My New High End Gaming Pc!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Joshy54100, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Joshy54100

Joshy54100 ☑ rekt ☐ not rekt

Hey all! I'm excited to announce that I have just bought all the components for a new gaming PC! I got all the parts at Microcenter and had a lot of fun picking them out and buying them. I will post pictures once I have completed the build here, so stay tuned! Without further ado, here is the build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)
    Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99)
    Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($359.99 @ Micro Center)
    Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($87.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($60.00)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($16.00)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For $15.00)
    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($19.99 @ Micro Center)
    Total: $1123.93
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-03 22:46 EST-0500

@MagicalWetToast @Yoloorange @MazzerDK @Asmodeus35 @spectec
    (Tagged people that I knew I talked to about this and spectec since I know he likes computers and runs his own shop so I thought he might want to see it)

What I plan to do with it:
    I will be starting a new YouTube channel dedicated to creating Minecraft content (mainly MassiveCraft), Battlefield content, and other games depending on what I want to play. I will also start streaming every time I get on Massive and stream/record every single raid I participate in.

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  2. Marayla

Marayla The raspberry tea obsessive

;_;
    I have a chromebook...
    My life is basically focused around my computer, (Since my dad is a computer engineer) and I have a chromebook. My life is a lie.

3. Joshy54100

Just go up to @Cruallassar and steal his PC when he's not looking :3

4. Mecharic

Mecharic I'm tempermental, deal with it.
    1. The Second Alliance

I'm just gonna sneak over, "borrow" that, and then vanish into the winds...

I hate my computer.

No f*cking RAM.

5. Joshy54100

And before anyone asks, I did save up for this myself from my job, my family isn't like super rich or something. I am only 17, but I worked hard for this and now it is finally paying off. In a few years my savings will also help college 'pay off' too I guess (looks depressed since he knows college will be hella expensive :()

6. Joshy54100

http://downloadmoreram.com/

Just download some more here :D

7. Mecharic

1. The Second Alliance

Hur. Sad thing is I really could use another 4gig of ram. That would literally solve all of my computer problems (mainly the whole "Civ & Minecraft demand 1-2gig each). Now if only there was a way to run Windows XP/Vista only games on a Windows 7... lol

8. Alj23

Alj23 Regalian Citizen

Do you only have the ssd as your primary hard drive? Just curious, as ssds are usually meant to just have your operating system or your main programs, and then use a normal hard drive to hold all your extra files. I would eventually recommend getting a 1-2 TB hard drive to hold videos, steam games, etc.

Really nice build though. The i7 and the GTX 970 are really nice. Got a lot of power there. Should run Minecraft at 2k+ frames like @Jackson413

EDIT: How did you get the operating system so cheap?

9. Mecharic

1. The Second Alliance

He stole it from my dreams :(

10. Alj23

Alj23 Regalian Citizen

Honestly curious. It's like a $100 operating system normally. I imagine it's some amazing combo deal.

11. Joshy54100

I got the SSD as the only drive because for now I only plan on playing Minecraft and Battlefield 3, and have only a few programs, so I thought that having the speed and fast boot times of an SSD would be nice. I probably will start streaming soon, but not recording until I get a 1TB HDD, which should be relatively soon (~1 month).

I got the OS from here:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/
    It is a legitimate thing, and I checked the code I bought on Microsoft's website to see if it is validated, and it is completely valid and legal. I think the merchants just buy huge amounts of these at once to get great discounts and then sell it for a small profit. Not sure though.

12. Marayla

Well...His is crappy, soooo.....

13. Joshy54100

If it all possible (If your PC and wallet support it, lol) then I would just go out and buy 4 more GB's of ram. It is fairly cheap for only 4GB, but I know you are a college student, and I don't know many of those with cash overflowing from their pockets, so I probably shouldn't judge xD

14. Mecharic

1. The Second Alliance

'murica, where the bills are more than a car and the jobs ain't around. -sigh-

Plus I have to pay dental bills for a root canal & cap. Yep, not buying anything soon. -wishes he lived in Europe-

15. Alj23

Alj23 Regalian Citizen

I'm hopefully going to pick up a job soon and begin acquiring money to work on a PC build that is quite close to this one. Possibly an i5 instead of an i7, although I would love to how an i7, price and funds allowing, and I guess I'll fork out the extra money for the amazing GTX 970 monster GPU. Definitely going with three hard drives though and two monitors. Also going to be getting a mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse from SteelSeries.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joshy54100

That build sounds great. I have a gaming mouse from SteelSeries currently (The Sense RAW Rubberized Black) and I can confirm that is a great mouse at a great price, I would recommend this model to you unless you wanted something with macro buttons, but those are usually only used in MMO's.

