New Economy Approach.

Discussion in 'Feature & Idea Discussion - Archive' started by CFLPlayer, Apr 13, 2015.

1. CFLPlayer

CFLPlayer Muppet Lover.

Hi, so I've been a member of massivecraft for a while, I've seen the almighty power of the feesh and first of all I would like to say that I do not bring it back at all. Even though I mention the dreaded fishing skill we all know and love(/hate). So without further ado or anymore pleasantries. I present my proposal to stabilising our economy.

I'll start with the problem I see, which is that supposed 'rare' items are too cheap, such as diamonds (everyone's favourite example). So, how do we fix the fact that one rare item is now cheap and easy to obtain? Easy, give people a new resource. Now, I know what everybody will think when they read that, "OMG! N3w mater1al! so I can uprade my g0d armour!'. That isn't at all what I mean...

When taxes was introduced, it showed potential, quite a bit of potential in fact. Although these days it's easy to darkroom for about an hour a day just to pay your entire factions tax on your own. What if we add an incentive for leaders and officers to keep their members 'happy', not even irl. What if you supplied your people with luxuries? Like I hear of people smoking opium in rp, wearing pearl necklaces, tasting spices in their food and drinking wine by the gallon just to satisfy their impulses to do so online.

My idea is to actually add a new system for factions called 'happiness' (I know original, right...) this system would be similar to individual player faction power, therefore happiness would be individual to each player. An overall average for the faction would be created and that would be your average happiness level, which is crucial to sustaining a healthy faction. It could be measured on s scale from -50 to 50 the lower the number, the lower the happiness.

Things needed to be happy;

Luxuries! These are essential, you can't expect your people to be happy when they have no drugs or pearls now can you?! Opium could be extracted from naturally occurring flowers (poppies especially), then smoked for boosts of happiness, but would require you to have a certain level of herbalism. As for pearls these could simply be fished out the oceans. Your fishing level could effect the quality of pearls you can find, pearls would be lored in certain colours to garuntee their realism. Jewellery is an interesting concept, perhaps by combining pearls and gems with gold or iron you could create rings and necklaces, again these could be lored certain colours.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Eg.
    Name: Gold ring
    Lore: (in purple) A hand crafted ring, studded with black and red pearls.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Other luxuries could be silks that you could have a rare chance of finding whilst killing spiders or cutting foliage. Perfumes you could brew to make all your people smell nice. Spices you could mine , chop, excavate, and then add to foods to increase happiness ranging from cinnamon, salt, pepper to basil, mint or cajun.

Money & friends! If your people see you with lots of cash this would reassure them that their in good hands. Whilst if they have active fellow members around them, this would raise their moral. Both of these could increase happiness greatly.

Allies! The more allies you have that are happy the happier you become, meaning that allies play an even more important part than just protection and trade.

Winning! Yes, when you kill an enemy in your land, you're pretty chuffed right? When an enemy is killed in your territory, all members online gain a happiness boost.

Things that make you sad...;

Dying. The more you die inside faction territory, the less happy you become. This is a simple fact, you aren't going to be happy if your not safe.

Leader changes, who on Aloria would be happy with a new leader every 5 minutes. I mean seriously... In a realistic situation you'd be quite shocked or upset lowering your happiness temporarily. Unless this new leader brings you more happiness.

Low faction money. I'd be upset if my city went bankrupt, wouldn't you?

Jealousy. If you have no luxuries and someone has loads, you'd be jealous. Let's face it, if I saw @Skip_HD or @PariahFolk strutting with their jewellery and silk whilst I played with dirt in a pair of leather trousers and a melon block I stole from @Lazzulai, I'd be miffed.

Hunger. If you begin to starve, your happiness will decrease. How can you be happy without your crispy realism chicken sitting in your tummy? You can't.

Traits! Maybe new extra traits, not counted in the seven or five traits you can pick from but individual traits, like SkullLover which would give you happiness from wearing skulls or HayFever which makes holding flowers force you to be unhappy. Maybe you have to have 1 positive happiness trait and 1 negative?

Benefits of being happy!;

If the average happiness is above 20 perhaps a 5% mcmmo xp increase? Slight damage reduction inside of faction territory? Chances of finding luxuries increase? Less tax? More power?

If it's above 0 then how about tiny little benefits like it takes longer to lose hunger in faction territory? 10% damage reduction from mobs?

Curses of being unhappy;

If below 0, chances of finding luxuries decreases? Chances of getting regals from mobs decreases?

