Hadar Alpha Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by MonMarty, Jul 28, 2020.

1. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

[​IMG]
    This thread is meant to track any major problems arising with the new Survival map Hadar. The current export on the server is an Alpha build (though it is essentially read for use at 96%). The world still has a few mechanical issues and some things still need to be done. For example, the following things aren't on the map yet:
    • Dwarven Ruins, which I believe to be better explored when the map comes out.
    • Additional "simple" Caves. While the lava lakes, water lakes and underground forests are a thing, smaller caves haven't been implemented yet.
    • Additional Bo2's in the North West of the map, the Sakura Forests. It's just trees for the time being, but there will be additional objects like buildings, shrines and what not in that Biome.
    The feedback we're looking for is mostly "a second pair of eyes", or in this case, several dozen pairs of eyes. Some biomes are obviously prettier than others, and some smaller flaws will obviously always happen on the map, it's entirely impossible to make a map with not a single block issue, especially when the map itself has 39 million content blocks. As such, on this thread, we're not terribly interested in screenshots of:
    • Trees that are largely attached to the ground but only have 1 root sticking in the air.
    • The highway roads (they will be worldedited to be fixed when the map comes out).
    • The volcano's (many of them will have lava put into them with worldedit post release.
    • The Underwater corals (they are a pain to place and I don't think there currently is a better way)
    We are definitely interested in seeing screenshot reports of major issues that players are experiencing on the map while moving around it:
    • Obviously floating trees or bushes or buildings that should be on the ground.
    • Block dithering that looks ugly (brown stone sliding into gray stone).
    • Clear rendering errors and chunks that get cut off.
    • Stuff that just does not make the cut to the general world design quality that we have.
    • Areas that just really lack content.
    I should leave a lasting note that much of the geography is set. I don't want to alter the terrain slopes and mountains and what not too much, because it causes cascading problems to layers further down the map making logistics. I've flown around the map for several hours and I'm fairly confident nobody will find any egregiously ugly ground formations. Aside from that, I'm open to any feedback on the map. This map will remain in feedback rotation until next Sunday, when I will take it down, and meanwhile start working on potential major issues that are reported. I absolutely insist that if you find something ugly you make a screenshot, post on this thread, and also provide coordinates so I can personally go there to investigate it and match it onto my map making file. Reports without valid screenshots/coordinates will be deleted. Thread clutter will be deleted.

When the feedback rotation is complete, we'll have a meeting with Tech staff what the current status of the 1.15 release is. If we can coordinate it at the same time, great. If not, then we might have to release it a few weeks before, because I'd like to have a short layover to start producing the 1.15 cold biome map.

• Powerful Powerful x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. ZiHAMMER

ZiHAMMER Violettee is a transgender

3. indyfan98

indyfan98 I'm not narcissistic. I'm just better than you. Staff Member PR1
    1. Dread Empire Mage School AU

Issue: There are some bushes around spawn that float about five blocks in the air. Every occurance of them is like this.

Screenshot/Coordinates:
    issue1.PNG

4. EricKilla

EricKilla Kaiser Supremium

Thanks for posting this! So far I am really liking the map. It's got some familiar aspects to Essalonia but it's also very different in a lot of places.

So far the only real BO2s I have any issues with are the little ships dotting around, they're really basic looking and are kinda just thrown together, especially in comparison to the larger ship on the west side of the map. I'd love to see more variety, details, larger ships, etc... You could get really creative with them I think, especially in the ship graveyard area you have going on. I'd love to see a bit more of a pirate vibe like in Silverwind.

Otherwise, I had a suggestion for the next map (I had also posted this in the Massivecraft Discord):

I'd really love to see a fleshed our river system on "Project Cold" and possibly future maps.

The Riverlands in Essalonia are nice, but they're not quite there. I'd love to see a river system approximating the Mississippi river or another large size river (e.g. the Rhine, Danube, etc...) that has a proper river mouth on one of the oceans.

That'd allow for some really interesting river trading and dominance "RP" and I'd love to see what kind of "river mouth/protected harbor" cities factions could make. Imagine cities like Hamburg, Istanbul, London, NYC, Baltimore/DC, or New Orleans where they facilitate both ocean-faring trade and river based trade as well. Regalia actually has this kinda going for it as well though IDK if it has a really fleshed out harbor district

So far rivers on the current worlds, such as Essalonia, end anticlimactically before hitting the ocean. To use the Riverlands example, that river runs straight north to the winter biome as an impressive river and then just flat out stops literally right before the ocean.

