Aloria Story Progression Imperial Proclamation: Passage Of Arms

Discussion in 'Progression Events' started by MonMarty, Mar 8, 2017.

1. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

From the Imperial Palace, a comprehensive law and policy change in regards to the functioning of the Judiciary, the Noble Court Rights and extensive legal actions which some individuals within the Empire may have have access to, with the passing of this bill. The Crown Prince submits the Passage of Arms Act, a law aimed at partially legalizing Honor Duels, as a means to slim down the Judiciary's bureaucracy, while also reducing the upkeep cost of civil servants and simplifying/redacting Noble Court privileges. An introduction to the law from his Imperial Holiness:

"As previously indicated, the new policies set by the Imperial Crown will be those of military and austerity. The rule of law has been an important aspect of the Regalian State, to distinguish our fair Empire from that of the uncivilized wastelands that is everything beyond our borders. That being said, we are of the opinion that Ithanian pacifism has too strictly dominated the legal bureau's of this Empire, and that as such more simplified and functional forms of justice have been removed in favor of long drawn and expensive court cases of words. As the Crown, I deem it necessary to within every asset of the state, encourage the nobility in particular to lead by example, and provide every means they can to assist the state war machine that is the Regalian Navy. It is of my belief, that a Noble Family without any warriors or the ability to attract foreign champions, is not truly a family at all, and should rather be degraded to that status of Yeomanry.

Rather than the concept of a luxury, the Crown deems the necessity for a military arm within every Noble household to be paramount, and seeks to reinforce this. As such, the Crown seeks to establish the Passage of Arms Act that should legalize honor duels between Noble Households, while suspending the peer judgement right of the nobility in favor of a slimmed down judiciary. By removing the necessary paperwork, justicars and bureaucratic processes, the state's involvement with justice on a more abstract scale becomes nonexistent. This is both austere and more productive, while also encouraging each family to seek a stasis level of security by investing in either its own martial members, or by encouraging them strongly to attract foreign talent for the position of champion, which will then also translate to a healthier more martial way of thinking as a whole, which will benefit the Empire. Evidently, the Crown seeks not to establish a rule of tyrants and strong arms. Rather what the Passage of Arms Act implies, is that Noble disputes with regards to slights of reputation, slights of honor, or misconduct in business, should be concluded in an honor duel as opposed to in paper in court. The Imperial Scribes will detail the exact functioning of this act to the people."

In order for the Passage of Arms Act to come into play, some laws have been repealed
    • The Anti Jacobinism Law has its canon application revoked. This means that the Anti Jacobinism law will still be in place, however the sub article for canon law has been removed, meaning that the Bluesteel Order will no longer arrest citizens of any social ranking for offending Nobility.
    • The Noble Court Right Law has been scrapped entirely. Previously Nobility could be exempt from a civilian tribunal or Court Martial to receive an Imperial Court Case only as a privilige. This privilige has been suspended, and can only be applied on invitation of the Imperial Crown, and with the Crown accepting said invitation.
    The exact wording of the Passage of Arms Act is as followed
    • Any person who finds themselves to be a Noble of Noble Lineage, high Political Office or esteemed rank in the Imperial Government or any person accusing such an individual, either before or during a non-finished trial, has the right to summon forth a Passage of Arms Act to settle a legal matter, in favor of a court trial. The resulting victor will be the binding winner and a before agreed sum must be paid by the loser, while any further civilian court proceedings will immediately halt indefinitely.
    • Any person who finds themselves challenged in a Passage of Arms Act and proceeds to reject the notion of an Honor Duel either by proxy or by person, will incur an Imperial State fine set by the Crown to compensate the state and the cause of Unionism for the cowardice or noncompliance with the Crown's military agenda.
    • Any person who finds themselves to be a Noble of Noble Lineage, high Political Office or esteemed rank of the Imperial Government, and has their reputation, honor or self value grieved by another of peerage rank, may call for a Passage of Arms Act even without a civilian court trial or the deemed necessity for one, as stipulated by the Law Enforcement. However, such an Act is not guaranteed, and must be submitted in letter to the Imperial Advisers or the Crown himself for approval.
    What this means in practice
    • Any Noble may avoid imprisonment or a court trial by calling a Passage of Arms Act (Honor Duel). In such a case, those that are accusing them must present a champion of their own and accept, or reject and face a fine from the government. Winning such a Duel would have all punishments lifted. Losing such a duel means a heavier fine to the accusing party.
    • Any Noble may call for a Passage of Arms Act (Honor Duel) when they feel another Noble Family has damaged their: Reputation, Honor or Self Value. However, such a Duel is not guaranteed and must be approved by at least one Imperial Advisor, or the Crown himself.
    Some additional Notes
    • Yes this technically means that commoners are now in a legal loophole where they can legally insult nobility and get away with it. However, the Bluesteel Order is fully expected to start prosecuting these acts as disturbance of the peace, as insulting nobility (for being nobility) is deemed hate speech. There is a small exception to the case when it comes to insults at nobility, or insults for nobility. For example, you can get away with calling Count XYZ a knobhead, but you will get arrested for saying Count XYZ is just another one of those greedy nobles.
    • All applications of the Arms of Passage Act are non-lethal. Duels are held until either side draws blood, or either side receives a debilitating wound, or either side surrenders. Dismemberment and death are still illegal, and these acts performed in a duel will be prosecuted by the state for murder and maiming. That being said, a court case that flows out of a murder case in a duel, can have the Passage of Arms Act invoked again, theoretically creating an endless cycle of murder duels. The Government can in such cases intervene and call down an inquisition however, which is entirely unaffected by the Passage of Arms Act.
    The act is effective immediately and as per the Crown's statements granted: "Assensu et voluntate, sine actu" meaning that local governments may remodel and restyle and recompose this law to suit local needs, but the moral implications and the ideology behind it are declared by intent, and as such to bar or ruin them otherwise is heresy (this basically means the State Council can vote on how the law is executed, but they must safeguard why the law was implemented in some way).

