attacking someone would cancel the effect?

Moved to Feature and Idea discussion.
PehShunXian
Also, edited out unnecessary flame from the posts.

I think that using magic to turn invisble makes much more sense, as you would have to learn and memorise every word of the spell, meaning that not so many people would have access to it. Possibly they could also make it so that attacking someone would cancel the effect?

That's actually a really good idea and pretty easy to code, I think that should definitely be in the magic plugin

Since when was informing someone that their grammar is bad "flaming"?

Flaming is the act of making intensely vulgar replies for no other reason than to insult the other person, I even apologized forehand.

Language is an art of understanding one another. Grammar is a set of guidelines to help progress language towards more complex meanings to help understand people, not a ruleset for pseudo-intellectuals to feel better than someone else because of their understanding over a language.

Flaming definition aside it was certainly unnecessary and not helpful. If you want to help improve grammar, try actually helping them than just saying that their grammar is bad.

Small rant aside, Necromancy is not within lore since undead aren't risen through magic.

Language is an art of understanding one another. Grammar is a set of guidelines to help progress language towards more complex meanings to help understand people, not a ruleset for pseudo-intellectuals to feel better than someone else because of their understanding over a language.

Flaming definition aside it was certainly unnecessary and not helpful. If you want to help improve grammar, try actually helping them than just saying that their grammar is bad.
Small rant aside, Necromancy is not within lore since undead aren't risen through magic.

So you are saying that I could be writing this post in Icelandic and it would be completely fine because it is a language? I don't qualify as an English teacher or anything, but its still very possible to understand what I'm saying. "invisabilte" and "speals" are not words that are found within the English dictionary, and since this forum is in English, I expect to be able to read posts without having to focus so immensely to understand others because their grammar is that bad. And when I call someone out for this I am wrongly accused of "flaming" and get labeled a "psuedo intellectual" by a moderator of all people.

This is a forum, not a chatroom, posters on a forum usually have large amounts of time to make their post. Why should posts with absolutely no effort put into them, either contextual or grammatically, be accepted as equal to posts with efforts put into them?

So you are saying that I could be writing this post in Icelandic and it would be completely fine because it is a language? I don't qualify as an English teacher or anything, but its still very possible to understand what I'm saying. "invisabilte" and "speals" are not words that are found within the English dictionary, and since this forum is in English, I expect to be able to read posts without having to focus so immensely to understand others because their grammar is that bad. And when I call someone out for this I am wrongly accused of "flaming" and get labeled a "psuedo intellectual" by a moderator of all people.

This is a forum, not a chatroom, posters on a forum usually have large amounts of time to make their post. Why should posts with absolutely no effort put into them, either contextual or grammatically, be accepted as equal to posts with efforts put into them?

It's very easy to understand that he was trying to say invisible and spells. I can understand him, thus I have no issues that his English was less than acceptable. I am labeling you a pseudo-intellectual because you are thirteen and you are using your /amazing/ grasp on the English language to make yourself seem better than someone else.

As for your other point, nobody should be forced to write a short novel to say what they want. In fact it's much easier to understand a shorter post.

I suggest if you honestly want to continue this argument, you send me a conversation. I'd rather not have this thread cluttered anymore.

There are people who have some sort of disease which makes is hard for them to use proper grammar. It's totally fine if you know what they are trying to say.

And now Shh everyone because... flame wars and stuff

It's very easy to understand that he was trying to say invisible and spells. I can understand him, thus I have no issues that his English was less than acceptable. I am labeling you a pseudo-intellectual because you are thirteen and you are using your /amazing/ grasp on the English language to make yourself seem better than someone else.

As for your other point, nobody should be forced to write a short novel to say what they want. In fact it's much easier to understand a shorter post.

I suggest if you honestly want to continue this argument, you send me a conversation. I'd rather not have this thread cluttered anymore.

