Lifeguard Decree - 10/04/309

Discussion in 'Regalian Roleplay' started by Northern_Ireland, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Northern_Ireland

Northern_Ireland Official Account for the NI Secretary of State

From the Office of Lifeguard Commissioner Duke Cillian Mac Conall

I - Preamble
    II - Concerning Palests and Palest Turnover
    III - Concerning House Keen and The Ivory Company
    IV - Commendations and Condemnations
    V - Conclusion

[​IMG]

I - Preamble

It is with a dutiful heart that I find myself writing this decree behind my Estate's study-desk. Often the duties of a Lifeguard Commissioner are uneventful. Myself and predecessors log the rosters of House-Guards, record changes in Palest assignments and investigate reports made against either of the aforementioned categories. Yet it is a fairly rare occasion that I am bound by by office to write a decree, usually reserved for changes in law, etiquette or with events most dire. Unfortunately for this city, the primary concern of this posting is the latter of the three.

Overall, I have mixed feelings on how the Peerage have utilised their Palests and Houseguards this Spring season. Bar a few exceptions (See section IV) most Noble Houses are rarely seen- if ever with their recorded palests. House-Guard retinues have been sent to me, some individuals have been interviewed, yet I have only seen a grand total of two when I find myself touring the streets or attending Noble Events. Thus, in section V, I will make further mention of points that can be improved on and what I hope to see in the future. Before that however, the following will be addressed:

II - Concerning Palests and Palest Turnover

In up-to-date Regalian Law statute, there is no mention of Palests. Some voices in this city may claim that this indeed means Palests have no legally recognised existence and thus no duty to be recorded by my office, I disagree. Palesthood has been a feature of this city for so long, with countless notable figures owning, or serving as one. The recent verdict of the Regalian Judiciary in setting a precedent for issuing a court-order in cancelling someone's service as a Palest only reinforces my decision that Palests operate as a convention in this city. While they may not have direction mention in Regalian statute, they are indeed vital to the protection of our good Peerage, and very much have a place within the City. It is for this reason that the following policy is will now be in force:

• Houses will; be obligated to remove a palest serving one of their family members upon notification by the Lifeguard Commissioner following a decision by the Lord Chancellor, Lord Commander or Regalian Judiciary.

Concerning palest turnover, no Noble House at the moment has dismissed the required number for me to confidently reveal them in this posting. Though a current pair of particularly large Noble Families are approaching the line. It should be noted that unless there is a particularly dire explanation for the removal of a Palest- such as theft, unreliability, cowardice, criminality or orders from the above mentioned entities- the turnover will be scribed as needless. Family's are encouraged to be careful in selecting a palest as a palest "returning to their homeland" is not counted as a dire explanation, especially if it occurs mere weeks after their appointment- as has happened on numerous occasions. Should you not be confident that someone will remain in service as a palest for an extended amount of time, the Lifeguard Commissioner suggests recruiting them as a Houseguard instead.

III - Concerning House Keen and The Ivory Company

Following the Judicial decision on the 3rd of April, 309AC- The Ivory Company, operated by Duke Keen was forcefully dismantled by means of a Court Order due to the particularly gruesome behavior of some of its members against those of the Noble Peerage- including the assault, shackling and imprisonment of a Duchess.

While this is not a topic I believed I would be writing about when I began preparing this decree last-week, a number of noble Peers have reached out inquiring as to this. Is Duke Keen permitted to hire ex-Ivories and take them on as Houseguards to House Keen? The answer is no. The decision to dismantle the Ivory Company was made due to their inherent misbehavior in interacting with members of the Peerage. I could not in good faith allow the very same members who show themselves as a clear danger to the Nobility to operate even closer to the Peerage in a capacity as that of House Guards.

That being said, House Keen is still permitted- as per their Noble privilege, to recruit and hire a House-Guard retinue of their own. My stipulation is that no ex-Ivory Company member may join it, for fear they will carry with them their offensive behavior to the Peerage and risk the safety of any who carry blue blood within this city. I will, however- allow one exception. Should any of these ex-mercenaries feel obligated to protest my decision, they will be granted the opportunity to write to me and request a meeting. Should they satisfy my assessment that they are no longer a risk to the Regalian Nobility, they will be granted work among any of the Noble Houses in this city.

IV - Commendations and Condemnations

Due to the sheer lack of Nobility being seen venturing around the city with their chosen Palest, nor House-Guard retinues operating frequently at events. I'm regretful to inform that only one palest has been officially recognised for their active duty at protecting their designated noble.

• Ser Howland of the Black Crow, Knight of the Viridian Order is hereby recognised and commended for his active and dutiful service in protecting and serving Lady Marie-Paule Delmotte. The Lifeguard Commissioner has observed this ernest Knight as gifted in his marshal-prowess and true adherence to the code for which his Order is famous for. He sets the standard for what this Office envisions all Palests should be. Competent, pro-active and dutiful.
    As mentioned, there are no official condemnations to be offered to any current Houses for their choice of Houseguards or Palests. There are- two unnamed Houses that are approaching the line of excessive Palest-turnover, however they will not be disclosed in this posting until further unjustified dismissals are observed.

V - Conclusion

All new decisions are in effect upon the posting of this decree. I encourage all Houses to be more seen actively utilising their Palests and Houseguards, be it at events or in general around the city. It is a right that the majority in this city do not posses and was put in place by Regalian Law in order to protect the lives of the Nobility in this good City and Empire.

Signed:
    His Grace Cillian Mac Conall​

Duke of Wickthur
    Lifeguard Commissioner​

• Powerful Powerful x 14
    • Constructive Constructive x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Hemingway7

Hemingway7 unenlightened centrist

@MantaRey im not crying you're crying

• Powerful Powerful x 4