Nathaniel Hawthorne

Discussion in 'Character Sheets' started by CharmedHexes, Jun 16, 2020.

1. CharmedHexes

CharmedHexes Refugee

Basics:
    • Full Name: Nathaniel 'Nate' Hawthorne
    • Race: Colonial Ailor (Stateland Culture)
    • Preferred Weapon: Sword or Fist
    Inventory Information (Optional)
    • Steel Dagger 12" (Engraved with his initials near the hilt)
    • Pocket knife 5" (For carving)
    • Regal Pouch
    • Secondary Regal Pouch
    • Mini Notebook
    Core Concepts
    • Nathan is a Unionist, to put it simply. Taking mostly from the Minoth Sect, though providing lip service to the Horopadosi Sect. He worships all of the gods and God Emperors, with a particular inclination towards Theomar and Juvin.
    • Nathan is a soldier, to put it simply. Be it protecting his home-state, working for short term contracts, or under a noble as their guard. Working as a commander for so many years, he only hopes that his experience in New Ceardia will aid him elsewhere as he ages, taking on more of a strategist's pace than a frontline commander.

Skill Information

Total Points:
    50 Base + 10 Hobby + 5 Racial
    Points Used: 40 Base + 10 Hobby + 5 Racial

• 20 Sword Combat (15 + 5 Racial)
    • 10 Fist Combat
    • 10 Pathfinding Arts (5 + Honed Skill 2)
    • 10 Perception Training
    • 10 Wooden Arts (Hobby Points)

• Physical Stat: 20 Blades +10 Fist + 5 (10 Wooden Arts/2)
    • 25 Points Total (Racial Cap)
    Abilities List:
    • Racial Abilities
      • Honed Skill 2 (Racial)
      • Shrewd Insight (Racial)
      • Omniaware (Racial)
    • Perception Training 10
      • Roguery and Forgery Immunity
    Languages
    • Common (Learned in childhood)
    • Thalic (Location of Birthplace)
    Appearance Information
    • Nathan looks about as plain as any other cookie cut man. His head often shorn short and his body built upon a lifetime of working out and staying fit. His body has a peppering of scars all about it, and a marring of stretch marks about his hips and elsewhere from the rapid growth of muscle in his youth.

Relationships (Optional)

James Hawthorne (Father)
    - Nathan's father, a farmer from the outskirts of Verwood. He worked in animal husbandry and carpentry, apprenticing Nathan before Nathan ended up setting out on his own.

Anna Hawthorne (Mother) - Nathan's mother and the head of the household. She taught Nathan the beliefs of Unionism and if she weren't a woman, likely could have ended up leading the church in their small locality. She instilled two things into Nathan that still last, that family is always the most important, and that nothing is key at the end of the day other than survival and keeping to your beliefs.

Nathaniel Drake (Brother, eldest)
    - Nathan's brother, and the man Nathan was meant to replace. Drake was the first born of the family and was expected to take over. What occurred instead was travels farther into Essalonia that ended up having Drake instead begin a life as a pirate, hunting after rumors of treasures and hidden stashes of artifacts. Nathan proper, being the third child, was in his younger years given the same teachings without as much responsibility as his elder brother, and since taking up mercenary work, has had a few chance encounters with said elder brother. This often causes conflict within the family to be reminded that Drake even exists, since their father had disowned him.

Catalina Belle (Somewhat surrogate sister/daughter?) -
    Meeting a sixteen-year-old Belle and helping raise her, Nathan from the age of 26 took to helping the girl out by giving her room and board along with companionship when the youth began having issues with her parents and partner at the time.

Life Story

• Born in 273AC, Nathan was born into the household of James and Anna Hawthorne, two Unionist farmers who lived close to a modestly sized town in New Ceardia. The second born, he quickly gained a focus on living a successful life after the perceived downfall of his elder brother.
    • In his early adolescence, Nathan worked on the farm and became an apprentice woodworker to his father, often selling nick-knacks to travelers and passerby, learning about the Hodropassi Sect, and coming to worship it foremost. He seemed to be planning for a life as a farmer and pastor.
    • As he reached later years, and a year before becoming an adult, Nathan was sent to the Regal Marshal Academy by his father who saw his prowess at command and large form being of potential promise. After graduation, he took up several jobs back in New Ceardia once more that involved labor and or militia work.
    • Coming into adulthood proper, Nathan signed on with a small mercenary group and took contracts specalized in clearing out bandits or sanguines in the far reaches of the colonies. Eventually, he began to make his own that worked on similar contracts and acted as a free militia to cities it occupied, aiding proper military garrisons and similar.
    • In later life, Nathan found himself more successful, and his company as well under his command. Taking a year in Regalia to stay and visit, he made friends and even became a sort of surrogate brother to one woman. As time went on though and as soon as the Lo Occupation ended, the man quickly went back to New Ceardia once more to aid in the final bits of the Bone Horror Crisis. There he stayed for nearly six years, only occasionally visiting Regalia on trips to gather official charters for his Mercenary Company, the Black Rose as it had come to be known.
    • Nearing the middling years of his life, Nathan has returned to Regalia, given away his company, and merely seeks to live out his years in a relatively calm environment, at most willing to participate in the wars of the Archipelago. A dream to be a Violet perhaps, or similar, safekeeping the people of the Crown City itself as his body is not exactly what it once was, but hardly at its weakest.