• Winner Winner x 12
    • Immersive Immersive x 1
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Daekon

Daekon gay

This is really interesting. Could prove for some great rp, as well as a way I create combat to in the upper circles. I like it!
    Also very nicely written Marty.

• Like Like x 3
  3. TinySnowcloud

TinySnowcloud Growing Blizzard of Dreams

Pardon? Was Cedric a little drunk, because this seems backwards to me

4. Tibertastic

Tibertastic Man of the People

He's not a statesman, so...

5. AtticCat

AtticCat haeksen van regalia

"As people turned away, Kestrel saw a clear path to Irex, tall and black-clad in the center of the space marked for the duel." -The Winner's Curse

6. TinySnowcloud

I know, but that sentence seems contradictory to the rest of his thesis. His words imply that more drawn out and expensive cases are a fallacy of the state, which agrees with the rest of the Act, but the sentence explicitly states that more simple cases are being put aside in favor of lengthy and costly ones, even as it criticizes them.

Am I reading too much in?

7. Tibertastic

Tibertastic Man of the People

Yeah I think you are lol

He means to cut the smaller irrelevant cases by introducing this, rather than having the judiciary cater for every little insult and tiffle between nobility.

8. Wumpatron

Wumpatron Das Wump

What he's saying is that the Ithanian pacifism led to the drawn our lengthy trials. That sentences that should have been simple have been drawn out. Really it's a critique of how the current court system has become. Then he begins his address stating the Passage of Arms as a means of countering this pacifist notion that the courts have become.

9. Wumpatron

Wumpatron Das Wump

trial-by-combat.gif

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. fuithlug

fuithlug slaps pie+

Does this include un-legitimised children of nobles?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Film_Noir

Film_Noir Snowdonian Pirate

How are victors decided? Is it roll-based based on character app. and simply acted out, or is it purely based on how the fighters rp duel in-game? @MonMarty

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ellimairy

Ellimairy Sophia Du Polignac

Sophia tapped her fingers against the desk, turning her head to look at the fireplace.

''Gerard? Pen a letter to Ithania. I think that I finally need some help.''

She sighed, before turning back to the letter.

''This man is insane. Completly insane.''

13. MonMarty

Entirely up to the duelers to decide upon. They can either use my reinforced roll system like was used at the Coen Tournament, or they can use /dice 20 at a flat rate, or just roleplay it out.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  14. TutiDias

TutiDias General Vladislav Marknid

If it isn't too long, can you explain how your roll system works? Might even be good to put it in char apps. Maybe you should create a rp guide.

15. MonMarty

No because that leads to mix-maxing of character traits.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BeetrootSalad

BeetrootSalad the gremlin Supremium

wait i could totally kill someone, honor-duel for it and kill more people...
    Let's start another purging spree.
    Aw shucks.

17. Xersai

Xersai Aeternian Revenant

There should be a bastardised version of this for commoners or peasants, where killing and dismembering is allowed and that the viewers or spectators may not go to any law enforcement to report any casualties.

18. littleshep101

littleshep101 Your Supreme Overlord

I have heard of this before and is this literally what this is saying? xD

19. Mortisian

Mortisian The Flesh is Weak, the Machine is Strong

Attached Files:

20. _Grimmy_

_Grimmy_ Magic? More Like Mag-ick, am I right, purists.

I mean you can minax for the ultimate pq char in a field already with put knowing the roll system, it's just nice to know...

Because knowing's half the battle.

21. TinySnowcloud

I think he was referring to putting the toll system in character sheets

22. _Grimmy_

_Grimmy_ Magic? More Like Mag-ick, am I right, purists.

Hmm...I took it as "people will min max strengths to for certain things" which is already possible with how easy it is to just pump out an expert fighter.

23. Wumpatron

Wumpatron Das Wump

More or less, I mean technically it is a literal trial by combat.

24. littleshep101

littleshep101 Your Supreme Overlord

I was saying is this thread saying insulting nobles is allowed and trial by combat?

25. Wumpatron

Wumpatron Das Wump

Insulting an individual noble is allowed. Insulting nobility in general is illegal by terms of disturbing the peace. Trial by combat (passage of arms) is permitted to nobles in the case of a court trial.