I Need Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Crystal98, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Crystal98

Crystal98 The Uncreative Creative

This is probably a really weird place to ask, but, how do I stop wanting to roleplay? I know I’m not fit for it, yet I keep trying, and I really need to be able to just stop. Can anyone help me?

2. BornAsEpic

BornAsEpic Beggar

quit it. Stupid question, stupid asnwer

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Crystal98

4. maddydaddyy

maddydaddyy deadinside™

I know this might not be what your looking for but if you keep wanting to role play then keep role-playing. There's no use in wanting to stop wanting to role play.
    I don't really get what you mean by saying your not fit for it.

5. Crystal98

By “not fit for it” I mean exactly that, I’m really bad at writing, at least fictionally. Not to mention every character I use ends up having my personality. I keep getting excited and ready to do it again but then I realize I can’t and I just feel terrible.

6. Lumbo

Lumbo Regalian Pleb Premium
    1. ~-{Deldrimorian Dominion}-~

Just stop playing?

Play a different game, do something else, etc

This is more of a personal matter, if you can’t stop roleplaying maybe check with a doctor or get professional help? We aren’t professionals nor do we know your interests or who you are as a person?

7. Gabauchi

Gabauchi Goblin Babe (Local Hotsexy)

i mean if that's the case i think you should keep at it! it's with practice that we become better at things. you just need to be patient with where you are and keep striving to improve.

• Constructive Constructive x 1
  8. Crystal98

I can’t stop, because I keep trying before I re-realize how bad I am. This hasn’t worked before, but I wanted to see whether anyone could help me here.

9. maddydaddyy

maddydaddyy deadinside™

When I first joined the server I was crap at role play I had bad grammar (I still do now lolol) but I kept at it. My characters had my personality too. It just makes it easier to role play like that. Actually only recently did I start doing odd or different personalities to help me get better and just for something new.
    I'm still kinda bad at role play and with my anxiety I'm even worst but I still try it because its exciting and fun. You aren't gonna become a good roleplayer over night if you just started either.
    Just be in it for the fun don't think about whether your grammar is bad or if you misspelled a words. Having fun is key and if you keep putting yourself down then you wont have fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. GoodDreamer

GoodDreamer The Regalian Nuke Supremium

You don't need to know how to write to roleplay, and a character having your personality isn't the worst thing in the world. Most people here started off with a character like that. If this is something you enjoy, you shouldn't let a lack of expertise be what puts you down. If staying in character is what you think your problem is, then the community here is a great resource to mine for advice.

11. FireFan96

FireFan96 Field Marshal of the 2nd Army Group Supremium
    1. House von Drachenburg

So I joined Massivecraft for Factions. Mineman RP seemed to be really odd, and I couldn't fathom why anyone would waste their time doing it. It seemed silly. Fast forward and @BillyTheScroofy goes and almost arrests me for my red eyed skin, and I actually thought it wasn't as bad as I thought. Now I only rp.

Everyone is gonna suck in the beginning. Be it writing, portrayal, whatever. The learning curve for the lore is notable, but not impossible. We all started out terrible, and we learned to get over it. And for those that didn't, they still have fun regardless, and more power to them.

I don't see an issue with characters sharing your personality. In fact, every character created is gonna be a projection of your personality or someone close to you in some degree, because it is incredibly easy to react to things as if you are there instead of trying to comprehend a different type of personality.

If you really don't want to roleplay, then survival is the way to go. Factions can be just as enjoyable as roleplay on here. There is also the quest world to collect items to either save or sell to everyone on the server. Though it seems like you have already jumped down the rabbit hole, so why not venture further out?

12. Crystal98

I’m not sure how to respond now.
    I mean-you’re all making me want to try again, but,
    It’ll fail again, like it has the last ten or so times.

• Like Like x 1
  13. maddydaddyy

maddydaddyy deadinside™

Well yeah its going to fail if you keep saying it will.
    Just have fun with it.

14. FireFan96

FireFan96 Field Marshal of the 2nd Army Group Supremium
    1. House von Drachenburg

Failure will always occur. Failure will lead to growth. Failure must be recognized, but not be dwelled on.

Yes I did just quote part of the Viridian Order's code, but they're some good words to follow when you rp. Nobody cares if you screw up. We just want to de-stress and have some fun.