An idea would be something to this effect:

BEFORE:

[​IMG]

AFTER:

[​IMG]

It'd be really cool to have a river mouth where someone build a faction nestled on both sides of the river with a harbor and also river trading facilities, bridges, naval forts, etc...

You could possibly create some interesting abandoned ruin forts (maybe kinda like the ruins in TES: Oblivion only maybe a little less cookie cutter) and have them dotted along the river like abandoned naval defense forts.

I also noticed a similar area in south Hadar:

[​IMG]

Imagine if instead of the mountain and valley in the middle, the lake/river system shown on the northern part of that photo drained straight into the ocean. (Lowkey tempted to terraform that myself honestly)

Rivers were a huge part of ancient, classical, and medieval civilization, and still are of course hugely important to this day. After all, civilization started in river valleys. Let's embrace the concept of the great rivers!

• Winner Winner x 3
  5. indyfan98

Issue: The fossils are much too common on top of the plateau. They are very repetitive and don't look all that nice.
    Screenshot/Coordinates: 4867.16 183.00 3789
    issue2.PNG
    issue_3.PNG

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Constructive Constructive x 2
  6. Shibani

Shibani A totally serious person.

I do somewhat think there is a lot of blobs of stuff about like the bone blob Indy mentioned. upload_2020-7-27_23-33-35.png It feels like it doesn't gradually build up as you venture closer to the center of all the bones, more of a boom bam you're now in skeleton forest.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. EricKilla

[​IMG]

Is there any way we can smooth out the transition on the snow in these areas? the snow fields are very square.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Knyxo

Knyxo Pathetic Premium

The world looks good overall. Some things could be improved for sure. Biggest ones for me that I noticed are below:

[​IMG]

Maybe it's just a stylistic choice I'm not a fan of, but these trees look kind of, not the best? I think it's a mix of the logs not being covered in bark, and the underside of the branches being completely flat. I can respect it if it's intentional, but just sort of seems low quality in my opinion, so figured I'd point it out.

[​IMG]

I like that there's ships in this world, it's a nice touch. These large clusters on the beaches seem a bit much though. It's a variety of things. Too many in one place. They're all facing different directions, there doesn't seem to be much logic as to why they ended up there. Also if possible maybe these could be mostly underwater? Might be a bit more fitting there.

[​IMG]

As stated above by other people, there's floating trees like these. This screenshot was taken at 2667, 611, but I noticed them basically all over the North Central edge of the map. They're probably in many places though.

[​IMG]

These in ground homes sometimes generate in weirdly in the northern swamp biome, since it's rougher terrain. Sort of just a ball of dirt that generates in above the normal terrain, doesn't look the best. This is at 3979, 770, but this is just an example.

[​IMG]

More weird and unnatural swamp biome terrain. It seems to happen from the giant trees generating next to the homes. Creates these weird unnatural shelves that don't make much sense. At 4116, 958. Bit of stuff like it near that location.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MyCatBubbles

MyCatBubbles Massivecrafts Schizo

Betting it’ll come with Project Cold.

But regardless of that, @MonMarty will there be any word of a poll I made on the factions discord? (I know that you’re not a part of it for obvious reasons, if you weren’t told I could just send a screenie of the poll) I’ve basically stated that factions are starting to lean towards a more lore friendly approach to maps and factions as a whole. And in turn the poll has currently shown that players are in favour of keeping the new maps Essalonia based, sort of off of your idea where maps would ‘likely’ be ”Eastern/Northern Essalonia” going forward and being a diverse land of a bit of everything. I’ve added on to that and proposed the idea that players could maybe even have a vote to unofficially name these regions in Essalonia which would make the world more of like a factions creation players could feel attached to rather than just “yo you’re now plopped in bumblefuck Hadar once our physical rendition of Essalonia gets removed” which would completely throw the factions that have some sort of cheesy rp/lore connection to Essalonia into chaos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. indyfan98

Issue: This issue is more with the Dynmap, but the swamp grass and leaves on the Dynmap appears purple in color, but in-game, they are a muted green.
    Screenshot/Coordinates:
    issue4.PNG

11. EricKilla

That might differ depending on your resource pack. I think the Dynmap is set to use the MassivePack but could be wrong.