If below -15 take 5% more damage in faction territory? Heal slower? Food gives diminishing returns? Less mcmmo xp?
    Tax increase and power level decreasion

So that's my idea, drop a comment to agree/disagree <#
    -CFL

• Creative x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Constructive x 1
    • Educated x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    #1 CFLPlayer, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  2. Lazzulai

Lazzulai no. Supremium

T-T My melon block

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 2
  3. CFLPlayer

CFLPlayer Muppet Lover.

Sorry Laz, but it's my turn to have custody of Jeremy the melon this week :P

4. TheComputerGeek2

TheComputerGeek2 Some guy trying to make things work Staff Member Tech3

I'm terrified to see what would happen if this was implemented, but yet also somehow intrigued..
    Although I'm curious on what some of the pvpers would make of it

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. CFLPlayer

CFLPlayer Muppet Lover.

Actually, most pvpers may be happy, I know a lot of them and would be happy to trade luxuries to them. It would allow stabilisation. Not irradication of one of Massives largest player communities. The idea is more to make sure that money can be spent on something new and rare. Plus, I'd love to see Jemo/Fube/Sevrish jumping around in flowers with a pretty pearl necklace and a silk gown. Wouldn't you?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. TheComputerGeek2

That was part of what appealed to me, although I'm wondering what you had in mind for implementation. Would accessories take up armor slots? Or would it be some kind of plugin that adds compatibility for a mod to display it? If it doesn't interfere with armor or armor can be modified to still maintain the perks, I would look forward to seeing screenshots of Raptum showing up at factions covered in flowers.

Edit: And as an alchemist, I like the idea of more brewing options.

• Constructive Constructive x 2
  7. CFLPlayer

CFLPlayer Muppet Lover.

Okay so you know the jewellery loring? The coloured lore to show the gems inside them? Well it would be the same for armour. Adding a rare silk or perfume to your God armour would show up in lore form. Just holding jewellery in your inventory keeps you happy. Maybe an opium smoking feature too? Kind of like speed 3 but with nausea?

Edit: mod compatibility would be asking a bit much for the poor mods, they're overworked as it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TheComputerGeek2

I assume that the lore addition to armor from things such as perfume would have to be removed after a certain time period? If so, I could see that process being problematic. An example of a similar issue is in mcmmo where sometimes there are problems with the summoned animals disappearing. Does this seem like it would be problematic?

• Constructive Constructive x 1
  9. CFLPlayer

CFLPlayer Muppet Lover.

Not really, don't think of it as lore, think of it as an enchantment, a piece of code could monitor the amount of happiness received from the perfumed enchantment and then once the happiness gained from it caps the perfume is removed until applied again. This stops the problem of logging and removing your perfumes instead it would count the timer for happiness only when your online.

10. TheComputerGeek2

To me, as someone who likes to look at the developer's side of things, I see enchants and lore as almost the same thing, they are both just a subtag within the itemstack's data. Programmatically, the main difference is that enchants are checked when the item is used where as lore is mainly checked when rendering the tool tip display. It is worth noting that, effectively, the pseudo-enchants, such as perfumed, are more similar to lore within both client and default server handling. I think that if a normally undefined enchantment id was used in the item's enchant subtag, there is a potential risk of that causing a client crash (not positive since it has been a long time since I've worked with that field). Other than the technicalities behind the scenes, it sounds good, and I like the idea of it tracking what it has done rather than tracking time.

11. CFLPlayer

CFLPlayer Muppet Lover.

Small question. Should consumable luxuries like opium be added to main thread? What about a food enchant which states that when used (eaten) it gives happiness?

12. TheComputerGeek2

Do you mean like the pseudo-enchantment on the cake4all? Except with some code to back it with functionality? I also feel that there might be some complications when considering it with different races, for example, an orc might not particularly enjoy something that the typical human would love.

Edit: To address the initial question, I think that concepts should be established before too many instances are determined.

13. CFLPlayer

CFLPlayer Muppet Lover.

Exactly why I added in the extra trait option.
    Yes the same pseudo-enchant
    By establishing a broader spectrum of concepts surely this would allow a staff member to pick and choose aspects they like/agree on, no?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TheComputerGeek2

Nailed it, just like it is up to the staff to tweak configs. Plugins may provide a default, however this is generally just so that it can be played with at all out of the box. The real purpose of a plugin, and arguably this discussion, is to create a framework, not the specifics that go into the framework.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. CFLPlayer

CFLPlayer Muppet Lover.

Well hopefully a mod will look at this thread. -crosses fingers-

16. Party_Penguin27

Party_Penguin27 exactly 43.5 various checkbooks

4 of the exact same thread in one week!

17. CFLPlayer

CFLPlayer Muppet Lover.