15. BillyTheScroofy

BillyTheScroofy Killing children one roleplay line at a time Staff Member Lore3
    1. ○⊙ ᴘᴏᴋéᴍᴏɴ ᴄᴇɴᴛᴇʀ ᴍᴀssɪᴠᴇᴄʀᴀғᴛ ⊙○

Sounds like you've already made up your mind. Just saying.

16. Suzzie

Suzzie in the virtual_ZONE

Hey dude. Writing is hard to improve, but hear me out. The best way for you to learn is observation. Do you read a lot? If not, read more. Read fantasy books, or honestly any fiction, or even non-fiction. Take note of other people’s writing styles, and you can observe others on Massive too, even. I formed mine by picking and taking things from other authors and such that I liked. You probability aren’t going to jump where you want to be overnight, but know it’s possible, -and you’ll get there in time. And hey,you’ve already got a leg up on others in my book, you use proper grammar and punctuation.

There’s also nothing wrong for your character to share your personality. A lot of mine have at least one aspect of mine- that’s what makes them playable.

17. Aespair

Aespair H. Bartholomew

You seem to have the basic concept of a sentence down. What exactly do you think you cannot grasp about writing/roleplay? You don’t have to be a genius to have fun with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Crystal98

Reading makes me feel so intimidated (I don’t stop reading the books though)

19. Winterless

Winterless Hero Staff Member Game2
    1. Argost

I think you just gotta keep at it tbh

Everyone's shite at the start

20. RandomMinez

RandomMinez The Raging Reaper

/nickname use OOC Something
    Always put )) at the end of your sentences and Ta-da. Magic!

21. Crystal98

22. MokeDuck

MokeDuck Hail the duckfather!
    1. The Glorious Kingdom of Celetil

Oh, don't worry about the personalities of your characters. I had a single RP character, and it more or less had my personality. I had a good bit of fun with it. Although, if you really don't want to roleplay in Regalia or anything, share a bit about what makes you want to roleplay and maybe someone can suggest something else that fits your preferences a bit more.

23. Crystal98

Well, now I’m going to try again.. if it really isn’t that bad for your character to have your personality..

But.. my skin is really bad, so i don’t think it would go well with everyone else.

24. GodRoleplayer

GodRoleplayer Diesel Forklift > Actual Car

Skins are just a rendition of pixels on a skin tied together to make a splash of texture that just seems right, and doesn’t honestly matter. You’ll ease into your talent, find the ropes and all things come later as you maybe multitask or find the right connections.

No need to worry, just go with what suits you and the rest will just have to accept. It isn’t their decision unless it breaks the rules.

25. Lord_Deadpool

Lord_Deadpool the bugmaster of roleplay

Try playing some DnD, that might work as well. People that play the game are rather patient with newcomers

26. Crystal98

I can’t, don’t have a place for it and I’m scared to ask my parents
    Plus, I’m really awkward with my voice because I hate it, I’m trans so it sounds like a boy and idk how to change it

27. digimoto

digimoto Beggar

you don't need dnd although it'd help.

Just like any skill, practice makes perfect for example skateboarding, martial arts, dancing or even first person shooters, you're not going to get things right the first time maybe even the second try hell even the 100th try. Naturally you're going to feel awkward/anxious rping if you're bad at it, you're publicly failing over and over again however no one is perfect from the get go and a lot of people are bad from the get go, that's a normal thing to experience and is key to the learning/improvement process.

People will of course pick up on things quicker than others and again it's natural and is because they have previous experience elsewhere (dnd for example) that's natural, my advice is to focus on your own improvements through observation and practice, you'll pick things up along the way and eventually reach where you want to go. No one said rping was going to be easy and there's always going to be someone undoubtedly older/more experienced than you are, so don't expect yourself to have to be at that level immediately learn what you can. If the anxiety is too much for you after you've given it a second shot, I believe leaving, practising elsewhere in perhaps a smaller community and then come back when your ready, might help best if you struggle there and can't cope maybe you should consult a psychologist or doctor.

#27 digimoto, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  28. Lord_Deadpool

Lord_Deadpool the bugmaster of roleplay

You dont have to do it live, you can do it online as well. Roll 20 is my bes example for the online dnd world