17. Alj23

Alj23 Regalian Citizen

How do you like the rubberized? I know it's to keep your grip, and won't get slick from sweaty hands. Important when strafing and reking them noobs.

As for macro buttons, maybe yes. I'll have to take a look again to see what they all offer.

18. Alj23

Alj23 Regalian Citizen

My god if I ended up getting a new PC, I would definately love to get back to playing some mmos. Maybe not something like a monthly subscription to WOW, but there is some cool stuff out there.

I've actually got my build layed out on pcpartpicker (amazing website for anyone that's never used it) but I can't access it right now, and it needs to be changed up a bit. The only difference between yours and mine is I originally put an i5 instead of i7, and a GTX 780 (which I believe was the best for average gamers until the 970 just came out). I think I also opted for 16 gigs of ram. Or maybe I didn't and need to add that in there. 16 is a lot, but I want to be able to do a lot of video editing. As well as I opted for two ssds and I think a 1 TB normal hard drive.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Cruallassar

Cruallassar The shadow of power

Just cause its better than you will ever have...

20. Marayla

"Will ever have?"
    I guarantee that the money that would have been spent on a PC for me was better spent on my drawing tablet, secondary laptop for robotics programming, that circuit board for the sprinkler system that I may or may not get to programming, a really cool camera with multiple add-ons (Including but not limited to a tripod, a flash, many types of polarizers, multiple lenses, etc.), and many other gadgets. It's not like you bought your computer, so you actually have no right to brag about the fact that it's better. Mine was bought for the sole purpose of teaching myself how to program, install different operating systems, do digital art, and do 3D graphics. (Yeah, dad's been cracking down hard on the whole programming thing.)
    Also, at least I have a job with babysitting so that I can raise money to get a PC as well as airsoft guns, whereas you are 5(?) years older and you still don't have even that for a job. (I've been getting, up to 20$ per babysitting job since I'm available on short notice. I don't charge anywhere near that much, but that's what I've been getting)
    Point proven, if you want to continue this, let's take it to a private convo so we don't bother the lovely people of Massivecraft anymore then we have already.

21. ZiHAMMER

ZiHAMMER Violettee is a transgender

22. Zanip

Zanip Swag Cannon

Quick tip of advice...

NEVER GET WINDOWS 8

Edit: Seems like many people disagree, so let me just state: I used Windows 7 before I decided to upgrade around a year ago, in my personal opinion Win8 is terrible

#22 Zanip, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  23. MagicalWetToast

MagicalWetToast

Wow the GTX 970 was in stock im so jelly...

When I build my computer ill play minesweeper at 1000000000000 fps and only minesweeper

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Joshy54100

Building a PC is so hard... Hopefully I don't screw something up, but it's going to take a while to finally finish up the build.

25. Alj23

Alj23 Regalian Citizen

How many of the pieces do you already have? Or did you just order them all?

Also, my question about your mouse:

26. Joshy54100

Oh, sorry, I forgot that question. I really like this mouse, the feel of the material is very good and comfortable, even better than my old Logitech G400 that broke on me. The mouse is a laser mouse, which is also a plus since laser mice are slightly better than optical mice, and in my opinion look nicer since there is no red light beneath it. Also, the illuminated scroll wheel and logo on the mouse are a great touch that help you see it in the dark, though I imagine it would be hard to lose your mouse from on top of your chosen usage surface while gaming...
    My only gripe with it is that it has no DPI increase or DPI decrease to adjust the sensitivity on the fly, but it does have a button to adjust the DPI to a predetermined DPI setting, set in the SteelSeries Engine software that you can download from SteelSeries' website.

I have ordered all the parts and have all of them at my house, besides the SSD because I forgot to get it at Microcenter while there, so I ordered it on Amazon and it should arrive tomorrow.

27. MagicalWetToast

MagicalWetToast

Um this is my mouse until recently, best Logitech iv ever owned.

upload_2014-11-4_19-34-0.png

No need for any fancy stuff just those dots that give you POWER!!!!

28. Alj23

Alj23 Regalian Citizen

Lol. I use a super old Compaq laser mouse I got from who knows where.

29. Joshy54100

UPDATE:
    I went out to Best Buy today and purchased the Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2014 for $100, which IMO is a great price for this amazing keyboard compared to its competitors prices. It is a mechanical keyboard, and when I walked in to try them out, I was amazed out how much more fun and easy it is to type on a mechanical keyboard. The clicky sound is also extremely satisfying and the keyboard looks great with its green backlight.

