Under Review More Attention To Survival?

Discussion in 'Feature & Idea Discussion - Archive' started by LadyToxicScythe, Feb 7, 2017.

?

what do you think needs to be added to survival?

1. Player versus enviornment

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Player versus player action

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. Factions lore

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  4. Role play stuff in survival worlds

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  5. Ruins and Dungeons

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  6. More survival plugins

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LadyToxicScythe

LadyToxicScythe Refugee

i want to get some ideas going... as a survival player there's not much to do, what can we do to fix this? and can we integrate quests or role play into the factions universe? if so how?

My ideas:
    -Add small housing districts to faction world spawn cities, just like regalia houses, protected, but involved in the lore of the spawn city regalia.

-Fix traits so its easier to survive against the massive mobs, i think it will integrate well with magic, this will help new players stay in survival by making it easier to start on the server.(low key think magic was a great addition though, i cant wait to try it out)

-Add an arena for pvpers to TP to and fight with traits, make kit pvp vanilla, possibly with cash prizes for killing other players in arena. this way raiders don't have to only attack other factions for money. they can do what they love without tiny factions receiving the 24/7 raiding treatment. raiding will still be an option but an in world arena would be a way to disperse the action a tad.

-Add lore to factions, as various settlements under certain names... of course big cities may be an issue but small villages shouldn't be a problem, its possible to make them cannon... small pvp factions would be a bandit camp and large cities would be a settlement of randoms who banded together outside of regalia influence, either peaceful or conquerors. in lore they would be unknowns and disbanded factions means that regalia or the quadir, or other empire conquered the area. larger, or small older factions that applied with a lore backstory could become cannon in a more literal sense.

-Make it easier for factions to grow. i'm gonna need the most ideas on this. its very difficult to get anyone invested in survival as it has very little to offer, other than building. For the pvp community, no faction lasts long enough to grind to the point of being able to defend huge, long, and multiple raids per day. This is leaving many pvpers shut out and waiting for someone to leave a base, and role players being frustrated with the factions side of the server and never wanting to come back to it.

-Adding more activities to survival worlds, ruins to explore, quests, and so on

-Rewarding for staying rather than punishing for leaving. After a player is inactive for about a week they don't come back. people are often appalled that after needing to go for exams their hard work on the server is gone. Some people never came back after their final time logging off, because nothing really stays, which means there's nothing to go back to. Of course this needs to be balanced with the plugins that clear out abandoned stuff, maybe by increasing the inactivity timers or giving "pre-eula prem trait slots" to those who are on at least every other day and voting.

Any other ideas? how do you want to add to the survival side of massive? whats missing? how can we make it more appealing to everyone?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. ChairThief

ChairThief Sand Traveler

As I've mentioned in other threads, I think simply making survival worlds more accessible to people who aren't interested in PvP activities would go a long way. Even if it's only a grace period so they can manage to get a home started.

I'm more than certain there are plenty of people, RPers and otherwise, who would find survival worlds a lot more attractive if they had any functions that allowed people disinterested in PvP to opt out. Most massively multiplayer games that incorporate both PvP and PvE elements have such a feature: WoW, LOTRO, SWTOR, to name a few. They gave their players options- to opt in or out of PvP by either flagging themself on a regular/RP server or playing on a PvP server. And in LOTRO's case, the two activities are almost exclusive of one another.

Personally, I wouldn't advocate to separate the two entirely- I don't think segregating two halves of the same community is the answer. But I do think all players should have a choice, regardless of their play style. The fundamental difference between RP and PvP on Massive at the moment, is that while you aren't forced to RP and you can ignore roleplayers if that's not your cup of tea (pretty universally), people who are disinterested in PvP don't have a choice in the matter if they want to engage themselves in survival activities. And I am not saying that either group (or any of the groups in between) should have their niches taken from them, because that will solve nothing. There needs to be a place for those of all play styles to meet in the middle.

Ideally, I'd say that the best medium to aim for would be a map that allows both parts of the community to co-mingle and do what they enjoy alongside eachother- I think most players would find they have more in common than they think, and people of all play styles might find that they do have some interest in activities they previously thought to be inaccessible for lack of knowledge/skill or just too intimidating to approach.

There are answers out there, and I know there are ways we can get people of all kinds to be kinder and more accepting of others' play styles. The only question is, will anything be done for it, and when? That's something that can only be answered by staff- and I'd like to hear what they have to say on this topic, because ensuring the players' happiness is important to the growth and sustainability of any server :')

• Agree Agree x 3
    #2 ChairThief, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  3. GrunklePeter

GrunklePeter That furry skinner guy

This. This is what we need. All of it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Nekoii

Nekoii neckoii

We already have an arena. Its called /tp pvp. And little to no people fight there on a daily basis. Even if more people decided to fight at the suggested arena, and there was also an incentive, it would still get incredibly boring really fast. Raiding is for the thrill, and also requires a good sense of teamwork which makes it challenging and different from other forms of PvP. In reality, an arena will not reduce raids on factions.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. ZiHAMMER

ZiHAMMER Violettee is a transgender

All we need is diorite adminshop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. BenRekt

BenRekt Chopper Gunner

The part about having purchasable RP homes in the survival worlds is gold. I think the huge gap between RP and PvP was in fact caused by the implementation of Regalia, as people actually used to RP in the survival worlds' spawn towns and it added a LOT to the whole atmosphere of the server.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Conflee

Conflee Me an the bois at 3 am lookin for BEANS!

Im all for pretty much all of this.

My biggest thing that I love about survival, as a roleplayer, is exploration. The ruins- both made by the map, and of old faction bases- are amazing to wander around in.

Adding more extensive ruins, with spawners and loot chests, and having them refresh every month or so, would go a long way towards pulling in more people I think.

I think a plugin like portcuuses, but for bridges, would be a handy addition as well. Make functional draw bridges.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. BenRekt

BenRekt Chopper Gunner

bump

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. LadyToxicScythe

LadyToxicScythe Refugee

10. Omnomivore

Omnomivore ⛓ Nom Nom ⛓ Premium

I will note this as a feature suggestion. It may not get people to play more survival though, and there may be some concern about spreading roleplayers out in different worlds (as they are just roleplaying in world spawns then).

Noted and addressed in your previous suggestion on another thread.

PvPrs currently have KoTH and Kit PvP to tp to and fight in. While cash prizes could be nice, it could easily be abused by someone grabbing a friend and killing them repeatedly for the regal reward (and vice versus).

This has been suggested and rejected multiple times due to the upkeep of such lore when factions are often so temporary.

We are looking into this. The next few months the Tech and Direction Department will be focusing our attention on the Factions plugin to see what and how we can improve it and give it some much needed TLC.

As I mentioned on a previous thread, we may look at adding in some hidden dungeons again at some point though this requires a great deal of inter-department planning and coordination. This is not our focus for now since we are working on Factions.

The inactivity timers are pretty steep for players that have been premium or around a lot [30 days - 100 days] but we have also always stood by the concept that if someone KNOWS they are going to be inactive/on vacation for X amount of time where they risk losing their faction they can request to have their faction temporarily made permanent. I believe not a lot of people may be aware of this. Additionally, the major problem being pointed at here really is MassiveRestore/taxes. MassiveRestore is necessary, taxes is globally spited by players and will likely be re-reviewed when we are going over Factions features and suggestions.