And what is the problem with that? 4 people who care about the server and want to express their views.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Party_Penguin27

They are all the exact same content

19. TheBatman1016

TheBatman1016 Definitely Maybe

Though they are all on the topic of the economy, they are all very drastic in their approaches. Its a good thing that people care enough to come up with ideas to help. I'd rather have a spam of bad ideas then to have everyone with good ideas be too scared to present their proposal due to fear of backlash.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. Party_Penguin27

Eh. At least they could read the other threads first

21. InktoberGlow

InktoberGlow Regalian Pioneer

happiness from pets maybe? and traits like DogHate might make happiness go down around wolves or CatLike will make it go up around an ocelot and the more of your pet there are the faster/more your happiness goes? :D

• Like Like x 2
  22. TheComputerGeek2

Should happiness go down when enemies are in your faction claim?

23. da_CamelQueen

da_CamelQueen Grumpy Artist

[​IMG] Dunno about that, I think this guy looks pretty happy.

• Cuddles! Cuddles! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. CFLPlayer

CFLPlayer Muppet Lover.

Would these be naturally spawning animals?

25. krios41

krios41 Privjet

i quite like this idea.
    what i do not like is that you stole mommehs melon block, can i kindly ask you to give that back?
    if you refuse, i fear that this fox will have to grow a new melon for her ;^;

26. Entityze

Entityze Straight outta DBD

Cough Flame Cough

27. Entityze

Entityze Straight outta DBD

@65jes89 jes bae les rek when i get a new computer k?

• Like Like x 1
  28. CFLPlayer

CFLPlayer Muppet Lover.

Play nice dwagon

29. CFLPlayer

CFLPlayer Muppet Lover.

Fine she can have Jeremy.

30. krios41

krios41 Privjet

thank you

31. Beetletoes

Beetletoes Regalian Prince

Wait... WHAT?! An actual idea for economic improvement that will actually work?! I fully support this!

• Agree Agree x 1
  32. CanteringCodfish

CanteringCodfish Refugee

Frankly, I dislike this idea. I don't need a rare lore item to tell me when I'm happy. Anyways, I feel that the economy is just fine. If you really want to help it, and you feel that diamonds aren't "rare" enough anymore, buy as many diamonds as you can, then burn them. An easy fix, if everyone contributes. :)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    #32 CanteringCodfish, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  33. CFLPlayer

CFLPlayer Muppet Lover.

Cheers man, appreciate the support (H)

34. Anseran

Anseran Ifrit Enthusiast

Make them be happy! Yes I can see it now.. turn everyone into skeletons with "SkullLover" Muahahahahah -cough- -cough- I mean yes I would love to be happy and as a reward for being positive gain additional buffs..

• Agree Agree x 1
  35. krios41

krios41 Privjet

something we never concidert, in the case this would be a thing, this has to be coded
    @Madus how difficult would this be to code if this would become a thing you think?

36. TheComputerGeek2

Actually, this seems possible, although it could take a while, I might not be the most qualified, I have enough experience with bukkit and java to say that it is definitely possible.

• Educated Educated x 1
  37. krios41

krios41 Privjet

i know this would be possible, that's why i asked how difficult he thinks it would be ^-^

• Agree Agree x 1
  38. TheComputerGeek2

Implementing it doesn't seem like it would be very /difficult/ but mainly time consuming.

• Educated Educated x 1
  39. CFLPlayer

CFLPlayer Muppet Lover.

So wait, to clarify. This would take time but would work?

40. Jackmo_Jones

Jackmo_Jones He's the Ripper, Jack the Ripper.

I don't like this idea.

My main reason being the faction nerfs when happiness is low. All this just seems unnecessary and I don't honestly think it would help the economy all that much.

Diamonds are cheap because believe it or not they aren't rare at all and this isn't because of fishing. I wasn't around when fishing loot was enabled but from what I hear as far as bringing in diamonds it wasn't OP at all when compared to actual mining. I can easily pull in a few stacks of diamond blocks in under an hour using nothing but a Silk Touch god pick with Super Breaker and then breaking all that with a Fortune 3 god pick.

When using a Silk Touch pick you get 2 ore blocks for every 1 found if you have maxed mining and with Super Breaker you get 3 ore blocks for every 1 found. So basically you can get like 9 or more diamonds for every ore block you find in the wild and if you know how to properly strip mine you can find a lot of diamonds in very little time.

So yeah as far as diamonds are concerned there really isn't anything wrong with the price I mean 400 to 450r for something that takes very little time to accumulate is not bad at all.

• Agree Agree x 1