30. Alj23

Alj23 Regalian Citizen

I've heard from many people (namely @Jackson413 & a friend from school) that all new Razer products are crap. Something about their new "Razer switches" being completely faulty. Curious though, is any part of your keyboard metal, or is it all plastic? I'm looking into getting the SteelSeries 6GV2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with Red Cherry switches. Is about the same price as your Razer keyboard, but a little cheaper on Amazon. It's also suppose to be way more durable than most keyboards.

31. Cruallassar

Cruallassar The shadow of power

...Ok, I admit it, I'm a nerd, not a geek, I deal in fictional tech, not all these things about mice that I never dreamed had this many features and whatnot...my only complaint with my mouse is that the right-click is glitchy, which is a major problem at times...

32. Joshy54100

It is a sort of matte plastic material, not metal, but I personally see no issues with this, it works fine for me. While typing this message, I literally picked up the keyboard and tried to wiggle and bend it slightly, but it litearlly didn't give it all and the wire and keys are outstandingly placed at well, so I say it would have very high build quality. As for the switches, I might have to wait to see if they wear out, but I doubt they do. And all of the keys I have pressed on this new keyboard have worked fine so far, so no issues at all with this keyboard besides maybe the aesthetics (I don't like green or the general shape of the keyboard that much, but to me this doesn't matter that much, only the comfort and functionality of it).

33. ZiHAMMER

IBM Model M (springs(It's older than me and still works perfectly)) > Corsair K70 (MX blues) > Razer BW2k14 (Scrub Greens) > anything else.

34. DisturbedReaper

DisturbedReaper Wambologist

its not hard, ur just bad

• Immersive Immersive x 1
  35. Joshy54100

I built it and it works get rekt, I just need to install the OS and I will be done

• Immersive Immersive x 1
  36. FourThirteen

FourThirteen Yeah that Staff Member Tech3

Can confirm. All Razer products are terrible.

Why?
    1. Their drivers are horrendous. Without them, their products are virtually useless. With them, it takes 3-4 minutes plugged in for them to properly function.
    2. They don't use MX Cherry switches. They use a knockoff called Kaihl switches. They aren't better...at all. My keyboard has issues with double actuation. For instance, if I hit the r key, a good half of the time, it comes out as rr. At least 10 of my keys do this. Razer claims that their switches are better, but why don't other quality mechanical keyboard manufacturers switch to using them?
    3. I have heard loads of issues concerning their controller (basically the piece of circuitry that tells a computer when a key is pressed) chip going bad in lots of the newer keyboards. I am lucky for that not to have happened to me yet.
    4. The on the fly macro function is extremely annoying and useless. There is no way to disable it, and it is super easy to accidentally hit it, making a macro on accident, binding a key to your random macro on accident, and then proceeding to activate the accidentally made macro. Random, unintentionally-made macros on commonly used keys are great for gaming.
    5. Don't buy their mice either. Razer has quality control issues with them. Sometimes you can get great ones that will last a couple years. I was lucky to get one that lasted a whole 1.5 years before not working.
    6. Razer backs all their keyboards with a wonderful warranty of 1 whole year! Source:

Sources
    http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2d5uff/is_it_true_that_razer_keyboards_are_bad/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/27oj9n/is_my_razer_blackwidow_a_bad_keyboard/
    http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalK.../how_bad_are_the_razer_green_switches_really/
    https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37670.0
    http://www.razerzone.com/warranty

Both /r/MechanicalKeyboards and geekhack are communities dedicated to everything related to mechanical keyboards.

Honestly, I'd return that keyboard and buy one of the following:
    • Filco Majestouch 2
    • Filco Ninja
    • Any Ducky Shine
    • KBC Poker II
    • CM Storm
    • SteelSeries 6GV2

Sure you'll spend a bit more money, but these keyboards will last considerably longer and will provide a more enjoyable experience.

Concerning mice, if you are looking to spend money on perhaps on of the best mice on the market, buy a Feenix Nascita. Otherwise a SteelSeries Sensei (not the raw) is a great mouse.

And yes, I'm late to the party.

37. ZiHAMMER

Ha, it's laser. Optic > Laser

38. Joshy54100

Forgot to mention here, I returned that keyboard (It was a little too big to fit on my narrow desk comfortably, and also the loud sound it makes can be annoying when people are near me). I purchased a Corsair K65 RGB instead.
    Also, I have the SteelSeries Sensei RAW Black Edition. I really enjoy it and like it much more than my previous mouse, the Logitech G400 (a mouse renowned for it's low price but reliability and comfort). What's not to like about the RAW?

39. MagicalWetToast

MagicalWetToast

I can confirm with Jackson razer products quality control is awful. Iv had two razer deathadder's (the second one only as I got it for free) When I got the first one it had major tracing issues to the point where it would not track at all or it would skip along my screen. Though I found the second one (and the one I am using now) works great with out any issues and has taking lots of damage due to be being a klutz.