Talent Information
    • Warrior 2 (10+ Combat Proficiencies)
    • General 1

#1 CharmedHexes, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  2. Mollymock

Mollymock Regalian Citizen

Hey there! Claiming this app for review! Let's get started.

Please include a Physical Stat calculation, detailing how you came to this value.

Ceardian is not a language. Please remove this from your Languages List.

Your character does not have access to anything bar the Ailor racial abilities, as defined on their wiki page.

Make these edits in Purple and then we're good to go!

3. CharmedHexes

CharmedHexes Refugee

4. Mollymock

5. CharmedHexes

CharmedHexes Refugee

@Mollymock Sorry, I'm a stupid and forgot tactics skills are a thing. I updated my character sheet to reflect the time Nate spent leading his own company. Sorry about this... Fixes were highlighted in purple.

6. Mollymock

7. CharmedHexes

CharmedHexes Refugee

@Mollymock
    I've updated my sheet but have no idea how to logically keep a proficiency or abililty/schooling for him to have the mercenary background. Could I get some help please? I left some points to get commander schooling and then left a gap in years... but even reading the wiki I'm at a loss

8. Mollymock

You don't need to invest any points in anything to claim to be a "mercenary". If you want to have command schooling though, I would recommend the Imperial Regalian Marshal Academy. You just need to sink 3 points in and it lets you participate in war progressions as a commander.

9. Mollymock

You don't need to invest any points in anything to claim to be a "mercenary". If you want to have command schooling though, I would recommend the Imperial Regalian Marshal Academy. You just need to sink 3 points in and it lets you participate in war progressions as a commander.

10. CharmedHexes

CharmedHexes Refugee

Would it also allow me to keep the history of him owning a mercenary company? That's a main point of wanting the commanding skills, and overall one of the key parts to his personality. Something that if I change it I'll probably have to change how he is

Edit note: Also if I am to keep this, realistically how much money might he have?

11. Mollymock

You can say in your backstory your character led a small mercenary company, so long as they haven't done anything of note.

12. Mollymock

The amount of money your character would have is irrelevant since we don't use an economy in massivecraft. You either have it or don't.

13. CharmedHexes

CharmedHexes Refugee

Ok, I think I've updated the sheet than and prepared it to have you fully review it for re-approval. Thank you for the help!

14. Mollymock

Approved

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  15. CharmedHexes

CharmedHexes Refugee

Small rework, redoing points as they seemingly were 4 points over all this time, as well as added a new language with the linguistics update.

16. Mollymock

You have a bit too many points invested in Combat. Please lower them to no more than thirty points invested in combat Proficiencies.

17. CharmedHexes

CharmedHexes Refugee

18. BiBiBirdie

BiBiBirdie The Bird Monarch

Claimed. Expect a review shortly.

19. BiBiBirdie

20. CharmedHexes

CharmedHexes Refugee

@BiBiBirdie Updated character sheet to new template, added prog talents and added pathfinding arts.

Also, fantuinn recently said something about Archan /can/ use sorcery or the new sorcery ranged combat?

#20 CharmedHexes, Nov 11, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  21. BiBiBirdie

Archan cannot use sorcery due to Pure Body 1. Using ranged caster combat directly goes against their niche as purists and leans into concept poisoning.

Please make the following edits and tag me when completed.
    At the moment, your application is at a halfway stage between the two templates. Please fully update to the new template.
    Please include your physical stat here, below your proficiencies.
    Remove this section for the newest template.
    Please place your current life story into a spoiler and include a short, 5 bullet-point summary with the following;
    • 1 bullet point for childhood. Where was your character born? To whom?
    • 1 bullet point for adolescence. What did they spend their early-mid teenage years doing?
    • 1 bullet point for early adulthood. What path did they embark on?
    • 1 bullet point for advanced years if applicable. Older characters have more accomplishments.
    • 1 bullet point to explain why they came to Regalia.

22. CharmedHexes

CharmedHexes Refugee

@BiBiBirdie Redid life story, moved the bodystat under the proficiencies, I think I got it to the new templace now?

Edit: Annddd new ailor update.

#22 CharmedHexes, Nov 13, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  23. BiBiBirdie

Please include your culture here as well.

Otherwise, Approved.