Literature Lore Project Announcement Post

Discussion in 'Roleplay Discussion' started by HydraLana, Jun 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HydraLana

HydraLana The Very Gay Walking Talking Lore Encyclopedia Staff Member Lore3

Dear citizens and members of MassiveCraft, today I must sadly report we at the MassiveCraft staff have had a destructive fire! Don’t worry, all of our lore is intact, our coding is safe, and our schematics have never been more innovative! Buuut our library was unfortunately burned down to the ground. We still have some of the old works in our archives, but sadly we don’t have much reading material anymore. That, my good friends, is where you come in…
    linebreakv2.png
    Hello players of MassiveCraft, my name is HydraLana. Today I am pleased to announce the launch of the Literature Project. A few years ago, staff headed a project to have players add “Tales” or pieces of more flexible and less formal writing onto the wiki to serve as pieces of or whole texts one might find In-Game. Well, today that project returns with me at the head and a new lease on that section.

How to Use Literature
    At first glance, Literature holds an odd place on the Wiki but is actually one of the more useful sections for In-Character roleplaying. Literature has four main categories, with three levels of knowledge. They are:
    • Common Knowledge: Common knowledge is knowledge or information that can be freely known to all characters, regardless of social standing or cultural background.
    • Nobility Knowledge: Nobility knowledge is only attainable by those of the highest classes in Aloria. The knowledge within this section would be considered highly guarded, and unobtainable by those from lower or common classes unless specifically granted unto by a character that falls within this standing.
    • Specialized Knowledge: Specialized knowledge is knowledge obtainable only by characters who come from certain environments, specialized in certain fields, or studied certain events. I.E, characters who were born and raised within the province of Ithania wouldn’t know much from literature from the Masaya of Farah’deen.
    Characters can therefore interact with Literature if they follow these levels of knowledge. Players can have their characters discuss the content of the stories, the writing style of the authors and for Drama, put on the plays written themselves.

Project Details
    Unlike other projects, we will not have an application process for this project but instead, allow players to try their hand at adding to the Wiki freely. We ask that submitters try their hardest at proper grammar, punctuation, and lore compliant content. The one exception to the expectation of lore compliance is the Nonfictional Prose section. A larger list of what to do and what not to do is available in the Repository. This thread is to also serve as a question space while a link will be provided to both the format for your writing and another thread where people will post their works.

Literature Project Submissions Repository Link: LINK

Literature Wiki Format Link: LINK

Literature Examples: LINK

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Cuddles! Cuddles! x 1
  2. Motherland

Motherland The forgotten ancient

I like this. I'll work on something.

3. Enkiduu

Enkiduu Looming

Is there a minimum word count?

4. HydraLana

5. Enkiduu

Enkiduu Looming

6. HydraLana

It depends on the subject and situation. If you write a myth that is only two sentences, it will be rejected as opposed to one that is three or four paragraphs. Generally however, a minimum would be 500 words I would guess.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AtticCat

AtticCat haeksen van regalia

So can we write stories that are passed down by like story-tellers and stuff? Like for the Claith stories since most Claiths can't read on Eriu-Innis?

8. HydraLana

For stories with older origins and no know author, either the author who took down the story can work or leaving the author as "Unknown" works fine.

9. Beetletoes

Beetletoes Regalian Prince

Neat, might try writing a story or two

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Spoodercell

Spoodercell A member of Elizabeth Black's army of orphans,

Are we permitted to write diaries/journals, as long as said articles are compliant with current lore? The personal journal of a soldier or guard who is now deceased, for example. Also, I've noticed, on all the examples of literature articles, there is an "Author" section. Should we write our OOC usernames, or IC names? And what if the book isn't written by your character? My character is a 10 year old child, for example. He wouldn't write a story about how he died in some war centuries ago.

11. HydraLana

1. You can but they must be a published work and cannot be something only one person could possess, they must be available works for people to discuss in RP.
    2. If you are creating a work, you are free to name the author or leave it as Unknown. However, if the book was written by your character, you must list "Unknown" in the Author section as to name your own character is glorification and self-insertion.
    3. If the book is not written by your character, you are free to name the author or leave it as Unknown.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Spoodercell

Spoodercell A member of Elizabeth Black's army of orphans,

Thank you so much for your incredibly quick response, this answered every question I had about this project.
    I'll try to contribute as much as possible, as writing is a hobby of mine.

13. Theoderic

Theoderic Beggar

When's the deadline to submit? I'm very interested!

14. AtticCat

I don't believe ther eis a deadline

15. HydraLana

Approximately the end of July.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  16. HydraLana

17. HydraLana

This is a formal one month bump! At the end of July, this project will close so continue to submit those works everyone!

18. AtticCat

I'm going to start working on another one soon!

19. soapboxstage

soapboxstage a muppet of a man

wait so we just give them our lore ideas?
    I'm so confused

20. soapboxstage

or is this just race culture?

21. AtticCat

Write a story or document that can be part of the lore. It can be a fairy tale that some tell, a guide or directions to create build something or do something, etc. Just look at the list of choices and write something!

22. AtticCat

@cpt_manta_ray

23. soapboxstage

school has been hell recently, but I will work on this this weekend

24. Jalapeno690

Jalapeno690 Doge of Helvetica

I have quite allot of old books from factions past I could submit to this, most are rp based

25. HydraLana

Well feel free to read the submission repository information and follow that for your submission.

26. MokeDuck

MokeDuck Hail the duckfather!

I have a very, VERY long poem I randomly wrote about a dwarf as a sort of alorian-myth thing. would love to share it, as it was for a contest a while back and the project became a bit more serious than I thought

27. The Golem

The Golem chiken nugge

Would songs involving combat for warrior races/characters be permitted? Hard to cite an example, but I'm interested in writing something for most of the Races. Is this feasible?

@HydraLana

28. HydraLana

Well feel free to read the submission repository information and follow that for your submission.
    Do you mean war songs? Can you find some IRL equivalent or refrence if it is not that?

29. The Golem

The Golem chiken nugge

I rolled the idea over my head and decided it would be derogatory songs or works towards racial enemies. I was thinking of making them something a Dwarven bard could use to curse the Dakkar, or a Meraic scripture discussing knife-eared animal slaves. A collection for most of the races to have something to chant at a gathering, or belittle an enemy race to increase a sense of brotherhood.

I am willing to send examples of one work before I do another, but I don't want to set myself up for something that won't be accepted. Whatchu think?

@HydraLana

30. HydraLana

Oh, that kind. Sure that first one sounds good though the second one, not so much as the Meraic are gone and the Circci memories are too corrupted to even remember such a poem correctly.

31. HydraLana

The Literature Project is now closed! Overall there were nearly 30 total submissions and I'd like to thank everyone who came out to do said submitting. We will be processing and publishing most if not all of the works we have been given to date. I wish you all a good evening and thank you again for all your work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.