Magic And Proficiencies - The Not Dumb Way

Discussion in 'Feature & Idea Discussion - Archive' started by _Grimmy_, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Grimmy_

_Grimmy_ Magic? More Like Mag-ick, am I right, purists.

I have two simple suggestions, one to makes mages less useless in gemral and one to allow kathar magic to function properly.

Mages as they currently are within the system are at a disadvantage in their own field against a non-magic based char, but don't worry there's a simple fix. Make each spell give a single point in void/exist with 10 giving a nice fat 20 simply because said char is so specialized that they mostly just sit on the sidelines in most interactions. This also removes the although funny, but horrifying realisation that mages don't have any idea what they're doing, which would make sense if they followed pshyker rules.

The second one is simple, remove school points from kathar magics cap as long as the school covers at least one proficiency used. This wouldn't really be much of a balance breaking feat since you could only have like 1 extra spell at worst and not suffer the extreme specialization penalty mages suffer for no real added benefit due to either permissions needed or just the no pets rule.

2. FireFan96

FireFan96 Ever present, Ever seeing Staff Member Lore2

I disagree with both suggestions for similar reasons: mages who learn a lot of spells should not have regular proficiency levels.
    1. I don't see a benefit to having a mage have void/exist knowledge as a default proficiency boost. It is mostly talking about the difference planar essences and not actually about magic.
    2. Kathar magic is designed to have characters use a proficiency. So in order to maximize their magic, they spend more time on combat than other mages. They have to choose whether to have one super powerful spell, or several weaker ones. It's a trade off magic system and I think it's fine as is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Suzzie

Suzzie elf appreciator

I disagree here. Here’s a snippet of a conversation from the proficiency Q/A thread.

Void/Exist knowledge would make sense for a mage especially given that it does cover magic. I imagine that learning magic has to involve knowing things about the “electricity” and where it comes from, to some degree.

4. FireFan96

FireFan96 Ever present, Ever seeing Staff Member Lore2

Point taken, though I would assume minor Planar Knowledge should go with Construct Magic and/or Soul Magic as well.

5. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

Not even going to legitimize this thread's undertone with a serious response. Locking for hostile content.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.