Pending Review Martial Arts [ Structured Like The School Of Knights ]

Discussion in 'Roleplay' started by Conflee, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Conflee

Conflee Me an the bois at 3 am lookin for BEANS!

Basically: Bring in various Martial Arts- Eastern, European, South American, whatever- to lore under a structure system similar to the School of Knights, with an emphasis on styles and codes of conduct/philosophies.

Ideas to work on:

• Savate - French Boxing with a focus on leg work. Could be an Ithanian, or whatever that patriarchy Ithanian side whatever culture I forget thing, with a code of conduct reflective of chivalry since that is held in high regards.
    • Judo - A Sihai style with an emphasis on joint locks and holds. Obviously would need that lore coat of paint to not be a direct copy and stop the weebs from abusing it to dodge arrows or w/e but you know.
    • Capoeira - Brazilian martial art with an emphasis on power and speed. Maybe reworked as a Daendroque thing.
    • Anglian Boxing - Basically modern dirty boxing. There was something like this in lore once but I forget the details.
    Basically the point is to make some unarmed fighting styles/orders similarly to how the Knightly Orders are set up. Im not good at much beyond that concept, but there are plenty of areas to draw inspiration from. Martial arts often gets generalized to "that fancy oriental shit" but it technically covers pretty much everything down to sword fighting. Of course, the focus of this is unarmed, but even with that limit there are like 30 kinds of boxing that have existed through history from South America to Africa to Europe and the East etc. Lore would be better suited to figuring out the specifics. I do think there is a need for it though, maybe not a large need but unarmed martial arts has been a large part of various cultures through history, so seeing that reflected a bit would be good. Of course, efforts need to be made to stop the "Weeb TM" stuff from spilling in, as some noobs would inevitably try to use it to powergame if its not done carefully. They still might but, the community can self-police itself enough to handle that.

• Powerful Powerful x 4
  2. Arganam

Arganam Lord Brandt von Eisner

You had me at Anglian boxing.!

(Jk, you actually had me at the first paragraph,)

but Anglian boxing

• Like Like x 1
  3. FireFan96

FireFan96 Ever present, Ever seeing Staff Member Lore2

Unlike School of Knights, every single one of these schools would sum up to Unarmed Combat Skill, Bodycare Training, and Atheltic Training. Graklak and Lecgaen both exist, but one is more boxing, the other more wrestling. While this could be used to argue for additional "UBA Schools," they really don't serve a purpose beyond minor padding.

I feel (subjectively) player focus more on the proficiency on the school than the lore surrounding it. So there is no reason to have 20 UBA schools, or even just one mega page of UBA schools. School of Knights works because each of them is a branch of the Viridian origin point, and have diversified their codes and skillsets.

Finally, there's nothing stopping players from creating a small made up school. Sure it won't be recognized as a major one, but I find it hard to believe that there isn't some playwright school in Axford, or some officer schools in Calamberg, or viticulture in Ithania. If you want some martial arts school that has some realistic place in the lore setting, then just say you went to some minor school. Or some mentorship. Or self taught.

4. Conflee

Conflee Me an the bois at 3 am lookin for BEANS!

Mostly the idea is to make little groups like the knight orders have. Technically anyone could make up their own school etc but nobody ever does. Its just more groupings and fun shenanigans, plus most hand-to-hand schools tended to have a more philosophical element to them compared to knightly orders and such that had variants of chivalry instead.

5. Arganam

Arganam Lord Brandt von Eisner

Time for me to become Bruce Lee it seems.

6. Kleinfolk

Kleinfolk cool beans

It should be a rule that any martial artist has to scream a nonsensical noise as they attack.
    Hiii-ya