Archived Maps

This suggestion has been archived / closed and can no longer be voted on.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this isn't possible but i'm proposing the idea anyway :P

Currently, maps (meaning the map item) are limited to whatever world they were created in, as switching worlds clears the map and occasionally will re-fill the map with the same coordinates but on the new world you entered.

Is it possible to somehow make the maps stay when crossing worlds? it would help for factions that are in different worlds and want to have maps all together.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I am not sure about the technical side of this, but I will do some research for you and see whether that would be possible at all.

Theoretically, with a lot of digging and most likely a lot of dirty nms (decompiled minecraft code), it would be doable.

As you noticed, currently the x/z coordinates get stored (along with the world), but since you switch servers the map can't find the world anymore and thus takes the world you are in.

We could potentially store a map pixel by pixel when you leave a server and reconstruct it again on the other server....but it wouldn't be a real map on the other server anymore, it'd just be a shallow copy and not really be usable anymore.

Soo....yes, it's doable. But it will not be easy if it ever get's implemented.

but it wouldn't be a real map on the other server anymore, it'd just be a shallow copy and not really be usable anymore.
Right. I was thinking this idea to be used more for factions that have bases in different worlds. So they could have the maps all together. So the functionality of the map wouldnt be necessary anymore. It simply would be used for item frame

A feature that would probably be better, especially with the upcoming world that will not have a Dynmap, would be to make the maps show a larger portion of the world than vanilla minecraft currently allows (Without using more than one map). I think this feature could be made fairly easily into a feature for premiums, but I'm not sure @ulumulu1510

Do you know the difficulty of what it'd take to make this happen?

Premium feature: Not allowed, it would clearly give the premiums an advantage to see a larger part of the map than what normal people do.

Again, this would be possible (we'd not have maps but static pictures again), but the code for this and to keep it persistent between servers would be a nightmare.

Based on Ulumulu's feedback I think it is safe to reject this feature. It sounds like the time of coding and Tech implementation is too great for the reward it would bring to the playerbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.