Is your only edge in this argument the fact that I am younger than you? I don't really think there is any need to continue anymore, as you have resorted to using ad hominem to make yourself seem smarter, and thus shooting yourself in the foot and working against your own point.

hentem
Xskill

Please, this is starting to become a flame war. Instead of trying to prove if higher authority is wrong, or that one has more reason than another, just don't reply to each other to avoid a flame war.

You both have a point, but please realize this war is visible to us all. If taken into a conversation this could get out of hand and it could harm both of you. I suggest to drop it and leave it alone as if it were an anthill. The more you add to the Fire, the larger.

This isn't meant to offend but to only attempt to restore peace. <3

hentem
Perhaps flaming was not the right word to use, but I am sure you understand what I meant. Correcting the grammar of someone who does not natively speak english is rather immature, as you have to understand MassiveCraft is a server played by people worldwide. Not everyone's first language is English, and I even knew some people who would improve on their English by playing on Massive.

What you should also keep in mind is all that I did is edit what I considered to be unneccessary critisim from your post out. You have not been punished in any way, therefor complaining about it is rather pointless. This arguement is doing nothing at this point but clutter the thread, so if the thread creator requests it (PehShunXian) I will contact an admin to clean it. As Xskill already said, if you feel the need to continue this debate, please take it to private conversations as it has now nearly completely derailed the thread. I, personally, will no longer comment on the matter to get this thread back on topic, however would be more than glad to explain myself more in a private message if you wish.

This guy hates clever people. (In the words of Fred/George Weasley, "Just defusing the tension.")

And so that I make a valid point concerning the OP:
There were, previously, a small number of hidden magic forms may or may not have been related to necromany; by this I mean soul and spirit, into which I did not look, though their names hint at a relation. Sadly, these have now been removed from the page.

However, MonMarty has, in a recent post, suggested that one might create their own form of magic if discussed with either himself or BabaManga (bottom of this page). The idea of necromancy as a whole is an interesting one, as a solemn religious zealot I know little of the undead, simply the requirement to kill them. One thing I would query is whether you're talking about necromancy's practical application, RP or both. Necromancy as a purely practical concept would be likely quite difficult, though as I type this it could well give you the ability to spawn certain undead beings from the graves of other players.

I would suggest that the main points to consider would be:
  • How difficult is this to code?
  • How would this work within Aloria's lore?
  • How would it take shape; would one be able to revive the dead, spawn undead mobs; how would this impact PvP?

Should Necromancy become a form of magic, I think you should just be able to spawn zombies or skeletons infront of you. Coding would not be THAT difficult I suppose, as it would be pretty much the same like the mob spawning command.
The magic caster shouldn't be attacked by his minions though. I suggest giving him a truce with monsters, just like vampires, but only as long as his minions are alive. Maybe make it so only his own minions don't attack him, but other mobs still do. That would make coding a bit harder though.

It realy dos and it whoud macke mour sense that it has a time of effect and a cool down time

Might be neat to have something where you could control zombies similar to the way you can control dogs although I have no clue how that would be implemented.

Should Necromancy become a form of magic, I think you should just be able to spawn zombies or skeletons infront of you. Coding would not be THAT difficult I suppose, as it would be pretty much the same like the mob spawning command.
The magic caster shouldn't be attacked by his minions though. I suggest giving him a truce with monsters, just like vampires, but only as long as his minions are alive. Maybe make it so only his own minions don't attack him, but other mobs still do. That would make coding a bit harder though.

This could influence PvP quite a lot. Start spamming the spell command, and a few minutes later, you have an army of undead. Not only that, but it would cause a lot of lag. I would only say this was a good idea if it had a cool-down of like 5 or so minutes.

๖ۣۜI honestly will say, necromancy seems a bit too popular of a thought. Although it would seem cool to have a single, extremely powerful creature that can resurrect the dead, some people forget that 'single' part. I feel like any form of 'necromancy' should be left more with the Undead being the ones resurrected by the Aura. In fact, what makes it unique to me is that it is impossible to do it because people just don't know and don't have the aura to do it, let alone it happens on random occasions. It makes it seem more a 'godly' power since it happens to random people who need it..

Status
Not open for further replies.