12. indyfan98

I am using the Massivecraft Resource Pack. It still shows as a different color.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. darkstone

darkstone

A floating bridge:
    Coordinates: 5140, 4300

upload_2020-8-3_17-5-41.png

#13 darkstone, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  14. Vehlir Velas

Vehlir Velas The Outlander

Finally got some time to check out the map and I gotta say it's a BIG improvement over Essalonia! Transitions between various biomes feel smoother and you CRUSHED the aquatic/ocean side of things. As an avid Island lover you guys did a great job as well in that department. Wide variety of islands boasting different biomes but also coming in various sizes from larger to more private smaller islands. I give my kudos there!

I agree with some of the aforementioned sentiments about the quality of the "additional features" like shipwrecks, fossils and ruins being good, but the tendency of them to be bunched up into super dense clusters to be offputting.

As you mentioned about not yet implementing caves, might I suggest when doing this also consider creation of some Sea Cliff & Underwater caverns!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. MonMarty

MonMarty Thotdodger Staff Member Server Owner

I noticed some of these. They will be fixed on the next cycle.
    We have a new ship builder on the team, so I will rip out the shitty bo2's and replace them with better ship builds.
    We'll include more fossils, but at a base line, I like the fossil density that way in that specific spot since it's supposed to feel like a bone graveyard, so that will most likely stay.
    That snow is not supposed to be there. When the world launches, it will have Snow-Fall Disabled, so no snow will form.
    You right. They are bo2's from Daendroc. It was a gamble to see if players would like them. If they aren't likeable, I'll just remove them and have world builders build me a bunch of new big massive trees.
    I think those happen rarely, but it seems like a slope issue. I will calculate a new slope for those bo2's and them purge the ones at too high of a slope. Some may still happen, but that seems incidental. I was never able to find any like that, and generally speaking if 1 out of 80 bo2's places oddly, that is acceptable.
    Yeah, looks like a slope issue again. It should be fixed when I just remove the spawn rules on higher slopes.
    Yeah, we'll just rename the map. I don't like the term "Northern Essalonia", it's really long. I might end up splitting the names two ways, calling this world Lonas, and the northern one Essa, so that together they become Essalonia.
    Dynmap problems are not considered issues.
    We are aware. Op states that the highways and landbridges will be worldedited to be connected to the ground post-launch.
    I'll lower the ruin density by 20%. I suppose I just liked it the way the desert cities were, nicely bunched up since it's a stylistic choice to have dense bo2's, but the density isn't a deal breaker and I understand most factions won't actually use them.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. EricKilla

Glad to see Jake getting some recognition! I'm sure once he's done it'll look amazing.

For the sunken/beached ships, I'd love to see some ships kinda like those at /tp Emporium in Regalia, that'd be lit.

I like having some areas of dense ruins. Would it be possible to keep a few clusters and then have the rest spread out?

Either way I actually really like how that desert area turned out!

Oh that's great, I'll totally reconsider that area then.

17. Vehlir Velas

I should clarify & correct myself that I actually didn't mind the density of the ruins and actual buildings, as they are obviously meant to be actual towns/cities lost to time.

What I meant more was like the massive patch of Ships on that Western Coastline. The ruins I actually found quite cool & enjoyable.

Like for example the Shipwreck (And ruins) on
    [​IMG]
    really adds a ton of character & charm to that particular island. But also the scarcity of Shipwrecks in that whole South-West Tropical region add alot of value to the Shipwreck Bo2 cause it feels really unique. Your mind instantly imagines the experience of that ship's crew, and them maybe even retreating to the island's ruins for shelter. The Environmental Storytelling in this particular example is really well done by you guys!

#17 Vehlir Velas, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  18. daniel_fre_123

daniel_fre_123 Sits alone in a corner always watching.

Minecraft 1.16.1 - Multiplayer (3rd-party Server) 09.08.2020 13_46_29.png

These floating trees are all around the area, not just those few.

19. Vehlir Velas

I was unsure of even posting this as it seemed slightly nitpicky & a small issue. Especially given how great all the other islands are but I figured given this bullet point I'd give it a mention. I had questions about THIS island. Seemed slightly under developed compared to it's fellow islands in this South West region.

The look of it in-game just struck me as odd with the uneven splotches of grass & general lack of elevation compared to others of similar size. Figured I'd ask either way! Gotta say though I do dig the mysterious arch on the island's southern portion!

[​IMG] [​IMG]